Contributor
ghoff1

Re: Momentary Black Screen / RNG 200N DVR

Well, this is disappointing. If the patch that we have been waiting for doesn't address this issue, when will a patch that fixes this issue be released?
Regular Contributor
dsaul9

fyi .... i have the same occasional black screen with this s/w version.   We should get a reduction on our monthly bill while this problem exists.   Maybe that will speed the fix process. 

Regular Contributor
Agilis

dsaul I would highly suggest contacting Comcast. Speaking from experience, ask to speak to a manager of some sort, as high up as you can go, and ask them for some type of compensation. Explain to them with technical facts what your viewing experience has been like. Comcast took care of my parents, they should be able to do the same for you.
Regular Contributor
Agilis

What issues/incidents does this current patch address?

Regular Contributor
dsaul9

Boys and Girls:   Just spent an hour on the phone with Customer Service Mgmt on this issue.   Doesn't seem like it is a big deal to Comcast at this point - i.e., not enough complaints.  So I am not expecting a fix anytime soon if ever.   Customer Services recommendation is try the RNG150 box - which i didn't know existed.   Otherwise it is go back to older boxes - which is great except maybe no HDMI and certainly no 3D.  They also said to email corp from the comcast.net website - to try and increase the visibility of the issue.

Contributor
ghoff1

I finally gave up and took my box back to Comcast on Saturday.  The line was literally out the door.  Many of the other customers in line were holding a DVR box and complaining about the issues that we have been experiencing.

I was able to trade-in my box for a refurbished SA box.  So far, it works very well with not one back screen.

Regular Contributor
dsaul9

can u use HDMI cables with the box? if so which box did u get?

Contributor
ghoff1

Yes, it is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD and am using it with a HDMI cable.

Regular Problem Solver
manamok

I have two Cisco RNG200N DVR's and one SA 8300HD - I don't have the momentary black screen on the RNG200N's but I do have a momentary static screen on both of the RNG200N's.  The SA 8300HD doesn't have that.

Even with the static screen problem I prefer the RNG200N DVR because it has a much larger hard drive and it is much faster to respond to the remote than the 8300. 

Comcast told me that the momentary black screen and static problem require a firmware fix from Cisco and would probably be rolled out sometime in mid-2012.  The problem is probably related to the HDMI connection between the TV and the box.  If you don't use HDMI cables you probably could avoid most of these problems.

In any event, the screen disruption is only momentary and not on the hard drive so if you replay the affected area it isn't there.

Regular Contributor
Agilis

manamok wrote:

I have two Cisco RNG200N DVR's and one SA 8300HD - I don't have the momentary black screen on the RNG200N's but I do have a momentary static screen on both of the RNG200N's.  The SA 8300HD doesn't have that.

The problem is probably related to the HDMI connection between the TV and the box.  If you don't use HDMI cables you probably could avoid most of these problems.

This makes no sense at all. Are people even reading this thread and what they write before posting? It's not just an HDMI issue, it happens when the TV is connected via component cables.If you're going to complain to Comcast, at least read this forum to get your facts straight before calling them.

Regular Contributor
Agilis

dsaul9 wrote:

can u use HDMI cables with the box? if so which box did u get?

HDMI works with Scientific Atlanta 8300HD but it's outdated hardware and is incredibly slow compared to the RNG200N as well as severely limited when it comes to internal DVR storage space.

Regular Contributor
Agilis

dsaul9 wrote:

Boys and Girls:   Just spent an hour on the phone with Customer Service Mgmt on this issue.   Doesn't seem like it is a big deal to Comcast at this point - i.e., not enough complaints.  So I am not expecting a fix anytime soon if ever.   Customer Services recommendation is try the RNG150 box - which i didn't know existed.   Otherwise it is go back to older boxes - which is great except maybe no HDMI and certainly no 3D.  They also said to email corp from the comcast.net website - to try and increase the visibility of the issue.

As more and more people adopt HDTV, especially with the prices of HDTV sets being lower than ever, more and more people will be handed the RNG200N. After the holidays, when those customers start inundating Comcast's phones with black out issues during customer's favorite soap opera, etc. Comcast will act fast.

I have no faith in the response you received from Customer Service Management - That person was taking guesses. The patch for the momentary screen is in the works because Comcast technicians are are of the issue. Now who you really need need to speak to is a Comcast Supervisors or Comcast board member. Then you will get some answers.

Until then, hold onto your RNG200N, and just keep dealing with the issue.

New Visitor
BobD8487

Keisha and All:

I had an older Cisco RNG200 (silver) but was having intermittent problems with having to power-cycle it often when it would tell me I wasn't authorized to view a channel I was subscribed to.  I also wanted to be ready for the remote DVR programming capabilities which will be rolled out in my area soon.  So far, I have had *two* new black RNG200 boxes with the same problem - the loss of HDMI video during live TV and DVR playback. I swapped HDMI cables and inputs on my Sony Bravia, and even connected another HDMI device to the same inputs where there was no loss of video observed.  The problem is the set top box. 

When I first switched to Digital service from Enhanced Basic Comcast sent a tech because of frequent tiling and video freeze. That tech simply suggested I install an amplifier which improved the situation.  

Comcast sent a tech to the house last week who was very thorough. Unlike the first tech, he very quickly found that I had all sorts of loss at the distribution block and at the set top box.  He tested and replaced connectors from my attic to the pole, replaced an old grounding block, then removed the amp and eliminated the signal loss throughout the entire house.  He cautioned that this would probably not fix the HDMI video loss, however. 

I still get the intermittent video drop-outs.  He said its the RNG200 and that they are known for this problem.  I'm tired of running back and forth to the Comcast office to swap the boxes (each time making sure to watch all of our recorded content) just to have the same problem. 

Comcast needs to get a resolution from Cisco for the problem, push the update out to the boxes and stop wasting everyone's time and energy attempting to isolate and work-around what is a known problem. 

Regular Problem Solver
manamok

[ Edited ]

Agilis wrote:
This makes no sense at all. Are people even reading this thread and what they write before posting? It's not just an HDMI issue, it happens when the TV is connected via component cables.If you're going to complain to Comcast, at least read this forum to get your facts straight before calling them.

Well I did read this thread and found that on 9/24 you authoritatively announced that the problem is "the signal from the RNG200N's HDMI out to the HDMI in on the display device..."  On 9/27 you informed us all that "Switching to component worked for me."  Then on 10/18 and 12/1 we were all disappointed to hear that the problem was still happening with your component cable hookup but "not nearly as often."

All I said in my post was that if you don't use HDMI cables you probably could avoid most of these problems.  I didn't say you could avoid all the problems.

It serves no purpose to attack others in the thread who are trying to be helpful and informative - we're not all getting the same info from Comcast and we're not all experiencing the exact same problem.  We're all in this together.  Lighten up.

New Visitor
BobD8487

Thanks, manamok - could not have stated it better.  Many of us have a technical background and no full well how to troubleshoot and isolate a problem, as well as research answers. I don't own the STB and have no maintenance contract with Cisco so I certainly can not open an SR with their TAC.  I looked to this forum to confirm whether or not others are seeing this same problem. You don't get a straight answer from Comcast over the phone or in their office, and I've encountered more than a few of their field techs that don't have a clue.   

Comcast phone support keeps telling me I have an input signal problem.  Well, it turns out after they decided to do a truck roll that they were right...and thanks to a good field tech with all the proper training and tools I no longer have an input signal problem.  But it did not fix the intermittent black-screen problem and neither the tech or I thought it would because it is obviously the output from the box.  The easiest way to prove this is when the black-screens occur during DVR playback you simply rewind and replay the "bad spot".  On replay its not there, so its the output from the STB to the TV that is dropping the video signal.  I can replicate the behavior simply by pulling the HDMI cable out and reinserting it - the TV behaves exactly the same way on restoration of the signal (displays the Input information and clock) as if I just turned on the TV or switched inputs. 

I can not take advantage of the suggestion to switch to component cables since my component input is already used for other equipment.  I have two HDMI inputs and should be able to use one of them for the STB.  It should not be up to the subscribers who pay dearly for cable service to find work-arounds and alternative solutions to known issues.  Based on this and other forums there is obviously a real problem encountered by many subscribers.  Cisco and Comcast need to address and correct it - period.

Regular Contributor
Agilis

manamok wrote:
It serves no purpose to attack others in the thread who are trying to be helpful and informative - we're not all getting the same info from Comcast and we're not all experiencing the exact same problem.  We're all in this together.  Lighten up.

Point taken. Had a rough night and it was wrong for me to attack you and others. I do apologize an please accept my apology.

Regular Contributor
Agilis

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

Comcast won't take notice until there is an overwhelming demand or response from their subscribers demanding a fix for this issue. What Comcast both sees & hears is that there is an issue regarding a black screen, but it's not alarming or critical. Take this very thread for example:

The amount of unique subscribers complaining about this issue on this forum alone would only take 2 hands if you were to count them. Compare that to the amount of subscribers using RNG200Ns and you can see that we're not even a blip on the radar when it comes to the overall scheme of things. Now take this one step further by taking into account the many subscribers who are using using HDTV *without* HDMI or component configurations. Now this issue isn't even a spec on the radar.

For things to start happening, we need more than 2 pages of unique subscribers complaining about this issue which will be tough - There are a lot of subscribers who don't have the technical background that allows them to troubleshoot the cause of an issue or realize something is actually wrong with their cable box other than it being weather or a random occurrance. The only time subscribers will complain is when there is some sort of outage in their area.

We need those who are experiencing this issue that may or may not be on these forums, to post here. The issue needs more publicity which yes, I understand this is easier said than done and but neverless needs to be done.

The *only* solution I see to this problem is that we start doing the homework for Comcast. As it was conveyed to me by the board member, it's very difficult for Comcast and Cisco to troubleshoot all the issues because when there is an issue, the majority of the subscribers don't know how to explain or describe the issue they are having correctly. This makes debugging (Stepping/walking through a process or a group of processes using scenarios hoping to find the problem in the process or group of processes) much more difficult if the facts are now detailed enough or incorrect.

What I started doing for another issue at the time the Comcast board member contacted me was troubleshoot the issue myself and noting the steps and the results of each step, and attempt different work arounds. For this issue, what I have tested are the following:

Cable box w/ HDMI LIVE HDTV: Positive - Both Audio & Video Drop Out

Cable box w/ Component LIVE HDTV: Positive -Video Drop Out Only

Cable box w/ HDMI DVR HDTV: Positive - Both Audio & Video Drop Out

Cable box w/ Component DVR HDTV: Positive -Video Drop Out Only

Cable box w/ HDMI LIVE SDTV: ?

Cable box w/Component LIVE SDTV: ?

Cable box w/ HDMI DVR SDTV: ?

Cable box w/Component DVR SDTV: ?

Anyone up for testing on a SDTV signal to see if it occurs? I have been unable to since I just haven't had the time and when I'm home from work, like now, I'm falling a sleep in my chair from excessive rock climbing.

Regular Contributor
dsaul9

I think u need to add the fact (as pointed out previously in discussions) that when replaying a program on DVR you can get the random 4 second black screen, however if u rewind after the black screen and replay the problem doesn't occur.

Regular Problem Solver
manamok

[ Edited ]

Agilis wrote:

manamok wrote:

Point taken. Had a rough night and it was wrong for me to attack you and others. I do apologize an please accept my apology.

Apology accepted.

Comcast has informed me that they're treating my problem of a momentary static screen as a separate issue from the momentary black screen reported in this thread.  So, I guess one thing I would like to know is if anyone else is getting the static screen version of this problem.

Regular Contributor
Agilis

[ Edited ]

Good point dsaul9. I forgot to mention that and updated my post to acount for what you said.

manamok: Please outline/explain to me the difference between the static screen and the black screen. Thanks!

Regular Problem Solver
manamok

Agilis wrote:

manamok: Please outline/explain to me the difference between the static screen and the black screen. Thanks!

Both of my Cisco RNG200N DVR's will display a momentary static or snowy screen rather than a black screen.  Both connections are HDMI and the static screen is not retained on the hard drive so I can rewind and watch the program normally as dsaul9 mentioned.  The problem can occur several times in an hour or only once or twice an evening.

Regular Contributor
Agilis

Re: Momentary Black/White/Snowy Screen / RNG 200N DVR

[ Edited ]

manamok wrote:
Both of my Cisco RNG200N DVR's will display a momentary static or snowy screen rather than a black screen.  Both connections are HDMI and the static screen is not retained on the hard drive so I can rewind and watch the program normally as dsaul9 mentioned.  The problem can occur several times in an hour or only once or twice an evening.

Repeating what you said, if it does not appear on DVR playback, then it's definitely an issue with the signal coming from the box, and *not* into the box. It sounds identical to what this thread is about, except we are seeing a black screen.

If I were to guess, you have the RNG200Ns plugged directly into the back of the TV sets using HDMI, oppose to being plugged into an AVR (Audio/Video Receiver). By default & design, the static screen/snowy screen is the result of the TV receiving a weak or non signal. FYI, I have my RNG200N connected to a receiver which is connected to an HDTV. When the signal loss occurs, the receiver displays the black screen untl the signal comes back. To confirm, if I turn off the receiver with the TV still powered, the TV displays a message 'Searching for Signals'

Now some HDTVs have the option to turn off or display a blue screen in the event a channel/source becomes weak. I would check to see if your TV has this option.

To recap, your issue is identical to the issue this thread is about but the difference is, your TV is displaying snow for the duration of the 'signal loss' instead of a black screen.

Your information is helpful/useful because it has been assumed that everyone with this issue sees a black screen, but in actuality, it depends on how your devices are connected which decides if you see a black, white, or snowy screen.

The subject of this topic should be renamed to:
Momentary Black/White/Snowy Screen / RNG 200N DVR

Regular Problem Solver
manamok

Agilis wrote:
If I were to guess, you have the RNG200Ns plugged directly into the back of the TV sets using HDMI, oppose to being plugged into an AVR (Audio/Video Receiver). By default & design, the static screen/snowy screen is the result of the TV receiving a weak or non signal. FYI, I have my RNG200N connected to a receiver which is connected to an HDTV. When the signal loss occurs, the receiver displays the black screen untl the signal comes back. To confirm, if I turn off the receiver with the TV still powered, the TV displays a message 'Searching for Signals'

Unfortunately you guessed wrong - in part.  One RNG200N is connected directly to an older SONY 50" plasma with an HDMI cable.  The other RNG200N is connected with an HDMI cable to a SONY A/V Receiver and then by HDMI to a relatively new 55" Panasonic plasma.

My third DVR is an SA 8300HD connected by HDMI to a 46" Panasonic plasma.  The 8300 does not have this problem.

Regular Contributor
dsaul9

update ..... I was given an update on this issue when I contacted Comcast with the following form: http://blog.comcast.com/contact.html.  

The info i received was that this is a known problem in the "Baltimore County area" and a scheduled fix (emphasize scheduled) is due January 24 (2012).  

First, while I certainly am not knowledgeable of the particular software developed - the indication was that when Comcast switched from the Motorola box (?) to the Rng200n, the problem appeared.  

Second, I can only guess then that certain boxes are in play in certain country regions at certain times. Third, I was advised to keep the box rather than trade in for a SA or other older box.  

But the "Baltimore County" thing seems somewhat questionable - I live in Harford County by the way.  

Does this jive with anything anybody else has heard?       

Regular Contributor
Agilis

manamok wrote:
Unfortunately you guessed wrong - in part.  One RNG200N is connected directly to an older SONY 50" plasma with an HDMI cable.  The other RNG200N is connected with an HDMI cable to a SONY A/V Receiver and then by HDMI to a relatively new 55" Panasonic plasma.

My third DVR is an SA 8300HD connected by HDMI to a 46" Panasonic plasma.  The 8300 does not have this problem.

Dang! Was hoping I nailed it. Humor me for a little bit though please...

The RNG200N connected directly to the 50" Plasma sounds like the issue I described. The SONY Receiver you are using, how old, and is it an HDMI Audo/Video Receiver or simply a HDMI Video Pass-through? 2 key differences. 1 type, processes the Audio and Video from the HDMI, the other does no processing what so ever.

The SA 8300HD would not have this issue because the 8300HD uses different hardware and the software was originally developed on the Scientific Atlanta platform/form factor.

This issue affects only the RNG200N because it's hardware is so much different than the 8300HD.

Regular Contributor
Agilis

[ Edited ]

I can confirm that it's not just the Baltimore County and you were right to question that information given to you by Comcast. I live in Somerdale, New Jersey, which is Comcast of Garden State and have this issue.

Yes, certain boxes are in use in different regions. Some regions use Cisco (SA) boxes, others use Motorola.

Yes, hold onto the RNG200N because with the new additions to the guide we will eventually be getting, it will be too much for the 8300HD to handle.

Regular Problem Solver
manamok

Agilis wrote:

Dang! Was hoping I nailed it. Humor me for a little bit though please...

The RNG200N connected directly to the 50" Plasma sounds like the issue I described. The SONY Receiver you are using, how old, and is it an HDMI Audo/Video Receiver or simply a HDMI Video Pass-through? 2 key differences. 1 type, processes the Audio and Video from the HDMI, the other does no processing what so ever.

The SONY receiver is an older model which just passes the HDMI signal through to the HDTV.  I have to use audio cables from the DVR, Blu-ray player and Roku player to have the receiver process the audio signals.  I have the speakers turned off on the HDTV.

There is a potentially HDMI-related issue on another thread of this forum regarding a green screen on Motorola equipment  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/HDMI-Green-Screen/td-p/719485

Contributor
ahauman

I too have the "Momentary Black Screen" issue with my new Cicso RNG200N DVR.  Very annoying.  Going through a SONY HD Receiver using HDMI.  Been thinking about exchanging it back for the ole' Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD I used to have, but capacity and speed is better and I'm hoping for the aledged fix in January mentioned...

I join the crusade for heighted Comcast awareness of this issue.

Regular Problem Solver
manamok

ahauman wrote:

I join the crusade for heighted Comcast awareness of this issue.

Welcome aboard - the more the merrier!

Regular Contributor
Agilis

manamok wrote:

The SONY receiver is an older model which just passes the HDMI signal through to the HDTV.  I have to use audio cables from the DVR, Blu-ray player and Roku player to have the receiver process the audio signals.  I have the speakers turned off on the HDTV.

There is a potentially HDMI-related issue on another thread of this forum regarding a green screen on Motorola equipment  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/HDMI-Green-Screen/td-p/719485

I'd give myself 10-1 odds that I'm right about the issue you are experiencing. You are simply having signal loss over HDMI like everyone else on this thread is having, and each device you're connected to it, is displaying a screen of static/noise/snow wjhen the signal is lost for the brief moment. 

New Visitor
where_is_fios

Agilis....Somerdale?  That explains it then....i have been to both Cherry Hill office and Voorhees offices and they pretty much laughed at me!  I live in Laurel Springs so I completely understand what your saying.   I live right next to the verizon building off the White Horse Pike and they wont put fios down my street?  Fios internet is horrible but there cable tv is soooo much better.  Comcast needs to wake up and stop robbing us!!!!!

Regular Problem Solver
manamok

Agilis wrote:

I'd give myself 10-1 odds that I'm right about the issue you are experiencing. You are simply having signal loss over HDMI like everyone else on this thread is having, and each device you're connected to it, is displaying a screen of static/noise/snow wjhen the signal is lost for the brief moment. 

I'm sure you're right about my signal loss being due to the HDMI connections.  My equipment just happens to display it as snow rather than black.  Still wondering why using a component connection doesn't completely solve the problem.

Regular Contributor
Agilis

I'd guess... (Yes, I do this a lot but it's often educated and my track record seems to be pretty good :smileysilly:)

when something occurs (I don't know what that something is.. perhaps an error or time out), some sort of a signal reset or resync takes place which affects the chip that controls/handles the output of the video of both the HDMI and Component video signals.

One thing I've noticed with the RNG200N is you can have HDMI, Component, RCA, and Coax out, all connected at once, and each output will be outputting a signal at the same time.

Now there are some things that I have not been able to test and looking for some assistance...

Do the black outs occur if the RNG200N is connected to a TV via coax? What about RCA? These are 2 types of connections I cannot test on my own. I'm curious if the time outs occur with these 2 types of connecions along with both the HDMI and Component.

If I can confirm these, I might be able to take this info directly to Comcast & Cisco.

Regular Contributor
GCHSR

[ Edited ]

If you use the component (RCA) outputs on the RNG 200N you'll get  flashes across your display instead of the black screen when using the HDMI. 

Regular Contributor
Agilis

GCHSR wrote:

If you use the component (RCA) outputs on the RNG 200N you'll get  flashes across your display instead of the black screen when using the HDMI. 

Thanks for that info. So it seems this signal issue is global when it comes to it's core functionality. Originally thought it just affected HDMI and Component, but now it's much wider.  The box for some reason cannot output the signal consistently.

Now, can anyone see if this black out occurs on NON-HD channels?

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

All,

This issue has been identified and a current fix is being implemented.

Correcting the issue requires momentarily changing the channel during a live show or stopping DVR program, exiting the DVR entirely, and then returning to the show a moment later. There is a firmware fix slated to address this scheduled for mid-2012.

You may switch to component cables or swap to an 8300 HD cable box to avoid this issue altogether.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Regular Contributor
dsaul9

First, thanks for your interest.

A couple of points from my view.

1. HDMI is required for 3D and after paying a high price for HDMI quality, I don't think everyone will be happy to go out and buy component cables for a lower quality picture.

2. I am not sure the problem doesn't also exist for component cables.   I haven't proven this, but others on this board seem to validate.

3. When I inquired to "Corporate" Comcast, I was called within 15 minutes by someone who said they were aware of the problem.   They said that a fix was due mid January and not to switch to a 8300 box.

4. Unfortuneately, those people who want the best quality (RNG200n and HDMI) are those impacted by this problem.

Who can we contact to make sure they understand that this problem is unacceptible and should be a high priority to fix?

thx.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

[ Edited ]

The issue has been identified and is an high priority with Comcast. We are correcting the firmware with our  Cisco boxes and the fix is scheduled to be deployed to customers as a part of the next guide release in mid-2012.  Now that may be subject it change to be earlier but for now it's scheduled for mid-2012.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Regular Contributor
dsaul9

Thanks again for your reply.

Is there someone we can petition to get the fix earlier than "the next guide release".

It really is a pain and I believe we should get the Rng200n service for free until we get the fix.

signed,

"did Ray Rice score that touchdown? My screen went black."

Regular Contributor
Agilis

ComcastKeisha wrote:

All,

This issue has been identified and a current fix is being implemented.

Correcting the issue requires momentarily changing the channel during a live show or stopping DVR program, exiting the DVR entirely, and then returning to the show a moment later. There is a firmware fix slated to address this scheduled for mid-2012.

You may switch to component cables or swap to an 8300 HD cable box to avoid this issue altogether.

If this issue has been identified, then why doesn't Comcast know that using Component cables does not fix the issue? The only thing that fixes it is to move to the old and outdated Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. The steps Comcast is listing to correct the issue is absolutely rediculous. There is no correcting the issue, just wait for a few seconds for the signal to resync. Changing the channel, or stopping the DVR is worse than just waiting.
Regular Contributor
Agilis

[ Edited ]

dsaul9 wrote:

First, thanks for your interest.

A couple of points from my view.

1. HDMI is required for 3D and after paying a high price for HDMI quality, I don't think everyone will be happy to go out and buy component cables for a lower quality picture.

Just thought I'd let you know that component is not a lower quality picture than HDMI when it comes to HDTV. It is simply less convenient because you need to connect a separate audio cable. The only thing HDMI can do is 1080P which is not supported by Component or cable/HDTV. Also, HDMI allows different devices to 'network' together so they can power on together, or be controlled by different devices. Another thing is HDMI supports HDCP which Component cannot, which could be a problem if your display device requires HDCP.

Cheers!

Regular Contributor
spottedlady

Please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't this issue start with the update to the new guide this past May (for Naples, FL)?  I know that is when all my NEW problems began.  I reboot my DVR at least once a week, which helps a little with the "blink" of the signal.  When I do call Comcast, they always want to send out a tech.  I keep telling them "it is a known problem" but they don't seem to KNOW it is a known problem.  I don't need a tech and I don't want to swap out the DVR for the 8th time.  When I had a supervisor and a lineman at my house several months ago I was told to wait for the "fix" scheduled for early 2012.  I actually have the RGN 200 DVR because the 200N they brought the last time to swap didn't work.  The "N" doesn't seem to make a difference because the problems are the same.  We have all stuck with (or maybe I should say "are stuck with") Comcast through all these updates and fixes and still the problems are here.  How about a credit ($$) for customer loyalty?

Contributor
ahauman

ComcastKeisha,

Is there a problem ticket number (or however Comcast refers to previously documented issues) that we as Comcast customers can refer to when speaking to other Comcast representatives about this Momentary Black Screen / Cicso RNG200N problem?

A.

New Visitor
Tsr2004

Motorola DCH3416 Exact same issue (momentary black screen on DVR recored playback).

It started about 3-4 months ago.

Praying for Verizion Fios to come to our town.

Visitor
egotten

I have been following this forum for at least one month. I live in South Florida (West Palm Beach). I have the RNG200N box with a Samsung 3d Plasma TV. The black screen issue happens either with HDMI or component cables (it doesn't matter as other have posted here). I appreciate that someone from Comcast is monitoring these forums but honestly the solutions that you are giving not only are wrong but have been tested multiple times by multiple users (including me) with the same results (they don't work). We all know by now that the only solution to this problem is a firmware upgrade which as you are saying won't be deployed until mid 2012 (If high priority meas waiting 6 months I don't even want to know how long would it be for a standard priority problem). That's simple not acceptable. I subscribe to your high definition package and I am paying for a service that I am not getting. I have the box connected to my receiver with a digital audio cable so at least I don't loose audio when the image goes black. I had the SA8300 box before but requested the new RNG200N box because I got a new 3D Plasma TV and I wanted to enjoy 3D programming (For that reason going back to the old box is not an option). I am able to see on demand 3D content but when the black screen interruption occurs the TV momentarily sets back to standard viewing and I have to put it back in 3D mode to continue watching the program. This is very annoying and as others have requested if Comcast does not fix this promptly then we should all get some form of credit on our monthly bills. If this box was not ready for prime time then it should have not been released to the public until all the problems have been resolved. We are acting as beta-testers for Comcast but still we are paying full price for a service that is suboptimal. Don't get me wrong. I am very happy with your other services (internet and phone) but the issue with this box is not acceptable.

Contributor
jstillw

Keisha,

Same problem with my new service.  Installer was at my home from 10:30am-7pm yesterday.  My RNG200N has a blank screen hiccup about every 5 minutes.  Very difficult to understand why a firmware push is set for mid-2012.  This should be NOW and all new boxes coming from Cisco should be corrected.  I now have spent an hour on the phone with a tech rep with no help and he continues to tell me they know nothing of this problem.

Can you tell me why not all of the boxes are having this issue?  Many people must be happy with the hardware they received.  If they were having this problem there is no way they can ignore it.

Please review this with the highest level you can and post an updated report.  We need a fix now.

I am going to call my sales rep and ask for two HD-DVRs to be installed until this is fixed.  Can anyone on here comment on the quality of the seperate HD-DVRs and which model I should request?

Contributor
jstillw

Just called customer service again.  Unreal how condescending the rep was.  First really bad experience.  Tech scheduled to come out tomorrow as the rep refused to even acknowledge this forum or other users having the same problem.  8.5 hours the other day to get the service running.  Wonder how much more time they will waste tomorrow.  Thinking the 30 day money back guarantee may become an option.

Regular Contributor
dsaul9

You might want to make sure they have an SA8300 box with them when they come.    That box has few problems - but not sure u can use HDMI cables.

Regular Problem Solver
manamok

dsaul9 wrote:

You might want to make sure they have an SA8300 box with them when they come.    That box has few problems - but not sure u can use HDMI cables.

You can use an HDMI cable with the SA8300HD box.  I have one and use the HDMI cable.

Contributor
jstillw

Tech came back out today.  He brought is own LCD TV and we hooked it up.  No issues at all.  That left us with the HDMI cable or the Panosonic Viera Plasma from 2003 we use.  Grabbed another HDMI cable made by Monster and the problem was still there on my TV.  I started researching about the HDMI technology and came across HDCP compliant issues with older TV's.  Looks like this is a digital content protection system to stop piracy.  Trying now to see if my TV is compliant.  Here's a link about HDCP Info on HDCP.

For now we are running a RNG150N with no issues on the older TV and I have the RNG200N in the bedroom going to S-Video with no problems.  I can't pause the main TV, however I can watch recorded shows via the Anyroom service.

Maybe this was just a good reason to treat myself to a new Sharp 60" LCD.