Contributor
Accepted Solution

New Guide-Lost Dolby Digital 5.1

Hello all.  I'm in Cape Coral, Florida, and we just got the new on-screen guide a few hours ago.  I had been getting Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on all channels offering that.  But now with the new guide, it's just plain stereo.

I've got a Cisco RNG 200 HD DVR connected to my HDTV via the component cables and the Cisco's coax digital audio out is connected to the HDTV's coax digital audio in.  I'm not using HDMI because with the Cisco and my HDTV, there's a bad audio/video sync problem with HDMI and using component and the coax digital audio output that issue is alleviated.

Before the new guide, I was able to get into the Cisco settings and set the audio output to Dolby Digital.  But with the new guide, the only audio options I can find are mono, stereo and matrix.

Anyone know how I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 back?

Contributor

Re: New Guide-Lost Dolby Digital 5.1

Okay -- this is absolutely hilarious.  I emailed Comcast support about my Dolby Digital issue now that my city has the new on-screen guide.  They're telling me to get Dolby Digital back, I need to turn off the audio in the HDMI setting and that will send DD through the digital audio optical output of my Cisco box.

Is anyone at Comcast actually able to read and/or understand what a customer is telling them?

1.  I am not using HDMI, I am using component connections because HDMI has an a/v sync issue.

2.  I am using the digital audio coax connection (my surround sound system doesn't have digital optical).

And, by the way, they just raised the rates in Southwest Florida.

Contributor
donaldsonjune

hello flaboy,

i'm having an issue with tnt-hd & amc-hd.  n0 dolby digital 5.1 on sterio  on these channels.

Regular Visitor

I am having the exact same problem on a new just out of shrinkwrap RNG200 (replacing my old RNG200 with audio dropouts, not authorized errors, and massive trouble on a few HD channels... but at least the 5.1 sound worked.

Current firmware is:  S25p3.1109.r-27

There is NO way of getting to HDMI settings on this box, and thus no way to get better than 2.0 sound.

Currently connected via HDMI to an Onkyo 607 which can take the crappy PCM 2.0 audio and make something of it, but I'm really missing my Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

Attempted to plug in an optical cable to see if that shook the box loose to no avail. Considering this thread has 400+ views... it MUST BE A PROBLEM.

Anyway, I chatted with a tech a couple of nights ago, and he was useless in helping me, assuming the audio setup option held the keys.  

For the Record, this is what Audio Setup looks like:

Default Audio Track (Channel Default)

Audio Output (TV Speakers, Stereo, or Advanced)

Compression (None, Light, Heavy)

Stereo Output (Mono, Stereo, Matrix)

Optimal Stereo (Select to optimize)

Stereo on Audio Output leaves you with - Optimal Stereo (Select to optimize)... AND NO OTHER OPTIONS

Advanced gets you Compression, Stereo Output, and Optimal Stereo

For those of us that value sound and have receivers that process things properly... we want our options back.  I'm sure its a software bug (I'm a former developer, and IT project manager... geeky enough to know) that wasn't caught in QA.  

Techs:  may i suggest you test this on a fresh box, and not one that is already configured properly then updated? 

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

I am using HDMI and an optical cable for Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, however I cannot seem to get it to work. Can you help?

In order to have Dolby Digital 5.1 audio output to your surround sound system, you will need to turn HDMI audio OFF via the guide menu. Here are the steps:

1. Press Menu twice on your silver Comcast remote control
  2. Select Setup
  3. Select Audio Setup
  4. Arrow down to the HDMI Audio Output option and press the left arrow button on your remote to select Off. This will allow the SPDIF output to send the audio to a receiver and the TV will not output sound.

If you wish to listen to the HDMI audio via the TV, you will have to turn HDMI audio On following the same steps above. This will allow the HDMI output to send the audio to the TV so the TV provides the audio.

Please note: These instructions do not apply if you have an RNG set-top box as the RNG box should pass both HDMI audio and optical audio simultaneously.

If you just received the guide last week (areas of VA, WV and NC) a software patch to address this issue is scheduled for this week.  The software update will occur overnight automatically. I apologize for the inconvenience,

Please let me know if the above does not resolve. Thanks.  

The attached may assist: http://por-chr.cimcontent.net/ui/pdf/meetyourguide/Audio_Setup_Guide.pdf

Regular Visitor

OK, I have an RNG200 box, as listed above... but it only ever outputs in PCM 2.0.  Where is the Dolby Digital?

I do happen to be in Arlington, VA.  Does the update announcement pertain to me and thus will I get a fix?

Thanks

Contributor
cjstrain

That's funny, mine will only do Dolby and I would rather have PCM! I think in Audio Setup, you can try Matrix. Hopefully this "update" is worth it to get to the new Tru2Way TRUE update at the end of the year. The 4:3 guide and loss of options, like PIP, setup options, etc., is pretty SAD!!

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

blacktalon wrote:

OK, I have an RNG200 box, as listed above... but it only ever outputs in PCM 2.0.  Where is the Dolby Digital?

I do happen to be in Arlington, VA.  Does the update announcement pertain to me and thus will I get a fix?

Thanks

Your area in northern VA does already have the referenced software update. Let me see about the surround sound receiver that you have -  Onkyo 607...

Have you unplugged the cable box and the Onkyo receiver from power and then plug back in to re-establish the HDMI handshake to the TV? Also you may want to try to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable from the cable box and the receiver..

Do you have the same issue if you use a coaxial out or optical audio cable for digital audio?

New Visitor
mc78

Any word on this issue from anyone yet?  I'm having the same problem with my RNG200 box.  I do NOT have the option for HDMI in the menu settings.  Only Stereo and Matrix.

I've power cycled my cable box, etc.  Confirmed my home theater pc can pass through 5.1 surround sound to my Onkyo reciever then to my TV just fine....

I don't have a prior point of reference if this ever worked or not because I just got my tv service turned on again after a year a few weeks ago.

I'm trying to do as much research on my own as possible before having to resort to going through the motions of contacting tech support as I already can foresee this being a difficult thing to find someone on the other end to be able to assist me with.

I should NOT have to use an optical cable to achieve 5.1 surround sound on my TV.  This should work through HDMI.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Correct, your RNG 200 won't have the guide menu options to select for HDMI because that box automatically passes Dolby Digital 5.0 audio via the HDMI.

Have you tried to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cables? Sometimes the HDMI handshake just needs to be reestablished.    

Contributor
cjstrain

And what about an option to disable Dolby 5.1 and go back to PCM like the old guide had?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

cjstrain - The previous guide software had an audio setting menu that allowed the customer an option to set their SPDIF audio output (Optical audio out) to PCM (Pulse Code Modulation audio) or Dolby Digital.

This new guide does not offer that option and outputs only Dolby Digital audio via the SPDIF audio output (optical audio out).

We have a solution that is already in our On-Screen Guide 2.0 http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 as a customer selectable option; the options for audio digital output in that guide are Dolby Digital, HDMI and Other (other being PCM).

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is already available to customers in  Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee and parts of Louisiana when they subscribe to our AnyRoom DVR service.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds