Bronze Star Contributor
Accepted Solution

How do I hook up my DVD recorder to my TV with the HD cable box?

I have tried everything and I can't seem to record off the TV with my new Samsung flatscreen TV with HDMI. I can play, but not record. The instructions tell you how to hook up a TV with HDMI and a TV with a cable box, but not if you have both a cable box and an HDMI. So I'm thinking either my hookup is incorrect, or I am programming it wrong. I am not sure what to put for "channel". With my old TV I just put it on channel 3 all the time and its not working now. I tried moving it to "DTV" but it has two numbers there: "3-1" I'm not sure what that means. The instruction manual says something about major and minor channels but it makes no sense. So I need to know A) how to hook it up; and :smileycool: when you get to the programming screen, what channel to put.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: How do I hook up my DVD recorder to my TV with the HD cable box?

Take the cable from the wall goes to the input marked cable in on the box, the box you go hdmi out to the tv, and your done with that part.  Now to access the cable box you need to press the input button on your tv's remote control until you come to that input where the hdmi cable is in, they are usually labeled input 1,2,3 on the back of the tv and you can label them with your tv remote if you wish, so that takes care of the cable box to the tv.

For the dvd player you don't say how have that hooked up, probably red, yellow, white cables.  the red and white being for sound the yellow for video.  I will assume this as dvr recorders don't usually have hdmi, but if yours does it pretty much the same.

Take those cables and run those out of the corresponding color OUTPUTS on your cable box to the INPUTS on the dvd recorder.  You should see the same colors on the outputs on the cables box.   Then you go with outputs on the recorder to another input on the tv.  you would select this input the same way you would the cable box by pressing the input button on your tv remote.

Now to record with a cable box you need to put the box on whatever channel you want to record and then put the dvd recorder on channel 3, with a box and a recorder not a dvr you can only record the channel the box is set to and you have to watch it, and you can't program the recorder to change channels like you use to.  To access recording 

If you don't understand this post back someone will be able to help.

The issue here is you use to have it where the cable came into the house straight to the recorder and out to the tv, now you need to seperate connections.

Bronze Star Contributor

I do have HDMI input on my DVD recorder. How does this affect my yellow white and red cables. Do I skip those? When I put the DVD to record on channel 3 all I get is fuzz. On my old TV you put it on channel 3 but with this one I am not so sure. This the way it's hooked up right now. I can watch DVD but not record.

Wall - coax - cable box

Cable box -hdmi- TV

TV - hdmi -DVD recorder

TV antenna in - coax-DVD recorder antenna out

Is this right?

On the DVD there is option to put L1, L2, channel 3, or DTV 1-1. I'm not sure what that 1-1 means.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Then dvd will only record what cable box is set to, but you have no input signal coming into the dvd recorder all you have is an output going from the recorder to the to watch dvd's you have nothing from you posted running to the input on the dvd to bring the signal in.

On the back of your cable box you should see yellow red and white outputs, put those on the red white yellow inputs on the dvd recorder you can then use the out hdmi to the tv.

remember to select the right input on your tv to access the recorder.

dont use the antenna in with coax to out if you hdmi run it like I described above.  See if that works for you, remember to keep the dvd recorder on channel 3 or 4 depending on what you have it set for and the cable box on whatever channel you want to record.   Also see if you have a tv/video button on the remote for the recorder, press that and you can toggle to the feed from the box.

You can also run all this coax from the wall to the in on the box, out of the box coax to the dvr recorder, and then out of the recorder coax to the tv, you will not great as good a picture that way though.

Bronze Star Contributor

I tried your hookup and I also went back to the "Setup" on the DVD recorder and reprogrammed the channels, but instead of checking the box Cable Extended Scan, which I did before, I just checked Cable. Also I put the input to L1, which is different from what I'm used to which is putting it on channel 3. But it worked! I was able to record. So I'm not sure if I did it right, but thanks!

New Visitor
RickDC

On mine it worked to do the above, yellow red and white from cable box to DVD/VCR Redcorder (Mine is called liteOn) and then the same type of cable back out to the TV inputs. So set TV to the DVD/VCR input and find when ther input is on your DVD/VCR It cou,d be L01 or L-2 etc., Mine is A-2 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

2 year old dead solved thread now locked.