Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

New TV, no coax cable in. How do I connect?

We just got a new TV/monitor. There is no coax cable in on the TV, and I can't figure out how to connect the cable converter. We've had the cable box for at least 5 or 6 years. Are there newer style boxes to accomodate my new TV? What do I do?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: New TV, no coax cable in. How do I connect?

What cable box do you have, and what output connections are available on it?  What inputs are available on the TV?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi WarEagle, the cable converter is a General Instruments Starfone SFT2. It has a set of component ins/outs,  a phone (yes, phone) jack, 1 RS 232 and something that looks like 3 black holes, those  read "SVideo HIGH OUT OF SPEED BAND above and DATA below. The third hole is labeled IR. It's old, I'm reasonably sure it was not new when we got it.

The TV has a couple HDMI terminals, an audio input terminal, RS 232C terminal, and an INPUT-4 terminal (D-sub 15 pin). The TV came with a short cable that is the D-sub 15 pin on one end, and a "receiver/adaptor" for audio/video  cables on the other.

thanks for your help. I'll be visiting  my local Comcast office to see if they have  a newer box that I can use, but I'll be wanting to keep the one I have (or an updated one) for our other TV. I am concerned that they won't have a box that I need, especially since I'm not really interested in paying for HD service on top of it all.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

What make/model is the TV?  It sounds more like a computer monitor.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is a computer monitor but can be used as a TV as well.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

What is the make model of your computer monitor?  Have you tried hooking up the audio/video out of

you converter box into the cable that came with you computer monitor and plugging the D15 into it?  Didn't

the computer monitor come with instructions on how to hook up the inputs?

Regular Contributor

It is a JVC that I got from a friend. It does have instructions, but they are not specific enough for me. They only say "to connect a device via" this and via that. Not specific about which devices can be connected, and I'm a little afraid to just connect things willy-nilly!

But I'll give it a sghot after I finish my coffee.

Regular Contributor

did not work.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

[ Edited ]

My Motorola SD STB has the Yellow/Red/White Baseband connectors, sounds like your TV has an adapter cable that has the Baseband Connectors (you weren't to clear on that), that is probably your solution.  See if COMCAST will trade in your old SD STB for another one that has the Yellow/Red/White RCA connectors.

Of course, the Yellow/Red/White baseband connectors give pretty poor quality, BUT, if your NOT going to pay extra to get HD, and using the SD STB is only tuner, then baseband connectors are probably NOT really hurting the quality of the SD picture you get anyway.

If the industry doesn't get its act together and the cable co.'s participate better, this is a possible future for us all.  You just by a Screen, NO tuner, and connect the propieatary equipment you rent from the cable company to view the content.

MS has been pushing for years and fielded the technology 6 months ago to answer the concerns about copyright protection and digital content, the Cable Company's just said NO thanks, we're going to paint or customers into a corner and force them to pay extra to only use our inferior equipment as a solution.

They solved this problem years ago in the Music Industry, why's it different for TV?  Oh, wait, lots of government meddling that has eleminated competition in the industry.

One work around, if you have an old VCR that your NOT using (which if you have COMCAST now any VCR without IR blasters is near useless) and it has compatible connectors with your monitor, you can connect the coax to the VCR and tune the VCR to the STB channel, then connect the monitor to the VCR.  I'm trying to use this as a workaround for my Dual Tuner in my HTPC.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you. I went to Comcast this morning. No help. I can get a new box with HD for an extra $12+ a month. I just can't do it, can't justify the extra money.  We're all hurting right now & I pay enough for less and less every day, it seems. The reason I went with this TV/monitor is because I got an exceptional deal on it, I did not anticipate that it might be more trouble for me in the end.

I actually do have an old VCR that I decided last week I should probably hang on to! I'll try that. I just don't have a lot of space to put all this stuff.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Sometimes a deal isn't necessarily a good deal.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

you are correct.

I did get a new box from Comcast, but it's pretty simple, cable in, cable out, and the component connections. The best thing about it is that it is tiny in comparison with the old box I had.

Regular Contributor

POSITIVE UPDATE! The guys I bought the JVC from talked me through the set-up over the phone. The problem was that 1) I was missing a tiny cable that was still wrapped up and had fallen behind an object on my floor and 2) I was waiting for some kind of signal to appear on my TV before going to set up any components. I now have picture and sound and it's really pretty good, even without HDMI. 

I'm still P.O.'d that Comcast charges so much for HD, though.

Cable Expert
cypherx

Hey glad to hear you got it working!

Yeah most people are P.O.'d about the cost of HD.  But it's like any other new technology.  One day it will be so common and the prices will come down.  I'd imagine at a point, every box issued will have HDMI on it.

Give it some time, and check back in the future.  Perhaps the HD equipment will eventually cost the same as the regular equipment.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

If it was just the fact you would have to pay extra to get HD, I don't think you'll see this much outrage at COMCAST.

I think people have 2 very legitimate complaints about COMCAST:

1) COMCAST's communication to customers about the digital transition failed to provide them enough information to properly plan for it, and many customers were left with interupted service and near unusable equpment as a result.

2) COMCAST is using the digital transition to transform their service into a propietary network that degrades or renders useless any open market/3rd party equipment customers already own and forces them to pay COMCAST extra fees to use COMCAST's equipment instead.  Which the equipment COMCAST offers can NOT compete with the customers equipment in an open market, because it is inferior.

No one is complaining that COMCAST transition to digital, people are complaining about how they did it and the end result. They easily could  have structured their service to give a reasonable blend of features that worked with costumers existing equipment, and some new features to make up for the loss of old features, and the customers would have been very satisfied.  They based their baseline features off a very convienant (to them only) strawman that did NOT represent the majority of their customers and then restricted the rest of the features for extra cost and locked out an open market/3rd party competition.

Eitherway you cut it, overwhelmingly COMCAST customers are getting a lot less for their previous overinflated price, they need to pay more to get back only close to what they had before, and to get any benifit out of the digital transition, they have to pay through the nose. 

Bronze Star Contributor

Re #1 Comcast's lack of communication

You have that right! Their "we have you covered" advert. campaign during the broadcast digital conversion was inexcusable. At the time Comcast itself was in the middle of their own conversion which would require many if not every customer to make changes (people who already had an STB on every TV didn't need to change).

Re#2 Proprietary system

You have that wrong. Comcast has been active in the tru2way standard, demonstrating (with Panasonic as I recall) DCR HDTV several years ago. Comcast really would like to get out of the business of having to invest in all these STBs and just have customers plug in their DCR products. With the exception of TIVO there isn't much DCR hardware available although some of the PC tuner card manufactures are starting to deliver DVR hardware. So we are back in the 1970's where the TV manufactures don't want to put extra stuff in their box because it increases the price and everybody doesn't need the extra hardware.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

[ Edited ]

Jim__ wrote:

Re#2 Proprietary system

You have that wrong. Comcast has been active in the tru2way standard, demonstrating (with Panasonic as I recall) DCR HDTV several years ago. Comcast really would like to get out of the business of having to invest in all these STBs and just have customers plug in their DCR products. With the exception of TIVO there isn't much DCR hardware available although some of the PC tuner card manufactures are starting to deliver DVR hardware. So we are back in the 1970's where the TV manufactures don't want to put extra stuff in their box because it increases the price and everybody doesn't need the extra hardware.

Oh really, wait let me reconnect my HTPC back to the cable, nope, nothing but the local channels COMCAST is required by law to keep in the clear. Let me try my HDHomeRun, nope, the same there, how about the tuner card in my other PC, funny same thing, how about my Digital Ready TV, that has got to work, NOPE still the same.

I just plugged in my old series 2 TiVo, nope it doesn't get the channels that make up 90% of my recording and watching either.

You'd think when I call COMCAST and complain, they might talk about what your talking about, NOPE, they don't even apologize, they just offer to sell me more STB's OR DVR's.

Who runs Cable Labs?  Pretty sure its the cable companies, correct me if I'm wrong on that?  From what I've read its Cable Labs constantly raising the bar and changing the standards that has resulted in no Cable Card devices available, NOT TV manufacturers that do NOT want to bother to offer extra features of their TV's.

Seriously, do you believe NOT a single TV manufacturer can see a market for a TV that works the way it should with Cable Co. that insist and making their system proprietary?

All of the Manufacturers of recording devices, computer tuner cards, just decided they wanted out of the business, they didn't want to sell any that worked with Cable Company's service anymore?

Can you point to one product being made that is compatible with COMCAST's service??  Yep, there's just the latest TiVo, congratulation to them to sticking with it and NOT be discouraged out of the Cable Card Technology.  Sorry, I'm NOT spending $300 on a new TiVo and then $15 a month services fees, that going to Satellite equipment and satellite fees.

If COMCAST wants to get out of the business of STB's, then why in the world would they encrypt every channel they legally can?

http://jviptv.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/fcc-attacks/

According to this, the FCC Broadband plan, that includes the Video Industry, the FCC is upset about Cable Card and lays the blame at STB manufacturers and Cable Co's for dragging their feet in its development, because it was in their interest to resist it and maintain their monopolies; NOT the TV manufacturers that just didn't want to bother in selling TV's that more people would want to buy.

Anecdotal evidence, BUT, I have a buddy that owns a TV with a Cable Card, he called and tried to order a Cable Card and the COMCAST rep talked him out of it, I advised against it and said he should force COMCAST to provide him a card.  He's NOT to technically adept, so he couldn't relay the reasons they were giving him NOT to order a cable card, but they made it sound to him that Cable Card was just a bad deal he didn't want to use.

Cable Card is only around because a Law was passed requiring it, to maintain competition in the industry.  And funny how it just hasn't gotten off the ground and if you ask why, everyone points to the cable companies that have to provide the first step in the technology.

The music industry quickly developed the technology to protect copyright, lots of other companies have developed and proposed similar technology for TV, NOPE, NOT interested, it seems only the technology that grows Cable Co's Monopoly to include equipment, is the technology that is adopted.

Bronze Star Contributor

If you don't have DCR equipment you can't expect it to work now can you. You want to blame everybody but yourself for your choices. Have a nice day.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

[ Edited ]

Jim__ wrote:

If you don't have DCR equipment you can't expect it to work now can you. You want to blame everybody but yourself for your choices. Have a nice day.

Your absolutely right, I should be happy with just paying an extra monthly fee to COMCAST and have them provide me an inferior recording device out their pile, which ever one they draw will be mine.  And pay more for it in 2 years then the it cost me to provide myself my preferred and better recording device.

If I don't like it, I can go to another Cable Company, well, wait, I can't go to another cable company, can I?

6 months ago, a year ago, COMCAST could have told its customers that it intended to encrypt every channel they legally could get away with, but they didn't.  I guess thats my fault?  COMCAST failing to comply with the laws and regulations, and pleading to the government that they are too technically inept to implement the technologies they were supposes to, but yet, reap in profits like they are the most innovative company ever, I guess that my fault.

I'm blaming COMCAST for their choices, you may see their choices for their service as reasonable, I do NOT.

Still waiting for that 2 way technology, 14 years to implement some solutions and nothing yet but a tivo, which gets away with NOT adding hundreds of dollars on to the initial price by using their monthly service fees to make up for it, yes I'm the one making bad choices.