Contributor
Accepted Solution

My cable connection goes directly into the TV. No cable box. Am I OK or will I need a converter?

I have an old cable ready TV.  It is about 12 years old.  My cable connection goes directly into the TV.  I don't have a box from Comcast.  I just have the basic cable and no premium channels.  Am I OK or will I need a converter?  I have not seen this answered anywhere.

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: My cable connection goes directly into the TV. No cable box. Am I OK or will I need a converte

No. The broadcast digital conversion should have no effect on you. At worst, some channels may default to letterboxing as Comcast downconverts them to SD for analog tuners. In a few more years, they will eventually drop even that and you will be required to have a cable box or get a TV with a digital tuner. Most areas broadcast local and public access in clear-QAM (no encryption.) The TV converter boxes ONLY work with broadcast signals (called ATSC), and not cable signals (QAM). Unless you plan on getting a TV soon, you could still get a converter box so you have a backup if the cable goes out.

If by basic, you mean only broadcast and public access, you should be fine for a few years. If you mean standard/expanded cable (History, MTV, etc...) then those analog may disappear within a year or so to make room for more HD.

Contributor

Re: My cable connection goes directly into the TV. No cable box. Am I OK or will I need a converte

So, the bottom line seems to be that any TV connected to cable via direct cable connection will essentially receive only a handful of channels once the conversion is complete in February. We are already starting to see channels on extended cable disappear, i.e. AMC and Cartoon Network. If you want to continue to receive all the channels you receive now, you WILL need a cable box. Am I interpreting this correctly? Because it seems that Comcast just won't give a straight answer to this. They continue to tell everyone they are ok with the direct connection, but this just isn't so evident by the slow loss of channels. Additionally, the converter advertised for analog tv won't help this situation. Is that correct? If I buy one of those converters with the government coupon I still won't be able to receive the channels that are now disappearing from extended cable. Can anyone confirm?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

k9scout wrote:

...Additionally, the converter advertised for analog tv won't help this situation. Is that correct? If I buy one of those converters with the government coupon I still won't be able to receive the channels that are now disappearing from extended cable. Can anyone confirm?

That is correct.  The government subsidized converters are for over-the-air only.

Email Expert

k9scout wrote:

So, the bottom line seems to be that any TV connected to cable via direct cable connection will essentially receive only a handful of channels once the conversion is complete in February.

Comcast's migration is not likely to be complete in February. They're probably going to be moving more channels from analog to digital next year, but their conversion schedule is totally unrelated to the Feb 19 deadline for OTA TV. 

New Visitor

If one was to listen the the NEW Comcast ads, they are NOW saying that if you are connected through a BOX, then you will not have any issues.

We that have ONLY basic cable with NO "BOX", where do we get a box so we will NOT have issues?

Email Expert

You need to upgrade to digital service, the box is included.
Contributor

You don't need a box for basic cable. There's confusion because of the OTA transision. Comcast is counting on this to **bleep** their customers. If you have standard cable channels, they will slowly be migrated to digital, at which time you will be required to get a box (which is a pile of **bleep**, because all new TVs are able to tune digital signals, and it's comcast's choice to encrypt them so they can get an extra fee out of their customers) to view digital channels over comcast. They will be required to keep the basic channels unencrypted (NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, etc) but other than that, they're pretty much shafting us.
Visitor

FireyIce01 said that they will be required to keep the basic channels unencrypted (NBC, CBS, etc). That isn't true in Salem Oregon. In Salem we are being forced to get a digital adapter in order to view channels 32-71. I called the Comcast help line today and they confirmed that this digital adapter will stop me from receiving the FREE HD transmission from NBC, CBS, etc (8-1, 6-1). I have two new HD TVs in my home. One has the silver digital box the second one doesn't have any box. The cable goes directly into the TV so I have been getting free HD for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and The CW. This will end when I attach their adapter.

They told me today that I was the first one to call about this issue. Their cure was to get a splitter and an AB switch. I hope others will call and complain. Salem was chosen to be first for this digital adapter for channels 31-71. Comcast intends to bring this feature to a city near you soon.

To add further insult I will need to pay for this digital adapter for a TV that already has a digital tuner. They give two free adapters per home. I need three so I'll be paying an extra $1.99 each month and loosing my free HD for ABC, NBC, etc.

Thanks Comcast 

Contributor

up_set wrote:

FireyIce01 said that they will be required to keep the basic channels unencrypted (NBC, CBS, etc). That isn't true in Salem Oregon. In Salem we are being forced to get a digital adapter in order to view channels 32-71. I called the Comcast help line today and they confirmed that this digital adapter will stop me from receiving the FREE HD transmission from NBC, CBS, etc (8-1, 6-1). I have two new HD TVs in my home. One has the silver digital box the second one doesn't have any box. The cable goes directly into the TV so I have been getting free HD for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and The CW. This will end when I attach their adapter.

They told me today that I was the first one to call about this issue. Their cure was to get a splitter and an AB switch. I hope others will call and complain. Salem was chosen to be first for this digital adapter for channels 31-71. Comcast intends to bring this feature to a city near you soon.

To add further insult I will need to pay for this digital adapter for a TV that already has a digital tuner. They give two free adapters per home. I need three so I'll be paying an extra $1.99 each month and loosing my free HD for ABC, NBC, etc.

Thanks Comcast 

Yes, the FCC is requiring all cable companies to carry these channels unencrypted, *UNTIL* their lineup is 100% digital, or 2012, whichever comes first. If your area is one of the few that have sped that transisition up, then they've managed to **bleep** you a bit sooner than everyone else. I would send a complaint to the FCC. Enough complaints and something might get done. But don't hold your breath.

Contributor

I also have a 12 YO television (channels 1 to 125) and added "Sports package" tonight.

The on-line Comcast person told me I don't need a box, even though the sports channels are 401 to 425.

How do I see these channels?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

HaroldB wrote:

How do I see these channels?

You do need a cable box.

Contributor

This means Comcast's Cust. Serv. people are liars/stupid or both.   I've waited 30min. to have Live Chat and they're now ignoring me!!!

Comcast is now on my S#*# list!

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

Re: My cable connection goes directly into the TV. No cable box. Am I OK or will I need a converter

Harold,

I know you're angry because the Comcast agent didn't give you correct information.  I can understand that. 

But your old TV only goes up to channel 125, why did you think that you would be able to see channels in the 400 range without a box - regardless of what the agent said?  A healthy dose of skepticism is always required when dealing with agents over the phone - Comcast's or anyone else's.

Contributor

Re: My cable connection goes directly into the TV. No cable box. Am I OK or will I need a converter

Slouke,

A: When I first attempted to order the Sports Package on line (At 9:00pm last night), I didn't know how many channels my TV was capable of tuning.   Like the average person, I assumed Comcast just "did some magic" and it would work.

B: TWO different Comcast CS agents told me it would work on TWO separate Live Chat's.   This is after I'd asked them if I needed a "Box" and told them my cable went right into the TV.

C:  Between 9 and midnite I'd educated myself, on-line, about TV's and cable.

D: Do you always assume everyone else is an **bleep** and speak condesendingly? 

New Visitor

I just read in the Seattle Times newspaper that Comcast customers will have to get a cable box even if you  have the new tv's with the digital tuner.  I hope this is not true.  I just purchased several tv's with the digital tuners so that Im not enslaved with using the box to change my channels.  I did not buy these tv's to leave it on channel 3.   So its time to make objections and seek alternatives to service if they make you get a box.  That's right, we pay for the service and we are forced to get their boxes.  Any channel over #29 woll require a cable box.  That is what the article says.  Hope they think this over.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You should still be able to receive the local stations using digital tuners, including HD.  They may even provide some of the non-local channels unencrypted.  A good heads-up may be to see what they're doing in Oregon, where Comcast has already implemented this plan.  Try here.
Contributor

This whole situation is unacceptable. I have a very complex distributed system in my house and requiring me to put converters on each TV is beyond unacceptable - especially on the systems that have built in hd tuners. It's certainly going to spell the end to my older series 2 Tivo and the analog tuners in my media center pc's. I finally got my system down to 1 remote in each zone of my house and now I have to not only loose the hybrid hidef and standard def tuning but go back to multiple remotes. Never mind all the extra complexity this adds it is going to add more cost and in this economy nobody wants more expenses. This whole situation needs to be rethought out. I really don't want to put a dish on my home but DirectTV is starting to sound better all the time and we will drop cable if they continue down this path and I'm sure I'm not alone. The added insult is for over a year now they have been advertising that their customers will not be affected by the switch to digital. Why they would think this would in any way be accepted by their customers is beyond me. I guess they think we'll just take it. How customer friendly is that.

Bronze Problem Solver

Leightym wrote:

This whole situation is unacceptable. I have a very complex distributed system in my house and requiring me to put converters on each TV is beyond unacceptable - especially on the systems that have built in hd tuners. It's certainly going to spell the end to my older series 2 Tivo and the analog tuners in my media center pc's. I finally got my system down to 1 remote in each zone of my house and now I have to not only loose the hybrid hidef and standard def tuning but go back to multiple remotes. Never mind all the extra complexity this adds it is going to add more cost and in this economy nobody wants more expenses. This whole situation needs to be rethought out. I really don't want to put a dish on my home but DirectTV is starting to sound better all the time and we will drop cable if they continue down this path and I'm sure I'm not alone. The added insult is for over a year now they have been advertising that their customers will not be affected by the switch to digital. Why they would think this would in any way be accepted by their customers is beyond me. I guess they think we'll just take it. How customer friendly is that.

If you go DirecTV you'll need a box on each TV. So what's the advantage?
Contributor

Not much really. More of a "vote with my wallet" response in that I will be telling them that if I have to make this change then I'll do it with their competition. They are choosing to do this because they think they can and that most people will just accept it.
Contributor

EXACTLY!

At least the Dish folks are upfront with telling you about each TV needing a box, while Comcast is hoping no one will notice and even outright LIEING like they did to me.

New Visitor

I'm in the same boat and it really **bleep**me off.  I've avoided those **bleep** set-top boxes for years because I hate the look of them and, when at friends places, it seems to me that the channel changing is ridiculously slow!  I hate channel surfing with the **bleep** things.

Now it seems I'm going to have to not only scrap my analog tuners in the PC but that there's no replacement tuner option short of the $350 ATI tuner and a locked-down motherboard from Dell or HP!

If they are going to mandate standards, they should at least maintain levels of service.  For me, this forced change moves me back in time and technology.

Nice work Comcast and the cable industry in general! 

BTW: I have to say I wasn't nearly as peeved about this until I noticed the subtle changes in their commercials where they now slipped in the need for the set-top box.  I new this before but now that I see the apparent devious nature of their advertising, I'm disgusted.

New Visitor

This isn't a solution.  It's an explanation of how we are being forced to comply.
Email Expert

Moved to 100% Pure Broadband forum, since this is not at all related to cable TV.

Recognized Contributor
titusmckieus

I'm rather confused about this, I have 2 cable ready TV's without receivers ,yet Comcast informed me that in order to still receive channels on the 2 TV's without the receivers, that I would need their Digital Transport Adapter. Which they sent me free charge and are sitting right in front of me as I speak.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

If by "cable ready" you mean they have digital (ATSC) tuners, then you can still get local channels (including HD) after Comcast converts to digital (but you should also be able to still get those in analog).  In order to get the non-local channels formerly available in analog you will need to connect the DTA and use its remote.
Recognized Contributor
titusmckieus

Ok I see
Email Expert

WarEagle, I'm not sure you're right. Digital cable uses QAM, not ATSC. ATSC is only used for over-the-area. However, most digital TVs do both.

"Cable-ready" doesn't usually have anything to do with digital, it just means that the TV can tune analog cable TV channels 2-99. If Comcast converts your town to all-digital, this is no longer useful, and you need a DTA to get those channels.

Recognized Contributor
titusmckieus

Thats what they said to my wife, If i wanted to still recieve 2-99 on those 2 TV's i would need it
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Barmar wrote:

WarEagle, I'm not sure you're right. Digital cable uses QAM, not ATSC. ATSC is only used for over-the-area. However, most digital TVs do both.

"Cable-ready" doesn't usually have anything to do with digital, it just means that the TV can tune analog cable TV channels 2-99. If Comcast converts your town to all-digital, this is no longer useful, and you need a DTA to get those channels.

I meant QAM, of course, but I consider QAM and 8vsb (OTA) as subsets of ATSC.  And I was just guessing as to what was meant by "cable ready".

Contributor
tdinc

Bottom Line

if you want to watch with the cable direct without a box, buy a HDTV with a  QAM/atsc tuner built in. headache avioded.

Save the Net Now
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You'll still have headaches (only getting unencrypted channels) unless you can find one with cablecard capability.
Contributor

So the solution is spending $1,000+ for a new TV, just so we can continue to pay monthly for their services???

I'm switching to satellite ASAP!

Bronze Problem Solver

HaroldB wrote:

So the solution is spending $1,000+ for a new TV, just so we can continue to pay monthly for their services???

I'm switching to satellite ASAP!

And what will that buy you? You still need a box for each TV. Not to mention you'll also need to "continue to pay monthly for their services???".

I'm not discouraging you to switch to Directv but your reason for soing so may not buy you anything. FWIW, I've never had Cable TV. I've been a DirecTV subscriber for 12+ years. I'm very happy with the service, but I still need a box for each TV.

Contributor

Fishman,

If you read the previous posts, you'll see we KNOW that satellite needs boxes and have monthly bills.

The point is they tell you that UP-FRONT and don't lie at every opportunity about what you'll need like Comcast continues to do!

Honesty/Customer Service is the key. 

Contributor

So, I have three different Panasonic plasma TV's  with a built-in ATSC (?) tuners (presumably so I can receive all of the HD channels). Comcast informed me this week that regardless of the type of TV and tuner you have, in order to receive anything beyond channel 29 on cable (in the Seattle area), you will need set-top boxes for each TV.  This means anybody who currently has non-premium service (it's called Basic or Expanded Basic in Seattle) will lose all channels above 29 on Feb. 17th unless they use the converter box supplied by Comcast. The customer service rep I spoke to said there were no exceptions. The boxes are free to existing customers, but we will now be faced with three more remotes, re-wiring VCR's and DVR's and adding even more cables to the back of the TV.

Thanks a whole f**ing lot Comcast!!!  Yea,  you sure do have us covered, don't you? This is what happens when a company has a monopoly in a geographic area. In Seattle, NOBODY has uses straight over-the-air (rabbit ears) because there are too many hills and valleys so reception is non-existent. Our choices are Comcast and satellite. Yee ha!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Wait and see.  Comcast can't encrypt the expanded basic channels that would require the DTA boxes without a waiver from the FCC, because the boxes won't accept cablecards and would have to have decryption built in.  That's undoubtedly why those QAM channels are currently unencrypted in the Seattle area.  No telling which way the new FCC members will lean on that issue.  If they tell Comcast to go ahead and encrypt them, then you will lose access without a converter.
New Visitor

I have a new DVR and HD TV also.  I got the free adapter & it hosed everything up.  Since both my DVR and TV can pull in the digital signals (.) on the remotes, I have found I can live without using the adapter.

the only problem i have is that i have to remember where the Digital signal is now...example no 59 Sci-Fi it's now 103.7 for me.  Also, I lost 2 channels.  TNT and Lifetime...no biggie there.  it was worth it to keep ability to record some of my favorite shows!  :smileysilly:

Bronze Star Contributor

beerman313 wrote:

I have a new DVR and HD TV also.  I got the free adapter & it hosed everything up.  Since both my DVR and TV can pull in the digital signals (.) on the remotes, I have found I can live without using the adapter.

the only problem i have is that i have to remember where the Digital signal is now...example no 59 Sci-Fi it's now 103.7 for me.  Also, I lost 2 channels.  TNT and Lifetime...no biggie there.  it was worth it to keep ability to record some of my favorite shows!  :smileysilly:

FYI, TNT 92.7......Lifetime, 92.4 :smileywink:
Contributor

"Solved" LMAO

:  )

Every large company has there own unique  culture. I find Comcast to be a very interesting study in this regard. It's hard to see from the inside so no offense to Comcast employees here who are just victims of this environment.   

I really do think they think they are helping. Be nice.

:  )

Contributor

Re: My cable connection goes directly into the TV. new DTA boxes

I have 3 TV's 1 has the Set-Top Recveiver and the other 2 just cable (no boxes). I received the new DTA (Digital Transprot Adapter) boxes and installed / activated them.

I use to receive 70 channels on the TV's that did not have a cable box. I now only receive 18 channels on those TV's using the new DTA boxes. I thought the DTA boxes were to turn Analog signals into Digital signals and the channels would be the same.

I have talked with 3 comcast support people by phone and 1 using the internet chat box and 1 by email. They all say I have to rent 2 additional Set-Top Receiver boxes ($6.99 per box, per month)  for the TV's that are now using the new DTA boxes. The DTA boxes can only receive Basic channels,  in my case that was 18 channels.

So I lose 52 channels or pay an additional $13.98 per month, I was hoping I would not have to mention DirecTV but comcast does not seem to want to keep old customers (10 plus years).

Darn and I was just starting to get use to the remote :smileyhappy:

Contributor

Doesn't sound surprising. What type of DTA’s did they send you? The ones we received, while clunky, bring in all the same channels we were getting before.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

The model is DC50x. Glad to hear there are DTA that work. They are sending a tech out on Wed, so... I will keep my fingers crossed. 

UPDATE:

The Comcast Tech fixed the problem(s). It was not the DTA boxes, it was the old splitters (3) that I have/had in my home. Low MHz. The Comcast Tech was very knowledgeable and professional. Thx Comcast.
Message Edited by rduprel on 04-15-2009 11:14 AM
Message Edited by rduprel on 04-15-2009 11:15 AM
Contributor

And then there's this gem from the Digital Transition FAQs:

"Q: What do I need to do to prepare for the end of analog television broadcasting?

A: If you are an existing Comcast customer, you don't need to worry - Comcast has you covered.  If your television is connected to cable, you will not have any impact and your TV will continue to work. "

Looks like this needs to be updated to:

A: If you have a set top box you don't need to do anything. If you plug the TV straight from the cable outlet, then you'll need a DTA.

Email Expert

That FAQ is talking about the OTA digital transition, not the Comcast digital migration.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
I have a cable box on one which I pay for therefore they will only give me 2 DTA's unless I want to pay and additional $1.98 for the third. I have one TV I don't use much so didn't put one on there as I usually just watch network ABC, NBC,etc when in that room.  it has been so snowy the last few days it has been completely unwatchable but I just checked and apparantly they have corrected the problem so won't need a box there as I never go above Channel 34 on that TV. I think patience is a virture with this switchover and I am not known for my patience.
Message Edited by Canyonbabe711 on 05-06-2009 07:26 PM
New Visitor

I agree with voting with your pocket book.  I am going to switch over to Verizon Fios for TV and Internet.
Email Expert

Doesn't FiOS require a box for everything? You can't plug an optical cable directly into your TV.
Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

Yes, all other video service providers require a cable box for each TV. Comcast is finally catching up! 

If someone only watches the broadcast TV stations, them maybe the most cost effective way to go would be to get a Digital Over-The-Air converter - available just about everywhere and NOTHING to do with Comcast. 

I have seen these boxes at Rite-Aid. No monthly charges. But still a box for every TV to receive broadcast signals. And nothing do do with your cable company. It's a mandated change from analog to digital. It's the law. Ask your congressman/woman...it's Public Law 109-171 

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/otiahome/dtv/PL_109_171_TitleIII.pdf

excerpted below (Feb. 18 date changed to June 12). 

The Federal Communications Commission shall take such actions

as are necessary—

(1) to terminate all licenses for full-power television stations

in the analog television service, and to require the cessation

of broadcasting by full-power stations in the analog television

service, by February 18, 2009; and

(2) to require by February 18, 2009, that all broadcasting

by Class A stations, whether in the analog television service

or digital television service, and all broadcasting by full-power

stations in the digital television service, occur only on channels

between channels 2 and 36, inclusive, or 38 and 51, inclusive

(between frequencies 54 and 698 megahertz, inclusive).

Message Edited by tedtv on 05-18-2009 02:44 PM
Visitor

I already have a cable box. I put the DC50X with it and activated it. After more than two hours I still showed "service will begin shortly" or something like that. The website said it might take 45 minutes. I took off the original cable box and ran the DC50X through my VCR. Instant TV, but I now do not receive about 20% of the channels I was getting and no on demand service and the original remote that worked great is useless. What is the correct order when hooking up the original cable box, the new DC50X to a VCR?