Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Limited Basic encryption by Comcast

The latest info I can find concern Comcast misguided encryption of the local/basic channels can be found at:  Note there is a minor break for 'Medicaid' but not for 'seniors/Medicare'.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/limited-basic-encryption/

This is in addition to the information that Comcast put out last year (has anybody received more efficient equipment from Comcast)?

Very few customers will be impacted by this change. Most customers already have digital boxes that allow them to view encrypted channels.

For qualifying customers who will need additional equipment, we will be providing that equipment at no additional charge to ensure uninterrupted access to the basic tier.

At this time there are no changes to your service. These changes will not take place until 2013. Impacted customers will be notified with important information when any changes occur.

We are working with Boxee (an over-the-top provider) and will have a compatible equipment solution available for use with Digital Network Living Alliance (DNLA) compliant devices prior to the Basic service tier encryption.

An HD digital adapter solution will be available to customers, prior to encrypting the Basic service tier to allow customers the ability to continue viewing these channels in an HD format.

More details will be available widely and soon

We will provide equipment to qualifying impacted customers at no additional cost, prior to encrypting our basic tier of service.

There are also some power conservation items that you will see implemented into our cable boxes in 2013.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: Limited Basic encryption by Comcast

Don't know how much more efficient they are but when Comcast removed the analog feeds here they gave out DTAs. Received the newer Technicolor units.

I had 2 of the older DTAs, possibly Motorola 50x units if I remember correctly, when I had Digital Prefered and the first phase of the Digital Migration. I remember those were very warm to the touch.

These newer units run cooler. I think they use about 5-7 watts, about like a night light.

They also seem to be more stable.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Interesting, my units run very warm!  What is the model of the new units, I may jog over to Comcast and see if I can pick up a couple of the newer units, maybe they will work with Hauppauge IR blaster also?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

DCI105COM1.

From what I could find they are the new Technicolor. I could be wrong.

But they feel no warmer than a night light bulb. I remember the older units I didn't want to handle to long when they were plugged in.