Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide

I have the Scientific Atlanta 8300.  With TV selected many of the buttons on the remote are assigned to the TV functions including the four arrow and enter/select keys while others, like the channel select, continue to operate the cable box.

Contributor
WahooZballs

this so-called improvement/update was supposed

to fix OnDemand access problems - unable to connect - message says "press ok button......" had this problem yesterday and today ! this getting pitiful, Comcast !

Regular Contributor
Anon161446

I appreciate the update.  But I do not understand why where there is an "improvement", then something that people want is taken away.  That isn't an improvement.  It's corporate cost cutting.  This does not happen with other forms of tecnnology.  Call it what it is - cost cutting. Taking away PIP is nothing but profit added for Comcast because some "study" says that most people don't use it.  How many people knew about it in the first place? Esp since only 20% of us ever had it. 

I will hang on to my "old" box because I'm afraid of what might happen if I get a "newer technology" box.  My DVR works great.  I do get programs cutting off after a minute or two but I do notice that happens when the program has gone past the alloted time.  Now I manually override the time by 5 minutes or so to prevent that. 

I see all of these Xfinity "we have the best customer service" commercials and I'm wondering who they are trying to fool.  I do think Comcast employees really work hard and try hard.  But it's clear that the front line employees do not get the support they need to fix problems timely. 

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

We have never manually turned our cable box off in 15 years. Before the so called guide update there was a period of time when Comcast would turn off the box automatically sometime in the middle of the night but we got any recordings we  programmed while it was off. SInce the 'upgrade' the box never goes off automatically and we just leave it alone. We turn off the TV using the TV button at the top of the remote when we go to bed. Then I use it to turn the TV back on and then press the Cable button for business as usual.  We never use our TV remote unless we need to change the picture qualities,  clock, surround sound or something like that. 

TeeJayMpls wrote:
What do other people do?  Leave the box on all the time and only turn the TV on and off?  If so, do you do it with the Comcast remote by switching modes (TV vs. Cable) each time or use the TV's remote?  Using the TV's remote is inconvenient as you need both of them at hand all the time.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

ComcastTeds wrote:

Hello TerriB - The shows cutting off the recordings by about a minute is an unfortunate and common theme and is mostly a factor of the ad-supported (non-premium) networks going past their own scheduled program time that they have communicated; either unplanned (as in a live event) or on purpose (to keep you tuned to that specific channel). I realize that this can be frustrating and have experienced this myself and as you have said it is not specific to the new guide. We do provide on-going feedback to the broadcast and cable networks about this practice and the impact on their n their viewers and our DVR customers.

All of our areas that use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco cable boxes have received the software update that I referenced which was designed to solve a much larger problem identified with DVR recordings cutting off early by much longer sections. That has been resolved.

Understood on the manual recordings suggestion; in the list of recorded shows the program name is not displayed for manual DVR recordings.

We have added many new shows to our On Demand library, available at no additional charge. It sounds as though you have discovered that alternative. Watching some shows On Demand might also help with resolving any DVR recording conflicts as well. 

You can still (as with the previous guide) record two things at the same time while watching a previously recorded show from your DVR.  

Thanks for the great reply! Fortunately we never had the issue of the recordings cutting off really early but glad its solved. That would have driven me crazy.

On Demand is getting more and more shows but it puzzles me why some popular network shows like Criminal Minds (CBS) are not On Demand...very strange. I just wish there was an easier way to figure out which shows are which on the list of each show. Some had the dates, some had episode numbers and some have nothing. Its a pain to find which ones we have not seen if we get more than one behind.

We do use the record 2 and watch one from the DVR but its not the same as being able to watch a third live show while recording 2. You can see that we record a lot.  Hubby gets up at o'dark:30 so goes to bed early and I record our 'common interest' shows and many nights there are 3 on at the same time (network shows).

As I said before....Manual settings for recording does us no good whatsoever as we don't know what the show is.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone beta tests new or changed features and by that I mean customers...not employees.

Thanks again

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

TerriB wrote:

We turn off the TV using the TV button at the top of the remote when we go to bed. Then I use it to turn the TV back on and then press the Cable button for business as usual.  We never use our TV remote unless we need to change the picture qualities,  clock, surround sound or something like that.

Hi Terri,

Thanks for your comments.  Just for the record, I never use the TV remote either and only use the TV and Cable functions on the Comcast remote.  My complaint was that I previously didn't need to toggle back and forth between the two, but now I do.   Your idea of leaving the box on all the time makes the operation more consistent than sometimes turning the TV off an other times turning the box off. 

With the new menu I find myself toggling for other reasons.  For example, we  use the closed captioning on some TV shows and find it easier to toggle back to TV mode and use the TV's CC rather than wade the the myriad of menus Comcast now requires.  Why did they bury such a basic function so deep?   Are there any shortcuts for this?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

WahooZballs wrote:

this so-called improvement/update was supposed

to fix OnDemand access problems - unable to connect - message says "press ok button......" had this problem yesterday and today ! this getting pitiful, Comcast !

What happens when you press OK/Select? If you are having trouble with your service, please call us at

1-800-XFINITY. Thanks. .

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

TerriB wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if anyone beta tests new or changed features and by that I mean customers...not employees.

Thanks again

As with all of our new products, I can tell you that we have tested this guide (using an independent research firm) with real customers in Scientific Atlanta areas in multiple markets and also received much direct feedback on usability.

We also now have this guide (or a very similar version of this guide) now in over 26 million Comcast cable boxes across the country. Many other cable companies use this same guide.

We continue to do extensive testing and customer research on our on-screen program guides. We are always working to improve the look and add new features that are valuable. Customer feedback is very valuable and is an ongoing process. Thanks for sharing yours.

A lot of improvements are apparent in our new On-Screen Guide 2.0 which is already available in many areas (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee and parts of Louisiana)

More information on that guide is available here: http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

TeeJayMpls wrote:

With the new menu I find myself toggling for other reasons.  For example, we  use the closed captioning on some TV shows and find it easier to toggle back to TV mode and use the TV's CC rather than wade the the myriad of menus Comcast now requires.  Why did they bury such a basic function so deep?   Are there any shortcuts for this?

The on-screen guide that you have has a subtitle menu screen that will allow customers to enable subtitles (closed captioning) through the set top box. You should be able to turn subtitles on or off in the guide menu if you have a newer Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded HD cable box AND that cable box is connected to your TV set via HDMI or component video cables.

Access the Main Menu by hitting the Menu button twice on your silver Comcast remote control. Select Setup, Then select Subtitle setup. The Subtitle setup screen may be on page 1 or 2 of the Setup menu. (You may have to push the page down button to get to page 2 of this menu).

The default setting is Off. You can use the right arrow on the remote control to turn subtitles On.

This method works on most all of our HD cable boxes connected via HDMI or component video cables (the exceptions are the 2000 HD and the 3100 HD cable boxes).

If the steps outlined above do not work or your cable box is connected via other methods, you may need to access and adjust your captioning options via the User Settings.

Here are the steps. Turn OFF your set-top box; it will remain in standby mode. Leave your TV set ON.

1. Press GUIDE on your Comcast silver remote control while the set-top box is in standby mode. OR press the Channel Up and the Channel Down buttons simultaneously on the front panel of the set-top box.

2. From here you can arrow down and can turn captioning ON or OFF and also set up your various closed captioning settings. 

But I hear you, we do have plans to elevate the closed captioing access points to make it easier to turn captions on or off. 

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

Ted, Thanks for taking the time to provide all that detail.  I don't have a problem with getting CC to work via the setup menu, its just that it require so many steps to turn it on and off.  Access the TV's CC require fewer steps:

To turn on:

1. Press TV button.

2. Press Info twice

3. Press Cable to return to standard function.

To Turn off:

1. Press TV button.

2. Press Info once.

3. Press Cable to return to standard function.

The closed captioning provided by Comcast has the advantage that it is integrated with menus so that it doesn't write over them like the TV's CC does.  Normally not a problem, though.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Thanks again

As with all of our new products, I can tell you that we have tested this guide (using an independent research firm) with real customers in Scientific Atlanta areas in multiple markets and also received much direct feedback on usability.

We also now have this guide (or a very similar version of this guide) now in over 26 million Comcast cable boxes across the country. Many other cable companies use this same guide.

We continue to do extensive testing and customer research on our on-screen program guides. We are always working to improve the look and add new features that are valuable. Customer feedback is very valuable and is an ongoing process. Thanks for sharing yours.

A lot of improvements are apparent in our new On-Screen Guide 2.0 which is already available in many areas (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee and parts of Louisiana)

More information on that guide is available here: http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

I am glad to hear there is testing but I a bit surprised that actual customers testing it did not fuss loudly about losing the ability to record  a show same time/same day/weekly which should be a standard option instead of recording all repeats and duplicates. I still cannot imagine WHY anyone would want to do that on purpose. Also the value of PIP cannot be overstated.  I saved on my last tv  by not needing PIP because I knew Comcast had it.  It is such a valuable feature.

I looked at the new guide features and some we already have and some are really good like 'going back in time' which we lost with the first guide upgrade. Still no recording options like we had before and of course no PIP.  I have heard nothing from my cable system as to when we might get the new guide.

Thanks again

Contributor
WahooZballs

with the new dvr interface - no option to "skip to the end of the program" like we had before this debacle

is there anyway to do this on the new dvr software ?

and i agree with the previous poster - why was there no beta testing of this amonst us customers ?

looks like to me, Comcast is losing customers both now and in the past from this downgrade of service - and face it, Comcast - thats what it really is !  ThePapaDude

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

WahooZballs wrote:

with the new dvr interface - no option to "skip to the end of the program" like we had before this debacle

is there anyway to do this on the new dvr software ?

and i agree with the previous poster - why was there no beta testing of this amonst us customers ?

looks like to me, Comcast is losing customers both now and in the past from this downgrade of service - and face it, Comcast - thats what it really is !  ThePapaDude

“Skip to the End” for DVR customers is also not included in this new guide.

You may want to try the Page Up key on the silver remote control to skip ahead 5 minutes at a time and the Page Down key to skip back 5 minutes as alternative shortcuts.

Something new with this guide that you may not have noticed yet is that you now have the option to resume a DVR program from where you left off.

As mentioned earlier... as with all of our new products, I can tell you that we have tested this guide (using an independent research firm) with real customers in Scientific Atlanta areas in multiple markets and also received much direct feedback on usability.

Customer satisfaction levels for this new guide are up, On Demand usage is significantly up (both free and transactional programs) and the number of cable boxes deployed in SA-Cisco homes is up (as compared to the previous guide) based on independent third-party phone, in-person and internet surveys with customers that used to have the previous guide and have had this new guide for 60 days. 

We appreciate your feedback and can appreciate your concerns.

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

ComcastTeds wrote:

You may want to try the Page Up key on the silver remote control to skip ahead 5 minutes at a time and the Page Down key to skip back 5 minutes as alternative shortcuts.

I have used the page up and page down to skip forward and backward 5 minutes and that works on as a one shot.  (My personal preference would be for Page Up to to go back and Page Down to go forward as that seems more intuitive.)

For jumping to the end, however, I have found it is faster to kick the fast forward to the highest speed where is showing 5 forward arrows.  It's faster because when I press the Page Up each time there is a long delay before it takes effect.  So multiple Page Ups don't go as fast as you would expect.  Maybe that is faster on other boxes than the SA 8300?

I too miss the jump to end feature. Also, when you reach the end of the play it now asks to delete the recording with delete as the default.  More than once I have accidentally deleted a recording before I wanted to because of this default.  I think the default should be to save or, better yet, not even ask the question.

Regular Contributor
Anon161446

I, too, have accidently deleted a show becaue the default is delete.  Not intuitive at all. When you are setting a recording, will Page Up/Down move the recording 5 minutes past the normal end date?  That would be easier than making it a manual recording.

Contributor
ojmc

I agree. Page Down to go forward is more intuitive.

In general, regarding the "new" program guide I suspect the MANY problems/complaints can be traced to:

1. Very little or no customer involvement/input

2. Poor requirements the contractror doing the "upgrade", i.e., exactly what does the customer need,  

what does the customer want see (or NOT see) and what does the customer want to be able to do 

3. Insufficient understanding by the contractor of the various cable boxes and DVRs involved.

3. No design/implementation reviews prior to and during the implementation

4  Inadequate (an understatement) testing

5 An overriding desire by Comcast to use the guide to market its products to the detriment of its customers,

e.g., too much screen allocated to logos, adverts for movies, and generally poor layout.

As others have noted, the previous guide associated with SA customers was far superior. CC should have taken that guide as a starting point and moved their other customers in that direction.

Regular Contributor
Anon161446

It's called CORPORATE PROFIT.  I generally like the new guide better but the ads drive me nuts.  I'm paying enough for Comcast without seeing all those ads. 

Visitor
DiannaInVA

ComcastTeds wrote:

Something new with this guide that you may not have noticed yet is that you now have the option to resume a DVR program from where you left off.

I'll admit that this is the BEST part of the update. That was the thing that annoyed me the most about the original guide--if I started to watch a program one day, I couldn't continue it on the next day. I had to write down where I was so I knew where to fast forward to.

So that's ONE good thing about the update.

Everyone else has pretty much mentioned all the things I hated about the update. The most annoying for me:

*  Turning Closed Captioning on and off. It's way, way, way more complicated and difficult to find than before. In fact it took me quite awhile to even find the option hidden in the settings.

*  And the worst part of the update: REMOVING PICTURE IN PICTURE!!!!!!!   I just don't believe that  a majority of people don't want that feature.  When Comcast asked people about it, they must have worded the question in an odd way to get the answer they wanted. That and the fact that many people didn't have it so they didn't know what they were missing. *sigh*  

Regular Contributor
TeeJayMpls

DiannaInVA wrote:
I'll admit that this is the BEST part of the update. That was the thing that annoyed me the most about the original guide--if I started to watch a program one day, I couldn't continue it on the next day. I had to write down where I was so I knew where to fast forward to.

Actually, there was a way to resume the last viewed show but it wasn't obvious.  The old system used a dedicated channel for the DVR (1996 on my SA).  If you went to that channel rather than the guide, you could pick up from where you left off on the last show you were watching.  
The new guide is much better about this, of course, as it keeps track of each show individually.
Visitor
FormerCCrep

Still hate the new guide ...one of the most annoying issues is when you set the dvr to record using the guide...unfortunately the guide is out of sync with the video feed...my recordings always end just before the final punch line to the show. I have to set it to go over, then, the annyoing message that the recording has finished interupts the show and jumps me to the current feed....and don't get me started about how it announces ON ONLY ONE SET that my service has been interupted and my dvr is not authorized.  Sometimes rebooting works, others, I just have to wait.  And I get to pay for this annoyance!! ugh

Contributor
ojmc

Why can't these announcements be more unobtrusive, e.gg., down in the corner, smaller font And why does it have to display for so long? 2-3 seconds would be adequate. Now it's like 15 seconds which is rediculous

Contributor
ojmc

when will the new guide be available in New Mexico?

Regular Contributor

ojmc wrote:

I agree. Page Down to go forward is more intuitive.

In general, regarding the "new" program guide I suspect the MANY problems/complaints can be traced to:

1. Very little or no customer involvement/input

2. Poor requirements the contractror doing the "upgrade", i.e., exactly what does the customer need,  

what does the customer want see (or NOT see) and what does the customer want to be able to do 

3. Insufficient understanding by the contractor of the various cable boxes and DVRs involved.

3. No design/implementation reviews prior to and during the implementation

4  Inadequate (an understatement) testing

5 An overriding desire by Comcast to use the guide to market its products to the detriment of its customers,

e.g., too much screen allocated to logos, adverts for movies, and generally poor layout.

As others have noted, the previous guide associated with SA customers was far superior. CC should have taken that guide as a starting point and moved their other customers in that direction.

The issue is that Comcast appeared to want to standardize on one set of software.  The Motorola box is less capable than the SA box.  I imagine that SA/Cisco has worked hard to differentiate itself with mutiple buffer capabilties that Motorola doesn't have.  Whether this means the future for SA/Cisco involves dumber boxes or Motorola smarter boxes is not clear.  Your comment about design reviews is spot-on.  I think the SA hardware was poorly understood and mishandled particularly regarding recording - the singular function of a DVR.  The unexplained recording dropouts and loss of real time buffers is a symptom.  I expect the contractor will eventually get it right.  Feature crawl - on screen number display, control by outside tools (web, etc) are useless if the box doesn't reliably record the customers selection.

I switched the TIVO and while it has similar menu issues, it does reliably record what I want.

Regular Contributor

I switch modes. It is certaintly a bit irritating, but I'd gladly take it if they'd JUST BRING BACK P-i-P :catmad:

Contributor
voyager9

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

We have added many new shows to our On Demand library, available at no additional charge. It sounds as though you have discovered that alternative. Watching some shows On Demand might also help with resolving any DVR recording conflicts as well. 

You can still (as with the previous guide) record two things at the same time while watching a previously recorded show from your DVR.  

I'll throw in my two cents... I agree that onDemand has gotten a lot better with respect to having a lot of the Network shows that I would normally record.  This is GREAT for when a new season starts and I've forgotten to update the DVR.  It's also great for when resolving some recording conflicts
The problem with onDemand is that watching it still takes up one of the tuners on the DVR.  This means you can only record 1 other show while watching onDemand content.  With shows recorded on the DVR it is possible to record 2 while watching one.
It'd also be nice if the Networks would leave the "Names" of their shows the same season to season so DVR's pick up the recording of the show when the new season starts.. I'm looking at you Survivor..  I know that's not a Comcast thing but it's annoying.

Contributor
honda30188

keep us posted on your search.  I have an idea that ATT is just about as bad as Comcast.

Regular Contributor

March Madness starts this week. NEED P-I-P!

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

[ Edited ]

I think PIP was probably originally designed/used just for Sports and then of course was used for many other reasons. I didn't realize how much I really used it untl it was GONE. Always had it as a TV set feature but didn't need to look for a set with it once Comcast had it. Well...so much for that.  I always monitored channels on PIP  when sports ran over so I knew when I could start a recording. I learned long ago to never EVER schedule  a recording that follows golf or football. I find it boring to just sit and watch home shopping but when a show is on that may have interest for me I watch something  else and PIP the shopping so when see the item I can switch. Retailers are losing money on me with no PIP...lol.

Regular Contributor
Anon161446

[ Edited ]

If Century Link - the only other cable option in our area besides a dish - has PIP, I will seriously consider switching. Century Link is upgrading the lines on our street. 

My cable bill just went up 10% with no warning. 

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Closiing this thread, this guide is not really "new" anymore and there have been no new posts since March 12. Please create a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this guide or features.Thanks.