Contributor

New DVD Player and old TV

I need connection advice for a new DVD Player and an old TV.  I have a Comcast DVR and have just bought an LG DVD Player.  My TV two jacks Audio/Video IN on the front and a coaxial connection on the back.  The TV was previously configured with a DVD Recorder and had an S-connector for that purpose.  The new DVD Player does not have an S-connector.

It is no longer necessary to record to the DVD, just play.  What do I need to do to connect my TV to the DVD Player to get the video?  The wiring diagrams on the Comcast website do not address my situation.

A new TV is not in my budget yet.  Any help is appreciated.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: New DVD Player and old TV

By S-connector, do you mean s-video?  How is the DVR connected to the TV, and what outputs does the DVD player have?
Contributor

S-video.  Because the TV has no Left and Right Audio, the AV cable connects Audio L, Audio R and Video OUT on the DVR to Audio and Video IN on the TV.  The cable has 2 connectors at one end and 3 at the other.

The cable from the DVR to the previous DVD recorder connected Audio L, Audio R, and S-Video to Audio L, Audio R, and S-Video.  It is the S-Video connection that no longer applies to the new DVD player.

The DVD player has 2 ch Audio OUT, Video OUT (I’m pretty sure these are the correct ones), Ps, Pr, Y OUT, Digital Audio OUT (coaxial), 7.1CH Analog Audio OUT, and HDMI OUT.  It’s the video piece that isn’t complete since the S-video from the DVR cannot connect to Video OUT on the DVD.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You don't want to connect the DVR to the DVD player, just leave the DVR connected to the TV.  Then you need to connect the DVD player to the TV.  The problem is that you don't seem to have enough inputs (video and audio) on the TV to be able to connect both the DVR and the DVD player to it simultaneously.  You might try connecting the DVR to the TV using the coax (removing the current connectors and leaving the TV tuned to channel 3 or 4), and connect the DVD player to the TV using the A/V.  Or you might just physically unplug the DVR connectors to the TV and replace them with the DVD connectors when you want to use the DVD.  None of these options seem very satisfactory to me.