New Visitor
mikefour
Accepted Solution

ONE MOMENT PLEASE. THIS CHANNEL SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY. REF S0a00

After power outage last night all I get for every channel is ONE MOMENT PLEASE. THIS CHANNEL SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY.   REF S0a00. 

This is a Motorola DCT2000 box. Phone and internet (also through Comcast) are OK.

I tried unpluging the box for a few minutes and got same message after repower.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: ONE MOMENT PLEASE. THIS CHANNEL SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY. REF S0a00

This is a signal issue which could be caused by a weak signal, which can affect only certain channels. Check the connections to the cable box, especially the incoming coax, and eliminate any unnecessary splitters.

To check signal strength with a Motorola box, tune to the offending channel, turn off the box with the remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "Inband Status" (probably page d04) and look for "SNR" for the tuner(s). This value should be in the mid to upper 30s. You may be able to improve the signal strength by adding a signal amplifier to the incoming cable line.

It also may be a weak signal caused by problems outside your house, in which case a call to 1-800-COMCAST to have them send out a tech to check on it may be of benefit.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Since your phone and internet are ok, please share the status of your Comcast HSI levels by going to your browser and click or type in this link, http://192.168.100.1  This way I know if your modem is in spec also.  I am looking for the downstream power and s/n levels, and upstream power level on the status tab.

Please share how many TV outlets in the home, and if the splitters are located outside or elsewhere like in the basement.

Please make sure you are not routing any coaxial cable through any AC surge protector strips.

Update me with what I'm asking for first, as I want to determine if it's a wiring issue or a set top box issue, since that model is so old.

New Visitor
mikefour

Downstream   Freq/Power: 703.750 MHz 10 dBmV     Signal to Noise Ratio:  37 dB     Modulation: QAM256  

Upstream   Freq/Power: 32.200 MHz 39 dBmV

Only one TV outlet and no splitters

no coax through surge protectors

Everything worked great until a local power outage last night. Now I get same message for Every channel

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Swap the set top box at your local Comcast office for a start.  Hopefully you will get a newer model box.  Bring the remtoe and power cord with.

If a new box doesn't do it, then a tech will need to come out, but I'm betting on the box.  You have a nice strong signal coming it.

New Visitor
mikefour

Thanks for the help. That's what I thought it might be.

New Visitor
3cat

I am getting the same message tonight. I've never seen this before. The cable locked up/froze today just after 4pm and it's still out.

Is there a power outage somewhere?  Does anyone know?

I tried resetting the box which usually works, but not this time.

--Southern NH region

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Ususally your message is caused by the box itself, or a signal issue.  Sometimes a full reset ot the box by the Comcast agents might fix it, but most of the time Comcast needs to send out a tech to check and repair your signals.

In any case, you will need to call Comcast support, and they will determine the course of action including sending out a tech to check and replace the box, or check and repair your coaxial cabling.  Many times it is a outside issue due to the weather changing affecting the cabling and fittings.

Do you have Comcast high speed internet also?

New Visitor
3cat

thank you. That's what I figured.  I tried to call Comcast but the wait was too long to get an operator.

I'll try to call them back later.

No, no high speed internet, only TV service.

New Visitor
cindylouwalker

I just had the techs out today to install my DVR, I get this message on some channels, but also it isn't the correct layout for channels for my area? For example channel 6 is suppose to be WCIU but I get GA government access, and my HBO & Show time are not working, nor is the On Demand!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Call Comcast and they should "hit" the box to authorize your channels on your programming tier.

The tech apparently and sadly did not program the box correctly to your account.

If you continue to have trouble with this, then please post back, and it can be escalated on Monday to a Comcast rep who will get it corrected.

New Visitor
plutopup

Got this message starting a few days ago; the cable became unreliable and not working at various times. Contacted customer support and was instructed to bring in the box and replace it. We did that this morning but the still giving the same message...before at least we had access to what was on our DVR and now we have nothing. Suggestions?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Please call Comcast back and they will need to send out a tech to find your signal issues and correct them.

New Visitor
jrvista80

Had the S0a00 and SM-8 error. One concerning VOD and other missing channels due to signal strength. I purchased a cheap Amplifier to boost the signal coming into the house and found that the signal strength was much better but still having issues with pixelation. I went ahead and bought a 15DB Amplifier and was then able to get everything to work w/ no errors. Removed my 15DB AMPLIFIER and had comcast technician come out and he found that the signal coming from the MPOE to the house was very weak. He re-terminated and I was able to get all channels and VOB but he indicated it was still a weak signal. So he added a 15DB digital amplifier and all was done. No additional fee as it was Comcast needing to boost the signal. Let the technician know I had done the same process and was full aware of what needed to be done. Its funny because I know some of the 3rd vendor Comcast uses tries to tell you its internal wiring when in fact it isn't. So be very aware there are people out there trying to make an extra buck or quota. Luckily the technician that came out was well aware I've done my research... 

New Visitor
xeenie72

This same problem just happened to me.  Everything was fine last night, but this morning that message keeps appearing, and I've re-set the box a few times.  Is swapping the box my only option, or is there something Comcast can do remotely or outside the building?

Thank you.

New Visitor
gocubs03

xeenie - same problem as you but my cable just went back up and I have a picture and sound. Thought I might miss the Bear's game tonight. Also, just curious to know where your outage occured. I'm on the northside of Chicago. Are you near the same location? Thanks... Joe

New Visitor
xeenie72

Hi Joe,

Yes, I'm on the northside of Chicago (Ravenswood neighborhood).  I'll check it out when I get home, maybe it was a temporary neighborhood issue.  Hope it stays up for you for the game tonight!

Thanks,

Christine

New Visitor
GlennLS

So an SNR value of 26 dB isn't good? My picture always turned green and pixelated since the day my cable  was installed on this TV, maybe that's why. All of the other TV's are fine in the house. So how do I tell them I need my signal fixed?