Contributor

Picture freezing

I am having severe picture freezing while trying to watch TV. I've noticed a lot of other people on here are having the same problem. My cable box is a Motorola HD with no DVR. All of my cables have been replaced

so I really don't believe that to be the problem. Most of my problems seem to happen when it rains, it's damp or windy out. So I guess my question would be how do I get Comcast to check the lines at the poles in my neighborhood without having to rack up unnecessary service charges that I can't afford due to health issues?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Picture freezing

pixelation is a signal issue.  You say you had all the wiring in your house replaced? So from where the cable comes into your home to all the sets that's all new cable?  did comcast install that?  You might need a new line run from the pole.  If you had comcast out to do that wiring did they do a signal test to see how your strength was?  if it only happens as you say in bad weather then its probably something out on their end, they won't charge you if its their problem.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

What happened when you call Comcast support?  Did they offer to send out a tech?  That is what needs to happen.

If you have had multiple contact with Comcast support without resolution, then post back details and it can be escalated. 

If you have not contacted Comcast support you need to do that and insiste on a tech to come out to find and fix the signal issues.

Contributor

The line running from the pole to my house was checked 2 years ago when I had my HD and innernet hooked up. The line running from the box on the side of my house to the TV was replaced by my husband. I will call and see if I can get someone out to check the poles. Some people seem to have a really hard time with the service and I didn't want to get stuck in that loop without catching some ideas from all of you. Thanks for the Quick replies!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

It can be issues outside with the drop cable & fittings up to the side of the house, or upstream into Comcast's RF portion of the plant.

it also can be inside with too many splitters, old or wrong splitters, F connector issues, damaged coax cabling and other physical issues with the coax. 

The tech will have the proper test equipment to find and fix the issue.  Because the inside coax cabling is owned by the homeowner, you might be charged for any issues found inside with the wiring or if there is improper work done on the coax, fittings and spliters.  Equipment issues with the digital boxes are covered by Comcast. 

New Visitor
scottdf1808

I have the same issue and Comcast was out a couple months ago, replaced all the cable inside, as well as splitters and even used an expensive cable amplifier that I had purchased.  They also replaced the line from the pole to the house and we are still having issues with pixalization quite often, sunny, or rainy, doesn't matter.  Would like to know what you find out.

Regular Contributor
truerock2

Kimisue,

I've had the same problem with my Comcast service for years.  I recently started measuring the signal strength of my Comcast service at the "ground block" where the Comcast cable enters the outside wall of my home.  This was to eliminate the issue of whether the cable in my home was causing the problem.

The Comcast signal at my home varies from +2 dBmV to -6 dBmV.  I'm still trying to figure out what Comcast is doing in regard to poor signal strength and what it is that I can expect from them.

The problem you are having is very difficult to deal with.  Hopefuly your situation is just barely out of wack and Comcast can fix it by replacing a few cable fittings.  But, you apparently have recently installed cables and fittings.  If your signal readings are in the -16 dBmV and lower range then I would make a guess that your problem cannot be fixed by modifying or fixing the cable in your home.

Has Comcast installed an amplifier on your cable?

Contributor

update: After posting yesterday, I went to run some errands and when I got back with my daughter, all of my HD channels came in as clear as day one. A friend of mine a few streets over said that there was a Comcast truck on her neighborhood, and the tech was up on the pole working. Her entire street was having issues. So far my HD channels are great (after 24 hrs) but my SD channels are still flipping and freezing, though not as bad at before. Tomorrow, I plan to recheck all my coax in the house (which is one line that runs from the block to my TV) . I'm hoping we just missed something somewhere. I think Comcast should send people out to do regular maintenance on there relays and not rely so much on checking the status on a computer. That's what the company that ran our cable system before Comcast bought it used to do. Thanks to everyone who posted such helpful suggestions. You're the best!

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

---

Sorry about the issues you are having. Can you let me know if you are still experiencing any problems with your cable service.

Thank You
-Keisha-