Official Employee
ComcastTeds

New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes

[ Edited ]

You may not think about the On-Screen Program Guide every day (the interface that connects you, via your remote control, to all the channels and On Demand programming you enjoy) and that’s ok because I do (along with a team of people here at Comcast).

When you do share your opinions and ideas – through direct feedback, blog posts, forums and research – my colleagues and I gather all that information and work it into our planning and design of upgrades and new Guides.

We heard loud and clear from customers that live in what we call Scientific Atlanta/Cisco (or SA) markets (that’s you, if you have a cable box with Scientific-Atlanta or Cisco logo on the front panel) that you want your Guide to have more shortcuts, load On Demand faster, and have a user-friendly interface.

We listened (and continue to listen). Customers in several states (CT, LA, GA, MN, TX, and NM) with SA and Cisco equipment have already started to receive the addition of several new features.

The new features are being launched on a rolling basis, market by market and will continue into  2013. Once I have updated and confirmed schedules for the next areas I will be able to post that information in this thread. 

So, what’s new? For starters, DVR Manager, Caller ID to the TV and full use of the XFINITY TV app.

Details on these and some other new features are below:

DVR Manager: From the internet and the Xfinity TV app, customers can: set recordings, view/modify scheduled recordings, view completed recordings, modify series priority lists, etc.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/mydvr/how-to/

Caller ID to the TV See who's calling, right from your TV and PC! Comcast Universal Caller ID takes the guesswork out of incoming calls. http://www.comcast.net/callerid

Xfinity TV Application: The ability to use your iPad to change channels.

http://www.xfinity.com/help/internet/mobile-tv-app/

HSN Shop-by-Remote: A convenient, new way to make HSN purchases simply by using your remote.  

http://xfinity.comcast.net/newguide/iTV_HSN_0113.pdf

Request for Info: Know more, save more! Introducing an easy way to request valuable coupons and info from advertisers simply by using your remote. 
http://xfinity.comcast.net/newguide/iTV_RFI_0113.pdf

Ready Remind and Ready Record: Now you can conveniently set program reminders or recordings directly from certain TV show and movie advertisements.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/newguide/iTV_RRR_0113.pdf

Customers can visit the Web page for the new Guide to learn more.

I look forward to your feedback

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Re: New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes

[ Edited ]

Just making the "move" from the Comcast Voices site to the Comcast Help & Services Support site where we can have some better interaction and provide updates as needed. 

There are several customer facing issues resolved in this guide release as well, including the following:

- DVR Boxes losing functionality of 15 second rewind and 5 minute skip back after being online for a significant period of time.

- DVR over-recording issues with New and Repeat episodes

- Not Authorized messages appearing on authorized channels

- HD Pass through working with HDMI cables

- RNG 200 and RNG200N: When watching live TV, pressing rewind may rewind all the way to the beginning of the buffer and bring the customer back to live TV.

- RNG 200 and RNG 200N: Audio /video occasionally cuts in and out after swapping channels.

- RNG200N: Video momentarily blacks out while watching TV.

Contributor
dukesilver

[ Edited ]

Ted mentioned that Houston and Galveston will be receiving the new update this week.  Does that also include the Woodlands/Spring area?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

dukesilver wrote:

Ted mentioned that Houston and Galveston will be receiving the new update this week.  Does that also include the Woodlands/Spring area?

Yes, all Comcast areas of Texas are scheduled for next week.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

aNy iDeA on when 3D function will work in 06498 area code ?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

if your in the SA Cisco market you need one of these boxes

Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) RNG150 (HD cable box)

Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) RNG200 (HD/DVR cable box)

Visitor
tavy64

Unless there is a way to restore my on screen displays to the way they were before you guys broke them today I'll be shopping for something else.

Every TV in my house just got a DOWNgrade to a crummy little 4:3 format on screen guide, DVR, and  On Demand menu.  Who in the world could possibly consider this an improvement?

Visitor

Same here. Was wide screen, now all are 4:3. 

Visitor
BobY12

I'm a new Comcast customer located in Vermont (05489) and currently in the 30-day trial period. I was issued a Cisco RNG200N. Will this roll-out include this area in the future?

TNX.

Regular Contributor

Ted its Tom from Blackwood again.  Zip Code 08012.  You had mention that the guide roll out was planned for November.  Its December and no roll out.  Is there an update?

Tom

Visitor
nspader

Any word on when the latest SA Release will come to Midlothian VA 23112?  I am expecially interested in DVR Manager and Any room DVR.  Please advise.

Contributor

Any idea when Jackson, MS will get the updates to the guide?  It's been over 1.5 years since we were promised the last update. 

Contributor

Why did wake up and the Guide is now 4:3 and not 16:9 on 4:3 anymore? 

Contributor
dukesilver

[ Edited ]

My  RNG-200N was updated to the new S26 version last night.  The 4:3 guide is disappointing.  I'd much rather have the 16:9 view back, even if it was just stretched.  It's too bad there's not at least an option to choose which view you prefer.

My other problem is that the comcast TV app on my android phone now recognizes my cable box, but I am unable to use the app to change channels.  I'm also unable to send the TV name from the app to appear on the cable box.

Also,the DVR Manager website still says that DVR manager is not available yet for my zip code.  Has the DVR Manager and TV app control not yet been fully turned on in the Houston area?

EDIT:  this page says that "TV Control is not activated for this account":  http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes

Any suggestions?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

UHFhd wrote:

aNy iDeA on when 3D function will work in 06498 area code ?

3D On Demand content should be available in your area

More info here:

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/DigitalCable/3D.html

You would need one of the cable boxes listed on the page below:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/can-my-cable-box-get-3d-programming/

Call us at 1-800-XFINITY or chat with us https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/ now to get access to your 3D channels. If you already have the appropriate high-definition (HD) cable box, you won’t need to schedule a service call or get a new cable box. There’s no additional charge for 3D programming.

Bronze Star Contributor
TurnerBrewer

The 4:3 guide is terrible...The guide is squished into the middle of my 60" screen....

Comcast should allow us to change it based on preference.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

tavy64 wrote:

Unless there is a way to restore my on screen displays to the way they were before you guys broke them today I'll be shopping for something else.

Every TV in my house just got a DOWNgrade to a crummy little 4:3 format on screen guide, DVR, and  On Demand menu.  Who in the world could possibly consider this an improvement?

tavy 64 - yes, we have started our guide update in the Houston area. 

When on an HD channel and with this guide, the guide overlays are now displayed in a 4:3 format instead of stretching to a 16:9 format. We heard from many customers that with the previous guide that having the guide auto-stretch to 16:9 on an HD channel made it very hard to read the text and made the fonts very "bitmappy" and overly accentuated the font aliasing especially on larger TV sets.

The 4:3 guide experience when on an HD channel is consistent with what the majority of our customers have had for some time.

One thing you can check is in the user settings (steps outlined below) is to change the 4:3 override to 480p, that should have a full screen guide and info bar when on SD channels and the other experience when on HD channels.

1. To access user settings, turn OFF your set-top box; it will remain in standby mode.

2. Press GUIDE on your remote while the set-top box is in standby mode. OR press Channel Up + Channel Down simultaneously on the front panel of the set-top box. 3. From here you can set up your video settings and resolution output.

- Video Settings: Configure the settings to your TV type. 4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 PAN/SCAN or 16:9 wide-screen.

- Resolution Output: Configure the HDMI/YPbPr output to either 480p std, 480i std, Pass Thru, 1080i. 4:3 Override: Options are Off, 480p, 480i, Stretch. Change the 4:3 Override to 480p

More information on the guide in general and the new features can be found at the link below: http://www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

If you are having trouble with the On Demand menu displaying correctly, the above steps should also resolve that issue.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

BobY12 wrote:

I'm a new Comcast customer located in Vermont (05489) and currently in the 30-day trial period. I was issued a Cisco RNG200N. Will this roll-out include this area in the future?

TNX.

Yes, all areas where we use Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes are currently scheduled to get these new features during the first three months of 2013. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

thoma wrote:

Ted its Tom from Blackwood again.  Zip Code 08012.  You had mention that the guide roll out was planned for November.  Its December and no roll out.  Is there an update?

Tom

thoma - We have already started to deliver additional features in several of our locations where we use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded cable boxes (areas of CT, LA, GA, MN, TX and NM).

Those new features are set to be delivered to the remainder of our locations in early 2013.

Once I have a specific date for your area of New Jersey I will certainly list that information here. It is expected to be during the first three months of  2013.

Our current deployments are now in New Mexico and Texas. From a nationwide deployment perspective, we are now about 25% complete.   

There had been a few minor issues with a small number of cable boxes that we discovered during extensive lab testing and our initial customer trials over the summer.

We have adjusted these things in order to have a better overall customer experience. The recent storms and some competing priorities coupled with the necessary software adjustments are some reasons why we have been delayed our next locations that were moved to December. Apologies for the delay.

The new features and fixes are detailed in earlier posts on this page.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

nspader wrote:

Any word on when the latest SA Release will come to Midlothian VA 23112?  I am expecially interested in DVR Manager and Any room DVR.  Please advise.

Yes, all areas where we use Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes are currently scheduled to get these new features during the first three months of 2013.

Regarding AnyRoom DVR in your area: Our goal is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings. We have trials underway in the Boston area now.

The X1 experience (linke below) is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

More info on the new X1 experience is available at this link: http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

The X1 experience is rolling out to more locations now and in 2013, more information here:

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/x1-moves-west-to-silicon-valley

Thanks again for your patience as we work to improve the experience.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

sagostinelli wrote:

Any idea when Jackson, MS will get the updates to the guide?  It's been over 1.5 years since we were promised the last update. 

Thanks for your patience, All of our remaining locations with Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta cable boxes are scheduled to get these new features in the first three months of 2013.  

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

BrandonFranco wrote:

Why did wake up and the Guide is now 4:3 and not 16:9 on 4:3 anymore? 

Yes, we have started our guide update in the Houston area. 

When on an HD channel and with this guide, the guide overlays are now displayed in a 4:3 format instead of stretching to a 16:9 format. We heard from many customers that with the previous guide that having the guide auto-stretch to 16:9 on an HD channel made it very hard to read the text and made the fonts very "bitmappy" and overly accentuated the font aliasing especially on larger TV sets.

The 4:3 guide experience when on an HD channel is consistent with what the majority of our customers have had for some time.

One thing you can check is in the user settings (steps outlined below) is to change the 4:3 override to 480p, that should have a full screen guide and info bar when on SD channels and the other experience when on HD channels.

1. To access user settings, turn OFF your set-top box; it will remain in standby mode.

2. Press GUIDE on your remote while the set-top box is in standby mode. OR press Channel Up + Channel Down simultaneously on the front panel of the set-top box. 3. From here you can set up your video settings and resolution output.

- Video Settings: Configure the settings to your TV type. 4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 PAN/SCAN or 16:9 wide-screen.

- Resolution Output: Configure the HDMI/YPbPr output to either 480p std, 480i std, Pass Thru, 1080i. 4:3 Override: Options are Off, 480p, 480i, Stretch. Change the 4:3 Override to 480p

More information on the guide in general and the new features can be found at the link below: http://www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

dukesilver wrote:

My other problem is that the comcast TV app on my android phone now recognizes my cable box, but I am unable to use the app to change channels.  I'm also unable to send the TV name from the app to appear on the cable box.

Also,the DVR Manager website still says that DVR manager is not available yet for my zip code.  Has the DVR Manager and TV app control not yet been fully turned on in the Houston area?

EDIT:  this page says that "TV Control is not activated for this account":  http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes

Any suggestions?

Apologies for the issue you described. I've asked the team to look at your account to see what's up here and get this resolved. Thanks for your patience. 

Visitor
tavy64

While I appreciate a reply, your suggestion is for me to check the settings to make sure the guide is in the currently awful state?  That's about as helpful as me getting up to find my glasses so I can now read the crunched up small text in the center of a 55" screen that was just perfect before it was messed with.

You may have previously heard otherwise, but you have several current customers here (I'd bet many more less vocal) who hate the current change.

I'm also not much concerned if the majority of your customers are used to a inferior, downgraded product.  I am not, and I'm under no obligation to continue buying such.  I would suggest adding an option in the menu to correct this obvious oversight.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

tavy 4, I don't think you understand.   Turn your cable box off, with it off press menu on your remote.  In there are the settings for your hdtv.  make sure your tv type is set to 16:9   for 4:3 set it to stretch and the guide will now fill your screen, it might be a little distored but it fills the screen.  This is how the other 80% of us customers live.  There will be no going back to the way it was as comcast is leveling out everyone to the same software.   Also if that does not work here is another way for those boxes.   full screen guide has never been there for most of us customers.

On Scientific Atlanta/Cisco boxes you must access the HD Wizard on the Comcast remote as follow:

1. Press Cable (very top)

2. Press Power (to the right)

3. Press HD Zoom (bottom rigth corner of number pad)

4. Read and choose A or B (mid section of remote)

5. Press Select on the box 1080

6. Press Exit

7. Press Power

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

There is a problem with VOD , the page displays in 480i , in order to select 3D viewing mode from TV menu the VOD page needs to be viewed in 1080i for tv to recognize 3D capable .

When using change viewing of all to 1080i the lower channels are then distorted/stretched  3,4,6, etc so need to view HD channels 1003,1004,1006 then format is correct .

Contributor

When is the 2.0 Guide launching? A rep said Feburary 2013.

Contributor
jrbaytown

I haven't been able to get answers on this via chat and finally called in to 800COMCAST.  The rep said this week we (Houston Market) are receiving the guide update, but the other features will not be available in Houston until January 2013.

I'm just confused, because the only change to my service has been the current guide has changed to the 4:3 (which I cannot believe the majority of people want). 

The rep also said my Scientific Atlanta 'Explorer 8300HD' is compatible.  So, I have two different answers on whether or not the guide w/DVR manager and other features are available.  Which is correct because as of today I have nothing new and cannot access DVR manager.  I receive the same error message I've always received...it isn't available in my area, zip code 77521.

Contributor
dukesilver

[ Edited ]

ComcastTeds wrote:

dukesilver wrote:

Any suggestions?

Apologies for the issue you described. I've asked the team to look at your account to see what's up here and get this resolved. Thanks for your patience. 

Thank you for forwarding my issue.   Will someone be contacting me via email or a phone call?

Earlier today I relayed my problem to online chat tech support, and he thought it might be a sync'ing issue.  So he had me powercycle my dvr, and then told me to wait 6 hours before trying to get the TV app to work again.  Unfortuantly, it still does not work.  Also the availability on the DVR Manager page for my zip code still says it's not available, and the http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes page still says "TV Control is not activated for this account".

Contributor
mark7835

Same thing here.  It shows the TV3 and TV4, but nothing can be done..

Visitor
tucker973

We've been promised this upgrade for more than a year in Northeast PA (18509 zip code). When will this be rolled out so I can program my DVR online?

Contributor
derbystar16

tucker973... I'm with you. I live in NEPA (18643) and this is pathetic. Comcast is lucky that they have a monopoly on the Phillies because if they didn't, everyone in PA would be on DirectTV.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

UHFhd wrote:

There is a problem with VOD , the page displays in 480i , in order to select 3D viewing mode from TV menu the VOD page needs to be viewed in 1080i for tv to recognize 3D capable .

When using change viewing of all to 1080i the lower channels are then distorted/stretched  3,4,6, etc so need to view HD channels 1003,1004,1006 then format is correct .

Apologies for the issue you described and thanks for the details.

I have our teams attempting to re-create this scenario so that it can be observed in our labs and better understood.

I provided the teams your contact information should they have any additional questions. Thanks for your patience. I assume you are seeing this issue on your Cisco RNG 150N?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

BrandonFranco wrote:

When is the 2.0 Guide launching? A rep said February 2013.

For Houston that guide is expected to be available in early 2013. More information on that guide is available here: http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

That guide experience will only be available with a subscription to AnyRoom DVR in the selected areas where we use Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta cable boxes. New cable boxes and a professional installation are required for this experience.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

dukesilver wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

dukesilver wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thank you for forwarding my issue.   Will someone be contacting me via email or a phone call?

Earlier today I relayed my problem to online chat tech support, and he thought it might be a sync'ing issue.  So he had me powercycle my dvr, and then told me to wait 6 hours before trying to get the TV app to work again.  Unfortuantly, it still does not work.  Also the availability on the DVR Manager page for my zip code still says it's not available, and the http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes page still says "TV Control is not activated for this account".

The team is actively working this issue and will contact you directly if they need additional information. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

tucker973 wrote:

We've been promised this upgrade for more than a year in Northeast PA (18509 zip code). When will this be rolled out so I can program my DVR online?

Thanks for your patience, All of our remaining locations with Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta cable boxes are scheduled to get these new features in the first three months of 2013.

New Visitor
CJM111

Seems like there is little communication going on at Comcast/Xfinity.  When I turned on my tv yesterday I noticed the guide had shrunk.  I tried several options on my own and then tried "Chat." After more than an hour of trying to resolve the issue, the agent told me it was a box problem and the box needed to be replaced.  I then decided to call just to make sure.  The tech support guy went through all the gyrations of turning off, sending a new signal, etc.  NO ONE AT ANY TIME TOLD ME THERE HAD  BEEN SOME KIND OF "UPGRADE" THAT IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM.  Instead, he, too told me to replace my box.  So, I went to the xfinity store this morning and got a replacement box...not a new box by the way, but a refurbished one that the clerk told me, "Comcast never has any new boxes...every box that Comcast gets is refurbished," which I find interesting.  Anyway, came home, followed all the instructions and turned on the tv and still have the small aspect guide.  Called back and the tech support agent had me go through all the same "fixes" only to have nothing work.  I finally found this site and see that this is not MY problem, BUT COMCAST's problem.  What a nice gift to give at Christmas...a guide that is less functional and less in appearance than we had before.  The agent says she is sending someone to my house that can make a repair to the box, which I doubt since it appears to be a programming issue and not a hardware issue.  But, I have an appointment and lucky me.  My appointment is only 8 days away...good thing I have some reception. 

I am a fairly new consumer to Comcast, having had Verizon FIOS previously and I must admit, there is quite a difference in quality, programming ease of the DVR, everything.  I hate to say it but, FIOS is like the Mercedes or Rolls Royce of cable and my experience with xfinity/comcast is more like the worst car you have ever driven.  Sorry, but this has been my experience from the first day when the installer showed up the wrong day and then could not figure out how to connect to the cable box that was installed previously.  It took three days for someone to come to get the cable connected....so I have a little bad feeling for the company from the onset and this just makes it all worse.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

CJM111 - Apologies for the issue and the misinformation you received.

I have followed up with the local team in your area and they will contact you and and cancel the scheduled technician visit.

No picture and no video service calls are understandably prioritized over an on-screen guide issue. I am glad to hear that you still can watch TV.  

You should see some added functionality next month with the features I listed at the beginning of this thread and also instructions on how to have the full screen guide and menus on SD channels (also in his thread). 

Thanks for your feedback.

Visitor
tucker973

I guess I shouldn't have really expected much out of the reply, but I do appreciate you taking the time to post at least. It's just kind of ridiculous that every quarter (three months, as you put it), the response is "your location is scheduled to get the update in the next three months." We heard this last fall for Q1 2012. Then when spring rolled around, it was Q2. Then Q3, Q4, now we're into Q1 2013. What's the point of giving dates  at all if they are completely and totally meaningless? You might as well just say "we have no information on an upgrade in your area at this time." At least that admits you're blowing it off.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Wow, I sure fell into your trap. I did not see that coming.

I outlined a few of the issues regarding the delays in the above posts and in the Comcast Voices blog. Apologies again that we haven't been able to get this out to more areas sooner.  Schedules are always subject to change but I am very confident in the current timelines.  

The difference is now that we have 25% of the areas deployed with excellent results in several states, Apologies that PA is not yet one of deployed locations yet. 

We will get the new features and fixes out in Scranton soon and I would like to give you a call and invite you to lunch when the features are deployed there - that is scheduled to be before the end of March 2013, but I realize that you may not believe that.  

Thanks again for your continued patience and all of your feedback.   

Contributor
Thomcli

i have a Cisco DVR and have the new software update.  The iPad app shows a device but when I go to the dvr manager web site I get this message. 

DVR Manager is available in your area. However, we are 
unable to detect a compatible DVR in your household.

any help is appreciated. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

what cisco dvr do you have, you have to have a compatible set top box.  It also takes a few days for the synching to work. 

Contributor
Thomcli

I have a Cisco rng200

Contributor

Ted,

Is there any thing scheduled for the 03031 area in New Hampshire yet?  I was led to believe a few months ago that the new X1 platform would be available by the end of November, but here we are in the middle of December and still no word yet. 

Thanks...

Contributor

Ted,

Thanks for keeping everyone updated on the rollouts of the new channel guide.   Understand that the scale and scope of thing kind of change is always challenging.    On a brighter note...The New X1 platform looks AWESOME!!!   Any high-level timelines you can share??.     I would give my first born to be part of a pilot in the Philly/NJ area.   :smileylaugh:

Thanks,

Andy

Contributor
dukesilver

ComcastTeds wrote:

dukesilver wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

dukesilver wrote:

Any suggestions?

The team is actively working this issue and will contact you directly if they need additional information. Thanks for your patience.

Thank you.  I am now able to manage my DVR though the DVR Manager website, but the TV app still will not let me change channels nor record a show (even though my DVR shows up in the app).  I'm assuming it'll just take a few more days for TV Control to activate...

New Visitor

Ted, I have a similar problem to dukesilver.  The app, or web site, sees my dvr's, has synced all my recordings, etc, but will not control the box. About the only thing I can do is create a scheduled recording or delete recordings.  I rebooted all my dvr's but still no luck. 

Contributor
dukesilver

[ Edited ]

Well, the Remote Help page ( xfinitytv.comcast.net/rh ) actually let me activate the Remote Tune Activation.  After I did that and powercycled my DVR, the 'Manage Cable Boxes & DVRs' page now shows that TV Control is 'On' for my DVR.  However, I'm still not able to control my Cisco RNG-200N with the Xfinity TV Android app.  Again, the app sees my DVR, but it won't change channels.

I made sure that the DVR Manager was finished sync'ing before testing.  I also tried unistalling the app, rebooting my phone, and reinstalling.  Turning TV Control off, saving and then turning it back on also did not work.

New Visitor

I too have done most of these steps but still no joy. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you all should be posting these issues in the xfinitytv app thread, this space is for updates coming to your area.  you will get better traction with responses there.  Most of the problems you are experiencing if dvr manager is in your area is going to be on comcasts end with your account set up