Visitor

My screen goes BLACK for a few seconds...why?

My TV screen goes black for a few seconds quite a lot.  Does anyone know why?

:smileysad:

Regular Contributor
truerock2

Re: My screen goes BLACK for a few seconds...why?

[ Edited ]

If you rewind and then re-play does the black-out appear at the same point?  Does the audio cut-out during the black-out?

Is your Comcast box Cisco or Motorola equipment?  What is the model number, manufacture date and software version?

What type of TV do you have?

Do you connect the TV directly to the Comcast box?  Do you use HDMI, component, composite or S-video cables?

Do you have other TVs in your home connected to Comcast?  Are they having the problem?  How are they configured?

New Visitor
Carrieb614

I'm having this problem as well....

My blackout does not appear at the same point if I rewind and replay.

The audio does not cut out.  I have a motorola.  I think the model # is DCT6412 III

I connect the TV directly to the box, using an HDMI I believe (sorry I'm really clueless with all of this and I forgot how it was set up :/)

I have another TV which does not have the HD DVR, just a standard Box with on demand, and it does not have the black outs.  It will occasionally have glitches, with those digitialize squares refilling the screen, but NOTHING like this.

These blackout are coming on every other minute now, making it impossible to watch TV.  I feel like its more common at night, but maybe thats because I watch/record more TV at night?  Not sure.

Thank you SO much in advance.

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

I think you are talking about the hdmi handshake issue when you change channels it goes black. Especially from hd to sd channels and sometimes I will also lose volume on the sd channel.

Unfortunately there hasn't been a fix to this yet.

Regular Contributor
emacee

This may not be a problem but something that happens.

Does it happen when you change channels - especially when you change from an SD channel to an HD channel (or the other way around).  If so, it's not Comcast.  It's your TV adjusting from one display mode to another 480p/i, 720p, 1080p/i).  It will also happen when you go from a DVR recorded program or an ON Demand program to the menus (which is sort of like changing channels).

New Visitor
Carrieb614

No it doesn't happen when I change channels.  It just happens every couple of minutes while watching.  When watching live TV, or DVR, anything.

New Visitor
Carrieb614

It happens whenever, not just when changing channels.  Live TV or DVR.

New Visitor
mark83077

This post has stopped without a resolution.  This NEEDS to be looked at by Comcast.  Seems to be a serious issue.

Same thing happens with my Black Motorola DVR box.  Only happens a few times a night when I am watching, but it is annoying.  ere is what I have done so far to try and fix this but still have the problem:

Switched DVR boxes with the same exact one I have up stairs.

Changed out the HDMI cable with the working one from upstairs

Changed the HDMI port on the TV.

Nothing seems to work.  I am going to try and use Component and see what happens.

New Visitor
Taoslvr

My screen goes black too.  It goes black for 2-3 second 2-3 times per hour when watching a channel, not when viewing a DVD, so it is not a problem with my equipment. This is very annoying. Comcast should own up (admit) to this technical deficiency and correct it. And, by the way your customer service is the worst I've ever encountered in any organization with the exception of, say, the Social Security Administration. And I pay you guys over $200 per month!!!

New Visitor
Aviedo

I am having the same issue and 2 of our tv's are using a TIVO with a cable card so I know it is not due to a comcast digital box problem.

New Visitor
gkmiranda

My screen turns black as well.  It is only when I adjust the volume on SD channels.  It is fine on HD channels.  It is extremely annoying.  Please resolve this problem.

New Visitor
gkmiranda

I believe I found a solution to the problem.  I changed the settings on my DVR box for SD from 480i to stretch.  Now I am not getting the black screen anymore.

New Visitor
jerryaguilar

Did not know how to get to settings on my DVR. So after being on phone for 20 minutes with Comcast I got into settings and I changed 480i to stretch on my own.  My problem is resolved. Thank You very much.  Why doesn't Comcast have these issues resolved and make technicians aware of known problems. 

New Visitor
Deegee40

Comcast please detail out how one

I believe I found a solution to the problem.  I changed the settings on my DVR box for SD from 480i to stretch.  Now I am not getting the black screen anymore.

Thanks in advance

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Official Employee
ComcastTeds