Visitor
W6JHB

How to adjust A/V unit volume with the Comcast remote in Cable mode?

I've got the HDMI output from the Comcast HD DVR box going into a Denon 3311 A/V unit, and from there HDMI to my Samsung TV. I've taught the Comcast remote how to "talk" to the Denon and can use it to change the volume, input source, etc. when set to "Aux". However, I'd like to keep the Comcast remote set on "Cable" and still adjust the Denon's volume. If I keep the remote set on "Cable" it always changes the TV volume. I have to press "Aux" to change the Denon's volume, then go back to "Cable" so that I can change channels, pause/start programs, etc. Kind of a pain. Can't the remote be set so that it will operate the Denon's volume while in "Cable" mode?

Most Valued Poster
jenhome

Re: How to adjust A/V unit volume with the Comcast remote in Cable mode?

Comcast remotes are set to pass through the volume to the "TV" device. I am pretty sure there is no way to do otherwise.   Can't the Denon's remote be set to change channels on the cable box?   If not, time for a universal remote. 

Bronze Star Contributor
schimmy

I was able to have the comcast remote change the volume for my Bose system only. What I had to do was first program the Aux button the the Bose system, then use the Volume locking feature so that it would only control that. Review the remote instuctions on how to lock the volume.

http://www.comcast.com/Media/1-2/CM/VanityURL/documents/comcast_dvr_remote_manual.pdf

New Visitor
JAnthonyF

It can be done.  I just posted almost the exact same question.  Have a Yamaha receiver that I was able to work the volume from the cable mode on my remote.  Got a new remote yesterday and can't remember the steps the tech guy from Comcast used.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

JAnthonyF wrote:

It can be done.  I just posted almost the exact same question.  Have a Yamaha receiver that I was able to work the volume from the cable mode on my remote.  Got a new remote yesterday and can't remember the steps the tech guy from Comcast used.

The below may assist:

Volume Lock

Volume Lock is a remote control function that forces the volume and mute keys to always send the codes for your audio device (typically the TV or an amplifier.) You can change what device is used for volume, or disable the feature. When disabled, the remote will send the volume code for whatever device is currently selected.

Setting Global Volume Lock

Global Volume Lock will force the volume and mute keys to be controlled by one device.

1. Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
  2. Type in the code 993. A device key should blink twice.
  3. Press and release the device key for the device you want the volume locked to.
  4. You will get two blinks if the lock is successful.

Disable Volume Lock for one Device

This will disable Volume lock only when a particular device is selected on the remote.

1. Press and release the device key for the device you want to disable the Volume Lock on.
  2. Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
  3. Type in the code 993. A device key should blink twice.
  4. Press and release the Volume Down (Vol -) button.
  5. The device key will blink FOUR times if successful.

Disable Global Volume Lock

This will disable Volume Lock for all devices. The Volume and Mute keys will send the codes for the selected device.

1. Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
  2. Type in the code 993. A device key should blink twice.
  3. Press and release the Volume Up (Vol +) button.
  4. A device key will blink FOUR times if successful.