Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide

Comcast should be ashamed for offering those alternatives to being able to record same show same time every week like we HAD BEFORE the 'upgrade'.

Their suggestions are terrible. The one they gave to record manually cracked me up. You would never know what shows you had recorded...duh.

As for  their priority suggestion..are you kidding me?

The right answer from them should be an apology and a software update. It still boggles my mind that they think than any of their customers would want to record duplicates or repeats of any show...HUH?

AND along with all that  I can no longer  record two and watch another live on what is now encrypted  so I am going slightly mad keeping up with what I have to set to record on what day every week, what I have to watch On Demand and what I can't watch at all because some networks don't have all the shows On Demand.

What in the world has happened to us? How many steps backward is Comcast going to take us?

TerriB

Regular Contributor
Anon161446

IMHO, lack of competition and cost cutting.  I find most Comcast employees dedicated and willing to help but not having the authority to fix real problems. 

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

I agree about the employees that I have worked with on the phone with Comcast. Have had good experiences over the years and they do forward the 'gripes' but like you said they can't fix stuff. I don't think these so called enhancements are due to cost cutting. Its mostly software changes  and supposedly they were trying to get all boxes to work the same instead of replacing SA with Motorola. They should have made Motorola look like SA instead of the other way around.

TerriB

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you are correct about the sofware, CS reps cant help you with that.  As for your motorola comment, over 80% of comcast customers are motorola customers, so you can see why they are going this route.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

DId not know that Motorola was the majority. I love many features of the new guide and DVR but the ones we lost are really needed.

TerriB

Contributor
coyote50

What amazes me is they seem to monitor this board but don't get the hint the so many customers are unhappy with the new "UPGRADE" and they really don't care. I'm glad to see my local phone company coming to my area so you know where i will be looking!!!!! 

Contributor
moron-customer

Until at least 10 million customers (about 1/2 their customer base) complain, they don't have to listen.  So really, if you ask me, there ads, that we pay for and to watch are fraudulant "the best customer experience" is certainly not on their real agenda, collecting our money is.

Contributor
ssn2cvn

Huge, obtrusive pop-ups telling me things like "Do you want to change the channel when recording starts or cancel the recording?" NEITHER! It''s a two-tuner DVR, stupid! RECORDING HAS ENDED blocks the screen, Why? Then, we have "power off will cancel" warning? The channel-guide is now clumsy to scroll through, not to mention the undesirable ads. Then I find recordings set for an hour that record for 3-20 mintes then just stop?? There are a dozen or more things that are wrong or just don''t work after the "upgrade", Now, the DVR decided to simply NOT record some scheduled programs last night.

There was plently of room, but when we checked later in the evenings, the recordings were simply not done. This has been an journey from something that worked reasonably well to a fiasco. Did I mention this is my sixth box in three tears? Why doesn''t someone at Comcast fix this ridiculous "upgrade?" Now I read where a technician came out and did a "full software" down grade for someone that seem to solve many of the issues. If there is a software issue, then you are aware of it and you need to fix it. Read your own forums for god sake, this is not a joke just very poor business. I talked to the Office of the President in Philly and got both of my input lines replace... it fixed the pixilation problem but the software and useability issues suck. Fix it or lose the business if your care at all.

Contributor
ssn2cvn

I know that you are trying to help but I have been dealing with different DVR equipment since about 1999, from Direct TV to TiVo to Cox Cable and now Comcast and this is the most incredibly screwed up system I have ever dealt with. There are obvious software issues with the "new" Xfinity system/guide that need to be acknowledge and addressed because they are basically being ignored. I am not the only one dealing with these issues... Read any of your Comcast blogs. I have had my input cables replaced all the way from the street to the house by talking to Corporate in Philly and gained about 3 dB (??) and an amplifier was installed at the ingress point to the house. That solved much of the pixelation issues, until last Friday night when about 2 hours worth of broadcasts were pixelated to point of being unwatchable. That was the incoming signal, not my house... So what happened there?

I also have recordings that last 6 minutes vice the hour they are supposed to record for and random recordings that just remove themselves from the My DVR recorded sections. I can't record a rebroadcast of a show without recording all rebroadcast of that show as there is no way to specify what it is you want as there used to be in the old version. I am not illiterate when it comes to operating DVR's however Comcast assumes that we all are and it must be the box (??). The old guide had its issues, but it was better than the supposed "upgrade" we have now. A hybrid of the two would have been the best choice, however Comcast in its arrogance didn't bother to ask their customers, what they thought about what they had and what needed to be changed. An online survey could have provided you with all that input if you have just taken the time to think.

Much of our/my problems may be due to the fact that we are an old Adelphia system here but, I have no issues with internet or phone, just the television/DVR service which has become a standing joke in my house, since we are TV junkies. After 6 Scientific Atlanta boxes (refurbished of course) in 3 years, what makes you think that another box will make the difference? I don't hear anything good about the "new" Cisco boxes and then I have to go through the whole process of setting up the new box as well as reprogram some 60+ recordings, varying through the year, plus losing whatever I already have recorded.

You guys need to sit down and figure this out! I am paying $150+ a month for something that aggravates me and that's not going to last much longer. By the way I have two DVR's in the house and the same thing happens on both, however not at the same time and not with the same shows. So when you have a real answer for all the problems that we (the public in this area) are dealing with, let me know and I will be happy to sit down and discuss the issues with them or I will have to find a new provider, because I will assume that you don't care.

Contributor
ssn2cvn

Thank you for basically blowing me off. I feel so comforted knowing that I just wasted 20 minutes of my life composing a rather detailed list of the problems I am having and all you can do is tell me about your commitment to excellence, instead of actually having someone tech savvy enough to deal with the problem(s) pick up a phone and call me so that we can try to work through the issues. I am so happy that you feel you are doing the best job possible, but I have called and talked to your technicians and with their limited training and capabilities they have basically sent a refresh signal down the line or had me unplug the box, all to no avail and then want to schedule a service call as "it must be the box". I have had plenty of service calls and, as I stated, 6 different boxes in 3 years... None of which apparently have been documented, as the Office of the President in Philadelphia says that they is no documentation of my complaints... Hmmmm!

I will however take your advice and start documenting the issues I am having, so that I can get a credit for the service, as well as have something tangible to send along with my letter to corporate. Maybe sooner or later I will get someone to listen...

Contributor
ssn2cvn

Sooner or later someone at corporate is going to get this entire chain of E-Mails, I will find a way, and then maybe someone will listen!!

Another brilliant answer to something I already knew. The question is, who at Comcast is aware of this and why has it not been made public along with the rest of the problems?? When is this next release of the "guide" proposed for implementation. How much input has actually been gathered from Comcast customers that use the guide and the DVR's, as to what they would like to see in the new release, rather than some software engineer who never watches TV or uses a DVR, sitting in a cubicle in God knows what country, writing what he thinks the public wants to see. Have you ever heard of surveys or customer questionnaires or compiling a list of the issues that we have on a day to day basis? This is what smart companies do when releasing new product and updates... They find out what the needs of their customers are rather than just providing a partial fix to some of the problems... Ask the people, they will tell you what they want and then maybe you will stop getting E-Mails with this sort of tone. However I just don't think you guys get it!!

Contributor
ssn2cvn

It is nice to hear that you are working on an update with Motorola for the DVR... But if you had bother to research this issue at all you would realize that we in PSL West are stuck with the Scientific Atlanta boxes which are all supposedly refurbished (no new versions) and are pretty much "used" equipment that does not perform up to par, much like getting a used car and inheriting someone else's problems, proven by the fact that I have had 6 boxes in two years and everyone at Comcast seems to think that this is OK.

Well I don’t! If I am going to be given used equipment that performs below par, then I should be charged for used equipment and not new as everyone else is. I ordered a second box to specifically try to cover the gaps left by my main box and I get charged more for the second box than I am the first??? Where is the logic in that? I shouldn't be getting charged at all!!!

Management needs to get their head out of the sand, step up and deal with this head on as I believe that I am being treated as a second class citizen and will not accept that from anyone. I spent 28 years in the US Navy serving my country to make sure that the rights of the American people would not be infringed upon and Comcast seems to think that they can do what ever they want since they pretty much have a monopoly in this area, which lat time I looked was unlawful, so I think maybe I have finally had enough grief from you people and will be looking for alternatives.

And please don't tell me about your exceptional customer service any more, I will give you credit for being polite, but as far as customer service, there has been none, as nothing has changed and I have no confidence that anything will. Time to buy my own TiVo.

Regular Problem Solver

Not sure who you are responding to, but you may find some answers at comcast's blog on this topic....

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

Contributor
ssn2cvn

Not responding to anyone in particular, these are E-Mail responses I have sent to Comcast's so called customer service line where the party line is always the same... with no technical responses whatsoever. I would love to know how to get the whole string of E-Mails over to that blog, so that he can see what I am facing and don't seem to be able to get the right person. 

Regular Contributor

ssn2cvn wrote:

I

Well I don’t! If I am going to be given used equipment that performs below par, then I should be charged for used equipment and not new as everyone else is.

Comcast seems to think that they can do what ever they want since they pretty much have a monopoly in this area,

And please don't tell me about your exceptional customer service any more, I will give you credit for being polite, but as far as customer service, there has been none, as nothing has changed and I have no confidence that anything will. Time to buy my own TiVo.

There are new Cisco/SA boxes available, but it doesn't matter.  The Revo software for the Cisco boxes is defective.  Comcast says 'the fix is on the way', but I don't believe them.  From the way Revo has approached the SA box software, I suspect they either don't understand the hardware or, in fact, the software can never be made to restore the functionality available in in Cisco box.  The Cisco box is more capable than the Motorola box, but probably the software license from Cisco costs more than Revo and Comcast only wants to deal with one software vendor in order to roll out their next generation of products.

Earlier in this thread, I explained that I changed to TIVO.  I am quite happy with the Tivo unit.  The older units with only two tuners come on sale and I figure the subscription costs will be amortized in three years.  I still rent a Cisco box to get access to on-demand and have setup that box to record to a Magnavox DVD/HD recorder.  That way I can have more options with three tuners.  The nice part about Tivo is the fact that when I ask it to record something, it does it - the job a TV recorder is supposed to do - the job that the Revo stunted Comcast box can't reliably do.  Others have gone with Ceton quad tuner, I decided I didn't want to fuss with getting the Windows driver software to work now that Google bought the best software to control the Windows recorder.

Comcast customer service is quite good, but sadly, they aren't in control of much.  I'm sure they express our frustrations to no avail, but they soldier on.

My advice, quit trying to get the Comcast DVR to work.  Get a TIVO or a Ceton box and be done with the frustration.  After a few years the extra costs even out and actually start to save you money - not to mention the toll on your patience. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Harry, you continue to call the guide Revo, when it is Rovi.  http://www.rovicorp.com/

Regular Contributor

JayInAlg wrote:

Harry, you continue to call the guide Revo, when it is Rovi.  http://www.rovicorp.com/

Oh dear, I suppose I recall the Revo recorder people who make multi-channel security recorders.  You are correct it's Rovi.  It's h3ll to get old.  What an insult to Revo who clearly understand hardware. 

Contributor

Oh, no!!!  I read the linked to document.  Does this mean we get yet another Guide update that TRASHs all of the recordings on our DVRs?  I've been through at least two iterations of this -- and a third "outage" -- and it always DELETEs or trashes the recordings.  I feel for the people in FL who will be guinea pigs for this roll-out.

I still keep wondering about the lack of customer support (as claimed by CC) for PIP.  I suspect it is more a function of people don't know their SA and CISCO equipment could even do this.  And sorry to all Moto enslaved folks out there -- we of the 20% (SA/CISCO) sympathize with your pain -- especially that expander ports are truly disabled.  If would have dumped CC long also if my DVR expanders didn't work.

Too bad Verizon FIOS is the same (or again I would have switched).

I hope among the problems fixed are that the DVR menu (a) doesn't not remember were you were; (b) does not allow REVERSE sorting --- tough to get down to anything starting with say "World War II"; (c) keeps interrupting the screen with annoying messages (how about a customer settable "time out" for screen menus - sometimes I want to write down the description of what I have recorded?)

I may be moving to a Ceton InfiTV M-card very soon (4 tuners -- Woo-Hoo!)

Contributor
ojmc

Does anybody else have this problem (among all the rest of the problems): (1) The alphabetic search matrix to search for programs only allows me to enter 5 chracters (2) It only searches for programs on the same day - not later in the week/month - which is pretty much useless

Contributor

Yeah, that's the way it works (or doesn't)!  Kind of like the days of personal computers before MS-DOS!  I absolutely for the life of me cannot figure out why THIS is the on-screen interface and CC is rushing like mad to make programming the DVR via your smartphone the feature they simple *MUST* implement!  Even a dumbed down "Windows Recovery" style interface would be a vast improvement.  Maybe this is a "secutiry feature" -- who is obsolete enough to try and figure out how to "hack" the PG?

I'd laugh if it weren't so sad (and expensive!)

Regular Contributor

Still need P-i-P :smileyangry:

Contributor
ssn2cvn

Spoiler
Had it with the wholw thing !!

So if we are adding complaints and issues to the list: has anyone had their program record for 3 minutes or 12 minutes or 22 minutes (instead of an hour) and then just stop but shows 60 minutes on the screen until it ends... How FRUSTRATING!!! Or maybe just not record at all even though they are scheduled or record and then disappear two days later? There are so many issues with the guide I can't even list them all but the inability to turn off the "warning" messages are the most frustrating. I don't care if the recorded started or the recording has completed, they're full of $hit anyway. I believe I am going to TiVo since your report saying the Cisco box is no better, changed my mind on trying that. Now the question is will my monthly fees go up since I don't use their box or is it still considered bundled since I have no issues with the phone or internet. I wish I heard better things about ATT as I would switch all together, but the bandwidth issues I have heard about there are just as bad and affect everything not just TV. Prices on TiVo's anyone?? Is it the better of the two discussed?

Regular Contributor

ssn2cvn wrote:
Spoiler
Had it with the wholw thing !!

Now the question is will my monthly fees go up since I don't use their box or is it still considered bundled since I have no issues with the phone or internet. I wish I heard better things about ATT as I would switch all together, but the bandwidth issues I have heard about there are just as bad and affect everything not just TV. Prices on TiVo's anyone?? Is it the better of the two discussed?

If you go with a device that requires a Multistream CableCARD (i.e., a Tivo or Ceton's InfiniTV 4), you can get a Customer Owned Equipment credit from Comcast (on a monthly basis).  I have the Ceton and get a little more than $5 credit each month.  It took quite a few phone calls and transfers until I found someone at Comcast who knew what I was talking about, as it was a fairly new policy.  But the policy is posted somewhere on Comcast's site, and I was able to read it to them verbatim.  Definitely worth the effort.

Lastly, because I still have a Comcast DVR, I do get charged the Additional Outlet fee for the CableCARD (since I'm getting the same service, i.e., HD + Sports & Entertainment on both outlets), so the credit is deducted from that line item.

Start here and you should find all the info you need to arm yourself to battle customer service:

http://www.comcast.com/equipmentpolicy/

HTH.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

ssn2cvn wrote:
Spoiler
Had it with the whole thing !!

I believe I am going to TiVo since your report saying the Cisco box is no better, changed my mind on trying that. Now the question is will my monthly fees go up since I don't use their box or is it still considered bundled since I have no issues with the phone or internet.  <snip>  Prices on TiVo's anyone?? Is it the better of the two discussed?

I had the same frustration with SA/Cisco software downgrade so switched to TIVO.  I got the two tuner unit that Tivo often has on special since they now offer a four tuner version (ala Ceton card).  I bought a fully paid-up subscription ($500) for the Tivo so eventually will have costs (Comcast vs Tivo) amortized after 3 yrs when there will be no further costs.  The Cable card subscription fee is much less than the HD box fee.  I kept a non-DVR Comcast HD box so I can get on-demand channels.  I run a Magnavox HD/DVD recorder for that box and select on-air/Comcast/Tivo to record as needed.  Some Tivo content can't be shared on my network so I use the Magnavox to save that video, as needed.  That gives me three tuners which covers nearly all the shows I care about.

The Ceton card solution is equally valid but a bit more of an integration challenge since the software for a PC DVR can vary.  I suspect the PC DVR is a better way in that you can get more features.  The Tivo software is adequate and certainly is preferable for the singular purpose of cable DVR.  Since the Comcast SA/Cisco downgrade doesn't correctly perform the DVR task reliably any other solution is preferable. 

The really sad thing about the SA/Cisco DVR issue is that I suspect the software may NEVER work correctly; it may not be possible given the hardware constraints of the SA box.  I should never say never but my confidence eroded once I discovered that the same issues have been around a long time in every rollout to SA customers.  Things may not improve until the next generation of hardware to be installed in all of Comcast's service area.  That's a huge investment for Comcast. 

Regular Contributor

harryhorse wrote:

The Ceton card solution is equally valid but a bit more of an integration challenge since the software for a PC DVR can vary.  I suspect the PC DVR is a better way in that you can get more features.  The Tivo software is adequate and certainly is preferable for the singular purpose of cable DVR.  Since the Comcast SA/Cisco downgrade doesn't correctly perform the DVR task reliably any other solution is preferable. 

Just to clarify a point about the Ceton InfiniTV 4.  You must use a Windows 7 PC, as Ceton only works with the Win7 version of Microsoft's Windows Media Center.  The biggest problem I had with it is that MS/Zap2it (they team up for the guide listings) did not have an accurate list of Comcast channels for my zip code.  I sent them a list of what they were missing, and after about a week all were added.  Totally worth the effort on my part, as the WMC guide is head and shoulders above what Comcast now offers.  And I have a 2 TB hard drive as the main storage unit, with an older 750 GB drive also housing recordings.

WMC can be used as more than a DVR, and there are lots of fun hacks available for it, though I playback other media via different apps.

HTH.

Contributor
ssn2cvn

Thanks to all for the info. I found a low end TiVo for a reasonable price ($99) and included the WiFi adapter ($59), so we shall see. Don't want to mess around with too much technology change until I am sure I am going to be happy with the changes... However I don't see how it could be much worse. My wife is keeping her DVR until we are sure we have a solution, then we may get a second TiVo as it says that programs can be transferred from one DVR to another via WiFi, that will be interesting to see how long it takes.

What a shame that a huge conglomerate like Comcast doesn't give a $hit about their customers needs. Maybe they should buy an airline and they could continue with the same fine customer service.

Will check in once in a while and let you know how it all turns out.

Regular Contributor

ssn2cvn wrote:

Thanks to all for the info. I found a low end TiVo for a reasonable price ($99) and included the WiFi adapter ($59), so we shall see.

When I bought the Tivo it was on sale at a lower price.  I expect that varies depending on their circumstances <VBG>.  I decided that in my house the wireless is troublesome so I used a Cable-Ethernet connection from Netgear instead.  It works well and transfers, via Tivo Desktop, unprotected programs to my PC.  Comcast came out and installed the Cablecard with no issues; others suggest that the card can be self-installed.  I ran the downgraded SA DVR for a few weeks in parallel as I transferred all I wanted to save to DVD.  If you go with the Tivo guide subscription it will cost a few more $/month than Comcast unless you opt to buy a 'lifetime' subscription. 

I did decide to put the Tivo and Ethernet connection on a UPS.  The Tivo seems to take an eternity to reboot maybe because I use an external WD Mybook HD.  OTOH, I have not had to put up with the 'unplug, reboot' mantra from Comcast.

New Visitor
warriorraven

When will the new on-screen program guide be available in the Winchester, VA area?

Regular Contributor

warriorraven wrote:

When will the new on-screen program guide be available in the Winchester, VA area?

You should probably ask your question here:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

It's a blog run by " Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation" (i.e., the guide).

Cheers.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Warriorraven...be very careful what you wish for! I  live in Woodbridge, Va and could not wait for  my SA box to be software-converted so that the guide would looke like Motorola.The guide itsefl is ok BUT the recording options, the loss of PIP and the chopping off of programs while recording make the whole ujpgrade  package terrible.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Has anyone ever gotten feedback from posting on the Comcast operated blog? I have posted several times and never heard or saw any updates/answers so whats the point?

Contributor
Moore4music

Re: New Scientific Atlanta & The new wonderful Xfinity Apps, LOL!

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide [ New ] 01-15-2012 05:39 AM I couldn't wait until we got the upgrade, so that I could manage my DVR from my iPad & iPhone. I thought well maybe this will make the inferior (so called upgrade,) worth it. But my old Scientific Atlanta DVR box isn't compatible, (to keep from losing programs recorded in my old DVR that I haven't watched yet) , I took my 1 regular box back & got a second DVR ,A CISCO RNG 200 or is it RGN 200? Anyway, I was promised that it was compatible with the XFINITY TV app) Yeah Right! Guess what? It seems as though It's not compatible either. I got rid of xfinity voice, & bought a MAGIC JACK so that I could make sense " money wise " about adding a 2nd DVR. But all I have now are 2 DVR 's that do not work with the App that I so looked forward to getting. I was under an old package called DIGITAL pics 1000, for 5 years, and I am just willing to bet you when they change my package to the new digital preferred or what ever it's called , the price will go up. The lady said it was the same price as what I used to have. I told her I didn't want HD, because I can't see the $10.00 difference. She said it cost the same anyway with the DVR. ALL I WANTED WAS To SWITCH OUT A REGULAR BOX TO A DVR THAT WORKS WITH MY IPad! , I bet I get a big surprise very soon. I came home and hooked up my new box , and my service had been turned off. Think they might have been ticked off about the MAGIC JACK? Hours later it was back on , and for two days I have been trying to get my iPad to recognize my DVR BOX, With NO Luck. One person says 1 thing & 1 says something else. When I first got cable in this home 5 years ago, after the PROMO price of $99.00 went up, my bill was at 150.00 a month for TV/voice/Internet. IT USED TO BE OK, BUT THINGS STARTED GOING UP & UP, AND FOR WHAT? BETTER SERVICE, MORE CHANNELS ? If there are more channels , I don't want them! Why can't we pay for the ones we watch? And get rid of the ones we don't. I have a basic digital packge & slow internet, and I don't have but 1 premium channel ,HBO, that I was bribed into trying for 3 months for free, because I was experiencing some trouble with my service. Now my $ 210.00 a month bill has increased $10. I told them I no longer wanted HBO but it seems like HBO to GO is the only App that I can get on my iPAD, so I might as well keep it. I was paying 7.95 for a regular box and 9.95 for a DVR. Plus 8.00 for the DVR service . Now I bet I am going to go thru the roof when I get the new bill. Use to ... you could record 2 or 3 programs on 1 DVR , and watch something different. But now you have to watch 1 , if you record 2, and it won't let you watch something else. You have to actually watch one of the programs that you are recording. I hate the change over to the new Xfinity. I never thought I would say this but I even miss Time Warner! I am having to use 2 inferior DVR's to do the work that 1 old DVR use to do. Can we say MONOPOLY. We might as well face it. They have got us by the you know whats. I can't get UVERSE in my area, and by the way they lied to my mom about what her bill would be if she switched from comcast to them, I am thinking that they might not be the lesser of the 2 evils. The price keeps on rising and the quality is falling. Hey! and why don't they give their OLD loyal customers some of those great promo prices instead of the newbies getting all the breaks. I'll tell you why, because THEY'VE GOT YOU NOW and they don't care, you're hooked! I am sorry to vent everyone, but I know some of you, if not all, can relate. but if you only knew all the problems that I have been thru with Comcast , you wouldn't blame me a bit. I have a large file cabinet FULL over the years.You can just imagine what I think comcastic is synonymous with. But I will say that customer service (how nice the representative are now) has GREATLY improved. But a lot of good that does, if the equipment and software is substandard. I feel really sorry for a lot of the people that work there, cause have you read all the complaints? I wish them luck! But as you can probably tell , I am at the end of my comcastic rope!!! Let's all hope that the technical issues get fixed as successfully as the improved additudes of the service representatives.
Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide 02-07-2012 + DVD Recorder Issues

If/when you get it all working you won't like what you see anyway as far as recording options. I am in Northern Virginia and we 'went thru the change' months ago and I am still very unhappy.

Good luck

Regular Contributor
Anon161446

My Xfinity App does not work with my DVR box, either.  But I hesitate to get a new box after reading all the horror stories.  My box at leasts records when I want it to, and records the entire program. 

I could write a book about my Comcast problems, too. 

Contributor
WahooZballs

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide 02-07-2012 + DVD Recorder Issues

ok - all is well with the toshiba dr430 - can record live, dvr recorded programs and ondemand. i now have two of the SA 8300HD - C dvr boxes working with Toshiba dvd recorders. proof that the signal has changed - copy protection must be in the picture.

Contributor
WahooZballs

yes, this is why the Comcast tech person on the phone recomended that i personally take the bad dvr box in to be swapped out - this way, i could be assured of getting the SA unit. if all the tech who was supposed to come to my home on 02-15-2012 was the Cisco RNG200 - that would have been all he could give me - had one of those before - heavily copy protected = could not copy to dvd recorder - anything - using the Toshiba nor the sont dvd recorder. in my area - a former Adelphia Cable area - all we can get for a dvr  is the SA 8300 or the Cisco RNG200 - very sad.......

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Where I live in Northern Virginia we have  had  our SA 'cloned' to sort of match Motorola for almost a year  and have MyDVR  and the newer guide but still no caller id on TV.

New Visitor
warriorraven

The guide is nice but we are also having issues with recording.  Programs are being cut short.  If the box is turned off, programs do not record.  No onscreen caller id and no PIP.  There are several amenities promised with the new guide that we don't seem to have.  What sense does it make to advertise you can recorde two programs (implying you can be watching a third) when the fact is you have to watch one of the shows you are recording.  Why bother?  Since the switch our Vizio TV is all of a sudden muting in the midst of watching a program.  Strange things are occurring since the switch. 

I am also not real happy about the recent notification that our prices are about to increase.  The information received does not list my current package.  I have no idea what my bill is going to be.  This is crazy.  If it weren't for the fact I like having a bundled package I would change companies. Then again, who to go to? I don't want to go back to Verizon as their telephone/DSL service was a nightmare.  I don't want more wires than necessary running down the side of my house.  It seems everytime you switch more wires are run and the old ones are never pulled.  I would go back to satellite except there are no bundle packages to include telephone and internet and there is no guarantee the channels you have today will be available in a year. What a monopoly. 

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Sorry for the confusion.

The myDVR functionality is not available with the guide that you have now if you have a Cisco or Scientific Atlanta branded cable box.

The Scientific Atlanta and Cisco cable branded boxes are scheduled to get additional features later this year.

The software version will change slightly but the guide will look very similar to what you already have on those cable boxes.

The next guide release will include the myDVR capabilities, Caller ID to the TV and other features. This guide is expected to be widely available starting over the summer. The team is also working to deliver that product sooner.

Some of the features that are expected to be included in the summer release are listed below:

- myDVR Manager: From the internet and the Xfinity TV app, customers can: set recordings, view/modify scheduled recordings, view completed recordings, modify series priority lists, etc.
http://xfinity.comcast.net/mydvr/how-to/

- Caller ID to the TV See who's calling, right from your TV and PC! Comcast Universal Caller ID takes the guesswork out of incoming calls. http://www.comcast.net/callerid

- HSN Shop-by-Remote: A convenient, new way to make HSN purchases simply by using your remote. http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV_Guide_Shop-By-​Remote_0110.pdf

- Request for Info: Know more, save more! Introducing an easy way to request valuable coupons and info from advertisers simply by using your remote.
http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%20Guide%20Requ​est%20For%20Information.pdf

- Ready Remind and Ready Record: Now you can conveniently set program reminders or recordings directly from certain TV show and movie advertisements.
http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%20Guide%20Read​y%20Remind%20Record.pdf

- Xfinity TV Application: The ability to use your iPad to change channels and set/modify DVR recordings.
http://www.xfinity.com/help/internet/mobile-tv-app​/

On-Screen Guide 2.0 http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 is a new experience designed for our newest (Cisco RNG) cable boxes and is currently available in selected areas (currently Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee and parts of Louisiana) with AnyRoom DVR service.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Hello warriorraven - can you let me know via a PM (Private Message) what programs and channels are getting cut off with your DVR and if these are HD or SD channels? Please include your service address in the PM.

If you just got this new guide last week (parts of VA, WV and NC) we did just recently (this week) push a software update in that area that should have resolved that particular issue altogether.

The Scientific-Atlanta branded boxes are scheduled to get additional features later this year. The software version will change slightly but the guide will look very similar to what you already have on those cable boxes.

The next guide release will include the myDVR capabilities, Caller ID to the TV and other features. This guide is expected to be widely available starting over the summer. The team is also working to deliver that product sooner.

You should still be able to record two programs at the same time and watch a recorded program from your DVR, that is the same capability as with your previous guide.

You don't have to leave the DVR on to record. It will turn on and record if it is turned off. You do need to leave the DVR on if there is a recording in progress. The previous on-screen guide software did allow you to turn the DVR box off (it actually went into standby) when you were recording a program, the new guide software does not. This is certainly a slight change in behavior and in line with what the majority of our customers are used to and have in their home today.

With the new on-screen guide, when you attempt to turn off the cable box while a DVR recording is in progress, an on-screen message appears that says the following: "A recording is in progress. Turning off your cable box will stop all recordings in progress."

There are two options presented on-screen underneath this message.

1. Continue recording, leave cable box on

2. Stop recording, turn cable box off.

You can choose one of those options. If no selection is chosen the on-screen message will time out and the DVR will continue to record. Leaving the DVR on allows for your cable box to easily get software and firmware updates as well as updated TV listings. This should not significantly impact the lifespan of the cable box or the hard drive. A lot of our customers leave the DVR on and turn the TV off.

You mentioned some other “strange things”... Can you post them here or include that information in a PM and I would be happy to look into these for you. Thanks!

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

ComcastTeds-

About having shows cut off before they are finished: It happens by about a minute or a little more. Many shows run right up to the hour/half hour or have 'tags' at the end and both are important to see . Bottom line is that the entire show should record.  This is an old issue that happened before the guide change and continues afterward. It is posted  many places in  these forums and elsewhere on the web. It  happens on network and non network shows on many channels. Have not seen it happen on premium channels.

I have read rationale that it is caused when the time changes and the provider and/or box are not synched with whatever  big clock in the sky is used for the  timing of TV shows. I cannot validate that this is true and no one at Comcast has ever offered to research. I depend on my box clock to set house clocks when the time changes and when the power goes off its a great place  to get what I perceive to be the correct time.

In our case the 'cut off' issue is only with non HD channels as we do not have an HD TV although our  SA box is HD. When I happen to remember that a show will end early I change the recording time to add a minute or two but its hard to keep track without a third spreadsheet. I have already shared with  you about two spreadsheets I have to use 1)to keep straight what shows I can't record same time/same day/ every week like I used to be able to do and 2) what we need to watch ON Demand because we cannot record two and watch a live one anymore since we can no longer access 'over the air'.

Since it just happened with a recording I can tell you that Fashion Police on 'E' cuts off early each and every time we record it. I will try to keep my eye on others and document to share here.

Do you know what parts of VIrginia have had software updates to fix this? I am on the Dale City, Va system and we converted to the new guide last year.

I never saw you comment on my reply to  your suggestion to use 'set a manual program' as a work around for not being able to record same time/same day/every week anymore.    Sure BUT there is no way to know what program is being recorded manually and there could be many of them listed on My DVR recordings. It would be trial and error.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

[ Edited ]

In response to ssn2cvn...

I also find the 'warnings'  annoying and even if I needed to see them - they stay there waaaaaay too long. I guess you know you can at least get rid of them on case by case basis by pressing 'exit' on the remote. I have found that 'exit' helps get rid of many annoyances on the screen.

------------

Posted by ssn2cvn....So if we are adding complaints and issues to the list: has anyone had their program record for 3 minutes or 12 minutes or 22 minutes (instead of an hour) and then just stop but shows 60 minutes on the screen until it ends... How FRUSTRATING!!! Or maybe just not record at all even though they are scheduled or record and then disappear two days later? There are so many issues with the guide I can't even list them all but the inability to turn off the "warning" messages are the most frustrating. I don't care if the recorded started or the recording has completed, they're full of $hit anyway. I believe I am going to TiVo since your report saying the Cisco box is no better, changed my mind on trying that. Now the question is will my monthly fees go up since I don't use their box or is it still considered bundled since I have no issues with the phone or internet. I wish I heard better things about ATT as I would switch all together, but the bandwidth issues I have heard about there are just as bad and affect everything not just TV. Prices on TiVo's anyone?? Is it the better of the two discussed?I also find the 'warnings'  annoying and even if I needed to see them - they stay there waaaaaay too long. I guess you know you can at least get rid of them on case by case basis by pressing 'exit' on the remote. I have found that 'exit' helps get rid of many annoyances on the screen.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

ComcastTeds wrote:

The previous on-screen guide software did allow you to turn the DVR box off (it actually went into standby) when you were recording a program, the new guide software does not. This is certainly a slight change in behavior and in line with what the majority of our customers are used to and have in their home today.
Hi ComcastTeds,
While this seems like a trivial change, it is one of great annoyance to me.  I normally have my SA box turn the TV off and on as well as the cable box using the switched outlet in the back.  Now if something is recording, I need to switch the remote mode to TV si I can turn just the TV off.  When I turn it back on I need to remember to put it back into cable mode to operate the box.  If the system is off when a recording starts, the TV switches on (no sound, thankfully) for the duration of the recording. 
What do other people do?  Leave the box on all the time and only turn the TV on and off?  If so, do you do it with the Comcast remote by switching modes (TV vs. Cable) each time or use the TV's remote?  Using the TV's remote is inconvenient as you need both of them at hand all the time.
New Visitor
Darells

Is there a way to dump a DVR recording to VCR tape or DVD without having to "play" the program, there-by tieing up your whole DVR?  There was a "dump to tape" option on the old guide version and watch or record another program at the same time.  This is a big inconvenience!  As is not having PIP.  With PIP and the copy to vcr option you could actually check the transfer in PIP while watching a program.

The new Guide is JUNK.  You need better programmers / software engineers.  Who ever heard of disabling hardware with software unless it was considered a billable feature.  I want my PIP back.

And I also want the DVR to turn off when recording is complete.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

Hello TerriB - The shows cutting off the recordings by about a minute is an unfortunate and common theme and is mostly a factor of the ad-supported (non-premium) networks going past their own scheduled program time that they have communicated; either unplanned (as in a live event) or on purpose (to keep you tuned to that specific channel). I realize that this can be frustrating and have experienced this myself and as you have said it is not specific to the new guide. We do provide on-going feedback to the broadcast and cable networks about this practice and the impact on their n their viewers and our DVR customers.

All of our areas that use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco cable boxes have received the software update that I referenced which was designed to solve a much larger problem identified with DVR recordings cutting off early by much longer sections. That has been resolved.

Understood on the manual recordings suggestion; in the list of recorded shows the program name is not displayed for manual DVR recordings.

We have added many new shows to our On Demand library, available at no additional charge. It sounds as though you have discovered that alternative. Watching some shows On Demand might also help with resolving any DVR recording conflicts as well. 

You can still (as with the previous guide) record two things at the same time while watching a previously recorded show from your DVR.  

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

TerriB wrote:

In response to ssn2cvn...

I also find the 'warnings'  annoying and even if I needed to see them - they stay there waaaaaay too long. I guess you know you can at least get rid of them on case by case basis by pressing 'exit' on the remote. I have found that 'exit' helps get rid of many annoyances on the screen.

Yes, pressing the EXIT button on the silver Comcast remote control will dismiss any on-screen guide overlay.  

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

TeeJayMpls wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

The previous on-screen guide software did allow you to turn the DVR box off (it actually went into standby) when you were recording a program, the new guide software does not. This is certainly a slight change in behavior and in line with what the majority of our customers are used to and have in their home today.
Hi ComcastTeds,
While this seems like a trivial change, it is one of great annoyance to me.  I normally have my SA box turn the TV off and on as well as the cable box using the switched outlet in the back.  Now if something is recording, I need to switch the remote mode to TV si I can turn just the TV off.  When I turn it back on I need to remember to put it back into cable mode to operate the box.  If the system is off when a recording starts, the TV switches on (no sound, thankfully) for the duration of the recording. 
What do other people do?  Leave the box on all the time and only turn the TV on and off?  If so, do you do it with the Comcast remote by switching modes (TV vs. Cable) each time or use the TV's remote?  Using the TV's remote is inconvenient as you need both of them at hand all the time.

On the silver Comcast silver remote control, I just push the TV button (located at the top of the remote) and then Power and leave the DVR on. To turn the TV on, I do the same thing. Most of our customers do that.

Do you have your TV set programmed to the silver Comcast remote control?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Hello Darells - Apologies in advance for the long reply.

Unfortunately, the one-touch "Copy to VCR" functionality is a feature that is not supported in the new guide. I realize that this may have been a core feature for you. You can still copy programs recorded on your DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder using the audio and video outputs on the set-top box. Connect the audio/video cables from the set-top box to the audio and video inputs of the VCR or DVD recorder. Then to copy a DVR recording, just push RECORD on the VCR or DVD recorder while the DVR recording is playing. The copy occurs in real time which means a one hour program will take one hour to transfer over. The TV set and set-top box cannot be used while the transfer is taking place so you may want to copy programs overnight.

As with any business, difficult decisions are often made. The Copy To VCR function was only available in our SA/Cisco DVRs and impacted a small percentage of our SA customers and an even smaller percentage of our overall customers; most of which have never had this feature through their cable box. We did not make the decision to not retain this feature lightly. The ability to keep this feature and incorporate it into this initial guide would have significantly delayed this project and subsequent downstream projects even more - like a much newer guide that we have already started to make available in six states http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

Picture-in-Picture (PIP) functionality was a feature that was available with the previous guide on our Scientific Atlanta (SA) and Cisco branded DVRs. I completely understand that this was a valuable core feature for you and some of our DVR customers. I was disappointed that we were not able to retain PIP in this guide. Unfortunately, this unique feature could not be supported by the new guide.  Some televisions have a PIP feature built in. The new guide does not impact your television set's PIP functionality (if it has one). This link may help:

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/documents/pip_tv.pdf

You would need to also use the TV remote control to use and control the PIP display.

PIP was only available in our Scientific Atlanta (SA) and Cisco branded DVRs. The PIP feature impacted a small percentage of our SA-Cisco customers and an even smaller percentage of our overall customers; most of which have never had the PIP feature through their cable box.

We also conducted extensive research around the importance of the PIP feature in the current guide and as a potential future feature in upcoming guides.

PIP is not currently on our feature roadmap.

In our on-going customer research, PIP continues to drop in ranking of importance of features that the majority of our current customers (and potential customers) use or want. PIP was only ever available with DVRs in our SA areas (a very small percentage). I certainly understand that there is a passionate customer base for PIP. We also realize that there are some customers who are not happy about this decision.

A new feature that is available with the new guide is the Pause, Swap, Pause functionality, which allows a customer to pause a current program that they are watching (i.e. football game on one channel), swap tuners (using the Swap button at the bottom of the Comcast silver remote control) to another channel and watch the programming on that channel for five minutes, pause that channel and then swap back to the original channel (football game), which is still paused. It is not meant to be a replacement for PIP, but a low tech full-screen alternative that may suffice in some cases.

The variance I see between power on mode and sleep mode on a Cisco HD set top is roughly 0.3 W

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/products/prod_lists/set_top_boxes_prod_list.pdf

At 9 cents per kwh that would equate to about 2 cents a month to leave the cable box on 24 hours a day. I understand the concern.  Better DVR power management is something that is available in our On-Screen Guide 2.0.  http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

There are many more details on the new on-screen guide that you have now available here: http://www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

ComcastTeds wrote:

On the silver Comcast silver remote control, I just push the TV button (located at the top of the remote) and then Power and leave the DVR on. To turn the TV on, I do the same thing. Most of our customers do that.

Do you have your TV set programmed to the silver Comcast remote control?

Yes, my TV set is programmed to the silver Comcast remote and what you describe is exactly what I am doing when a show is recording. I switch the silver remote to TV to turn the power off.

When not recording, I leave the silver remote in Cable mode and turn the cable box off.  Why?  Because I have to be in that mode anyhow to get the cable box functionally of the menus, info buttons, arrow keys, etc. once I power back up.  In TV mode the control mostly performs TV functions, as I would expect.  (The channel button does continue to change channels on the box.)

Are you saying there is a way to leave it in the TV mode and still control the cable box?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

The Cisco RNG 200N DVR that I have defaults to cable mode every time using those steps. 

I will try some other cable boxes but that has been my repeatable experience. What is the model number of the DVR that you have?