Visitor
Beachman99
Accepted Solution

Local HD channels gone?

I live in New Jersey and I have my HD TV connected by just the coxial cable.  I've had this set-up for almost 3 years now.  I used to get the local tv channels in HD as 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 and so on but this morning they are all gone.  I get no channels with the .1 at the end.  Also some channels like NBC would have 4.2, 4.3 that were not in HD and they are gone also.  Anyone else expierence this? or at least know what is going on?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Local HD channels gone?

Have you tried a rescan?

Regular Contributor
mrgooch

[ Edited ]

I live in NJ also and had the same exact thing happen. I did what Comcast wants us to do and subscribe to HD. Now the problems gone except for my second set. You can scan all you want without any results.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The Comcast forum administrator has been informed, and asked to investigate.

Official Employee
ComcastSteve

Checking for answers.

Steve Teow

Regular Contributor
mrgooch

[ Edited ]

Today I had a tecnician replace all connectors,splitters and some wiring to bring my system up to date. I now have On Demand working. But it would not help me in getting back my HD local channels on my second set that i am using without a box.

Visitor
Beachman99

Yeah re-scanning does nothing.  I called comcast today and they said the only way to get the HD channels is to get a box for $6.00 per month.  Exactly what channels this would enable me to get the person didn't know.  She said I would get up to channel 199.  But that doesnt make sense to me since I only have the basic expanded and only get up to 73 now.  Oh well...

Regular Contributor
mrgooch

HD starts at 199

Contributor
christansits

I live in PA - We have 2 high def tv's with qam tuners and have "extended basic".  We can get all the local over the air channels like 22.1, 16.1 etc.  Since hooking up to their little digital box, we get NO HDTV.  None.  Nada.  Zip.  So, I'm guessing it's an attempt at highjacking more money from us to get a HD box??  They MUST be scrambling those local channels.  It seems like it should be illegal.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

christansits

The little DTA's were never intended for HDTV's, they were designed for older cable ready TV's to continue to receive the extended basic channels that were being removed from the analog tier.

There are workarounds to continue to receive the clear QAM HD channels.  You need to add a splitter, a few coax jumpers and a A/B switch to switch between the DTA output and the direct coax cable.

The instructions are HERE

Some Comcast offices will supply the equipment to do this, in my area they told me to go to Radio Shack.

Your best HD experience is getting a full HD set top box at the additional monthly fee.  That is what Comcast expects.  Anything else gives you a limited amount of HD channels.

Contributor
christansits

Jay thanks - I wonder why they gave us those little boxes then??  This stuff will drive you nuts - I'm not technologically challenged either! All these boxes, switches, etc... seem archiac?!   Another thing - two of our TV's - one is a digital tv one is analog - aren't getting a picture now - they said WE need to get a "booster" - we have a booster - so now what - they aren't supplying enough power??  I think a part of the problem is that the Comcast reps don't know what they are doing - last time we tried the boxes - they claimed we'd get MORE HD channels - well HELLO - WHY didn't they tell us we needed the HIGH PRICED HD boxes???  I'm ready to just cancel the whole thing - too much aggrevation for the few hours a week (if that) that we watch TV.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

christansits

I've notified the Comcast Corp team on your issues, and he will do what it takes to make it right.

Expect a update from the team in the next couple of days.

Contributor
christansits

Jay - thanks - We were going to go back to the Comcast store at the mall (again) tonight.  Should we not?

We have tried this box thing two times already and returned them.  (because of losing our local HD channels).  Now Comcast says we MUST have them or lose ALL our channels - so we did.  I stopped in there last week, and got 2 little boxes and a wanted a bigger box (because I wanted OnDemand).  They had big boxes but they were't "ready" - she said "we can send one to your house" and I said OKAY! - then she said "there's a charge" (why? it's not my fault they didn't have them ready) - and I told her we'd be back to pick it up.  My husband went down yesterday, got the bigger box and more little ones (total 5 little boxes one big one) and we hooked them all up.  Called as instructed, spent over an HOUR running up and downstairs to try to get them working.  End result?  Broken big box - WE have to go back there AGAIN to get ANOTHER box.  Two of our other tv's aren't working all of a sudden - oh - we need to get ANOTHER booster.  Why?  They worked before the little boxes?!  Today, when I turned on the tv's - ALL of them had NO channels - except channel 3!!! ... I am really at my wits end.  And the website - you have to actually PRETEND you're going to buy a package to see how much the HDTV boxes cost.  I would suggest that Comcast instruct their customer service people to ask questions of the customers, to find out what the customer is hoping to achieve.  Not ONE person we spoke to said to lease the HD box (which is what - like $10 extra?).  I am highly discouraged that Comcast doesn't support QAM tuners as well.  Thanks for listening - Please advise if we should proceed to Comcast tonight, or remain in the twilight zone or what! Thanks!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Dete will respond today.  If you can please wait for instructions from him, as he will want to make it right and end your frustration.

It might be best for him to schedule a tech and check that everything is working properly.

I'll send him a email so he has visibility on it.

Contributor
christansits

Thank you again!

Contributor
christansits

wowie - I tried to access my comcast email (which I don't normally use) to see if there were responses and got this message:  

Email currently unavailable

Please contact Comcast Support by calling 1-800-Comcast or chat live with a Comcast care representative.

Please reference error code: 400.

Contributor
christansits

okay - I got the email, but when I click on the link to see my response - I get that error message - I guess it's just a link back to this thread ..

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jay -

Chris, I would like to have a tech out to investigate this. Please let me know a convenient time.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem with the local HD channels on both my HDTV's.  I also live in Central NJ.  I have tried the re-scanning,  the useless live chat, and called customer service.  The only channel that I get is 7.1 ABC, all the other local channels say "No Signal".  The CS rep told me to disconnect the coax cable and unplug the TV and wait five minutes then reassemble.  This did nothing.  I have Limited Basic Service and Expanded Service.  Could someone please assist me?  Thank you

Regular Contributor
mrgooch

When my local HD disappeared  channel 7.1 was still there then one day later that also was gone.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Just 'Dete'
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Just 'Dete'
Regular Contributor
mrgooch

My first post here was 11 days ago and haven't heard from anyone yet.

Regular Visitor

Thank you.  I appreciate your fast response.  If someone has to come to my home will they charge me?

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

We need to determine what the issue is first. If it is systemic, you will not be charged.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Apologies Mr. Gooch - someone will be contacting you  today.

Just 'Dete'
Regular Contributor
mrgooch

Thank you. I am retired and await contact.

Visitor
frequeniquity

hmm... Have you tried this website? http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ Just type in your zip and it should give you the QAM channel. Remember to change your provider on the next page to comcast from over the air. It's on the upper left.

The same thing would happen to me here in Houston but I didn't go through the trouble of getting boxes and cables or splitters. The channels will randomly change too so you might have to reference back to it.

Again, this is for just the regular local channels in HD with no receiver.

Hope this helps.

Contributor

This has happened where I live also. I contacted customer service through live chat and they basically told me it was government mandated..... local HD channels gone except 10.1 the CBS affiliate. I have rescanned multiple times to no avail.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

fnmaurer wrote:

This has happened where I live also. I contacted customer service through live chat and they basically told me it was government mandated..... local HD channels gone except 10.1 the CBS affiliate. I have rescanned multiple times to no avail.

I've asked that our Regional office look into this.

Just 'Dete'
Contributor

I received a message on my answering machine that someone would contact me today about this. Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

I live in Carlisle, PA. I recently bought a small Hi-Def TV to use mostly as my computer monitor. I did hook it up with a splitter so I could use the small Comcast box, or straight from the cable. For a while I was able to get the local HD channels direct from the cable. Recently that stopped. I can no longer get the .1 channels, but can still get the rest as someone earlier noted. My understanding is that local HD channels are included with the Basic channel lineup. I also understand that all lineups include the basic channels. I would like to have the HD channels available, but I don't need the whole line of HD channels. I too would like to know why the local HD channels have bee eliminated.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Have the TV rescan for the missing channels.  Comcast frequently moves the QAM channels around.

Contributor

I have been rescanning for over a week now(both my hdtv's) Last night my son who also lost his hd local channels and lives about one quarter mile from me rescanned his tvs and got all the local hd channels back! Any ideas?? Comcast called today from corporate and basically, I was told that when I am using the AB switch to receive the hd local stations, I am actually receiving  the signals through my TV or antenna and that comcast has nothing to do with those signals. She suggested I contact the TV stations to try and find out why I can no longer get them.....I will do that.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I think the corporate person gave you bad information, since the QAM signals are put on the cable by Comcast.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

fnmaurer wrote:

I received a message on my answering machine that someone would contact me today about this. Thank you.

You're welcome!

Just 'Dete'
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

fnmaurer wrote:

I have been rescanning for over a week now(both my hdtv's) Last night my son who also lost his hd local channels and lives about one quarter mile from me rescanned his tvs and got all the local hd channels back! Any ideas?? Comcast called today from corporate and basically, I was told that when I am using the AB switch to receive the hd local stations, I am actually receiving  the signals through my TV or antenna and that comcast has nothing to do with those signals. She suggested I contact the TV stations to try and find out why I can no longer get them.....I will do that.

That is bad information - I will look into this and have someone follow-up with you.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

[ Edited ]

fnmaurer wrote:

We did look into this - we believe that the service may be trapped at the tap. Someone will be out either today to test that theory. Please keep me updated!

Thanks!

Just 'Dete'
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Were we able to take care of this for you.

Just 'Dete'
Contributor

Thank you. I noticed that this afternoon Comcast came and did "something" on the pole outside my house. Right after that, I noticed that I could now get channels on 14./15. and that is where the digital HD channels are. I have checked them out with the evening news broadcasts which of course are in HD. Every thing looks good. I have had premium stations for years and  prior to the digital migration, 14 and 15 were Encore and Starz. Did what I have on the pole to receive those stations cause me not to be able to get the HD channels when they were moved? Once again, THANKS so Much   !!!!

Regular Visitor

Dear Detreon, 

You had someone from the internal office call my house from our initial complaint.  I was impressed with the immediate response, unfortunately I was at my neighbors house at the time.  They left a number with my husband to return the call.  I did within the hour, left a message and have not heard anything back.  She requested sending someone out to check the line at that time.  Our channels look somewhat better or maybe I'm just getting use to an old analog picture. Still feel they are not as clear as there were or should be.  Only channel that receives what was a .1 is channel 7 which is ABC network.  Sure hoping you could help as two of our TV's are HDTV.  The only analog TV we have now has the AB switch provided by Comcast and is working great after the second try at installing it. Thank you and am looking forward to resolving this once and for-all.  

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Let us take another look at this.

Just 'Dete'
Contributor
protoham

Congratulations you have been screwed by Comcast.

I had the exact same thing happen to me.  Now to get the HD channels I had to buy the HD service $9.25 per month per box in my area.  Now with the new box I can't get the non-hd channels. 

I am about to pull the plug and put an antenna back on my roof. 

Contributor
protoham

You got it.  It cost me $9.25 per month per box. 

Contributor
protoham

Now that I have the HD box I can get the NON-HD channels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so mad I am about to rip this stuff out and run over it.

Contributor
protoham

Correction: "I can't (cannot) get the non HD channels!!!!!!

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wait, youre saying if you get an hd box, you can no longer get the 4:3 channels some of which are not hd?

WTH?  Im so sick and tired of this screwing thing comcast is doing to us, do they want customers or not!

And are the boxes as problematic as most, If so...this is unacceptable!

I was told by a corporate cust care call that this blocking hd channels was coming and the prev promise of getting them on limited was well temporary.

NOTE: Im a long time comcast customer who was previously quite happy, Once this change over happen and equip went down the toilet (faulty) things went from quirky to worse. Im now a very unhappy cust and once they have competition in my area Im gone.  Just on principal, even if competitor has issues.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you can split the signal behind the box and have one input go to the box and the other go to the tv, or use an hd antenna to get them free uncompressed over the air.  YOu can always upgrade to an hd box which most people have and have no problems.  It seems if you are a low level comcast customer you really get nothing.

Recognized Contributor

So splitting the signal from box wont screw up the box?  I had so much trouble w/ my hd dvr I returned I wouldnt want to screw things up w/ a splitter.

Would the box be bothered by the splitter?  It would be nice if I one could split it so one can record stuff, at some point tho' arent the sd channels going to gone?  Wont they have digital equivalents So do the digital equiv' even when 4:3 run on hd box?

Thanks for input because I have a decision coming in near future.

Recognized Contributor

A previous poster removed uneeded splitters and apparantly got the sd channels back w/ hd box.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/TV-Service-and-Equipment/HD-Box-but-no-Non-HD-channels/m-p/949581/highl...