Visitor
pkticker

Missing channels with digital adapter box

After I received a letter in the mail stating that I would need either a new set-top box or an adapter box to receive cable on my second TV, I called Comcast to get more info. I wanted to know what the difference was between the two boxes (aside from the price per month). The man I spoke with stated that the only difference was that the adapter box would not get On-Demand or any of the interactive programming guide options like the TV with the set-top box. Since I didn't need all of the extra interactive stuff or the On-Demand on my second TV, I wanted to know if I could receive ALL of the channels I was paying for with the adapter box. I specifically asked the man "if I get the adapter box, can I get all of the channels in my bedroom that I get in my living room, where the set-top box is?" He said yes. I asked him this twice, just to make sure. He said yes again.

Cut to this morning, when I installed the adapter box in my bedroom. I have gone through the installation and activation process. However, while I am receiving more channels on the second TV than I was before, I am still not receiving all of the channels I am paying for. Is there some additional step I need to take to get all of my channels, or did the man I spoke to give me incorrect information?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: Missing channels with digital adapter box

The Digital Adapter Boxes will only receive the Expanded Basic channels; in most areas Expanded Basic is being removed as a tier and replaced with Digital Starter. Channel lineups on this tier vary according to your location. So if you are paying for any tier above Digital Starter you will not receive those channels. To do so would require a full Set Top Box at the cost per month for the box.

Since I am a customer like yourself I have no answers to why the phone people aren't aware of this, in case you were wondering.

Connection Expert
Joe

What the tech should have said

you will receive a little more channels you had with just using your TV tuner.

none will be in HD

Visitor
pkticker

[ Edited ]

Thank you both for that info. I'm sure the guy I talked to had my account info up, and could see what channel package I had. Since he gave me bad information either out of ignorance or apathy, it really makes me wonder about the training given to the support people.

New Visitor
hbh2u

I have the same issue.  I think their literature is misleading.  WIll the additional channels be available as the migration in completed?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

The maximum channels available with a DTA are the Digtial Starter channels, depends on your area as to what those are. For channels above that level of service will require a full set top box. HD channels will require a full HD set top box.

I had Digitial Preferred with a couple of DTAs and got nothing above Digital Starter on the tvs the DTAs were hooked up to.

Visitor

I think this is one of the most despicable developments I have ever heard of.  One day we have channels that we can see on EVERY tv we own, whether it's 2 or 10.  The next day we're told we HAVE TO get adapters to see the same channels we just got automatically....AND....you can only have 3 and then you have to pay to get any others.  So again.....assume someone has 5 tv's, Comcast is now telling you that you can only WATCH 3...?!  What?!  Plus....if you want to see ALL the channels on ALL your tv's, the free boxes can't get them, and the $1.99 boxes can't (same as the free ones only they're now #4 and #5)....no, if you want to get everything on all tv's, like you JUST HAD a couple days ago (before this transition thing), you now actually have to get set-top boxes at a cost of...I'm not even sure....$15.00 EACH PER MONTH....$20!   And this is America?  What happened here?  And why isn't every single customer up in arms protesting this??!!  How did Comcast get to change overnight from giving us what we had for our regular monthly price, to TAKING AWAY channels and then CHARGING us to get them back....?!!!!!!!!!!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Befoe the digital transition, you received the expanded basic channels on any TV without a box.  No one is losing channels, if you add a DTA, you will still get the same channels that you got before.  Nothing has been taken away.

If your rich enough to have 5 TV's then you are rich enough to add 2 more DTA's @ 1.99 each.  If you want your full digital TV package on all your TV's, then you are also rich enough to afford a full box on each TV @ 7.95 a month.  Nothing has changed there, you always needed a full box to get all your digital channels on each TV if you have digital starter, preferred or premiums.

You have a choice of providers, and all providers need a box on each TV, and charge a monthly fee for each box.

Visitor

It has nothing to do with being "rich enough" to have more than one t.v.  I was speaking hypothetically, to cover lots of people, not just myself.  We have, as a matter of fact, only TWO t.v.'s.  Just two, and that's not being "rich" as the biggest is 32" and the other one is a 13"  old, wide one.  Again, I was speaking for lots of people.....you shouldn't be so judgmental.  Furthermore, we did NOT need ANY boxes previously, and if Comcast switched over to something then they should have made all programming available on ALL t.v.'s, for FREE....like it used to be, and not charging for any "boxes" to get what we had gotten previously!

And you are wrong in saying "you will still get the same channels that you got before", since our neighbor has complained so many times, as others have written here, that he can only get all the channels on ONE t.v.-his main one, and all the rest of them, with the "little boxes", only get SOME of the channel package that he is already being CHARGED for every month, and which he USED to be able to see on ALL of his t.v.'s, without paying extra!  We did NOT need "boxes" to see all channels on all t.v.'s previously.  This is just Comcast's way of making extra money, instead of bumping the packages up even higher.

Furthermore, I'm sure that there are people out there who do have 4 or 5 t.v.'s, and perhaps canNOT afford $40/month just to have boxes to see all the channels they are paying for!  You should address the problem, not put down fellow human beings.  My neighbor, for example, 'inherited' 2 of his tv's from his son, who was tragically killed in a car accident.

New Visitor
smith299

I agree one hundred percent Sylram!!! I can understand paying for certain channel packages, but then we have to pay another 15.00 bucks a month per TV to watch those channels. What a rip-off!!!

New Visitor
o_great1

I think the only reason they can do this is the internet access. It's hard to find cable and internet service from the same provider if you don't live in town.