New Visitor
Accepted Solution

Picture-in-picture: Xfinity

I just got the upgrade on one of my DVR;s and the picture-in-picture does not work.  Wondering why I only got it one DVR and not the other....hum

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Picture-in-picture: Xfinity

I believe that PIP used to work on some of the Scientific Atlanta DVRs, but a recent firmware mod may have disabled it.

New Visitor

I just hate that.  I use the PIP all the time.  I hope they change it.

thanks.

Contributor
edpolasko

I just got the upgrade today (3/3) and it disabled the PIP feature on my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR box.

Is there a fix to restore PIP functionality?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Not that has been reported.  It's possible that may change in the future.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Think of it as a reliability feature;  one less thing to break!  Or maybe Comcast will add the capability later

for a small fee???

Contributor
edpolasko

The Scientific Atlanta HD DVR box provided the PiP feature, not Comcast.  I called Comcast for technical support and the helpful tech put me on hold to research the PiP issue/consult with other techies. Bottom line from the Comcast rep was that the HD DVR box manufacturer, Scientific Atlanta, was responsible for the Pip feature, and Comcast could not "fix it". So, something in the Comcast update disabled the HD DVR box PiP feature...in other words the Comcast "upgrade" resulted in a downgrade of features for me and my family.

Also, did anyone know that a major upgrade was coming? Did any of Comcast's customers get prior notice?

I'm not happy with Comcast's rather roughshod treatment of it's customers.

New Visitor

Having same problem with the one of three DVR's which have gone through the Xfinity "upgrade??/downgrade??"

I also have found the aux input is also not functional, which really sucks as that is where we have plugged in our Wii.

Looks like someone at Comcast did not do a good job of testing this upgrade before releasing it.   Unfortunately, it seems to be a pretty pervasive philosophy throughout the industry.

I too hope they can come up with a fix sooner rather than later.

Contributor
edpolasko

Update from Albuquerque, where the 3/3 upgrade resulted in loss of PiP funtionality on the HD DVR Scientific Atlanta box I "rent" from Comcast:  The upgrade must have been "rolled back" sometime between 24 and 48 hours after the upgrade took place. My HD -DVR box now functions as it did before the upgrade.  PiP feature works and other buttons on the remote that changed functionality after the upgrade are also back to the way they always were. Don't know if Comcast undid the upgrade, revised the upgrade, or what. No news or notification from Comcast. The customer is only attended to when the company needs to get paid.. Company-to-customer communication is non-existent.

New Visitor
wchesney

I had the recent system change too  - March 3 - and my PIP feature has been disabled too.  Comcast hasn't been much help

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

PIP is gone, and the Comcast CSR's should certainly know about it and be able to tell their subscribers that.

If you haven't seen the details on the new guide for SA area's it is at this LINK

Contributor
edpolasko

Update from Albuquerque, where the 3/3 upgrade resulted in loss of PiP funtionality on the HD DVR Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 box I rent from Comcast, but was restored a day or two later when Comcast reversed the "upgrade". Well, the "upgrade" was rolled out again last night, and today 3/22, PiP functionality is dead. Is there any hope for restoring PiP? Anyone know anything, or do I call Comcast technical services and get told (again) that the DVR box manufacturer is my only hope?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

PIP is gone with I-Guide, at least for a while. 

Comcast Labs does not share their secret plans.

New Visitor

I have a Cisco RNG200 HD and a regular standard box and have also lost PIP (3/22).  I bet this is a way to increase their bandwidth.  Just another reason to switch providers.

New Visitor
leotx

One of my 2 DVR's has been upgraded and the PIP function of the hardware was turned off with the upgrade.  It worked well and I used it everyday.  Time to dump Comcast; this was an advertised feature.  My wife's DVR still has PIP; maybe some swapping of units when she is out shopping; she never uses PIP.

Regular Contributor
hyatis

We never had PIP here in colorado. Be thankful it ever worked at all.

New Visitor
leotx

Here is a list of the features that were removed with the software downgrade:

• Picture in Picture (PIP) for DVR customers
  • Sleep Timers
  • Ability to go back in time in TV Listings
  • Parental Control by Time
  • Ability to unlock ALL Parental Controls from a locked channel
  • Ability to skip to the end of a DVR recording
  • Auxiliary jacks on front of SA8300 set-top boxes
  • Browse by Theme
  • On Demand Search
  • A-B-C keys used throughout the guide
  • "Settings" button on the remote control
  • "Copy to VCR" function

Also I note that is not easy to switch on/off the closed captioning; have to go thru what seems like double the number of items to get to it.

Browse by theme is a big loss also; no longer can I browse for sci-fi programs.

Regular Contributor
hyatis

We never had most of those with the equip in colorado. sorry guys you are becoming like the rest of us.

Contributor
edpolasko

OK, so we lost significant features due to the latest Comcast "upgrade". What did we gain (if anything) from the "upgrade"? So far, I can't find any new "useful" features.

New Visitor
Ramdu

[ Edited ]

And there's no way to go "Back" in the OnDemand menu after looking at the info for a show.

leotx, your list should be in a sticky message at the top of the forum and as more 'lost features' are discovered, they should be added to the list.

Regular Contributor
hyatis

Use the last button on the remote. I hope those are still the same

New Visitor
lasersib

I have the Scientific Atlantic Box and just received my 'upgrade' unannounced' as you did. I had the same issue, had the box for a couple of years with a HD tv with all the pay channels. This is NOT an upgrade! I use PIP for sports and have for a very long time. If this is the 'new comcast' via their infinity product line, I will be switching very quick to Direct or Dish network! When I called the tech support, the lady had the guts to tell me it was impossible to have PIP without 2 turners, she basically called me a liar to my face when I explained nothing has changed other then the firmware/software upgrade they did in my area this week. I agree with all your comments and assessments, comcast treats it's customers with little respect or dignity.

Visitor

Those of us in SW Florida just were hoodwinked by Comcast or Xfinity or whatever they changed their name to, by losing the valuable PIP when they switched to their "improved" on screen TV Guide. No advance announcement or service charge reduction for losing this service. Calls to B. Evans in Ft Myers confirm this will NOT be reinstated.

Visitor

I am close to convincing our condo manager we should get rid of Comcast and enter into a new agreement for the building with a new provider. New companies are coming into the Naples/Ft Myers area. Good news!!

New Visitor
joshuag2

Add my vote for the new software sucks! The list of downgraded items is right on. And doubt those responsible care... With the obvious disadvantages, they would never had made this choice. Just shame on them...
Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

heres what comcast says about this.  If you have PIP on your tv you can still us it by splitting your cable when it comes in, and put one end to your box and the other to the tv, if you really want that feature.

Unfortunately, PIP functionality is a feature that is not supported in the new guide.
PIP is not currently on our feature roadmap. PIP was only ever available in our SA/Cisco DVRs. The PIP feature impacted a small percentage of our SA customers and an even smaller percentage (4%) of our overall customers; most of which have never had the PIP feature through their cable box. We did not make the decision to not retain the PIP feature lightly. The ability to keep this feature and incorporate it into phase one of the new guide would have significantly delayed this project and subsequent downstream projects even more - like the guide that we really want to get out in front of our customers later this year.

We also conducted extensive research around the importance of the PIP feature in the current guide and as a potential future feature in upcoming guides. In our on-going customer research, PIP continues to drop in ranking of importance of features that the majority of our current customers (and potential customers) use or want. PIP was only ever available with DVRs in our SA areas (a very small percentage).

I certainly understand that there is a passionate customer base for PIP. We also realize that there are some customers who will not be happy about this decision and even some customers who may choose another video service provider that offers the PIP feature.

A new feature that is available with the new guide is the Pause, Swap, Pause functionality, which allows a customer to pause a current program that they are watching (i.e. football game on one channel), swap tuners to another channel and watch the programming on that channel for five minutes, pause that channel and then swap back to the original channel (football game), which is still paused. Not meant to be a replacement for PIP, but a low tech full-screen alternative that may suffice in some cases.

New Visitor
su16

[ Edited ]

No, there was no advance notice that PIP would become disabled when they introduced the new interactive menu in my area. I am very displeased with Comcast. Did they even look into whether PIP was utilized by their customers.  Even after talking to 4 representatives at Comcast they last person tried to read me the Comcast guarantee. We both got a laugh from that.  I hate to say it, because I've always been pleased with Comcast, but I will be looking to leave Comcast for a provider that will allow me the use of PIP.  I use it most everyday.  Any suggestions as to who will allow PIP?

Even if I wasn't unhappy with the loss of PIP, I hate the new interactive menu.  It's awful.

New Visitor

Same thing happened to me and when I called Comcast, the first girl had no idea what I was talking about.  Called again and another girl sent signals to my box and still nothing. She said she would send someone out to look at it, but it would cost me.  I refused because we shouldn't have to pay to have something corrected that we are already paying for. I asked my son if he still had PIP and he said not since thet upgraded the boxes.  He called a friend who is a supervisor for Comcast and he was told that, right now, there is no fix for the PIP and Comcast knows this, but still will send techs to your house, just to collect the service call fees. What a rip off!!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

why comcast reps have no clue about this is unreal.  that function is gone, along with sleep timer, wake up, etc.  Those features are not coming back.  I am two guides ahead of yours and I dont and never did have those features, those features are only in the SA cisco market which compromises less than 20% of comcast customers. Those features were part of the box you had and since the rest of comcast customers never had those features and they needed to bring everyone up to the same format thats what happened.  If you have a dvr check all your series recording and shows to see if they are still there also.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

New Visitor
alphatero

I have experienced the same "downgrading" as everyone else on here. Along with series recordings that disappeared and TV listings that are full of "To be Announced". Calls to Comcast are met with bewildermeant, which is unacceptable and beyond annoying

I've been a Comcast customer for 20 years, but the installers are coming next week to install FIOS. Enough is enough.

New Visitor
mrdbcooper

We lost PIP in Virginia at 2am this morning...first they told me to reprogram the remote...took 2 hours of complaining to get the real answer...

New Visitor

PIP gone in Warrenton , VA.   This was an advertised feature.   Very DISPLEASED here. Satelite looking better all the time.

New Visitor
BG347

Very disappointed that we lost PIP feature. We used it everyday!
Visitor

The new on-screen guide is terrible. Whoever sold this to Xfinity management (formerly Comcast who decided to change their notorious name not their anti-consumer business practices) did not have our best interests in mind. Try going back in time on a viewing day...try surfing by Theme....can't do it with this "improved" guide. Not even mentioning the loss of PIP !!!!

New Visitor
mrdbcooper

HEY COMCAST/XFINITY: WE WANT PIP BACK NOW!!!!!

Come on folks, help me out here

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

To anyone interested. Below is a link to the Comcast blog on the new guide. Being a fellow customer I have no say on if they give back the features removed in the new guide, which I also have now. Since this is a customer to customer help forum and any of the Comcast employees that come on this site to help have little input to the new guide the link is the best spot for any official information on the new guide. Also has a spot for you to comment on or offer suggestions. Hope it helps.

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html#thankscomment38838

New Visitor
lkbk14

I looked up how to get PIP from Vizio.  You need a splitter. This is what I wrote down:

Wall to splitter (in)

#1  Splitter (out) to TV input

#2 to cable box

Only problem is that it says nothing about HDMI so I am totally confused. I imagine you lose HD clarity?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Picture-in-Picture (PIP) functionality was a feature that was available with the previous guide on our Scientific Atlanta (SA) and Cisco branded DVRs. I completely understand that this was a valuable core feature for you and some of our DVR customers. I was disappointed that we were not able to retain PIP in this guide.

Some televisions have a PIP feature built in. The new guide does not impact your television set's PIP functionality (if it has one). This link may help:

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/documents/pip_tv.pdf

You would need to also use the TV remote control to use and control the PIP display.

PIP was only available in our Scientific Atlanta (SA) and Cisco branded DVRs. The PIP feature impacted a small percentage of our SA-Cisco customers and an even smaller percentage of our overall customers; most of which have never had the PIP feature through their cable box.

We did not make the decision to not retain the PIP feature lightly. The ability to keep this feature and incorporate it into phase one of the new guide would have significantly delayed this project and subsequent downstream projects even more - like the new On Screen Guide 2.0 http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 that we have available now in several states. That guide is being more widely available in many Cisco areas in 2012.

We also conducted extensive research around the importance of the PIP feature in the current guide and as a potential future feature in upcoming guides.

PIP is not currently on our feature roadmap.

In our on-going customer research, PIP continues to drop in ranking of importance of features that the majority of our current customers (and potential customers) use or want. PIP was only ever available with DVRs in our SA areas (a very small percentage). I certainly understand that there is a passionate customer base for PIP. We also realize that there are some customers who are not happy about this decision.

A new feature that is available with the new guide is the Pause, Swap, Pause functionality, which allows a customer to pause a current program that they are watching (i.e. football game on one channel), swap tuners (using the Swap button at the bottom of the Comcast silver remote control) to another channel and watch the programming on that channel for five minutes, pause that channel and then swap back to the original channel (football game), which is still paused. It is not meant to be a replacement for PIP, but a low tech full-screen alternative that may suffice in some cases.

There are many more details on the new on-screen guide for customers with Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded cable boxes available here: http://www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

Contributor
replayx2

Am I correct in assuming that even with the PIP workarounds described above, this would only be fully functional if both channels were tuned to an (soon to be phased out) ANALOG signal? If either output of the splitter was a digital channnel, wouldn't both outputs need to be connected to a cable box or a DTA for the PIP feature to function?

I know I am confused.... and hope I'm wrong................

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The PIP mixing is done by the TV, but it should work with a mixture of analog and digital signals.

Contributor
replayx2

Yes, but....  according to the diagram supplied by ComcastTed

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/documents/pip_tv.pdf

and the instructions in the post previous to that,

one input is always fed to the TV (or VCR) directly from the wall outlet. Since I can't get anything but the very few available analog channels on that feed, how can I get digital reception on both sides of the splitter?

Contributor

A whole bunch of TALK!!

Bottom line is...................NO PIP!!  Another Comcast "up/DOWN grade!

Time for us PAYING customers to move to another provider who actually cares about the customer.

New Visitor
TonyD22655

[ Edited ]

I used PIP regularly. The 2 input "theory" would have worked until the idiots decided to go all digital. Now what? I'll need to rent 2 cable boxes??? I think not. 

We can all thank Ronald Regan for deregulating the cable industry for the current pricing and service level.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

TonyD22655 wrote:

I used PIP regularly. The 2 input "theory" would have worked until the idiots decided to go all digital. Now what? I'll need to rent 2 cable boxes??? I think not. 

Not sure where you are located geographically but in most all Comcast areas you should now be able to get a free DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) to accommodate a PIP set up - details on how to obtain this equipment is at the link below:

https://digitalnow.comcast.com/

Contributor
txleo

The original PIP was done in the DVR, with no need to have PIP capability in the TV/monitor.  Using a DTA to "accomodate" PIP would require that feature in the TV.... or maybe duct taping a small separate TV to the big screen with its input coming from the DTA and the big screen coming from the DVR.  Also the DTA's provide only partial channel coverage even of the SD channels.  I have 2 DTA's, 2 HD-DVR's and a SD set top converter, and many non-HD channels are just not available on the DTA's, some of which were formerly basic cable channels.

Contributor

Charlottesville VA here.

The "free" solution you suggest (free DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) to accommodate a PIP set up) is NOT FREE I was told.......There is a monthly charge.......Is that correct that there is a charge??

Contributor
txleo

That part of the message was correct. Mine were indeed free, no monthly charge, no shipping charge.  I think they limit a customer to 2 DTA's; there may be a charge for more than 2.

Contributor

Hi....I appreciate your comments,,,,,,,,sure more than I get from COMCAST.......as in nothing.

As I have a DVR already installed on the set I want the PIP on, I am still not sure how the DTA would help that??

Plus, I only have 2 TV's and they still told me I would have a monthly charge for a  DTA in addition to my DVR.

Thanks again

New Visitor
Geneman66

My old 34" Sony XBR had picture and picture.  I upgraded to a 42" for the sole reason of getting a bigger PIP.  Now I find out that it doesn't work anymore and never will again!!!!!  That just sucks!