New Visitor
jenja

NO SOUND, ONE CHANNEL ONLY

I've lost the sound on ONE channel on one TV in our house. All the other channels on this TV have sound, and the other TV in our house has sound on ALL channels. HELP!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: NO SOUND, ONE CHANNEL ONLY

[ Edited ]

Many times this happens for users with the new small DTA boxes, press the LANG button on the lower part of the remote control.

dta.JPG

New Visitor
jenja

Thanks, but my remote doesn't have a lang button. Between the volume and channel buttons tere is a help on the top, and a mute and fav on the bottom.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Is it a DTA box? Are you using the Comcast supplied remote control? Below is link to the remotes that Comcast gives to customers, it may help

http://www.comcast.com/corporate/customers/customer_support/remotes.html

New Visitor
jenja

I have a Comcast Universal Remote with the red ok button.  I have two VERY small boxes, not sure if they are DTA boxes, one on each of our two tv's. The one upstairs has working sound on all channels, the one downstairs does not. The remotes are identical.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

Small boxes are DTAs. You should have a different remote other than the Red Button for the DTAs. Do the small boxes get On Demand or any of the Music Choice channels? If not then they are DTAs. If the remote for the DTA is the same as the remote for your regular Set Top Box then you need to get a hold of Comcast and get the correct remote.

How long have you had the small boxes? Did you get them mailed to you or pick them up your self?

Just trying to figure out how you got a STB remote for a DTA....

Also you said 2 televisions correct? If they both have small boxes and you have the Red Button remote then both remotes are for the larger Set Top Box and not a DTA. You will need to get those replaced with the proper remotes.

New Visitor
jenja

Ok. A Comcast Tech. installed both units and gave me the remotes. It's worked great for the last six months using On Demand and the Music Channels.   So....since it's not working anymore, do you think I need to go to Comcast and get new remotes? That's kind of inconvenient since they are the ones that gave me the remotes and hooked it up in the first place.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Since you get OnDemand and the Music Choice channels you have full Set Top Boxes and those are the correct remotes. OnDemand and Music Choice don't come through on the DTAs.

On the television that doesn't have sound on that one channel then you may want to go into the MENU while on the channel that has no sound. Press MENU button twice. Scroll through the menu selections till you find the Audio settings and make sure that SAP or Spanish is not selected. To make sure select ENGLISH again and save the settings.

New Visitor
jenja

Thank you - did that - no luck.
Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Has that channel had sound come back on yet? Sometimes with the DTAs the signals get crossed and the box thinks it is supposed to be in SAP mode or a different language; had that happen to me with one in the middle of a program. Never noticed it on a full STB myself.

If the station is working it was that glitch. If it still has no sound the next option is unplug the box for about a minute and plug it back in. That will force a reset.

If that doesn't work and the station still has no sound next call is to replace the box. I have heard of customers being told that it will cost them money to exchange/replace a box. Not true.

Try unplugging if you need to and see what happens.

Good luck

New Visitor
sprinthall

I have sound on all channels except 51 and 46

New Visitor
sprinthall

Thank you.  It worked like a charm

New Visitor
bestchapters

If you don't have sound on one or more channels when they worked before simply unplug the DTA box & plug it back in. It forces a reset.

Recognized Contributor

Using Comcast DTA: No sound on several channels and one channel with sound had at least a 1 sec delay between the video and audio (but other channels with sound were synched OK).

Powering off the DTA for more than 5 minutes did not help.

However, pressing the LANG button on the remote fixed all the problems!  Thanks to the person who suggested that solution!

--Larry

New Visitor
lasalle65

Answer here is correct!! Press the lang (language) button on the bottom center of the comcast remote. My button must have been mistakingly pressed and set for SPA. Needs to be set on ENG for some channels. This solves the problem!!! Remember this is for the comcast decoder box setups, not full cable boxes

New Visitor

I've noticed when I push the LANG button, there are 2 options, LANG-1 and SPA. When on SPA, I get a 3rd person narrator that describes the action on the show; what is this? I have only noticed it on a few different sit-coms. It is very annoying, and am glad I finally figured out how to turn it off.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

k6056

When on SPA that narration is probably the Descriptive Audio that people with sight issues use to get a idea of what is happening on the tv program. The audio version of closed captioning if you like.

New Visitor

yes, that's what it sounds like -thanks. took me the longest time to figure out how to turn it off!

New Visitor
allison321

Thanks, that worked great (language button on remote!)

New Visitor

Thanks! That did the trick
New Visitor
fungohitter

I have the same remote as you.  I called comcast and they had me just unplug the power cord from the back of the silver box.  I left it unplugged for a minute or so and when it came back on, I had sound.  Hopefully that easy fix will work for you as well.

Official Employee

Year old thread closed