New Visitor
WillieBthe3rd

New HDTV, but can't see all of my channels

How do I watch my Expanded Basic Cable channels on my new HDTV, without the cable box? It downconverts everything to NTSC, so we get no benefit from our new TV set. If I connect the Cable directly to the TV, I only get the LIMITED BASIC channels. What do I need to get the Preferred tier and the HD channels that are part of Preferred?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: New HDTV, but can't see all of my channels

[ Edited ]

Digital Starter and Digital Preferred would need a HD full cable box to receive HD digital channels which are encrypted.  You would need a HD cable box, HD service on your account and then connect the HD cable box with either HDMI or component cables to the HDTV.

Any remaining analog channels would be std def only, and the clearQAM limited basic digital channels is what most receive without the proper digital cable plan and equipment.

Most of those remaining analog cable channels will be disappearing eventually.  Most have already lost most of the analogs with the digital migration.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Re: New HDTV, but can't see all of my channels

WillieBthe3rd wrote:

How do I watch my Expanded Basic Cable channels on my new HDTV, without the cable box? It downconverts everything to NTSC, so we get no benefit from our new TV set. If I connect the Cable directly to the TV, I only get the LIMITED BASIC channels. What do I need to get the Preferred tier and the HD channels that are part of Preferred?

Exactly, our friends at the FCC (who are supposedly looking out for our interests) allows Comcast (and probably all others) to encrypt all channels other than "limited basic".  Thus rendering useless the Digital Tuner in your new TV worthless, except for limited basic (local) channels.  But wait, there's more:  Comcast is now trying to get approval from the FCC (those people who are supposed to be on our side) to encrypt the limited basic channels, which will make you new TV's tuner totally worthless!  To get the other channels in HD you will need to not only subscribe to that service, but also pay an additional service fee for HD, and get a differant set-top box to decode those channels.