Visitor

Lost picture when changing channels

Every now and then when I aim my remote control to change channels, I lose the picture, but the sound stays on. The only way I could get the picture back is by shutting the surge protector. I then lose the guide in which it says "to be announced for an hour. I really dont think its good for the TV for me doing this too much.
Anybody have this problem? Its hard to determine of ots the box itself or the remote.
Contributor

Re: Lost picture when changing channels

Yup, one of three ongoing issues I have (see my Update on Comcast at the top). I even have it recording 2-3 hours of nothing. Definitely an issue here, but Comcast either hasn't been able to diagnose it or is in denial. Can't quite figure out which.
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]
Is this an HD box connected to an HDTV with an HDMI cable? If so, try using the component (red/green/blue) cables instead.

Can you power it off with the normal Power button, then back on instead of pulling the plug?

Message Edited by andyross on 09-23-2008 11:46 AM
Visitor

Thanks for the response. However, the HD box is connected to an HDTV with an HDMI cable. And it does not regain the picture by attempting to power back on with the remote. I have no choice but to turn off the power surge and back on. If I went with component wires or something else, it would defeat the purpose of the quality of the movie.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You probably won't notice much, if any, difference in picture quality if you use component.
Visitor

If I see a trend in this happening, I will switch to Component.
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Instead of cutting power to your full AV system, just pull the plug for the box. You can do it at the outlet, or at the back of the box (it's removable.)
Visitor

Good advice. Its probably not good for the system when I keep turning off the surge power.
Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]
LOL my friends DVR will lose audio but keep video sometimes.  Maybe we can link them together and have a good box?

I know of 2 people who use HDMI with cable (one comcast, one timewarner) and it can be very flaky.  HDMI does some negotiations between the TV and whatever is connected to it, unlike component and others where it is just a one-way output.  By building copy protection ability and other "intelligence" into HDMI it appears that its a bit less reliable.  I too would rather use HDMI for its benefits, hopefully it will get less buggy over time.

One of the friends gets "green screen" all the time that requires a hard reboot of the TV (unplug and plug), rebooting the cable box doesn't help.  She gave up and switched to component.  The other friend, when watching an HD program it will randomly only output low quality via the HDMI (the cable box detects that the attached TV can only do 480 or 720 but 1080 is fine via component).  Hard boot of the box (theirs has a reset keystroke you can do) makes 1080 come out of HDMI again.

Hard to say if the blame lies with the TV or cable box in some cases, since they are both involved in the negotiation.

salmad wrote:
Every now and then when I aim my remote control to change channels, I lose the picture, but the sound stays on. The only way I could get the picture back is by shutting the surge protector. I then lose the guide in which it says "to be announced for an hour. I really dont think its good for the TV for me doing this too much.
Anybody have this problem? Its hard to determine of ots the box itself or the remote.

Message Edited by Drinkingbird on 09-25-2008 09:21 PM

Message Edited by Drinkingbird on 09-25-2008 09:23 PM