New Visitor
mjesch

No sound on VCR recording

After receiving my new digital cable boxes I was finally able to figure out how to record a show with my VCR only to discover that there is no sound on the recording unless I am actually watching the show as it records. Anyone else have this problem?

Contributor
bennor

Re: No sound on VCR recording

[ Edited ]

Yes, this was/is a common problem in some markets. In my area when Comcast pushed out their new set top box guide it changed the way the Set Top Box (a Scientific Atlanta) dealt with sending the signal out when the box was turned off. It used to be if I scheduled a recording on the STB the box would turn on and I could record both audio/video from the box. With the new guide pushed to my box the new "feature" is I have to leave the box turned on all the time for the VCR to record both audio and video. If I don't the box will turn on at the scheduled time but only video is pass, no audio is passed. Frustrating to say the least.

What I've done is to put the VCR on an A/B switch so when I record channels that my VCR can still receive via analog I throw the switch and program the VCR alone. For pay channels I throw the switch back and have to program both the VCR and the Set Top Box. Bad thing is another "new feature" is the box now displays onscreen information that gets recorded by the VCR about 10 seconds before it changes channel or the STB recording time ends. More frustration.

My newest frustration is with the DTA's and their inability to turn off, or have a way to change the channel for multi channel VCR recording through the DTA. :smileysad:

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

The originator or the post did not mention anything about the box being on or off.  leave you box on and you should not have that problem, you do not save any money or power by turning the box off as its never actually off, it uses the same power on or off, so just leave it on and you should not have an issue.

New Visitor
JustTwoCents

I have the same issue and when I called the Help line they never heard of this "new feature" and sent a new box (Cisco on the front, but Scientific Atlanta card inside, old box is Scientific Atlanta).  The new box brings up the guides faster and tunes the HD channels (down samples them work with my old TV), but has the same issue.  We time-shift our viewing by weeks so found tape after tape without sound and utilized On Demand to catch up on shows. 

We like the old box better since it displays the time, so will send the new one back. 

New Visitor
dicraig57

I have the same problem, records with video but no audio.  I have found that if I hit the Power button on the remote, sound comes on while watching, but VCR/DVR did not get the sound.  I talked to Tech Support and they suggested new box.  I swapped it out and have same results.  Must be in the programming or in the RNG100 box.

If Comcast reads this, what can we do other than never turn off the box?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The box needs to stay on for you to record from it's output.  The difference from a box being on or off is 2 watts because the main functions of the box are always on anyway.  Turning off the box only affects the output ports.

New Visitor
dicraig57

Thanks, I am starting to realize that.  2 watts is 48 per day, about 1.2kw per month.  Yes, it is only pennies per month, but still is energy wasted.  I am not a tree-hugger, but do like to conserve where I can.

Now I am trying to figure out how to disable the "ALL ON" button so we don't turn it off by mistake.

BTW, no one at the Comcast help desk or tech support knows about this.  And, it is a stupid design! (I used to evaluate hardware and software designs for living)

Thanks again.

New Visitor
dicraig57

One other thing I forgot, when it records without sound, the POWER LED is on.  When a box shows power on, all it's functions should work.

OK, I'll get off my soap box for now.

Contributor
bennor

[ Edited ]

Correct. If the box is off and powers on for the scheduled recording the "bypass" feature does not pass the audio, it only passes the video. Powering on the box before the recording time will pass both the audio and video.

With the SA (Scientific Atlanta) STB I've used for ages from Comcast, the bypass feature used to work correctly and would pass both the audio and video to the TV or VCR when the box was off and then powered on for the scheduled STB recording, with the new SA guide update that got pushed out this past year, that feature is now broken. And as we see the solution is to leave the box powered on when a recording is scheduled.

And yes while its a small number of watts used when the box is powered on compared to off, its one of those slightly annoying things. Its still consuming power along with many other devices when powered off. Vampire power. Goes against the whole "green" idea of reducing your power consumption as much as possible when not using electronics which some suggest we should be doing.

New Visitor
Glornt

I've had my DVR (Motorola, dual tuner) for a little over two weeks now, and I've already had one case in which a show had video but no sound and another case in which I had sound but no video. In both cases, neither Pause nor any speed of FF would affect the result (the video-only show appeared to be in FF2 mode, while the sound-only show proceeded at normal speed no matter what I did). Also, in both cases, the time indicator showing where I was in the recording remained at 0:00 throughout, which was obviously incorrect. As mentioned above, pause did not work, and then I'd stop and resume, in both cases it would start from the beginning rather than from where I had left off.

Also, in the video-only case, which happened this morning, I had it set to record two shows at the same time; the other show recorded properly, so this should not have been due to the power having been off before the recording started. The fact that it was more than simply missing sound or video (the inability to pause, ff, or rewind, and that after stopping it would always resume from the very beginning) makes it seem more like a software bug. Is this a known issue? If so, are there any remedies available? If not, what progress is being made toward fixing this problem?

Regular Visitor
Omar_Schmidlap_

Just last week, I had a service technician pay me a visit to address the same problem.  I naturally assumed that the Motorola DCT-6200/2005 in my possession was defective.  The service technician was barely helpful: he showed me that pressing a button on the remote would restore the audio to the TV, but he also insisted that the audio would record to the VCR regardless (obviously wrong).  After some experimenting, I discovered that the Motorola's timer function will operate as desired (i.e., changing the channel at the right time with audio) provided that it is manually powered up prior to the scheduled start time of the program.  As one would expect, it will not power down automatically afterwards.

I had been thinking that this "automatic mute feature" was a design defect.  But now, after viewing these posts, I see that it's intentional.

New Visitor
StormanNorman

I have the same problem.  Glad I came here before wasting my time dealing with Comcast and shuttling digital boxes to and from the store, or dealing with one of their techs.  I'm going to try leaving the power on which sounds like it will do the trick, but what good is timer recoding to a VCR if you have to leave the digital box power on, OR you have to be there to touch a button on the remote to activate the audio signal.  Just plain silliness.  The guys who design the software for these boxes should have their heads examined.  Nuff said. Peace out... 

Contributor
bennor

Yes its crazy, before the guide/box firmware update last year in my market the set top box I use worked fine with a VCR when setting up a recording on the STB and then turning it off. Some "feature enhancement", having to leave the STB on whenever I want to record with my VCR. Becomes a real hassle when I go on vacation and have to cross my fingers hoping I don't loose power which causes the box to go into the off mode when the power is restored.