Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide

BTW, I just figured out that you need to edit all scheduled recordings to only record new episodes... (I hope this works) and maybe the new systemwill stop cutting off the last 30seconds of shows... that would go a long way toward making up for the unwanted changes.

Yes, that was annoying.  I saw an option under the new system to extend the record time by a minute or two.

TJ

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Not to burst anyones bubble but if the guide data does not say if the show is new or a repeat the dvr will record it as a default. 

Contributor

Can you still set it to record only on a certain day and time?

Thanks!

Julien

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Not being in front of my tv, I believe you can go to set a recording and manual recording and set a date and time.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

[ Edited ]

Julien,

I assume you are talking about setting up a series recording to record only the selected show on just that day and time.  Is that correct?   If so, I haven't found a way to do that but would use that option if it were available.

TJ

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

that functionality is not available, you can only do it for the day.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

Thanks, Rog.

TJ

Contributor

Before the new and improved "My DVR" and guide I could select a program to record every week and select the day and time exclusively ... and I could set it to record an extra fw minutes (which I always needed to do if I wanted to see the last 20 seconds of the show. Now I am not sure if I can select the day and time.. if I cannot then I have a big problem because some shows like "Swamp People" on the History Channel have a regular time on Thursday for new episodes but the hour prior to the new episode they play last weeks show.. then they may play them both again at 11:00 or 12:00 at night... then they may on some random afternoon play 5 or 6 episodes. So, I need to be able to select a day and a time for a program to record and for it to record ONLY on that day and at that time... It really sucks to have to leave the DVR powered on all the time because I can no longer use the macro power button and I have to turn down or turn off my sound system.

I really thought that only government improvementsmade things less efficient, harder to use, more time consuming and wasteful... I guess big companies who say they care about the customer can do it too... and do it well. Comcast seems to be mindful of only one thing... what is easiest for Comcast, customer be darned (can't say the other word, aren;t we adults here?)... customer can like it or lump it.. Iam certain that Comcast ran the probabilities of how many customers that they would actualy lose by doing this poor upgrade. I am also certain that Dish and DTV are reading these forums closer than Comcast and taking names. I got a letter from DTV today, I have not opened it yet but Iwill. When my house was built it was wired for DSL so changing over will be no big deal. My neighbor works IT for Home Depot and uses AT&T DSL. He says it is instant and he never has any problems.. I am sure that if I cannot get this DVR thing sorted out that DTV will give me a great deal. I already have my cellular with them.... but I have been a Comcast customer for years, the CShas been good, they have always gotten right on any problem and they have only stood me up once... so I owe it to them to gove it a chance but if it wont do what I want it to do then I would be a fool to keep paying them over 200 bucks a month if I can get what I want and get it cheaper... ok, rany over... sorry but I think I am being more than fair. I am the customer and I want what I want.

I realize new changes can be frustrating and can cause knee jerk anger and decisions made in haste... not going to do it. I recently upgraded my Cakewalk Sonar DAW software to X1 and it is different... but, IMO, after giingit a chance I like it. I used a Minelab Explorer SE detector and bought a Minelab E-TRAC when it came out.. it looks and acts similar but is a LOT different. Many people refused to learn to use it and sold the newer model quickly... I am glad I did not because it is a monster.

New can be frustrating but many times it is because the user (me) has not taken the time to learn to use the new features. I intend to give it my best shot. Then if it will not meet my demands... I will be a former customer. That is how the marketplace works. I love capitalism!!! (OK, now rant over.. I was just foolin' before when I said it was over, laff)

Julien

Regular Problem Solver

TeeJayMpls wrote:

Julien,

I assume you are talking about setting up a series recording to record only the selected show on just that day and time.  Is that correct?   If so, I haven't found a way to do that but would use that option if it were available.

TJ

Yes, you can do this via a manual recording. It's not pretty but it works.

below "borrowed" from the Comcast Voices blog....

We do have something very similar to the "record this time, this day, this channel" for DVRs now. Besides setting a series recording, one option is to set a manual DVR recording: To set up a recurring manual recording - Press the My DVR button on your Comcast remote control, select Set a Recording, then Set a Manual recording, enter in your start and end times and start date. Choose the channel and then view recording settings - the settings can be modified to record once, every day, once a week, or weekdays. To clarify on the DVR series recording settings - there are three options: Only new episodes, New and repeats, All with duplicates. New and repeats would record new and repeat episodes but is designed to only record each episode one time. All with duplicates would not be discretionary and would record the episode numerous times.

New Visitor
bpfeffer

BillF3805 wrote:
You folks are nuts, I have been a Comcast customer for years and although I have not always been a happy customer, I am very pleased that they updated this very outdated system. Having had the Motorola system then moving into a neighborhood with the old SA / Cisco system, I was very disatisfied. This new system does not look like the lastest version of the Iguide but it trumps the previous version. Give it a chance.

Really, we are nuts because we are mad at getting an old version of software that on the whole is WORSE than what we already had? Even you admit that this is an older version of their guide and given the continuous delays with this rollout most of us aren't holding our breaths for the 'eventual' rollout of the 'current' software.  The 'promised' improvements seem to be in rollout step 4, and they are already way behind schedule on just step 1.

My favorite missing feature was the ability to set everything to record as a series.  It is mainly sporting/racing series that are effected but we found at least two different normal shows that it refused to series record.  All of these items were series recordings on the 'old' software.  And I am sorry, but if it fails at even the BASIC reason for having a DVR (setting shows to record) then it just fails as a product.

I was one of the people looking foward to the new guide since I thought the old SARA software was garbage.  I was shocked and dissapointed to find that on par the new software was even worse.  I really tried to get used to the new software, but finally bought a Ceton tuner and returned all of my set top boxes.  Now I have all of the features (and more) that were promised to be coming eventually.

One other thing:  on the blog, Ted keeps repeating two 'facts' that at least in my area are completely false:

1)  Most customers did not lose any of their existing recording schedules.

2)  They notified eveyone about the new guide and mailed instructions on how to use.

On 1 - We lost most of our scheduled recording on ALL of our DVR's.  Every friend and family member with Comcast I have spoken to experianced the same.

On 2 - Everyone I have spoken to recieved numerous mailings about the loss of the analog channels.  No one recevied any notice or instructions for the new guide.  I only new it was coming 'eventually' because I follow this stuff.  We all just woke up to a new guide that was not intutive to use and had no instructions.

I realize my sample set is small, but it covers at least 4 different 'areas' of this city that all got the rollouts at different times.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

tedtv wrote: "Yes, you can do this via a manual recording. It's not pretty but it works."

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for those programs with multiple airings where the "new" filtering doesn't work.

TJ

Contributor
PorterIII

Only one question needs to be answered.  How do we get access to the old guide and features?  This so-called upgrade is really a downgrade.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

unfortunately you can't.  For some people the "upgrade" has less functionality, which is everyone in this thread the upgrade was about migrating everyone to same platform. 

Contributor
PorterIII

I guess when you're referring to some people having less functionality, you are referring to those of us with a dvr. However, it's not just less functionality, it's a whole lot less.  They should have released a beta, but of course they operate as a monoply and they don't have to sweat their stuff too much. Frankly, I'm considering changing my service, because of it.  I don't care for the ads they run on the new guide either, which does not enhance the usage either.

Porter

+++

P.S. Anybody want to start a petition?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I am referring to the people who got moved to the same guide that everyone else has.  Just so you know, over 80% of comcast subscribers have had the guide you have now for years including the ads.  I too was upset a few years ago with the ads and called to complain.  Now I don't even see them anymore.  Just my observation.

Contributor
PorterIII

Ok, I guess I'm going to have to spell it out for you.  P-in-P no longer works. The ability to swap channels, and rewind (either channel), also no longer works. If you are rewinding, or fast forwarding and hit the guide button it will stop. You cannot go back and view previous shows formerly displayed on the guide.  As you scroll through the guide it also highlights the ads, I guess they are hoping you will be dumb enough to select it as you scroll down.  Defending the ads is pathetic, I'm guessing you work for Comcast.  Just knock off defending the poor functionality, and do something about it.

Porter

+++ 

New Visitor

That progress display at the bottom of the screen will go away if you hit "exit", and the slo-mo will continue:smileyhappy:

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Defending the ads is pathetic, I'm guessing you work for Comcast.  Just knock off defending the poor functionality, and do something about it.

porterIII

The only Comcast employee that has posted anywhere in this thread was ComcastSteve(username in red).

Everyone else is a customer, some of us volunteer to help others fix problems. Some problems like new software can't be fixed. The overall plan for the guide updates for those of us, myself included, with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco boxes is to provide the enhanced features like myDVR and Caller ID on the tv. Motorola users have those already. We are the smaller percentage of users with our boxes so we get similar software to what Motorola people have had since most of them were original Comcast service areas. The rest of us were probably Time Warner, Adelphia, or Insight; I was in a Time Warner area.

And for the record I am not 100 percent happy with the new guide either. But if I intend to use Comcast I have no other choice.

Contributor
PorterIII

"Some problems like new software can't be fixed."

That's where you're wrong, software can be fixed, totally revamped, or completely discarded. I vote option three, completely discard it.  BTW I was an Adelphia customer.

Contributor

Can someone tell me if my DVR will record programs for if it is turned off or if the recording will just stop if you turn it off while recording. I have not been able to figure this out.

Thanks!

Julien

PS... the guide is still really cheesy! No one I know likes it. The main problem is only 4 channels on the screen at one time and having the stupid ad select as if it is also a channel. I wonder if the "last" button will bring you back to the guide if you accidentally select the ad.. Comcast has become too big to care about individual customers. They are like the power company or the government... they say they care but they only care about the bottome line... and it is really obvious... they talk a good game, say they care but their actions show otherwise.

ALSO... I was speaking with a long time customer of mine yesterday who was about to stroke out because her husband had been talked into switching their land phone line over to AT&T Uverse... she siad it is horrible, workd half the time, drops calls, etc and they act as if they do not understand when she says that she wants to get out. I'm sure she will figure out how to get rid of them. She also said that she called Comcast and they offered her 30 dollars off her bill for 6 months... might be worth the try.

Julien

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you cannot turn off your dvr in the middle of a recording, if you do the recording will stop.  You can leave your dvr off and it will turn on to record a show and then turn back off when its over .

New Visitor
ury2ok2000

Just wanted to say I too hate the guide. Its all new to me though as this is my first DVR box from comcast.

Was really dissappointed in the ads on the guide. I have seen a work around of using the page up and down button but really you shouldnt have to do this. Because of this I will be looking into building my own htpc. I'm not interesting in paying a lease for equipment that stuffs ads in my face. Simply displaying an add while annoying is acceptable, having it harm the user interface is not (to me anyway).

New Visitor
GeorgiaBlues

:smileysad:  This conversion to the new format has been a disaster for me.  Almost every program I recorded under the old system - some I'd saved for two years because of their importance to me - were changed by the conversion to "save until space is needed".  I had no idea at the time.

I called Comcast a few days after the conversion when I found that my oldest, most cherished, programs were gone!  I thought the conversion dropped my oldest programs due to space.  What I've now discovered is that each day that has gone by as I continue to record new programs - my oldest programs were being deleted!  I have lost just about every program that was important to me.  These programs are why I pay for two HD-DVR boxes.  I lost season finales from these spring, concerts from two years ago, old season finales that will never be rebroadcast.

So I've just now realized that ALL of my programs saved prior to the conversion were changed to "save until space is needed" - but it's too late.  I've also figured out that "save until space is needed" is the new default.  So if you just push the red RECORD button as you're watching a show, or record it as a single episode, you won't even be given the option to change to "save until I delete"!  You'll eventually lose that show too ...

And I have not been able to find a global preference to reset my default to "save until I delete" to protect shows I record from this point.  I DID have this ability on the old system.

This stinks - and I PAY for this :-(((((((

New Visitor
GeorgiaBlues

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide - ADELPHIA customer

oh - and btw - we were Adelphia customers too.  Just about every problem I've ever had a technician out for - I was told it was because we're different, we were Adelphia.  I wonder if that has anything to do with all the problems from the conversion??:smileysad:

New Visitor
GeorgiaBlues

:smileysad:  I was reminded of one other atrocious thing in the conversion as i read through others' experiences here - all of my setups to record programs were totally wiped out during the conversion.  This appears to be a universal problem.  Gee, did you warn us about THAT??

I used to be a programmer - that is unacceptable in a conversion.  At least I could go in and set everything back up.  But there's no retrieving all the old programs that I had saved that have been wiped out.

Contributor
PorterIII

I wonder how we might escalate our complaints?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

If they had warned you about it what would you have done? Unless you had things that were really old on your dvr you can watch new episodes on demand and on the network websites, I know this is not a solution but a work around.  Comcast does a very poor job communicating to their techs and their customers.  AS for escalation, comcast is aware that there are problems with the upgrade for the scientific atlanta cisco customers and is working on it.

Contributor

How can I stp getting an email everytime someone responds to this thread? I have tried changing settings but am still getting emails...

It seems like XXfinity is determined to aggrivate people.

Julien

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

jbow

Did you check the topic options at the top? If it says UNSUBSCRIBE there then click on that to change it so it says SUBSCRIBE. Wasn't sure if you checked that spot yet.

Contributor

Thanks... unsubscribed!!

JB

Contributor
PorterIII

[ Edited ]

Rog, do you work for Comcast? This upgrade is really a downgrade, and there is no excuse for it.  Bring back full functionality or scrap the new downgrade.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

only the people who's names appear in bold red work for comcast.  this is a customer to customer support forum.  YOu have to reallize that comcast bought many smaller companies in your area and are now changing the guide to what everyone else has to bring everyone to the same standard.  Are you losing some functionality yes but you are a  minority in the comcast world.  less than 20 % of the millions of subscribers that comcast has are affected.  You have two choices live with it or find other service.  Just so you know, the majority of us the other 80% never had the features you had. Those were in the box you had before comcast took you over. Does that make it better no but its a reason.. What exactly are you missing, the PIP you can emulate, the sleep timer is gone yes but set your tv to go off, the box uses less than .038w an hour, you have to get use to change or just give up.  Anything you change to will have differences also.

Contributor

The program guide changed last night and I am not very happy with the functionality I lost.

I had the old system setup to turn my TV on to a specific channel every morning so I could get my routine finished and back up to the beginning of the morning news if necessary, now that is gone.

I used picture in picture all the time to switch between ball games and sporting events when commercials came on, now that is gone and when they changed over the signal so my digital TVs couldn't tune in without a set top box, the split screen and PIP features built into my TV became useless unless I pay for an additional set top box.

Adding functionality in the future is fine if it applies but since the phone service is nearly $40 per month more than I currently pay, it isn't likely I'll switch anytime soon.

Time to look around for a new service provider I guess.

Contributor
voyager9

The firmware update was pushed to my SA8300HDC last night.  I haven't had a chance to look at it too much but I have to agree that it's a step back from the previous SARA guide in many respects.  

The biggest being that the new guide brings with it few additional features but is much more obnoxious.    Adding advertisements to the guide irks me to no end.  I get ads on TV, in my browser, and now on my program guide?  seriously?  I understand from the voices blog that the ads are for Comcast services and not 3rd party folks.. but it's not the content of the ads but the fact that they are there and VERY intrusive that's the issue.  Obnoxious

Not being able to shut the box off while its recording is very annoying.  "Standby" isn't exactly an extreme feature.. almost all commercial electronics do it.. It was removed with no thought as to the impact to the user.  Suggesting they "Keep the box on" is a cop out.    I'm sure most people use the "All off' of the Comcast remote, or Universal remotes with the same capability.  Now they have to take special steps to make sure the box stays on..   And from what I read it drastically affects those that use the AC plug for their TV.. Sloppy.

I was hoping the updated guide would bring my SA area to modern times.. instead I'm still left with something that looks and acts like it's from the 90's.   I'm sure I'll be able to make due.. I have little choice.. but it's utterly disappointing. 

New Visitor
New Visitor
th6

Really... This is an upgrade?  Lost movies I had saved... Now when I scroll through what is on tv every 5th item I scroll to is the "ad" for on demand at the bottom of the screen? Yeah that makes it easier.

Called Customer service which was no help at all.

I can't express my displeasure enough.

Maybe time for Direct TV.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

use the page up and down buttons, much easier.  And its not an upgrade if you have a scientific atlanta or cisco box even though they are calling it that.  I feel your pain as a customer

New Visitor
New Visitor
th6

I'm not sure I want my kids seeing that scary picture of Lady Gaga currently being displayed on the "ad" on the guide either.

Please Comcast do something about this atrocity!

New Visitor
btrabucco

The new software for the box just flat out stinks.  I say that as a long time customer and as a professional software developer.

It's buggy.  As I type this the cable box is flashing the screen blank every 10 seconds or so.  Sometimes the HDMI signal out goes out and changing the channel to a non HD channel then switching back is the only fix.  Random reboots happen often.  

The guide is fugly looking like something out of the 80's and displays less information.  The DVR control is more difficult.  That advertisement at the bottom of the guide slows navigation down.  I hear the drive spinning much more often - even when off.  I can't turn off the box during a record.  Stuff pops up and stays popped up in front of shows I am watching.  No PinP.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  

I can honestly say there is not a single feature that works better.  I hate it.  I despise it.  I want my old stuff back.

Please I beg you - fire the people that wrote this piece of poo.

Visitor

I've only had this new guide two days, and pretty much anything negative that people have said here, is exactly how I feel.  Main guide screen is WAY too cluttered with the Xfinity name, TV Guide logo or whatever, and the horrible ad at the bottom.  It's just an awful downgrade.  I've seen nothing positive about this change, other than the option to record a minute longer on a show.. and that wouldn't even be necessary if half my recordings didn't get cut off in the last half minute or whenever. 

Very, very unhappy with this.

New Visitor
Schleaf

I can't agree with Slab-O enough.  It stinks and I don't like it.  Why not give people an option of doing this?  I didn't even know it was coming.  My biggest complaint is navigating with the DVR, it is tedious at best and I hate it.  Looks like FIOS here I come!!!!

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

[ Edited ]

slab0meat wrote: "Main guide screen is WAY too cluttered with the Xfinity name, TV Guide logo or whatever, and the horrible ad at the bottom."

This morning I opened the guide and the ugly ad at the bottom wasn't there!  Has Comcast been listening to us, or is this just a temporary glitch and it will return?   Anyone else have this happen?

TJ

Contributor

Okay, many of the same complaints are posted and the only comment from Comcast is the opening of the thread directing you to a link to answer questions.

This is representative of the typical lack of customer service/concern on the part of Comcast.  It is obvious that their position is; if you don't like it, go to another provider.  They know that very few will choose this option so they get away with service downgrades and still get to charge the same price.

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

Bear in mind that despite misleading appearances, this is primarily a user (customer) to user forum, with very limited interaction from actual Comcast employees, whose names appear in red.  Note that an employee hasn't responded to this thread in a very long time.  Also, note that no one is gathering the various different threads into one, as they used to do when Comcast was seeking feedback on a particular problem.  It's questionable that any employees are even reading it.  (Might be wrong, of course)

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

teejay

It might be temporary. I have noticed at times the ads are not on the guide and then they come back.

Don't know if it is a glitch or they are just updating the ad information. I am also on the Minneapolis system.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

[ Edited ]

commanguy,

I was afraid that might be the case that it is just temporary.  In the settings I had changed the guide to the single line display and it looked like I got two more lines without the ads.  

Have you noticed any other odd behavior?  Sometimes when I hit pause the program pauses for a few seconds then resumes on its own even though the display still shows it is paused.   Other times when I hit pause the program stays paused but will unexpectedly jump forward a frame while paused.  It isn't in slow mo and generally only does this once. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

teejay

Haven't noticed that one but I don't do DVR service, read too many issues even before the new guide so felt I would save my money.

But I have noticed that when I hit Guide twice and get the lineup by channel display up and you scan up or down channels that way sometimes it will go into a fast forward/reverse scan and just go through all the channels. The first time it wouldn't stop. Hitting the Last button got out of the guide like normal. The second time it happened I just hit one of the arrow buttons in the center.

I have noticed that when I turn off my box the sound stays on for bit but the picture disappears immediately.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

commanguy,

Yeah, I too have noticed the picture going off and the sound lingering for a while.

I've also used that hitting the guide twice to list a single channel.  Did it by accident first thinking that hitting the guide a second time would cancel the guide the way the old SA system did.  With this new system you have to use the Exit and Last keys where the SA system didn't use either as the functions just toggled on and off.  That takes some getting used to.

Getting our of an On Demand show is trickier too as even Exit does nothing--you have to hit the Stop button.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Still playing with the new guide and menus to see what does what. I discovered the channel only guide the same way you did. I knew about hitting LAST to get out of the guide but was still used to the old way of hitting GUIDE twice. To be honest I kind of like the one channel guide if I want to just check out that one channel.

New things to learn. Will probably find more useful stuff and some non-useful stuff I can ignore. It would be nice to have the Local Weather available in that little Quick Menu but I don't see a way to set that up.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the upgrades that will be coming in the future. Comcast still needs to get us up to speed for anyRoom DVR and On Screen Caller ID plus others. I imagine a lot won't change but who knows.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

You were right about the missing advertisement in the guide being temporary.  It's back in all its screen hogging ugliness!

I too am finding features in the guide.  On useful one I came across is the little clock symbol at the bottom when you press the Info button.  If you select that it list other show times for the program you are viewing (if it's repeated). Handy if you came in on the middle and want to see the whole show.

I too miss the old one-line program info/navigation but am getting used to the three line version they offer.  It helps if you go to the settings and change the row height to single.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

I found that one also. Also useful if programs conflict and you can look ahead without having to check out days in advance on the guide.

I do miss one feature with the old guide, using the channel up/down button to scan channels the old guide just scanned through your subscribed channels. Didn't need to worry about Favorites if you had one of the lower tiers of service. Of course now mutliple favorites lists can be set up and named for whatever you want in that list.

I never used Picture in Picture but if they brought back the timer function then the guide would be perfect:smileyhappy:

And no ads