Visitor
Accepted Solution

Need help connecting DVD player, DVR and TV

I just got a comcast DVR and when the tech came and set it up, I didn't realize he didn't set up my DVD.

I tried just hooking the DVD to the DVR and ended up with sound, but no video.  Then, by looking online I realized that they disconnect the video in on the DVR.  Here's what I have, I'd love any advice:

TV is an old Mitsubishi, these are the connections available on the back:

coaxial RF connector

S video in

composite video in

composite video out

RCA audio in

RCA audio out

DVD player is a memorex MVD2042, these are the connections available on the back:

composite video out

RCA audio out

S video out

coaxial digital out

component video out

DVR is a comcast motorola DVR DCT6412/2005, these are the connections available on the back:

Coaxial RF connector

IR repeater port

ethernet port

USB

DVI

RCA audio in

RCA audio out

coaxial SPDIF out

component video out

composite video in (DISCONNECTED)

composite video out

S video out

optical SPDIF out

IEEE1394

The obvious way would be the composite video out from the DVD to the composite video in to the DVR, but that didn't work.

Can I do composite audio out from the DVD in to the DVR (which does work) and S video out from the DVD to the S video in on the TV??  Would that work?  If so, are all S video cables the same? 

If that won't work, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Jennifer

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Need help connecting DVD player, DVR and TV

There is no reason to have the DVD player and the DVR connected to each other, since each one is essentially an output only device (other than the coax cable input to the DVR).  Just connect an output from each one separately to the TV, and switch inputs to the TV depending on whether you want to watch a DVD or a cable program.
Visitor

Thanks!

Is there some sort of adapter I can buy for this, or is it physically unconnecting the DVR and connecting the DVD everytime I want to watch a DVD?  There is only 1 set of inputs on the TV, and the connectors are in the back of the TV and not easy to get to.

Jennifer

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

[ Edited ]
If you have the DVD and DVR connected separately you should be able to select different inputs to the TV using the TV remote.
Message Edited by WarEagle57 on 11-14-2009 08:10 AM
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Since your Mitsubishi TV only has one video input (the composite and the S video are shared), you need a audio-video (AV) switcher to switch your video inputs from the DVR and the DVD to the composite inputs on your TV.  This would be the yellow lead (video), white (left audio) and red (right audio).

Stop by a Radio Shack and ask the guy that you need a simple AV switcher to switch 2 inputs to one output.  You do not need the version that includes a modulator.  You just need to switch 2 sets of composite AV inputs into one composite AV output.  Total you will need 3 sets of video cables, (with 3 leads, yellow-red-white.  You might have 2 sets of these cables already.

Connect the switcher using one cable from the cable box to input one, the 2nd cable to input 2, and the output will go to the TV composite video in (yellow), and the red and white to the RCA audio in ports.  Just keep matching the colors.

They might have a switcher with just pushbuttons, or you can go deluxe by getting one with a remote control to change the switcher.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Visitor

Thanks!
New Visitor

I have a Sylvania TV, and a Symphonic DvD player I have hook up the jack by color-code to the TV and to the DVD player, but I cannot see the DVds I try to play. Is ther a special channel I have to have the TV on??? Is there a special hook up I should have???
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Cathyblue --

You probably only need to select the proper input to the TV, using the TV's remote.  Check your TV manual for instructions.  It has nothing to do with the cable, but it might help to know how the TV is connected to the cable, just to be able to tell which input to the TV not to select.

Regular Contributor
laneiam

Is there an adapter that will let you hook up both the DVD and the DVR with the HDMI.  I thought I read it in the directions on how to hook up the DVR

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

laneiam wrote:

Is there an adapter that will let you hook up both the DVD and the DVR with the HDMI.  I thought I read it in the directions on how to hook up the DVR

You can purchase an HDMI switch that will allow you to choose among alternate sources.  Try Google.

Visitor
kreed987

Okay I have the same problem...but also a little more to add to it...While I was able to set up the DVR with no problem, I cannot turn the volume up on the remote. I have tried several different codes to program the remote, but, I have obviously have had no luck. And I also have a PS3 that I've been trying to hookup as well, but the only solution I can think of is to completely unplug the DVR and hook the PS3 back up. I have an RF modulator, and a 2-way and a 4-way splitter, is their a way to hook the PS3 up to the RF modulator and be able to do playback on it?

Kim