New Visitor
dsbell65

New charges for previously free digital adapters!

I just received my December 2012 bill and was annoyed to read on page 3 that my 2 free digital adapters are going to cost me $1.99 each starting in January of 2013. Apparently, anyone with the 2 free adapters will now be charged $1.99 for each adapter.  I called c/s today to ask why there was going to be a charge for something that has been advertised, offered and accepted as being no charge.  I was told by the rep that "comcast can charge whatever they want".  Highway robbery!!!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: New charges for previously free digital adapters!

This is a user to user forum, and yes you are correct, they are now charging for them and yes comcats is correct when they say they can charge whatever they want.  I have not heard that they are going to charge for old dta boxes I was under the assumption that it was for new ones.  i would call again and ask for the billing department.  If they are indeed going to charge you monthly for that garbage box then you should upgrade to the digital for for 8 dollars more and get more.

New Visitor
dsbell65

Thanks for the reply.  My bill says starting Jan 2013, the charge will go from "no charge" to $1.49 per box plus .50 per box. I can only assume that means everyone who got the 2 free boxes last year is going to get hit.  A total rip off.  Before I give comcast another dime I would endure the aggravation of switching to Verizon.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Last comment.  Just so you know, if you switch to verizon which is so much better you will need a box on every tv at a larger rental price than comcast .  Your experience will probably be so much better though.  If you have it in your area the answer is clear.

Regular Contributor

I believe I may do that also.  I live in an apt. so my whole building will have to be approved by the management to install the fiberoptics. 

New Visitor
acb2013

Does anybody know if you can buy the adapters or do you have to rent them?

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

You cannot buy the DTA's. The only box you can buy is Tivo.

New Visitor
dsbell

I turned in my adapters, bought $34 HD anteneas from radio shack and can clearly pick up the FREE HD signal from 42 stations including all of the local channels.  If I want to watch a movie or a show on a channel I do not get, I watch Hulu or Netflix.  Don't need Comcast to see the FREE HD broadcast from 42 local stations.  

Regular Contributor

Yes that's what they told me also.   She was totally rude.  I told her I was out of work and UE had stopped so I'm on social security. She then told me that if I didn't have the proper income, I should cut back on the service I have, HD, only source of entertainment and cut back the speed of my computer, source for job hunting.

I asked her if I should sell my 13 year old car and move into government housing?  Would that help pay my already ""too high"" comcast bill and her salary.  

Regular Contributor

Good suggestion.   But, I have an old tv in my bedroom, not HD ready.  I was told they would grandfather in the boxes from before July 2012 but the person I talked to the other day said NO, you will be charged.  I would love to be able to buy a digital antenna that gets more than 1 station.

Where are the new inventors?  Please invent an antenna that works for just basic reception.  Or, invent a cable network that is cheaper ----for real.

Regular Contributor

Don't want to pay more.  I want good capable service for a reasonable (cheaper) price.  Bring back antenna TV.

Regular Contributor

Really!  Good for you.  The only problem here is sports.  Where do you live, what stations are you getting?

New Visitor
dsbell

I get 3,6,10, PBS, WPHL17, fox,29, ion, antenea tv, cozi, and a bunch of news and business stations.  Channel 6 comes in clearer than when I had the DTA box hooked up!

New Visitor
dsbell

I live near Mt. Holly so when the Phillies are on WPHL I will be good.  Eagles are usually on 6.

New Visitor

This scam has hit my community. I'm guessing that many people have moved on from analog TVs to digital ones. And the free digital adapters were probably tossed with the old TVs. Now Comcast will continue to charge $1.99/month per adapter whether you are using it or not! The device does have a MAC address so I presume that Comcast can determine whether you are using it or not. Since this fee is for a 'service', I think you can legitimately claim that if you are not using the adapter Comcast should know that fact. If so, charging for the 'service' would be tantamount to a fraud. Here is some further detail from the Comcast website: 

the digital adapter service charge of $1.99 will apply to each additional digital adapter service outlet (such charges are not applicable for digital adapter service outlets existing on accounts prior to July 1, 2012).

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Unlike a full cable box, the DTA's are a one-way device.  They do not communicate back with the system, the system doesn't know if it's out there and connected or not.

Comcast never credit's even full cable boxes if they are disconnected or not, since it is still in posession of the subscriber and not usable to anyone else. 

Regular Contributor

I called comcast and they didn't know anything about before July 1st.  Told me I would be charged.  I got the adapter when the gov't made us switch, 2 free per household.  Isn't that generous~!  Like China, 2 children per household.  It ticks me off,  they charge for everything. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The July 1, 2012 was not nationwide.  Different market area's started charging at different times,  for many it was on January 1, 2013.

Regular Contributor

I don't know about that, the first time I hooked mine up I was told to call comcast and give them the number from the bottom of the box and what room it would be in.  I think they know when you use it.....,,,ooooooooooooo...that's scarrey.  I have to make friends with a comcast guy!

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Not being charged in the Boston area,YET.

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Montgomery county, PA area began charging on my January 2013 bill.

They also raised the price of everything else as well.

Contributor
b-jmcdaniel

I got this letter and blew! It is the same as pumping gas at the price on the pump and then being told inside by the cashier that, "Oh, that's in error. It's really going to be $5 a gallon more." This is not only lying and misleading, I'm not sure it's not illegal. I have been nickled and dimed to death by these people over the years as service goes down and prices go up. I think I can pay the same or a little more and get Dish or Direct TV with more channels and be able to record a different channel than the one I'm watching. Who does that anyway? I'd like to try the antenna deal but am afraid our here in the boonies I couldn't get much.

Regular Contributor
egeek84

This happened to me too, it's so furiating.  Awhile back, they were here at my house to install an outlet and at the time, we had a fat tube tv and they told us we would need the digital converter box in order to keep receiving channels.  They told us it was free though.  Well fast forward a few months, we started getting charged for it and then even after I brought the box back, I was still getting charged.  I called and complained and the lady assured me she would take it off my account and that I wouldn't be billed for it again.  Well guess what I just happened to see on my most recent bill, yup you guessed it, another charge for the digital convertor box that I DONT HAVE and this time, it was 11 bucks.  To say that I was upset would be a vast understatement.  I called them yesterday though and a guy credited me and assured me yet again that it was going to be taken off so we will see......

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

When you brought the box back, did you get a receipt and have it removed from your account?

Bronze Star Contributor

Just got my bill and it was up about $4 and sure enough they charged me for 2 converter boxes.  I thought 2 were included as I have a really high Comcast bill already.  May have to downgrade or cancel as I am retired and need to keep the cost down!!

Contributor
b-jmcdaniel

Well, I just got my bill for Jan. and it was not changed. However, it had a notice enclosed with a "new rate schedule effective Feb. 1, 2013". From adding up all the little increases for different items it looks as if my bill for TV and internet will be increasing $8.95 a month! Guess I'll be looking into Dish TV. It will cost me about the same but I'll be able to get more channels on all four TV's and record several programs at once (without watching the same one at the same time). It seems to me when one has been with a company for 25 years without ever being late with a bill they would, at some point, stop nickel and dime-ing you to death. I've been complaining every time they do something like this but it doesn't matter and they have now tipped the scales to the dumping point.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love your comment about the scales being tipped.  I've also been complaining. Seniors and the unemployed should also get a significant decrease which would be an incentive to stay with them.  They offer incentives and discounts to new customers but nothing if you've been a loyal customer for 25 years.  In 2014 it will be 30 years for me.

New Visitor
arturhakob

Can you please pointme to the location on Comcast's website where you found this "the digital adapter service charge of $1.99 will apply to each additional digital adapter service outlet (such charges are not applicable for digital adapter service outlets existing on accounts prior to July 1, 2012)." ?  I can't find it.

Thanks!

Contributor
b-jmcdaniel

Nothing in the letter I got said anything about being grandfathered in. It only said ,"Recently you received a notification stating two DTAs would be provided at no additional monthly service charge. However, this notification was in error. All DTAs for service tiers above Limited Basic are $1.99 plus applicable fees and taxes." In other words we were either lied to or misled when told we had to have the boxes but they would be provided free. Again, it is paramount to pumping gas at the price on the pump only to be told when going to the register that that's not the case and the gas is going to be $2 a gallon more expensive. VERY UNETHICAL!

Visitor
Wdstk46

I took a two-year service triple-play service agreement that was offered to get people to switch from U-Verse.  Part of the agreement was that you HAD to take two digital service boxes along with the HD/DVR.  I was assured that these were covered in the service fee of $89.99/mo.  I wasn't billed for them for six months.  Suddenly in December I was told that they would no longer be free, regardless of what my service agreement says.  I pointed out to Comcast that the $89.99 fee on the bill also says it includes "video equipment" and asked if the digital boxes were video equipment.  They said yes but it made no difference what my service agreement or billing said.  

I have set up an appointment with my City Manager's office Ithe franchise authority) and the FCC.  We are meeting next week.  I'll post back when I get a decision.

Regular Contributor

I will sign your petition. I hope that you can do what no one else can, to this point.  I hate comcast but it seems to be the only game in town, south Jersey, too costly and annoying to change.  What's with the laundry list of taxes?

Good Luck.

Recognized Contributor

arturhakob: this post has the link about sixth one down posters name pcysmith : http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Why-am-I-now-being-charged-for-my-DTAs/m-p/1566...

Contributor

I just talked with them this afternoon and was told "yes they were once free but now we will be charged $1.98 per adaptor.

New Visitor

I think this would be a good class action case against Comcast.  I never normally look at my bill but I did recently and notice I was being charged for equipment that I don't use. Use one once, a few years ago. I was under the impression they were free.  There maybe some small print that allows Comcast to do what they are doing but I don't think it will hold up in a class action lawsuit.

Regular Contributor
ZundapMan

For those interested, there is an even longer thread with the same type of stories from customers on this issue under billing related topics.  Frankly, those who have posted to these threads are a tiny fraction of the numbers being affected by these decisions.  I've got an Analog TV that is dying and a wife that wants everything available in the family room in the guest bedroom so that when someone sleeps in there, (sometimes her) the TV will have everything we subscribe to there too.   O how I wish there was a way to have one "whole house" cable box we could use from any room!  There is no technical reason why this could not be offered except for the profit associated with decoding device rentals! 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Regular Contributor

Because satellites made us HAVE to go digital why weren't we given the option of analog or digital?  Comcast stinks, can't say what I would like to.  My bill is more every few months.  What's with the full page of taxes they charge? 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

MissHurleyD

Write your local congressman about the change to digital. The government forced broadcasters to change from the analog frequencies to digital frequencies to free up the analog frequencies to sell them off for emergency services.

The cable companies could have kept analog feeds but they like the ability to encrypt without having to run techs out to put traps on lines and other benefits to them. Our choice appears to be digital or nothing.

New Visitor
kettlecreek

How in the world do you tune 44 channels --- the best I can do is 14? Explain or if ou would like to exchange technology info I am happy to. I am exploring an xbmc based interface. 

Contributor

I also got this letter they have tried in the past to charge me $19.95 but as I look thru the bills I see thru out the years the price always changes, today the letter says digital additional outlet fee $9.95 but I have tivo so I really do not understand this charge, also in the past I was able to get a response to my issues now no one will answer at comcast and there is no way I will call again as most of you have stated when you call you get a different answer to the question every time you inquire. I have two tvs. and two tivos should I get this charge? if so there is no way I will pay $9.95 for the 5 min of tv before I fall asleep I really wish there was another option here in VA on this mountain. oh and I also see that there are different prices for some of you $1.99? how is it mine is so much more any thoughts?