Regular Contributor
Nemo1220

How to turn up volume on digital cable box??

We just had our digital upgrade equipment connected this week by a technician from Comcast. Tried doing it myself but the set top box Comcast shipped was a dud. Guess Comcast doesn't check it's equipment before shipping it to customers. We have a digital adapter on one tv and a set top box on another. The picture quality is only slightly improved, but the audio is a real pain.

On the adapter the audio is either too loud or way too low. And we have to constantly adjust the volume level while watching a program.It can be find one moment, then drop low or high the next. And during the commercials you nearly get blow out of your seat.

The set top box, which is an Atlanta Explorer 2200, has a problem with the volume being too low on nearly all the channels. I unlocked the volume controls, but it only helped a little. When I try watching something I have to turn the volume up almost as high as it can go.

Is there anyway to level the volume on the adapter and turn it up on the set top box? Being unable to hear your favorite programs very well takes all the fun out of watching tv.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: How to turn up volume on digital cable box??

Try going into your television sets menus. Look for an AUDIO section. Many have the option for Fixed or Variable. Select Fixed. That levels the sound out so that the commercials don't blow you away. With Digital television sounds will vary. I have one station on an older televsion that has one channel that is about a quarter level lower than other stations normally.

Regular Contributor
Nemo1220

Thank you for the suggestion. But I do have the fixed option on.

Regular Contributor
Nemo1220

I checked to make sure all the connections are tight. I also tried adjusting the bass and treble on the TV's, but still no luck. The volume is much too low on some channels, and too loud on others. It also sounds a bit on the brassy side..if that's any help.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

Is the hook up just the coax from the box to the tv?

There is a chance you got another bad box. That would explain the sound always low. Also how many splitters in your intside cabling? Too many splitters can cause signal strength loss which could lead to the low audio. You mentioned the picture quality being acceptable. If possible make the first split right at the spot where the main cable feed comes into your house and eliminate any unneeded splitters if possible.

The small adapter has very little controls on it if I remember correctly so about all you can do is have the FIXED audio setting on that television if possible.

If the cabling is okay then you may need to replace that box and see if they have any newer models.

Good luck

And it might not hurt to request a tech check the signal strength coming into your house. Working on the outside cabling should be at no cost to you. You may have an issue there that they can see and fix.

Post back with any and all results.

Thanks

Regular Contributor
Nemo1220

I think you may have something here. I live in a apartment building and when cable was brought in the owner at the time would not allow them to put more than one wall outlet in per unit. We have two tv's connected. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. In order for this to work, the cable provider had to run a short coax from the wall outlet to a splitter. Then another coax from the spitter to the tv in the living room. Then for the bedroom, which is just on the other side of the living room wall where the outlet is, they snaked a long coax from the splitter, under the heat duct and into the next room till it could connect to the tv. The coax has to be well over 20 feet long and is sort of bent and curved.

The splitter itself has been replaced only once. But that was a long time ago and before digital tv and the cable boxes came into the picture. Looks like I am going to have to call Comcast and have someone come and check it out. Hope they won't charge too much.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Probably worth it. At least the splitters will need to be checked to make sure they can pass through the frequencies that digital television uses. The cable being bent is not a big issue but the age might be. Comcast offers a Inside Wire plan at most offices. Here it is 1.99 per month but is supposed to cover the inside cable work done. If you call a tech in you might be able to get the inside cables replaced with newer cable. When you call you can always ask how much that might cost. If you don't want to have the cabling replaced at least pick up a newer splitter. Comcast offices usually have them and I got one at no charge.

Visitor
ijfritz

Exact same problem here with Cisco RNG100 cable box.  From wall to TV is normal. Wall to cable box to TV is reduced volume level.

Any more ideas?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

On the Cisco look under the menu on the box for audio settings. If there is an AUTO setting try that. And if that doesn't work then try any other options available. It may also be an issue with your cables. Digital is funky sometimes. If it is possible make sure all your inside cable is RG-6.

Here is a link to the user manual http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/settopboxes/ciscorng100userguide.pdf

How is the box connected to the television? Standard coax or component connections?

Visitor
ijfritz

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand what you mean by looking on the Cisco (digital cable box). Sorry to seem so ignorant.  I'll have another look at the cables. It's coax all the way.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

There should be a menu button on the Comcast remote. You may have to press the menu  button twice to find the different settings. That would get you a menu for the Cisco box to change some of the settings. You would want to go into the menu and look for any audio settings. Not knowing exactly what is available for that box it would be best to try all the different settings available and see what the results are.

I know on my I have a couple of choices for different audio settings and I have an older box than yours.

Regular Contributor

i had one tv that had the cheap box and i had to use the reg. remote on it to adjust the sound, then use comcast remote to further play with sound.

New Visitor
jlafferty62

Hi Folks,

I just upgraded to Digital Starter and was supplied with a Cisco RNG 100, same issue.

In answer to the many suggestions:

Menu's for the box yield no option to set volume at all, the only option is to choose the output mode (Dolby Digital)

Cable into the TV direct is perfect, into the box, then into the TV, greatly reduced.

The manual for the box has absolutely no information on increasing the output volume from the box itself.

Ideally, what we need on this thread is someone who has found a definite solution to increase the output volume of the cable box itself.

In the meantime I will try and get in touch with support to see if they have any suggestions and post back if anything is worthy.

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Hi

Have you tried any of the other options for the audio output with the Cisco menus? The Dolby Digital is probably not going to transmit properly over coax;I would think you would need either an Digital Optical output cable or audio cables running into a receiver. I would try other options and see what happens. Since the sound is acceptable without the box that is what makes me think it is the way the audio out is set.

Also I have my television audio set to Fixed and that reduces most of the changes that comes out of the box.

New Visitor
jlafferty62

Sigh,

Ok, so your suggestion is basically "no there is no way to adjust the output volume via the coax output..."

Since I am going directly into an analog TV, not a receiver, optical is not an option, I will give an RCA output to the TV a try to see if it is a better solution.

I have to say, that settling for a workaround is sad... the set top should include gain controls for audio output, particularly in the case where it's default is set significantly below the baseline.

Thanks

New Visitor
Raldikuk

1. Press and hold Setup until the selected mode key blinks twice, then release Setup.
2. Enter 9 - 9 - 3 and then press VOL+ once. The mode key will blink four times confirming unlock.
3. Now, volume controls for all devices can be independently controlled in their own modes.

4. Press menu

5. Press ok

6. Select Setup

7. Select Audio Setup

8. Select Select to Optimize

9. Now you can press the volume up to your desire. Default has the output from the box at around 75%.