Regular Contributor

No more XDS on PBS channel for auto-time set?

This past weekend my VCR, which is setup to auto-set its clock and channel lineups based on the Extended Data Services (XDS) signal carried on the local PBS channel, started displaying the incorrect time of day. The date and channel lineups are still correct though.

Has the XDS signal been dropped with the transition to digital? Of course I can reset the clock manually when necessary, but I will miss the auto-set feature.

Tony

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: No more XDS on PBS channel for auto-time set?

I have asked a Comcast moderator to check on it.  You are in Chicago, aren't you?
Regular Contributor

I am in the northern Chicago suburbs. Thanks for checking.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I'm also in the Chicago area, and noticed it had disappeared a few weeks ago. It used to be set from WTTW. My VCR got way off. I tried an autoscan, and after a few hours of it still going 'Auto', I went to bed. In the morning, it had sort-of set itself, but was way off.

I've had to disable the auto-setting for now. My VCR appears to lose about a second a day. Not a big deal, as I mainly only use it as a clock, and the occasional time I need to record 3 shows (I have a Comcast DVR.)

Regular Contributor

No word yet from Comcast about this?

I called customer service about it yesterday and the guy was unable to find any information about it. He knew what I was talking about, but didn't know whether the signal was still being provided or not.

Visitor

This is also a problem for my Panasonic DVR ... and includes the loss of the "TV Guide On Screen" service.

What I have discovered is that the time setting signal and the TVGOS were broadcast as hidden signlas in the analog days by the local PBS stations. However, once PBS went digital, they stopped. The service is being transmitted in the new digital era by NBC or CBS affiliates depending on your location.

I've been given a lot of run around (or lack of answers) by a most parties involved.

I have confirmed that my DVR does not detect a host signal for this content.

I receive a limited basic signal out of the wall from Comcast. CBS-KOVR13 in Sacramento broadcasts the signal after the local PBS station stopped. That change occurred before the June '09 switch.

I was receiving this content before the digital switch. I do not receive the content now.

On-Line Chat support told me it was because they have never sent that signal on limited basic accounts ... which isn't true since I've had that service the 3+ years I've had the DVR.

Panasonic responds to email questions with instructions to call them ... but their number remains busy throughout their business hours.

I did reach out to the local CBS station today (KOVR13) and will see how they respond. And I also reached out to a family member who works for a CBS station in another state to see if he has any info that might help.

I think Comcast should have a solid answer and solution here ... that should force a charge or higher service level (it was free before ... digital transition shouldn't change that)

Does anyone on this board have any ideas? (my home area provide is Comcast, Roseville CA 95661)

New Visitor

Is there any further information on this topic?  I now have the same problem with my Sony VCR and Comcast Baltimore County, Maryland.
Contributor

Same problem for 2 Toshiba DVRs (as cross posted in another topic).  Any word from Comcast?
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

There may be little that can be done. For analog, the signals were sent as blips on a few scan lines above the top of the picture. For digital, it's embedded in the digital data. To duplicate an analog version, they would have to convert the digital data to the analog version and put it in the analog feed.