New Visitor
chbjMV
Accepted Solution

Picture tiling/pixelation/freeze and loss of sound in the evenings

I became a Comcast customer 2 weeks ago. Last week Thursday and Friday evening the picture on all channels except 703 started tiling/freezing and the sound disappeared. The next morning and during the day everything is fine. The same happened last night. Both times I chatted with support and the person last night suggested the DVR/cable box was bad. I exchanged it today. Still the same problem.

I am not used to this from the satellite provider I had before. I am still within the 30 days money back guarantee from Comcast and am close to cancelling since the support people obviously have no idea how to fix it.

I saw some posts on similar issues, but no suggestion on how to actually go about getting this resolved. A technician coming during the day won't see the problem. 

I have a Motorola 3416. I also have high speed internet through the same physical connection and that does not show any problems.

What do I do?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Picture tiling/pixelation/freeze and loss of sound in the evenings

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and notify the local group.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team next business week.

Visitor

I would say good luck with that one. I have had the same problem since the digital started. I have had entrance cables replaced several times, cable ends replaced and cable boxes power reset by online tech.

I still have the problem. You never know when it will strike, but it seems to be usually at night but has started it during the daytime. None of my neighbors are experiencing this problem. All four of my tvs are doing the same thing. I have connected the service cable directly to the cable box on the tv and get the same problems. I have a main power booster attached but it does the same thing whether it is connected or not. It drivesme crazy, and every time I call I get the same stupid questions about loose connections, try resetting the boxes ( done that a hundred times). I wish there was a good plan B but I don't like the dish solution so I guess I will remain a victim until they fix the problem. Oh, every tech tells me the problen is at the street and that someone will check it out and inform me of the results, heard this several time and have never seen or heard from Comcast  about checking it. So far, nothing good to say about Comcast. ..and thy want me to upgrade my service...what a JOKE!!!

New Visitor

This drives me crazy....I just called about this again and they wanted to send someone out ....someone was just out on Tuesday.  I sure wish they would get this fixed.  I pay $170 a month for awful digital tv.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

chbjMV, leakypan and dwmyrick
Sorry about the issues that you are experiencing with your cable services. Here are some helpful suggestions to try.
1. Check the connections and make sure that they re tight and secure on the back of the box. Unplug the cable in coax cord and very that the wire isn't damaged. Plug it back in tight and secure.
2. If you have a splitter check the connections as well and make sure they are tight and secure. If you don't have a splitter make sure that the connection from the wall is tight and secure.
3. Unplug your box from the wall outlet and leave it unplugged for 2 mins. Allow time for the box to fully restore and reboot your guide and ondemand will take up to 45minutes to fully restore. 

****In the meantime I have escalated all your issues and someone will be in contact with you soon to work towards resolving these issues for you.

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
chbjMV

Thank you Keisha.

I tried all of these things a number of time. 

To make things worse the problem didn't go away at all today during the day.

Two more observations:

1. It appears that when I first turn on the DVR there is minor tiling and freezing. After about 10-20 seconds it starts getting progressively worse until there is no more sound and the picture resembles abstract art.

2. Shows recorded and played back behave very strangely. When you set it to fast forward (FFW1 - FFW4) the recording does not forward, just continues to play the tiled picture without sound at the regular speed, even though the DVR displays "FFW"

Looking forward to get some competent technical help.

New Visitor
chbjMV

I waited a bit to post this to see how things were going. Last Saturday evening a Comcast technician came by and worked on my problem inside and outside of my apartment. He did find some wiring issues and replaced the faulty wires and connectors.

As of today the problem has not come back. I am hopeful that my issue has been successfully resolved.

During the last two weeks I also received frequent calls from Comcast to check on the status of my issue. 

I must say I am pleasantly surprised with the service I received after posting my concern on this forum.

Visitor

The same day and the next day Comcast contacted me and advised me of their concern about my problem.

They wanted to send a tech out to my house to check on the pixelation problem. The technician arrived at the scheduled time and after the same explanation that I had given other techs, checked the house and finding no nothing wrong said the problem must be at the box in the street. This the same thing the other techs who have come out and said in the past.  He went out to the street box and when he moved the unit inside the cover, my wife came outside and said the tv just went crazy. He tightened some cables fitting and checked some more

with his meter and concluded that the unit was bad. Not the first time I heard that story and had been told on previous occasions that some one "ELSE" would be out to check it. That never happened to my knowledge and here is why I say that. Both he and the technician who showed up the next day said that the unit was the old style that they haven't used in years. They said our neighborhood system was old and overloaded. I asked why they didn't fix that problem and was told that it was not economically feasible.  Anyway to end the story, the tech replaced the unit and I have not had one case of pixelation since then. My thanks to Comcast for fixing the finally problem...which wasn't loose connections.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

--

Thank you for following up. I am glad that your service is up and running properly.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

---

Thank you for following up. I am glad to know that your issues have all been resolved.

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
572cuda

mine does the same thing picture gets pixelated then the sound goes out for a few seconds some times the sound will go out and won't come back until I change channel and go back. It can work fine for a couple nights then it starts in  again. It's way worse on the hd box than other boxes will do it but not as bad.

New Visitor

I don't know who is taking care of this site...........but you Rock.  Right after I posted I Comcast was calling me, even on a Sunday to come out to my house.  We finally got our dates together and I met with them on a Tuesday...........they checked all the cable in my house..........they said that the cable was very old and that was probably the problem the the freezing up.  The young man here replaced the end on the cable that connects to my DVR.  It was original 1980's.  It has worked just fine after that.  Another young man  came out today and ran new cable throughout the house.  I am keeping my fingers crossed..............things are looking good right now.

I was told to buy a modem for my internet instead of paying rent...........I just got one in.........I will install it tomorrow and we will see how that goes....................Sure hope it is good!

thank you for finally getting a clear picture after a year or two.

Debbie

New Visitor
GreeenBE

We are running into the same problem but on only one channel.

The Travel Channel..

It seems strange that it is only affecting one channel.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

--

Sorry about the issues you are having. I show that we have a technician schedule to repair this issue on 10/25/2011 . If you require more assistance Please let me know. 

Thank You
-Keisha-
Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

----

Sorry about the issues you are having with The travel channel.

I have escalated this issue and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
jhaddrill

I am really wondering what is going on with the cable. It seems like a lot of people are having the same issues. I do not know where everyone else is from, but, it would be interesting to know if we are near the same areas. I have been having pixalation for over a month now. They have added amplifiers, changed splitters. A specialty company came out and replaced a wire on one of my tvs. We have also heard the story about antiquated equip. You woul think as expensive as the services are we could get up to date equip. We are not happy at all with the product. The service I have to say has been more than adequate, but the problem remains unresolved.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

pixelation is always most likely a signal issue.  check with your neighbors that have comast and see if they are having the same issues, if they are not its not a comcast issue.  you need a tech out to check signal strength and check splitters and so fourth.  I was having a problem last month with getting an Sa00 code on a lot of channels I called scheduled a tech visit and as soon as he showed up not even going in my house he said you need a new drop from the pole, he did that changed out my splitters and i am good no problems.  This of course is different where you live.  I live in a well off community and comcast knows fios and dish are here so they bend over backwards I can't vouch for the rest of the country.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

---

Sorry about the issues you are having. I have escalated the problems with your cable service. Someone will be in touch with you soon.

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
572cuda

they came out tuesday said my signal was low they would call mainenance, there was a truck right up the street. A truck pulled up at the end of the driveway pulled the box apart and left, never said nothing. So the next day we called they said there was a ticket in and they would fix it by friday. We called this morning and they said they have no record of it and they would send someone out on tuesday again. Great service NOT! Yes I have been in service for 32 years and it's called follow up. when i walk out the door and haven't fixed it i call back to make sure someone else did there job to fix it. It's called customer satisfaction.

New Visitor
s0nyab

We have been having this same problem for about 2 weeks now. We had someone come to fix the internet about 1.5/2 months ago, when he came he redid all the inside connections so I'm positive the problem is not within the house. We have this problem all day long, not just during the night. How can we fix it??

New Visitor
ccncgc34

Having the same problem. Inane it pic and mostly no sound. Followed instructions given on forum about checking connections, turning off, etc. Not fixing the problem. Already had to change out the first box but this one is supposed to be new. Tried to call but mobile web number not working. It sounds like this could be a real pain.
Visitor
rhyme

same problem here!!! started thursday night. driving us nuts. please help. comes and goes tried replacing spliters etc etc etc. I have to have a booster because our signal is so low and it always has been. 

Visitor
rhyme

email says someone has reviewed and responded to my post but I do not see anything?

New Visitor
FrustratedinDra

You just described my problem and interactions with the Comcast techs and outside maintainence techs. As I search the internet it appears that this freezing/pixelation/tiling/sound loss issue is rampant accross the Comcast network.  I am so frustrated with this issue which has been occuring since June 2011 in my house. I have had everything replaced from the pole to the TV. Every wire, every box, every connector, EVERYTHING. While the techs are always polite, I rarely see the same tech twice so consequently they never know the history and I must constantly explain the issue over and over to every new one that comes. One guy will put in an amplifier, the next will remove it. One will say it is at the street, the next will say the street has no issues. Too bad the cable service is so poor. Things were so much nicer before HD. Everything actually worked.

Contributor
help-me-please

All who have had this tiling issue, keep calling Comcast.  It took me 7 months to get my issue fixed.  7 months worth of calling once a week, not a single person returned a phone call, and then, one magical day the heaven smiled upon me.  A storm blew in and killed service for the whole neighborhood.  As it turns out, it took 7 months for them to find it wasn't the cabling in my house, my neighbor's house, and the entire neighborhood, but the pole at the top of the road.  Once they replaced it because the storm destroyed it, we all have had very few issues since.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have same problem, I recently moved from Chicago to Miami, I had Comcast TV and internet for 8 years. Since I moved I have nothing but problems with my TV, picture pixilation, black outs on both DVR Cisco boxes in my house. Problem persists for 3 months now, and I had 11 technicians in my house and on "street", replacing connectors, splitters, cable and nothing!!!!!!  Since signal levels are good, they can't find anything else. last Tech told me that major HUB or NOD might be bad and they can't do anything about it.

New Visitor
kaoa

We have had the same problem with picture tiling/pixelation/freeze and no sound.  We have had a technician here 8 times since January, 2012.  We are on our third cable box.  Most of my neighbors have the same problem.  I have a relative 300 miles from me who has comcast cable and he has the same problem.  It seems to be a comcast feed problem and it doesn't look like they are interested in fixing the problem since the complaints continue to be posted.  Next step, verizon or direct tv.

Contributor
lieutjenn

If you are using HDMI cables, try switching to Composite. Seems to have solved our problems with pixelation and audio & video dropouts.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Composite cables are not HD, the answer should be to try component cables.

Composite is the old SD video yellow for video, red & white for audio.  Composite only does 480 resolution.

Contributor
lieutjenn

Oops, component, my bad!
New Visitor
Jkdrummer

I'm having the Exact same problem!! Picture tiles and pixelates so bad at times I have to turn the TV off. This is a three month issue of me dealing with customer service, three different technicians. I've had all the ends, cables, splitters checked. Had the box replaced but still no fix. All three technicians said everything in the house is fine and that there was an issue on the pole. A maintenance issue. Someone was supposed to come out and look at that but I dont know if they ever did. Yesterday I called customer service hoping to talk to a supervisor about this. I was told one would call me today which never happened. I called and was passed around on the phone for an hour. I actually refused to hang up until I spoke with someone who could figure this garbage out. All they were gonna do was setup another tech appointment. Finally I got ahold of someone who seemed to know what they were talking about. They said a supervisor tech would be contacting me tomorrow to come out to the street to get to the bottom of the problem. We'll see! Im out of patience and sick of paying for something that doesn't work.
New Visitor
NeeNeeB

I am so glad to see so many people with the same issue. Dealing with a puppy and her big brother who, like children, teases her relentlessly I look forward to their bedtime so I can sink into a good show or movie and all I'm getting is tiling. We have a tech coming - ON THURSDAY - omg - You don't want to be around me until Thursday. This has happened before and we have a few ideas what it is but if we don't get a tech who knows what he/she is doing we're screwed. I have a feeling we won't because when I called in one of the things the guy said was to put all my valuables away. I don't remember being told that in the past. I'm not in a very good mood...

New Visitor
NeeNeeB

[ Edited ]

Jhaddrill - Wait - do we live in the same house? lol Same here with all the gadgets.

New Visitor
mainebabe

Same problems here - have had 5 new boxes over the last year+, new cable connection, etc. - nothing works and none of the phone service people or techs that come to the house have a clue.  Just found this Forum yesterday and   read a response from a Comcast rep  that if you have a Cisco RNG200, its a software problem that they are working on (I had the problem before I got my Cisco box). Now that I know other people are having the same problem (when you call, its like they never heard of the problem) hopefully someone is working on it - Good luck to us all! 

New Visitor
Gatsby13

I feel really relieved to see I'm not the only one encountering so many problems surrounding this issue. I live in a basement apartment in SE and have contacted Comcast (via Chat) multiple times about this, and it seems to be the same suggestion each time -- check the cables and unplug/replug the box. The problem seems to be getting worse and worse, and it *never* fails to happen in the evenings during my favorite prime-time programs. Pretty sure it's time I get a technician out to review the set-up and see what they think is going on! It's so frustrating....

New Visitor
nadiahawaii

I've done all the recommendations to remedy this problem.  I've tried unplugging, turning the box off, tightening the connectors, etc.  Nothing works.  Should I just trade in my box?

New Visitor
DCBill

I experience these same problems intermittently and cannot find a pattern.  I've had the same 'wiring' (from pole to house and interior) since Comcast's predecessor District Cablevision installed everything in 1985.  I haven't changed anything except to upgrade to Comcast's digital (both on-demand type & basic) boxes.  I was trying to watch the Olympics on Sunday morning and the 'shredding'/pixalization was bad I switched to over-the-air digital (e.g., roof top antenna).  I have checked with several neighbors whose service comes from the same pole but they don't have problems.  I'm wondering if there are old 'filters' or something still out at the pole left over from the old analog days.

Since I haven't changed anything, I'm unwilling to pay for a customer service visit.  I think I'll keep a log of these interruptions and then call Comcast with a service request.

It is very frustrating considering how much rely on TV/internet service these days.

New Visitor
gmanhr

Same problem. Calling customer support was a waste of time. Kept blaming the equipment or cable inside the house. Did not do anything. Finally got them to send out a repair tech. Probably won't waste my time any more waiting for him to show up. Will let him troubleshoot outside the house for now.

New Visitor
gmanhr

What? Pay for a service tech to come out? To fix their problem? Fuggetaboutit! Canceling service real soon.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Subscribers are not charged for outside issues or equipment issues.

Since the inside wiring is owned by the homeowner just as plumbing, electric and inside phone wiring, then there would be charges for inside wiring issues unless you pay for the wiring maintenance plan.

Visitor

Keep after them. See "Leakypan" 10/08/2011 above. They hated to admit it was old faulty equiptment, but that is exactly what it was. Had to really convience the tech that it was at the box. It wasn't until he was fooling with the wires and my wife came out and said it was messing up at the same time. They replaced the connector panel (or whatever they called it) and the problem was fixed. Simply amazing!!!!!! Good luck!!

Regular Contributor
shiprider

Read this entire thread, I unfortunately live in a neighborhood where there is only Comcast & Satellite.  Don't want a dish as they have their own set of problems and are markedly affected by weather.  I too have had pixilated, frozen sound loss ever since I got the fancy HD cable box.  First I went through a years worth of messed up internet until they finally replaced the thirty year old cable from the box to the house, shame I replaced my modem and router first on Comcast advice. I  Pay for high definition digital TV but can't watch it,  have to watch the same old channels that I get on my "cheap" little boxes.  Comcast service techs have been a real thrill too,  when I have to have a tech come out I tell them if they send one of their contractors I won't let them in.  I've been treated to drunks, people who speak no english, one who was in this country 6 weeks (just long enough to take a 6 week technician course), I've had contractor techs tell me flat out that the last guy they changed the wire ends for gave them a nice tip and they expected the same from me, I've even had one of these guys tell me the frequency of my wires was wrong and the whole house would need to be redone at my expense, wires don't have frfequency.  There is a signal amp in and still the problem,  I have 22 years as a Navy Electronics Tech and a masters in Information Systems problem is low signal strength and the most likely cause is the thirty year old connection block in a street box that has been busted open for years and exposed to weather, insects and animals and is probably corroded internally.  But Comcast has a county granted monopoly so they neither have to be competent or responsive.  Boy I wish I had a choice.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Post by hng2 removed for violating posting guidelines.

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

New Visitor
MGolden

Keisha,

My husband and I are having the same issues.  Is it possible to pass our info along and get the same response as the rest of the folks on this thread?  We have had quite a bit of pixelation/tiling/freezing and loss of sound on our HD/DVR.  We're now getting it on our other TVs as well and are quite concerned that they'll end up at the same point that our HD/DVR box is.  Its extremely difficult to watch anything on this TV because of this problem.

I have pictures of the problem that I can send if that helps.  However, the explanations listed on this thread have been spot on to what we're seeing.  If you tell me where to send them, I will.

Thanks,

MGolden

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Keisha's long gone from here.  You can email to we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

New Visitor
rtodd1977

I had Comcast installed a week ago and I am too having the same problems as the others have mentioned. My picture looks chopped up and the sound goes in and out.

New Visitor
New Visitor
QZH

I have a pixelation isue on one HD tv in the house but not the other.

Regular Contributor
truerock2

I suggest you check the CATV signal strength at your DVR.

For Cisco and Scientific Atlanta DVRs:

Turn your TV on

Turn your DVR off

On the Comcast DVR remote push the "Help" button

For Motorola DVRs:

1. Turn TV on

2. Turn DVR on

3. Press Cable, Power off, ok/Select

If the signal strength iis -9 dBmV or less, your signal is too weak. If it is -18 dBmV or less it is probably causing your problem.

Regular Contributor
shiprider

I went out and spent $29.95 on a radio shack cable signal amplifier, it goes in line, while it has not gotten rid of 100% of the pixilation, loss of sound and freeze,I would say I'm at a 95 -98 % solution.  It has made it very tolerable, I have actually been able to watch two or three hours of prime time HD Digital TV with only one or two very short instances of the problem.  Since Comcast doesn't seem to understand the idea of adequate signal strength nor do they appear interested in dealing with the problem,ya gotta help yourself.

Shiprider

New Visitor
Rand_p

Hadsimilar issues over the last couple weeks..read some of the entries ...started moving my Cable box to check the connections  and noticed the picture cutting out. Replaced the HDMI cable with a different HDMI and  every pixelation issue magically disappeared.