Contributor
Contributor
Accepted Solution

How do I turn on/off closed captioning?

There seems to be no easy way. Help?!
Regular Contributor
dbflygirl

Re: How do I turn on/off closed captioning?

It's a setting on your TV, not cable.  Use the remote that belongs to your TV.  Use your "menu" button to navigate to it.  It should be pretty easy to find.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

If using a cable box with an HDMI cable then captions are decoded by the box -- the caption data is not passed on to the TV.  See http://captionmax.com/blog/2010/08/hdmi-and-the-missing-closed-captions/ for "why", and http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Turn-on-closed-captioning-with-Xfinity-on-SA-HD... for how to turn captions on and off with a Comcast box.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

2m3 wrote:
There seems to be no easy way. Help?!

Steps to enable and disable CC on Comcast STBs:

Motorola HD Set-Top Boxes 

1. Turn STB off and leave TV on
  2. Press Menu on STB or remote control
  3. Using the down arrow, navigate to Closed Captioning
  4. Press the right arrow to select Enabled or Disabled  

If you have a Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded cable box:

The on-screen guide has a subtitle menu screen that will allow you to enable subtitles (closed captioning) through the set top box.

The on-screen menu will enable Subtitles on only the following HD set tops including HD/DVR's when the cable box is connected using HDMI or component cables:

• 3250 HD
  • 4250 HDC
  • 8000 HD
  • 8010 HD
  • 8300 HD
  • 8300 HD MR
  • 8300 HDC
  • Cisco RNG150
  • Cisco RNG200

• Access the Main Menu by hitting the "Menu" button twice
  • Select "Setup". The Subtitle set up screen may be on page 1 or 2 of the Setup menu (on page 2 on DVR set tops, on page 1 on non-DVR's)
  • Toggle subtitles "Off" and "On"

• If this does not activate Closed Captioning, try the following:

TV User Settings

The user settings on your TV may also need to be adjusted in addition to the settings on your set-top box. This allows you to set up closed captioning. 

To
     access user settings, turn OFF your set-top box; it will remain in standby mode.

1. Press (Guide) on your remote while the set-top box is in standby mode. OR press Channel Up + Channel Down simultaneously on the front panel of the set-top box.
    2. Using the down arrow, navigate to Closed Captioning. Press the right arrow to select Enabled or Disabled  
New Visitor
lvgentry

I recently swapped out my old Comcast HD-DVR box (which was about five years old) with Comcast's latest HD-DVR box (as of December 2012).  I hooked up my Sony Bravia TV to the HD-DVR box via the HDMI cable and the closed captioning button on my Sony remote wouldn't work.  I unhooked the HDMI cable and hooked up the analog RCA video/audio cables to the component input on my television.  Using this input, I could get the Sony remote to activate the closed captioning on the non-HD channels but not on the HD channels.  Leaving the RCA cables in place, I re-hooked up the HDMI cable from the HD-DVR box to the HDMI input on the TV.  If I select the HDMI input from the Sony remote, the closed captioning doesn't work on any channels.  If I select the component input from the Sony remote, the closed captioning works on all channels.  You have to have the HDMI cable connected from the box to your TV, you have to have the RCA video/audio cables (there are five RCA plugs, three for video and two for audio) hooked up from the box to the TV component input, and you have to select the component input and watch TV from that input if you want to use the closed captioning you're used to seeing.  It sounds complicated but once you have it hooked up, it's just a matter of changing your video input when you want to see closed captioning.  I'm Larry Gentry on facebook if you need help.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

On Motorola-based boxes updated to A30 software, you an now turn CC on and off from the main menu, and change the CC background between black and clear. More detailed settings still require the power-off/MENU method if you want to change fonts, color, etc...

New Visitor
gpluna

The software on my Motorola DCH3416 is ver: 78.53-A28p0-4.1005.r-8. I called Comcast and asked about A30 software. Was unable to get a satisfactory answer. Is this A30 software available nationwide or just in certain areas? Do I have to ask for it or is it an automatic upgrade?

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Your box will be updated automatically when they make it available in your area. They roll it out slowly at first as other back-end features may need updating first.

New Visitor
jon_k22

go to menu on the cable box go to main menu

then select setup

then closed captioning setup 

and turn it off you can do it all the the remote 

New Visitor
phil314

yea there is no "easy" way, like a button on the remote (you know like the CC button on ALL my TV remotes).

PLEASE COMCAST add the feature as a button that is available on almost any tv remote.

Also please forward the CC signal to the TV so my TV can do it natively (and better) 

The "switch off box - enable cc" feature is ridiculous, and the "subtitle menu" is not reachable while watching on-demand shows (or enlighten me how).

Sometimes i just want to enable cc for a few sentences but it's soo hard to use.

And btw, it's not just for people who don't hear, i use it to understand some UK English shows.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

If you use an SD output, then CC is sent. The problem is that there isn't a standard for transmitting CC over component or HDMI outputs.

New Visitor
InigoJones

But when I turn my STB off, my TV goes off, too.  I didn't hook this all up, I'm just trying to get rid of the closed captions!

New Visitor
InigoJones

It didn't work.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

InigoJones wrote:

But when I turn my STB off, my TV goes off, too.  I didn't hook this all up, I'm just trying to get rid of the closed captions!

Apologies for this issue. I can see that you have a Motorola cable box but not sure entirely of the model number.

I can also see that there is an open ticket on your account that is being worked for this situation. Thanks for your patience. 

You are able to turn the cable box OFF using the power button located on the front panel of the box while leaving the TV set ON.  

Also, how is the TV connected to the cable box? HDMI? Component cables? Coaxial cables?  

Steps to enable and disable CC on Comcast STBs:

Motorola HD Set-Top Boxes 

1. Turn STB off and leave TV on
  2. Press Menu on STB or remote control
  3. Using the down arrow, navigate to Closed Captioning
  4. Press the right arrow to select Enabled or Disabled  

Also, you can try this:

To modify the Closed Captioning settings:

1. Access the TV Guide Main Menu (press Menu twice on the Comcast silver remote control)
  2. Using the arrow keys, navigate to Setup and press OK/Select 
  3. Using the arrow keys, navigate to Closed Captioning Setup and press OK/Select

4. Using the remote control, modify the Closed Captioning and Background settings as needed and press OK/Select to confirm the settings

5. Additional settings such as Font size, Color, Service selection, etc. still require accessing through the set top box diagnostics menu (accessed by pressing the power key to turn the set top box off and then followed by pressing the menu key on the set top box).

Note: This feature is only available for HD and HD-DVR STBs. Standard Definition Boxes must continue to use the Closed Captioning feature built into their TV.

If the above doesn't work or you have a non-HD cable box, the closed captioning may be showing from your TV set (not the cable box). Locate your remote control for your  TV set (not the Comcast remote)and check the TV's menu setting or closed captioning settings.

I hope that works for you. 

New Visitor
raytate

Thank You for your input, very inlightling.

New Visitor
spf0517

Great Info.

New Visitor
flugler

I just had the same problem on the new version of the cable box with the updated Comcast software. Very simple. Hit the Menu button (the one that says xfinity in red). Go to the last icon for settings. Go to Device Settings and you will see that Closed Captioning is the first choice. You toggle on/off.