New Visitor
amb916

Only getting one channel after activating xfinity digital

[ Edited ]

came home to a tv that wouldn't let me watch unless I installed the DTA.  Got the DTA up and running (i only have $13 basic cable) and it would only broadcast channel 104. Got on the phone with the help desk, and they reset the DTA and refreshed, etc, but to no avail.

According to them, this is a California wide problem.

They are sending out another DTA so i have to wait with no tv service now =(

Was my chain yanked , or is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: Only getting one channel after activating xfinity digital

[ Edited ]

amb916 wrote: ... Got the DTA up and running (i only have $13 basic cable) and it would only broadcast channel 104. ...

You probably already know this, but just in case -- If you are trying to change channels on the TV, it won't work. You must leave the TV set to channel 3, and use the DTA remote to change channels. Also be aware that it's easy to hit the DTA remote's LANG button without realizing it, resulting is no audio on some channels. If the audio goes missing, try press LANG again.

New Visitor
amb916

unreal. 2nd adapter arrived today. same problem. had problems activating it, called the help line and got it activated but still only one channel. xferred me to another help desk and they couldn't even get it activated.

both times they tried to send out a technician and i refused. I refuse to take time off from my work.. my life... to sit and wait for comcast to fix THEIR problem.

now im having a cable box shipped to me. why? its probably not going to work anyways.

next step: cancellation of tv service.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You most likely need a tech out to troubleshoot your signal issue.  In many area's the tech's run 7 days a week until 7pm.

If you switch services you will need to stay home for the installer anyway.

New Visitor
exiteden

I'm having the same issue.  I'm only getting channel 104.  Using the channel up/down button leaves me on 104.  

amb916 - did you ever resolve the problem with a digital box as opposed to one of these dta's?  I think I'm going to do the same thing.

New Visitor
TomK2515

You are doing better than me.  I already have one HD cable box installed and working.  I got a second one for the holidays to be able to record some Xmas shows.  It doesn't work.  It activates (anyway it said it did using the procedure at www.comcast.com/activate) but no TV signal.  First tried Comcast Chat service, didn't work with Orlando, then I called a technician - Tony couldn't get it to work either.  He suggested the unit is defective and that I should take it back.  So after 6 hours of messing around waiting for it to activate after a couple of attempts, not understanding if the activation was working or not, even trying it in place of the unit that does work I returned it and asked for my money back.

P.S. The HD unit that is working had the same problem.  A technician activated it but got no TV signal output.  A technician was sent out two days later.  He said they (phone techs) are not activating them correctly.  Inside techs are supposed to do three things to activate a new box -  initialize, hit and validate. Comcast charged me $30.00 for that visit. I complained (like mad) and they reversed the charges but I don't want any more aggravation from Comcast.  I am convinced there are very few people working for Comcast that really know what they are doing or understand the equipment they provide.

BTW - The phone tech told me my problem was a system wide problem as well but scheduled the home visit.  Our chains have been pulled big time.

Recognized Contributor
m1r6z

If you had the $13 limited service and have had it for a little while then you probably also have a filter on your cable line at the pole outside which would need to be removed for the cable box to receive all of its channels. You could possibly ask for a tech to be sent out on a 'verify services' or 'remove trap' job which is an outside only job to check it out.

New Visitor
TomK2515

Thanks for your comment. You may have a good point. I receive a limited set of HD channels. Both techs were aware that I have one HD box and two DTAs installed. Neither tech mentioned a bandwidth or perhaps a loading issue. Now that I have returned the box I guess I am left with my frustration with Comcast. You get a box and it doesn't work. Why can't all tech companies be like Apple. You get something, you hook it up, turn it on and it works! The techs need to be better educated and the Comcast website could be a lot more informative about the process of activation.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was having the same problem, got out the new remote, and I'm getting all my (limited) channels again. Unfortunatley, I have now no sound, and have been pressing the Language button and still get no sound on *any* station. I was getting sound before.

:smileysad:

~N

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Nemea: You jumped on a 2 year old thread. No one knows anything about your situation or setup.

Why do you have a new remote? What cablebox do you have? Is this a new install? Was it working before?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the same limited basic cable with the digital conversion box (DTA). I hardly ever watch tv, so it's been awhile.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had the problem of only one station coming in because I was using my old remote. Due to the advice in this thread I took out the remote that came with the DTA and can now get all stations, but I have no sound. I was getting sound with the old remote.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Remotes don't create sound, or make more channels come through.

Use the remote that came with the DTA and press the LANG button.

Where did you get the old remote?

Contributor

It's my old Comcast remote, and I have pushed the Lang button many times with no result.

Contributor

Sorry, it was the remote that came with my receiver that formerly worked fine to control the TV and Cable.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

BTW, I know that remotes don't add channels or create sound. I was referring to this advice from the second post in this thread, which I followed and solved the channel problem:

"You probably already know this, but just in case -- If you are trying to change channels on the TV, it won't work. You must leave the TV set to channel 3, and use the DTA remote to change channels. Also be aware that it's easy to hit the DTA remote's LANG button without realizing it, resulting is no audio on some channels. If the audio goes missing, try press LANG again."

Again, I pressed the LANG button and still have no sound.

Contributor

So to sum up, I am using the DTA remote and pushing the LANG button many times and there is no sound on *any* station. When I used the old remote, I got one station, the rest all staticy, and *did* get sound. So it would seem to me that the DTA remote is somehow causing the problem of no sound.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Have you tried the remote you used to control the tv to make sure that the MUTE button did not get pressed by accident?

Also try the MUTE button on the DTA.

Contributor

And you admit that accidentally pressing this LANG button can cause the sound to go out. So how do I fix this?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suppose it's possible that I muted it with the old remote, but now that remote won't function. I did try the mute/unmute function on the DTA remote.

Contributor

I suppose it's possible that I muted it with the old remote, but now that remote won't function. I did try the mute/unmute function on the DTA remote.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Use the remote that came with your TV, not any comcast remote, and set to channel 3, and un mute.

Then only use the remote that came with the DTA to change channels.

Contributor

The original remote for my TVhas a coin-type battery and may be out of juice. :smileysad:

Contributor

The remote for my AV receiver that I *was* using originally, does *not* mute the TV, only the receiver.

Contributor

And when I was using it, the sound was *on*, so before I used the DVT remote, I had sound.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

You will have to fix the TV remote. Sometimes the buttons on the front of the TV will let you do menu settings.

Contributor

*THE BUTTONS*!!! I have sound! So the cable remote controls cable volume, but not the TV volume directly.

Thank you so much for helping me! :smileyhappy:

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

You are welcome, glad it worked.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Nemea wrote: ... So the cable remote controls cable volume, but not the TV volume directly. ...

The DTA remote can probably control the TV volume if you program it to the set. If you're using a receiver the DTA remote might work, although receiver codes are harder to come by than TV codes.