Contributor

Monthly Charge for Additional Cable Box

I have just replaced an old analog TV with a new 40" Samsung LED.  Of course the digital to analog converter box i have from Comcast does not provide very good picture quality.  Does anyone know what the monthly charge is for an extra digital cable box? I am going to try bypassing the digital to analog converter but if the picture quality does not improve I may want to install a cable box and go HDMI to the set.

Thanks,

RL1215

Recognized Contributor

Re: Monthly Charge for Additional Cable Box

rogtally wrote:

I have just replaced an old analog TV with a new 40" Samsung LED.  Of course the digital to analog converter box i have from Comcast does not provide very good picture quality.  Does anyone know what the monthly charge is for an extra digital cable box? I am going to try bypassing the digital to analog converter but if the picture quality does not improve I may want to install a cable box and go HDMI to the set.

Thanks,

RL1215

Congratulations upon acquiring a new high definition television.

You will need to visit your local Comcast office and pick up a High Definition cable box which can decode the HD channels so they display correctly on your very nice new television.  Keep in mind Comcast will upgrade your account to HD service, which will include a monthly HD Technology Fee ($10/month in most markets).

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I already have one cable box on my primary TV and HD Service on my account here in Tallahassee FL. I am currently charged $9.95/month for HD service.  Will there be another $9.95 charge for another box on the additional TV?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Costs and billing are not the same every where with Comcast. More than likely you will get an Additional Outlet Fee (basically the rent of the second box).

If you have access to a local office they would have the correct pricing. But it might be a safe bet to use the $9.95 fee for the second box.

The HD Technolgy Fee would stay the same.

Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I will give them a call and get the bad news.  When you have a monopoly as Comcast has in this community, I guess you can charge what you want and get away with it!

Regular Contributor
demo23019

[ Edited ]

Enjoy your new TV dont expect much more quality from comcast HD they over compress HD channels and look like garbage.

Contributor

I just talked to the local Comcast office.  They said it would be an addtional $9.95/month for an additional HD cable box.  That means it is $9.95 for each HD TV Cable box I have.  So you pay for the digital service which my "promotional rate" is $60/mo. plus $10/month for each HD TV I connect.   Paying all these addtional charges for equipment is wrong!  I don't want to deal with dishes but Comcast's pricing structure is making them more attractive.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

rogtally wrote:

I just talked to the local Comcast office.  They said it would be an addtional $9.95/month for an additional HD cable box.  That means it is $9.95 for each HD TV Cable box I have.  So you pay for the digital service which my "promotional rate" is $60/mo. plus $10/month for each HD TV I connect.   Paying all these addtional charges for equipment is wrong!  I don't want to deal with dishes but Comcast's pricing structure is making them more attractive.

This is no different than any other TV provider, they all charge for a monthly fee for additional boxes unless it's part of a bundle.

Contributor

Seems like Direct TV has been running promos saying  you can have multiple HD sets at the same price.  Oh well, maybe one day when fiber goes to everyones front door the cable companies will get some serious competition. The market will change.

Recognized Contributor

rogtally wrote:

Seems like Direct TV has been running promos saying  you can have multiple HD sets at the same price.  Oh well, maybe one day when fiber goes to everyones front door the cable companies will get some serious competition. The market will change.

Satellite companies' customer satisfaction ratings are not high.  Consider checking out message boards discussing customer complaints with them. You may conclude it's better dealing with the devil you know (Comcast) than the devil you don't (satellite companies).

In particular, I am very leery of the "fine print" exclusions to the promo offers peddled by sat companies.

Corporations' advertising pitches will tell the consumer "what you want to hear", not necessarily give you objective information regarding various fees and charges you may face in using their service.  Buyer beware...

Contributor

Yes, I had Direct TV in the past and I was not satisfied due to signal interruptions everytime a cloud came up or the leaves on trees in the Southern sky got too dense.  I would not want to lock into a contract with them.  I just bit the bullet today and got a HD Box from the Comcast office. 

I have to admit I have been pleased with Comcast's internet service.  I work in a proprietary computer systems support position in a community where many residents only option is DSL. Many or those people, who I work with, wish they had the Comcast Internet option.  The internet speeds vs. cost are better with Comcast vs. DSL in that community.

New Visitor
jerry3307inmd

I just checked the current HDTV boxes offered by Comcast. The first two HD boxesDCH 3200 and DCH 6200 have HDMI connections on the back to enable you to connect to the HDMI connection on your HDTV. The next two don't have HDMI outputs so don't get.

New Visitor
carisnow

So,we have been back n forth w/Comcast on billing. Each different person we speak with gives us a different answer...The issue is this:  additional HD box - charge is $9.95/month, but they are also charging $10 tech fee.  We think we should NOT be charged the $10 tech fee.  Once in a while they send out a pricing sheet, which explains in detail what the 9.95 and 10 is for.  The $9.95 is for the extra HD box,remote, connection and service.  So, why are they charging a $10 tech fee?  The way we read these 2 items, we should only be charged $9.95 and that they are double charging/extra charging for the same thing.  The last person at Comcast agreed, credited only 4 months, then someone reviewed account and starting charging us again both fees.  Can anyone explain? 

Regular Problem Solver

The HD Tech Fee of $9.95 is for HD service if your current digital package is not HD. For example when I had Preferred Double Play I had to pay this fee to get the HD channels. When I upgrades to HD Preferred Plus XF I did not have to pay this fee since this package already included HD. When you pay for HD you get one HD cable box as part of the package.

When you want more than one cable box and you have a choice:

Additional Outlet Svc Digital Adapter    $1.99 each per month
Additional Outlet Svc Digital Converter $9.95 each per month

The first gives a limited set of channels (about 80). The default box available is not HD. There is an HD version available in some markets. Note this box is limited in that there is no cable guide. Also OnDemand and PayPerView are not accessable.

The second should give the same set of channels as your primary cable box you got with your package. It will be HD only if you are paying for the HD service already.

New Visitor
carisnow

Thank you, if Comcast would have stated your first sentence, then we would have understood months ago.  That answers that.  

However, I still feel cheated, I would assume that by hooking up an HD box to the HD TV, then HD channels would appear.  I didn't think that then you would need to pay an extra amount for HD Tech Fee (in my case $10).  So, I am paying $9.95 for the HD box and $10 for HD Tech Fee.

But, what you said makes sense.  The other TV's are not HD, and so have regular boxes, and we have regular digital service. Maybe it would be cheaper if I just got HD digital service, hence the one free HD box you mentioned, to avoid the $9.95 box fee.