Official Employee
ComcastSteve
Accepted Solution

New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide

Many of you will have questions about the new guide. This is the link where you will find most of the answers.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

Steve Teow

Contributor
SophieSAM

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide

Steve, that link is great & all -  but instead of Comcast's pseudo concern about how you "understand that we're frustrated," how about someone at Comast actually explaining the decision to switch users to a format with LESS functionality than before??? Can someone please explain why??

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

SophieSAM wrote:

Steve, that link is great & all -  but instead of Comcast's pseudo concern about how you "understand that we're frustrated," how about someone at Comast actually explaining the decision to switch users to a format with LESS functionality than before??? Can someone please explain why??

The I-Guide has been used for a long time on the Motorola equipped systems that cover over 80% of Comcast's systems.  Converting the remaining 20% of SA area's to I-Guide is what was needed to add the advanced interactive features already available on the Motorola systems like MyDVR, Caller ID on TV & PC, and upcoming features.  It is to Comcast's advantage to have all systems on one platform for developing new features.

These features will be rolled out to the SA area's, but no date has been set.  The conversion to I-Guide is the first step.

Contributor
SophieSAM

Will some of the old functionality be restored with any of the further updates that you mentioned? Do you understand how frustrating this is for those of us who lost it, particularly as there has been no real communication from Comcast about it, except for how great Xfinity is - or will be. How about a side by side comparison of our old functionality vs new??? Right now, I'm just not seeing the benefit. ALL of my current issued started following the "upgrade."

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I have had this guid for over 10 years.  This is about putting everyone on the same platform for ease of support.  Comcast must know that by doing this the 20% of people that have the scientific atlanta boxes are going to lose some functionality.  As far as I know the features you are complaining about are probably, record by time, PIP and a few other things.  I do not believe those are coming back.   Remember xfinity is just a name change and really means nothing.  That's my two cents, I am just a customer like you.  If you would like to ask some questions about how you might use the new guide to maybe get some kind of work around for what you lost I would be happy to try to assist.  If its features I mention above I can't help

New Visitor

rog286713 -- It is not just the Scientific Atlanta boxes --- Mine is a CISCO RNG200 box and I'm having the same loss of countless features and inoperable software that others are reporting. My "Mercedes" is now acting like a "Yugo"  I believe it is possible that the impact of the bogus software and the number of customers being affected is larger than initial estimates.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The Cisco boxes are Scientific Atlanta, it's the same unit except for newer model numbers and a new name.

Both Cisco and SA boxes run on Scientific Atlanta equipped systems, which is about 20% of Comcast systems.  SA and Cisco are used interchangeably.

Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta around 2006.

New Visitor
Surfzap63

At least I know that others are also upset with the new Xfinity Guide.

I miss being able to scroll up/down through the channels with the up/down arrows.  What's the point of rolling out a new systems that is less intuitive, and has less functionality?  Why not thrill the other 80% of Comcast users with Motorola units by sending them Cisco/SA boxes.  That would be improved service!

This is bringing our service down to the lowest common denominator, not rolling out a new, improved service.

Does Comcast monitor this site?  Do they have a real interest in what their customers think?  Will they take positive steps to prevent a mass migration to other service providers?

I guess we'll have to stay tuned to find out what happens.

Sean

Regular Contributor

"rog286713" said "I have had this guid for over 10 years.  This is about putting everyone on the same platform for ease of support.".

The fact that the capabilities of the SA/Cisco boxes had to be downgraded in order to match the Motorola boxes is clear.  SARA (SA software) was designed by engineers to exploit the capabilities of the SA boxes (IMHO); further, those engineers had a background in human interface design.  Apparently the Rovi IGuide software is much less capable of controlling the SA boxes and hands-down, the Rovi team has little understanding of the human interface.  I could enumerate the inconsistances in button actions, lack of roll-around, etc,;

Like you, I am but a customer.  But I have begun the search for a better supplier for my TV watching needs.  I am investigating the dish approach along with an internet-only approach.

Regular Contributor
ron_gee

I'm a recent convert from Dish, and I have to say that the overall user interface for controlling the Guide and DVR are pretty sad, much less functional than what I had with Dish.

When recordings show up with no name, and just the date and time of the recording, something is wrong.

In a networked environment, having to go to the "main" unit to record or do much of anything else but play recordings, something is wrong.

From Comcast's standpoint, I suppose as long as they're not losing customers because of it, this won't be a high priority item. But, I would bet as more and more non-Comcast customers see how bad the interface is, they will lose customers because people won't convert to them. Had I looked closer, I would have had second thoughts regardless of the good things that came with my change to Comcast.

I'm going to wait a bit to see if Comcast has anything to say about their plans to get this system up to a competitive position. If they fail to do anything, I'll probably dump the Comcast DVR and move to a system like SageTV and use Comcast simply to capture signal. I wish there was a way to use other software with this equipment because there are many other choices out there.

Ron

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

If you are in an SA/cisco box area, they just updated the guide, your still not going to get the functionality you got with dish on the dvr though.  I guess when you have better coming to his is not the best, but like me if its all that you know you don't miss anything.  New updates are rolling out all the time.

Regular Contributor
ron_gee

I'm actually outside of Chicago.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I've got some SageTV I can experiment with, and if it looks like they'll be better than the Comcast interface for some time to come, I may switch over to that.

Ron

New Visitor
Chris_Collins

So....

I've been hearing that this new guide is going to be coming to my area (Forsyth County, GA) for a lllllooonnnnggg time now.  Is there a date for its arrival?

Also, any chance that functionality to the front A/V ports will be restored at some point after the transition?  Thanks.

Visitor
outbackerdave

My regular digital boxes all have the update, my DVR still waiting and it is a Scientific Atlanta. Go figure.

Visitor
RKnep

The new guide is horrible.  Reading the comments here, I see that I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I've lost functionality.  It is not better.  Being a software developer, this is definately a downgrade.  I will be calling Comcast later, and requesting it be changed back or my business is going elsewhere.  I suggest you all do the same.  I pay way too much money to lose features. 

Regular Contributor
liliwings

Hey Steve

Thanks for your explination of why comcast gave us all a new, much less user friendly, On-Screen Program Guide.  I am a 60 year old woman who was using the old scientific American setup with enjoyment and ease. Even in the innitial of learning how to use my DVR was quite simple. Now I have no idea what I am going to do.  Now I am stuck with this new setup.  I have tried to go to your link and figure out things.  But I cannot figure out much of the instructions I need there.  I know comcast doesnt care.  But I did understand how to use the old setup. Perhaps its just ment for younger people. Usually they are much better at understanding all of this. 

I am hoping someone here can tell me if there is any way for me to play back in slow mode. I used to enjoy doing this sometimes when I couldnt see the subtitles in foreign films as well as i want. I would periodically slow it down.  So I could read it better. 

I hope you can consider that many people are upset for good reason. An easy to use product was replaced with something that is cumbersome and very user unfriendly.  I understand your point that the corporation wanted everyone on the same system.

Perhaps I should be grateful that I got to keep my old setup for a couple, or few years after comcast took over my old Cable Company.  ps, sometimes my screen is now black when I go to a new channel. thanks again.

Regular Contributor
liliwings

Hey Ron

I made calls last night to get the quotes on switching.  I will keep comcast for internet.  And it will cost me more money to break up the bundle. Sadly comcast is such a huge corporation, that thousands of people cancelling their cable will not even make a difference to them.  they wanted everyone on the same system.  I wish my money mattered. It honestly doesnt.  Its much to big a corporation to care

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

[ Edited ]

liliwings wrote:

I am hoping someone here can tell me if there is any way for me to play back in slow mode. I used to enjoy doing this sometimes when I couldnt see the subtitles in foreign films as well as i want. I would periodically slow it down.  So I could read it better. 

Hah!  I just discovered how to do this by accident. 
1. Press the Pause key: !!
2. Press the Fast Forward key: >>
It's not very intuitive, but it works both forward and backward. (>> and <<)
TJ
Oops!  This may not help you out for reading subtitles as the progress display on the bottom of the screen doesn't go away for either Pause or SloMo.  Chances are the subtitles will be covered up.:smileysad:

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

After all the hoopla about the new guide I too was disappointed to find it cumbersome to use and missing features as well. Here are some additional things I haven't seen mentioned above:

1. For regular (non-series) recordings you can't set an expiration time.

I liked how the old system let you set an expiration date (1 day, 2 days, 7 days, and 14 days).  Now I have to prune old recordings manually.  To compound that, the erase process seems more complicated.

2. The switched outlet behaves in a rather odd way. 

I use it to turn my TV off when I switch the cable box off.  Under this new system, that works OK if there isn't a program recording.  When you try to switch it off with a recording in progress the system announces that if you do so you will cancel your recording.

If the system is already off when a recording starts it switches the TV on for the duration of the recording.  (Thankfully the sound is muted.) 

Is there any hope these issues will be addressed?

TJ

New Visitor
BillF3805

You folks are nuts, I have been a Comcast customer for years and although I have not always been a happy customer, I am very pleased that they updated this very outdated system. Having had the Motorola system then moving into a neighborhood with the old SA / Cisco system, I was very disatisfied. This new system does not look like the lastest version of the Iguide but it trumps the previous version. Give it a chance.
Regular Contributor

BillF3805 wrote:
You folks are nuts, I have been a Comcast customer for years and although I have not always been a happy customer, I am very pleased that they updated this very outdated system. Having had the Motorola system then moving into a neighborhood with the old SA / Cisco system, I was very disatisfied. This new system does not look like the lastest version of the Iguide but it trumps the previous version. Give it a chance.

The SA/Cisco SARA software was better at managing the DVR.  The Rovi Iguide is better as managing the guide data (excluding the silly ad bar).  What I'm stunned by is the number of Motorola users that had been satisfied with the supplied software.  I suppose if that's all they had, they didn't know what they were missing.  But the SA universe grew up expecting more.

One would think that Comcast would combine the best of the two approaches but that's not what is now on offer.  As the largest cable operator, I'm disappointed that Comcast couldn't get the best.

Regular Contributor
ron_gee

BillF,

Coming from Dish, I have to say that the Rovi software that Comcast uses is barely competitive. Dish not only gives you the program data, but also the episode number, and doesn't encumber the screen with ads.  Comcast obviously has the episode data because it shows up when you use the OnDemand feature.

The DVR software is just plain sad. They sell it as "whole house DVR", but the only station with full functionality is the  "main". Satellite stations can only watch recordings and no more. It adds to the confusion by allowing you set a recording at the satellites, but that turns out to assume that you have some other sort of recording device attached to that station. Some recordings show up in the list with a date and time instead of the program title.

Dish handled all of this just fine, but only at 2 stations, which was the limit of their DVR capability. Comcast sales pitches the DVR, but doesn't inform you that the satellite stations are, in effect, crippled. As I've said, some features of the Comcast service offering are very good, but the Guide, and especially the DVR, leave something to be desired.

I've yet to see anything from Comcast responding to all this, and that's too bad.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

harryhorse wrote:

The SA/Cisco SARA software was better at managing the DVR.  The Rovi Iguide is better as managing the guide data (excluding the silly ad bar).

That's been my experience so far on my first 7 days. The Rovi On Demand works better as well, and I like the especially the progress bar.

Now if I could find a better way to manage the switched outlet dilemma I mentioned above.  I like the convenience of the TV begin turned on/off with the cable box, but don't like it being turned on automatically every time a program is recorded.  

OK, I can reprogram the remote to turn both the TV and cable box on and off, but will that fully resolve the problem?  What happens if a program is recording when I switch it on?  Will it turn the TV on while it is turning the cable box off?  Or will it leave the box and and just display the warning?

How do you folks manage this?

TJ

Regular Contributor
ron_gee

Hi TJ,

At our house, we've gotten in the habit of just leaving the comcast box turned on. If your TV is like ours, it mostly senses "change in state" from the box. So, if the TV is off and the box turns on, the TV will sense signal and turn itself on. If the box is already on and just changes channels to record something, the TV doesn't sense that as a change and just stays as is. I haven't tried turning off just the box to see the TV will follow suit, tho. I also haven't checked to see if the TV has a setting that would cause it to stay off unless explicitly powered up, ignoring the signal from the box.

Ron

New Visitor
BillF3805

I disagree, the Motorola system is much better at DVR and will be even better once upgrades are made this summer. I can't wait to contol my dvr system online or on my iPhone which is already available to 80% of Comcast customers. Setting priorities is just one of the features the new system adds. I agree that satelite systems and Verizon have better systems then Comcast but that's for another discussion.
New Visitor
BillF3805

Regular Contributor
ron_gee

The Motorola system is better than what? How it used to be? That's possible, but my point was that they aren't really competitive with state of the art systems.  Do you what upgrades are planned? Is there a link someplace that details that, because I'd really like to see that. Being able to program from my cell phone is kinda neat, I guess, but it seems kind of silly that if I'm sitting at one of the remote boxes, I have to use my cell phone to program a recording when it would seem to make a bit more sense to just hit the "Record" button on the remote. Then again, it probably needs to be a smart phone with Internet access, which means that now I'm paying an extra charge just to do that when, once again, I should be able to just hit "record" on the remote.

As far as setting priorities goes, I've been doing that on Dish for 6 years. It's not like that's a new and dramatic feature.

I freely admit that this is partially my own fault. I should have asked, but it didn't occur to me that a market leader would have a product with such woeful functionality.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

being able to hit record on your phone is a new feature, and yes you need a smartphone with internet access for that.  Yes your phone can also fuction as a remote for the tv with the app, again you need a smartphone for that also.  You can still hit record on the remote.  This "upgrade" is not an upgrade, its comcast getting everyone on the same software platform for ease of support, did some people lose some functionality yes, but there are new things coming and everyone needed to be equal.  Do a search for whats coming on comcast or go to engadget.com and do the same and you will see a new quad tuner dvr with a new and improved guide.  I myself have the functionality on my phone dont ever use it, I have my series shows set to record and thats all I need, I guess its nice to know you can do it though.   Watcing hbo and showtime and on demand on the phone is really cool though, that I enjoy.

Regular Contributor
ron_gee

Thanks. I'll pay a visit to engadget.com to see what's coming.

Ron

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

[ Edited ]
ron_gee wrote:

Hi TJ,

At our house, we've gotten in the habit of just leaving the comcast box turned on. If your TV is like ours, it mostly senses "change in state" from the box.

Thanks, Ron.  My TV is older and lacks such sensing, but when I buy a new one I will look for that feature. The idea of keeping the cable box may work anyway.

Thanks,

TJ

New Visitor
TargetA

The new on screen guide is utter garbage.  I'm not sure if it's better if you have a DVR, but as a non-DVR user the menu is worthless.  I've taken to just looking online and entering in the channel I want rather then fumble through the onscreen guide.

If Comcast can't come up with something better soon I think I will be switching to a Dish.

Regular Problem Solver

Chris_Collins wrote:

So....

I've been hearing that this new guide is going to be coming to my area (Forsyth County, GA) for a lllllooonnnnggg time now.  Is there a date for its arrival?

I think your area is scheduled to get the new guide this week according to Comcast Voices. 

Regular Problem Solver

outbackerdave wrote:

My regular digital boxes all have the update, my DVR still waiting and it is a Scientific Atlanta. Go figure.

Some areas are rolling out different box types at different times. Some all in one week, some over 30 days. 

Regular Problem Solver

TeeJayMpls wrote:

liliwings wrote:

Oops!  This may not help you out for reading subtitles as the progress display on the bottom of the screen doesn't go away for either Pause or SloMo.  Chances are the subtitles will be covered up.:smileysad:

Just push the Exit button on the remote anytime to dismiss any on-screen guide overlay.

Regular Problem Solver

TeeJayMpls wrote:

After all the hoopla about the new guide I too was disappointed to find it cumbersome to use and missing features as well. Here are some additional things I haven't seen mentioned above:

I liked how the old system let you set an expiration date (1 day, 2 days, 7 days, and 14 days).  Now I have to prune old recordings manually.   

Yes you can. Below "borrowed" from Comcast Voices.

You can set up a series recording for only new episodes and change the Save Until settings to Save Until I Delete and all should work as it did before.

Additional links for DVR Help for the guide that you currently have can be found below: DVR Brochure (covers the basics) http://por-img.cimcontent.net/ui/pdf/meetyourguide/DVR_Brochure.pdf

DVR User Guide (16 pages with much more detail)

http://por-img.cimcontent.net/ui/pdf/meetyourguide/S25_DVR_0111.pdf

Below are some DVR highlights.

Record a single program

1. Press the Guide button on your remote control to view the TV Listings.

2. Highlight the program you want to record.

3. Press the Record button on your remote.

A red dot appears next to the program title in the grid so you know the program is scheduled to record.

Record a series program

1. Press the Guide button on your remote to view the TV Listings.

2. Highlight the TV series you want to record and press the Record button on your remote twice and select the multiple red dot symbol. Or press and select the Record icon from the Program Information screen. Select the Set up a series recording icon (the multiple red dot) to specify your recording options. 3. Select the Record series with these settings icon (the wrench) to schedule the recording, or select the View all settings icon to access advanced setup features.

The Recording Options shows Save and Save Until options The Save options are All episodes and and Only 1 episode up to Only 7 episodes. Also you can save until space is needed or unit I delete.  

Regular Contributor
ron_gee

Thanks, Ted. That's all good information.

The confusion starts to set in when you make what I would think are reasonable assumptions about functionality.  For instance, at the remote stations, you can press the "record" button just as you describe, and think that your show is recording. The problem is, recording functionality only works at the "main" station. When you read further, you find out that the "record" button at the remote stations assumes that you have some sort of other recording device in use there, which at least to me is counter-intuitive.

I've said before that I've got some really great features with my Comcast service offering, but the DVR is decidely weak compared to other offerings. I'm hoping that they will fix that in due course, but if not, I'll eventually remove the Comcast DVR and, while keeping the base receivers, use something like SageTV to gain more functionality. I'm franking stunned that little companies like Sage are able to offer much better functionality than Comcast, a huge corporation with comparatively unlimited resources.

Regular Problem Solver

ron_gee wrote:

Thanks, Ted. That's all good information.

The confusion starts to set in when you make what I would think are reasonable assumptions about functionality.  For instance, at the remote stations, you can press the "record" button just as you describe, and think that your show is recording. The problem is, recording functionality only works at the "main" station. When you read further, you find out that the "record" button at the remote stations assumes that you have some sort of other recording device in use there, which at least to me is counter-intuitive.

I've said before that I've got some really great features with my Comcast service offering, but the DVR is decidely weak compared to other offerings. I'm hoping that they will fix that in due course, but if not, I'll eventually remove the Comcast DVR and, while keeping the base receivers, use something like SageTV to gain more functionality. I'm franking stunned that little companies like Sage are able to offer much better functionality than Comcast, a huge corporation with comparatively unlimited resources.

I am confused. Are you talking about Anyroom DVR? I was responding to someone about their SA cable box and DVR functionality.

Regular Contributor
ron_gee

Hi Ted,

Sorry, yes I was referring to Anyroom DVR. This thread seems to cross back and forth a bit between Guide functionality and DVR funcationality. Sorry for the confusion.

Ron

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

tedtv wrote:
Just push the Exit button on the remote anytime to dismiss any on-screen guide overlay.

And it will continue in SloMo or Pause?  I will have to try that out.  I'm still getting used to using the Exit and Last keys in navigating menus as they were not needed in the old SA system.

Thanks,

TJ

Regular Problem Solver

TeeJayMpls wrote:

tedtv wrote:

And it will continue in SloMo or Pause?  I will have to try that out.  I'm still getting used to using the Exit and Last keys in navigating menus as they were not needed in the old SA system.

Thanks,

TJ

Yes, pushing Exit once will only dismiss the overlay piece of it and not stop your pause or slow-motion.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

tedtv wrote:

TeeJayMpls wrote:

I liked how the old system let you set an expiration date (1 day, 2 days, 7 days, and 14 days).  Now I have to prune old recordings manually.   

Yes you can. Below "borrowed" from Comcast Voices.

You can set up a series recording for only new episodes and change the Save Until settings to Save Until I Delete and all should work as it did before.

[snip] 

Thanks, but I was talking about one-time recordings, and not series recordings.  Is there a way to have one-time recordings automatically erased after some number of days?

TJ

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

TeeJayMpls wrote:

Thanks, but I was talking about one-time recordings, and not series recordings.  Is there a way to have one-time recordings automatically erased after some number of days?

TJ

I don't think so. Looking at my guide, the only settings I see for a single DVR recording are "Save until I delete" or "Save Until Space is Needed" .

"Save until space is needed" appears to be the default setting and may accomplish what you are trying to do .

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

[ Edited ]

Thanks, tedtv.   I will just be more vigilant about erasing these programs when I no longer want them.  Perhaps that will be easier to do when the on-line programming becomes available.  

BTW, I tried the SloMo followed by Exit and that worked great!

TJ

New Visitor
Malibutj

The new Xfinity programming for your SA customers that was just rolled out in my area today SUCKS. It has LESS programability than the old system. The DVR programming is less functional, there is no PIP and the TV Guide is useless! It's a shame you are going downhill versus moving forward.
One doesn't even get local customer service anymore in my area.
I'm fed up with Comcast.
Time to investigate DirectTV or the Dish Network.
Our household is very dissatisfied with Comcast now!
Contributor

Just in case this turns out to be worse than I think... (so far it sucks...) which is better Dish or Direct TV?

FWIW: I have been a loyal Adelphia/Comcast customer for years. Everything has worked pretty well up until this week.I do not need unnecessary frustration and stress when I come home and try to relax. I pay over 200 bucks a month for TV and internet... now I have to see an ad on this small and ugly program guide?? Does anyone know how to change the day on the guide? Anyway... in case things don't improve, what is the better alternative?

Julien

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

there should be a small button that says +day, use that to go forward in the guide by day.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

[ Edited ]

On the remote I have it's the B and C buttons for previous and next day.

And yes, those ads are a waste of valuable screen space.

TJ

Contributor

On the remote I have it's the B and C buttons for previous and next day.

Thanks, I think I can learn to live with the guide.. maybe once  Iget it all figured out it will be ok. I'll give it a go.

JB

Regular Contributor
ron_gee

Hi Julien,

I just came from Dish. I had a package from ATT that included phone, Internet, and Dish. This predates ATT's Uverse product.   Just speaking of Dish, we were looking for something to expand the reach of the DVR to more TVs. Dish is limited to 2 TVs on the DVR with the equipment that they made available to us. You can get more than one DVR, but they don't network together.

Xfinity gives us availability to watch recordings on 4 TVs, but actual control of the DVR is limited to one.  The DVR management software I would rank as poor compared to Dish at this point. It's usable, but that's about it, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, I can manage the DVR from my iPad or my PC over the Internet, but why should I have to deal with that when I've got a remote in my hand that should be able to do that?

I don't have experience with DirectTV, but from what I can see, it's very similar to Dish in capabilities. Dish is supposed to be adding a bunch of features over the next year or so.

Comcast has some nice features. They're phone is fine, the Internet is much better than what I had with ATT.  Xfinity works; I haven't had any dropouts during storms that do occur with Dish or DirecTV. Xfinity does pixilate at times and the audio occasionally gets out of whack with the video, but basically it's a good service equivalent to the others. But, if people were comparing Comcast to others just based on DVR functionality, I don't think anyone would choose it vs Dish or DirecTV.

Contributor

Thanks Ron_Gee

I am going to live with it for a while until I understand it. Perhaps once I learn to use the new improved? menu and DVR settings it wont be as bad as it seems. I've learned that I get mad at first when something pushes me way out of my comfort zone but if I jump to quickly sometimes I find I have made a mistake... so I am going to stay with it at least a month and see how I adjust to the changes... (I really hate changes in something I like, understand, and that already works)... but there is nothing I can do but adjust to it or leave. I am convinced that Comcast does not care one ittle bit about individual users. They are much too big to care about people, another business might get their attention but me??? not a chance.

BTW, I just figured out that you need to edit all scheduled recordings to only record new episodes... (I hope this works) and maybe the new systemwill stop cutting off the last 30seconds of shows... that would go a long way toward making up for the unwanted changes. 

Thanks for the info, I may need it!

Julien