New Visitor

How many TVs can I have on cable

Does anyone know if COMCAST Digital works with a power splitter?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: How many TVs can I have on cable

It's entirely a matter of your signal strength.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

[ Edited ]

Power Splitter? -OR- COAX Splitter?

Each time you split the signal, the signal suffers loss, the greater the number of drops on the splitter or the number splitters in the network, the much weaker the signal gets.

With Analog, a weak signal causes a fuzzy and snowy picture and picture gets progressively worse as the signal gets weaker.  With Digital, a weaker signal often will look fine, until it gets to weak, then the digital equipment won't produce a picture at all.

The STB's send signals back upstream to do "On Demand" and PPV, so the splitters and extra TV's weaken the signal going upstream as well.  So some of the functions may NOT work also.

The higher the frequency the greater the loss, so you'll some channels go bad before others.

Add extra TV's if you want, just be aware of and look for the symptoms of a weak signal.

A drop amp will increase signal strength, to make up for the loses from the splitters.  BUT, most drop amps will just add to the loss for the signal going back upstream.  There are drop amps that amplify the upstream signal as well, but get a good one, a bad one will amplify upstream poorly and create interference. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Or use a 3 way or 4 way spliter off the main feed coming into your house and direct feeds into the TVs you want from the splitter. Splice connectors in the line can cause some signal strength loss so try to keep those to a minimum.

Networking Expert
Weil

WarEagle57 wrote:

And you can buy an amplifier/splitter made for "digital" cable at many places (Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc.) that eliminates the worry over signal strength.  It also should protect your tv against lightning ingress on the cable line.

sam

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

Weil wrote:

WarEagle57 wrote:

And you can buy an amplifier/splitter made for "digital" cable at many places (Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc.) that eliminates the worry over signal strength.  It also should protect your tv against lightning ingress on the cable line.

sam

You may go nuts looking for a "digital" amplifier.  Amplifing a digital signal is no different than amplifying an analog one, except digital cable service has some differences that the amp has to support or it will create problems, arguably You want a drop amp and you want a better quality one, if its a good brand and it states on it that it is designed to be used with Digital Cable service, then what you want.

My point, just because an amp does NOT state its a "Digital Amp" does NOT mean it won't amplify digital signals.  BUT, Sam would be 100% correct to state tons of cheap drop amps will NOT work digital cable service, look for one that states it works with Digital Cable service.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the specs, but digital cable needs to travel both ways on the COAX and it goes to a higher frequency than analog, just short of 1GHz. So you need a drop amp, that:

*Has a return path -a.k.a.- bi-directional (2 way, often refers to a splitting the signal to 2 drops, NOT return path or bi-directional, don't be confused by the sales pitch on the packaging).

*47MHz-9850MHz, check those figures, I know I'm off on them, but the point is, it has to support just short of 1GHz bandwidth, starting at the high 40's and ending just short of 1GHz.

You'll find real quality drop amps online for only a few dollars more than you spend at a local retail store, and in most cases you're NOT really going to know what your getting at a local retail store.  There was thread a while back talking about the good drop amps to get.

Contributor
CFS50

I recently was forced to get additional equipment for my TV to work. I was supplied with two boxes and told I would have to pay $2.00 a month for additional boxes. I feel that this is very bad customer treatment. When I received my Comcast connection originally, I was told that I could hook up as many TV in my house as I see fit. Comcast has gone back on their originally agreement. I feel that this is this feeble attempt to charge hard working people more money. I will certainly be look for a different service in the very near future and make every attempt to get others to do the same. The only way to fix this in-justice is suppily yours customers with the nessissary equiepment or tells us where to buy it. To charge us an extra $2.00 per box every month is a criminal act. At least tell us we can buy a digital TV and it would work.

Contributor

Dish or any other provider will charge you more than 1.99$ per box. Also, you do not have any "agreement" with Comcast, so there was nothing for them to "go back" on. You can read more at http://digitalnow.comcast.com/ to see how this change benefits all Comcast customers.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

lynxexp wrote:

Dish or any other provider will charge you more than 1.99$ per box. Also, you do not have any "agreement" with Comcast, so there was nothing for them to "go back" on. You can read more at http://digitalnow.comcast.com/ to see how this change benefits all Comcast customers.

"How this change benefits all Comcast customers."?  Did you type that with a straight face???  Agree, Comcast never gave any of us a contract, I doubt they ever really gave any of the municipalities one either!

But they at least implied we could hook up as many TVs etc. as we wanted and that is no longer the case!!

Contributor
CFS50

Thanks for understanding. When they supplied me with cable, I was told I could hook-up as many TV's as I want. If Comcast wants to rise our bill, then call it that. Think about, $2.00 per. box per month supplied to millions of customers. 

Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

You can still hook up as many tv's as you want.  You also can pay the 2.00 per box over the first two if it's imperative that those other tv's get the channels above 20 or so.  If it's not than you can easily just keep those tv's getting those channels.  Yes this transition does not benefit EVERY customer out there, however there are more than there aren't who benefit from this. 

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

jjv124 wrote:

You can still hook up as many tv's as you want.  You also can pay the 2.00 per box over the first two if it's imperative that those other tv's get the channels above 20 or so.  If it's not than you can easily just keep those tv's getting those channels.  Yes this transition does not benefit EVERY customer out there, however there are more than there aren't who benefit from this. 

I haven't see any empirical data to support that, have you?  It is also my understanding that the first two units will only be free for one year, does anybody have any additional information on that??

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I've never seen a Comcast statement that there was a time limit on the free DTAs.  As for the benefit, I now have over 100 HD channels as a result of the transition.

Regular Contributor

WarEagle57 wrote:
As for the benefit, I now have over 100 HD channels as a result of the transition.

But to get those 100 HD which box will you need to use(rent).  The DTAs do not give you HD signal

Regular Contributor

I find it difficult to accept the "every other company does it" explaination to justify the DTAs. 

I don't accept it when my 9 yr old tells me that "everyone else" does it or has it - so why should I not bristle when my cable company says it

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You would need a box with an HD tuner.  You'd also need an HD TV in order to take full advantage of the HD channels.