New Visitor
brucipher
Accepted Solution

Limited Basic Channel Encryption - BOOOOOO

Hello,

First time poster here.  I just needed to comment on my frustration and disgust with Comcast.  It feels like they just keep moving backwards.

Comcast is constantly raising my prices and making things less convenient.  Prior to Tuesday I could just plug the cable into my QAM tuner TVs and get the channels, and now you are encrypting even the limited basic channels.

Now I have to have a stupid HD-DTA.  This means finding another outlet to plug something into, another remote to deal with, etc.  What really gets my goat, is if I want to just "flip" through channels I have to go through every channel I do not subscribe to, which is dozens/hundreds of channels.  Every unsubscribed channel gives an annoying "You do not subscribe to this channel, call blah blah blah" message.  My channels I get jump from 25, up to 244 where I get some channels, then up to 802 where the HD channels are.  Why can't you just filter out the channels I don't subscribe to?  Are you just trying to make another sale?

Comcast is the worst...too bad you have a monopoly in my area on good internet or I would leave your company in a HEARTBEAT.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Re: Limited Basic Channel Encryption - BOOOOOO

They can filter out the channels on your plan (so you don't see the others).  However some lame-brain (my guess as you noted it makes no sense at all) bean-counter thinks (yeah right) this will encourage customers to upgrade, whereas in reality it just P*)@$&*@ them off...

Regular Contributor

Encrypting basic cable make sense.  but forcing people to get a box to see the local channels is a stupid business move.  Will just drive people away from cable and to using an antenna.

New Visitor
brucipher

I chatted with a Comcast representative today and he indicated there was no way to hide the channels I do not get.  That is another thing with Comcast...i feel like everyone I talk to gives me different answers.

I am going to buy a cheap antenna today and try it out.  Even if I dont get all the major stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and PBS) I might drop limited basic.  My friend said we only get NBC and FOX with an indoor antenna in our area.  Still better than paying $22 a month for limited basic, which is a highway robbery.

Bronze Problem Solver

brucipher wrote:

- snip -

Still better than paying $22 a month for limited basic, which is a highway robbery.

Even more so when one finds out that people in some cities/towns  (local franchise) are only paying $12-$14 for limited basic.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

reggie77 wrote:

Encrypting basic cable make sense.  but forcing people to get a box to see the local channels is a stupid business move.  Will just drive people away from cable and to using an antenna.

How would a company encrypt basic cable without forcing people to get a box (local channels are an integral part of basic cable)??

New Visitor
brucipher

Where I live basic cable has been encrypted for a while now (like channels 25 - 80), but the limited basic channels (1-25), i.e. CBS/NBC/etc., were only just encrypted as of this past Wednesday.

New Visitor
jschno200

[ Edited ]

digital encryption is a national/international standard because the previous bandwidth chunk was sold to mobile phone providers to allow more 4G availability. congress issued vouchers to people that purchased their own digital adapters when this was first initiated about a decade ago. it isn't a new thing.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Just cancel all tv services with them and get a good outdoor antenna.Why in the world anybody would pay for channels that are there for the taking 100% free perfect Hd over the air in fact over the air Hd has a better picture then comcast Hd. Try it you will never look back.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

jschno200 wrote:

digital encryption is a national/international standard because the previous bandwidth chunk was sold to mobile phone providers to allow more 4G availability. congress issued vouchers to people that purchased their own digital adapters when this was first initiated about a decade ago. it isn't a new thing.

You're confusing the over-the-air digital migration Congress mandated with the encryption of Limited Basic so dearly fought for by the cable companies. They're not the same. Broadcasters were required to switch to digital. Cable companies are now allowed to encrypt Limited Basic if they so choose.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

brucipher wrote: Where I live basic cable has been encrypted for a while now ...

Instead of writing "basic cable", it's best to name the actual tier. Some understand "basic cable" to mean "the least expensive" tier ("Limited Basic"), others "the tier most customers have" (probably "Digital Starter").

New Visitor
Tskillman

I agree, this change sucks. A monopoly abusing its power, again.

New Visitor
Tskillman

Jim721,

This is great!  I had no idea I could get HD via air antenna.  I took a couple 3' lenghts of wire, attached them to an old Comcast push-on coax connector, pinned the wires in a "T" behind the TV, switched the TV from cable to air antenna, then selected auto-program. My 42" Samsung immediately found 20 channels that all look as good or better then Comcast Basic Cable.

Again, Thanks. (And kudos to the internets :-)

Tom

Contributor
smooth2222

also for every tv in the house you now have to pay for the convertor box since its encrytped.

New Visitor

Ah, lets not forget the monthly $1.99 fee, plus taxes for each DTA converter required per TV. This is effectlivly raising our cable rates $2 per TV in your house. Leaving Comcast today.

New Visitor
brucipher

Thank you all for your feedback, support, and kudos!

I would love nothing more than to go to an antenna.  I've recently tried a couple indoor antennas with minimal success (I was able to get an NBC and FOX channel).  Neither antenna seemed to be the greatest quality.  My big problem is a lot of the tranmitters are about 40-45 miles away...so an indoor antenna probably won't cut it.  I don't know if I really feel like dealing with a roof mounted antenna, so I might just have to live with a couple stations.  All I know is I want to cut the Comcast cable cord by 2014.

Have any of you tried the MoHu Leaf Ultimate (indoor antenna)?  It claims to have a 50 mile range, but I am skeptical. It is also pricey.  I wouldn't mind buying one and trying it, but I can't find a local store that carries it in case I want to return it.  If i order online and don't like it I have to pay return shipping, which I don't feel like dealing with.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Check out this link

http://www.antennasdirect.com/

My niece apparently went to the ClearStream 2 model. When she first got it last fall/winter it was on her deck at ground level. She got all her stations.Towers maybe around 35 miles for her.

It may be an option for you.

New Visitor
Fridaythe13th-0

You are absolutely correct on all accounts.  Yesterday I had a good picture. In fact, I've had a good picture for years. Today it is garbage.  Today I have to install all this stuff I don't want to give me a lo-res junk picture.  Months ago we were told there was no analog signal, but here we are basic coming in over the analog tuner.  Life is hard enough without the cable company making it harder.  Spend money to push junk on its paying customers.  Thanks A lot.

It's simple.  Basic should be just that.  Basic.  No boxes and no dumbed down signals, limited channels.  Heck hi def pic is broadcast over the air for free and we gotta pay for lo res, really.  At least let my couple of channels come through like they are supposed to.

Exploring Options.  Distgusted how this whole industry operates.

New Visitor
Fridaythe13th-0

Why?  Why does encrypting make sense.  

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Fridaythe13th-0 wrote:

Why?  Why does encrypting make sense.  

It only makes sense to the control freak bean counters @ Comcast!

New Visitor
Technician1961

I recently had excellent results installing an RCA ANT751r on the side of a client's home.  I connected it via RG59U and a standard cable splitter to both legs of the cable circuit for the home.  The TV furthest from the antenna has at least 50ft of cable, a two-way splitter, and a four-way splitter in the path and still picked up pretty much every OTA signal in the Seattle area.  The home is on the Kent valley hillside with a direct view of downtown Seattle, so it's a very advantageous position.  Other installation techiques can mitigate poor line-of-sight to source.   Amplification, raised antennas, and low-impedance cables are all good choices.    Time is right to cut the cord.  The RCA antenna is under 50 bux on Amazon.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

New Visitor
solodoe

These cable crooks just lost my business!

They have messed with my wallet one too many times!

I woke up this morning to once again not being able to watch my tv! They keep raising the price and taking away more and more!

I have basic tv, paying $29.73 a month!

Now they say I have to get more equipment???

I have a digital tv I should not need more equipment.

Now they have "scrambled" my channels so I cannot even watch any local tv!

To all you Vermont customers! Go to VTEL! They are now implementing tv and have some great packages available at much lower rates!

I am not able to sign up as yet, but very soon. I am going without tv until then.

Good luck everyone!!!

Contributor
nsteblay

I will be looking at other options for Internet.  Century link has equivalent speeds for much cheaper.  I'll be cancelling my Comcast account soon.  

This should get more press.  I'm going to see if the Star Tribune can run a story.  This will be a big money loser for Comcast.

Regular Contributor
PELLEHS

they did the same here. it is because they thought they were not making enough money from people. now we have to get the dta, $15.00 for the self-install kit, and another $1.99 each month for the stupid thing. and the picture quality is not that great. biggest ripoff company ever

Regular Contributor
PELLEHS

yes, I switched to centurylink, DSL much cheaper, and faster than comcast lousy blast

New Visitor
Fridaythe13th-0

Picture is garbage. Way worse than when signal was analog.  People don't even have skin - CLAY People, 4x3 screen with bars on the side, and when shows widescreen you are box in a box at less than half the screen.

What is so hard about letting people have basic cable with clear picture.  I could get that until yesterday. Why do we have to add equipment to ruin the picture?  It wrecks my day.

PELLEHS wrote:

they did the same here. it is because they thought they were not making enough money from people. now we have to get the dta, $15.00 for the self-install kit, and another $1.99 each month for the stupid thing. and the picture quality is not that great. biggest ripoff company ever

Contributor

The digital signal was intituted 10 years ago. Now comcast is saying even though we can recieve a digital signal to our tv with out a cable box we need to use their box and remote to get basic tv channels. Prior to today we only recieved the channels we payed for and the reception was just fine. now we have to add more equipment and wires and a remote just to receive the same service. Not to mention that in ten years the cost of basic cable has tripled!!!!!

New Visitor
jberry910

I'll be changing my service asap. Website says it's free for 2 years, but they are charging my per adapter and they charged me for a 'self' install kit. What a joke.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

jevgal wrote:

The digital signal was intituted 10 years ago. Now comcast is saying even though we can recieve a digital signal to our tv with out a cable box we need to use their box and remote to get basic tv channels. Prior to today we only recieved the channels we payed for and the reception was just fine. now we have to add more equipment and wires and a remote just to receive the same service. Not to mention that in ten years the cost of basic cable has tripled!!!!!

You can thank your "bought and paid for" FCC!  Comcast is just one of the many corporations that Dylan Ratigan refers to:  "google it"..

Contributor
Imdoody

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/DTA-Horrors/td-p/1231409
Here is another thread detailing the poor service and choices of comcast, I've basically wrote a short novel about my frustrations..
I am writing this sitting in the comcast service center parking lot because my dtas still don't work correctly... Here goes round 10...
New Visitor
chengx

I pay $31.95 for limited basic and only got scrambled signal.

Contributor
Imdoody

I feel your pain. I now have an on site scheduled for this Saturday because NO ONE can seem to figure it out... I would scrap the whole thing except it's still cheaper to include limited basic TV with Internet than just Internet alone. Just fricken ridiculous!
New Visitor
aquanutter

The vouchers were to provide digital to analog conversion, not to unscramble cable digital signals.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

[ Edited ]

aquanutter wrote:

The vouchers were to provide digital to analog conversion, not to unscramble cable digital signals.

The do also unscamble encrypted signals.

Regular Contributor
PELLEHS

yes, and they do not tell you about the self-install charge when you pick up the rediculous adapter. they step about 5 feet, and hand you a box. ripoff. I returned mine

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Jim721 wrote:

aquanutter wrote:

The vouchers that the Government issued were so people could purchase digital converters for the signals (that The FCC mandated TV stations to broadcast) and see the stations on their analog tuner TVs.  It/they didn't have anything to do with encryption of channels/stations.  This encryption of local/basic channels is a way for Comcast to make more money (and cause more grief for customers) although they say it is so they don't have to send out trucks to change the service when somebody drops their local/basic tier of service (thus saving money on gas!).  YMMV

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

edpeters wrote:

Jim721 wrote:

aquanutter wrote:

The vouchers that the Government issued were so people could purchase digital converters for the signals (that The FCC mandated TV stations to broadcast) and see the stations on their analog tuner TVs.  It/they didn't have anything to do with encryption of channels/stations.  This encryption of local/basic channels is a way for Comcast to make more money (and cause more grief for customers) although they say it is so they don't have to send out trucks to change the service when somebody drops their local/basic tier of service (thus saving money on gas!).  YMMV

I understand what your saying but they do indeed unscramble encrypted channels or you would not need one once encryption takes place. 

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

The converter boxes that people got with Government boxes (using vouchers) do not work with encrypted signals!  Only Comcast boxes, or some other tuners that you can put a Comcast Cable card into will work with Comcast encrypted channels.

Contributor
captsugar

edpeters et al

As I have indicated on other threads, when Comcast encrypted basic channels it was obligated under FCC rule 76.1621 to provide equipment that allows "the simultaneous reception of any two encrypted signals and to provide for tuning to alternative channels on a pre-programmed schedule.." Comcast's DTA  simply does not meet this requirement.

I urge all affected Comcast limited basic users to complain to the FCC as I have and maybe we can get something done.

Here is the rule:

§76.1621   Equipment compatibility offer.

Cable system operators that use scrambling, encryption or similar technologies in conjunction with cable system terminal devices, as defined in §15.3(e) of this chapter, that may affect subscribers' reception of signals shall offer to supply each subscriber with special equipment that will enable the simultaneous reception of multiple signals. The equipment offered shall include a single terminal device with dual descramblers/decoders and/or timers and bypass switches. Other equipment, such as two independent set-top terminal devices may be offered at the same time that the single terminal device with dual tuners/descramblers is offered. For purposes of this rule, two set-top devices linked by a control system that provides functionality equivalent to that of a single device with dual descramblers is considered to be the same as a terminal device with dual descramblers/decoders.

(a) The offer of special equipment shall be made to new subscribers at the time they subscribe and to all subscribers at least once each year.

(b) Such special equipment shall, at a minimum, have the capability:

(1) To allow simultaneous reception of any two scrambled or encrypted signals and to provide for tuning to alternative channels on a pre-programmed schedule; and

(2) To allow direct reception of all other signals that do not need to be processed through descrambling or decryption circuitry (this capability can generally be provided through a separate by-pass switch or through internal by-pass circuitry in a cable system terminal device).

(c) Cable system operators shall determine the specific equipment needed by individual subscribers on a case-by-case basis, in consultation with the subscriber. Cable system operators are required to make a good faith effort to provide subscribers with the amount and types of special equipment needed to resolve their individual compatibility problems.

(d) Cable operators shall provide such equipment at the request of individual subscribers and may charge for purchase or lease of the equipment and its installation in accordance with the provisions of the rate regulation rules for customer premises equipment used to receive the basic service tier, as set forth in §76.923. Notwithstanding the required annual offering, cable operators shall respond to subscriber requests for special equipment for reception of multiple signals that are made at any time.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds