Regular Contributor

Please Help (Motorola DCH3200)

[ Edited ]

I've been using this box for approximately the last 2.5 months and it's worked very very well.  Within the last 20 minutes I was watching a program and all of a sudden the screen went black and my TV read "No Signal".  When I looked down at the box it said "8888" and then that went off and a small clock icon started to blink.  Now the channel is back up and the box reads the current channel number (I had the box setting set to show the time on the front of the display).  The only way I can change channels now is to hit channel +/- on the remote.  When I try to access any menu or the channel guide a small clock blinks then promptly disappears but I am unable to access any menu or the channel guide.  I've tried turning the box on and off but that doesn't help.  Could something be downloading seeing how it's the middle of the night?  Again, I've never had any problems with this box and have been very happy with it but now I'm beginning to wonder what's wrong or what's going on with it.

Thanks for the help.

* Update * (1:02AM):

The display on the front of the box just went black and then the "8888" message came on again then it went black again.  Again, the TV displayed "No Signal".  Then shortly after that the time clock briefly came up on the display and then disappeared again.  Then "dul" came up.  I've never seen that on the display either.  Then despite having a black screen the "No Signal" disappeared which makes me think the box was sending some sort of signal to the TV even though I had no picture or sound.  I changed channels using the channel +/- buttons on the remote and the picture was finally restored.  I'm still unable to access any menu or the channel guide.  Basically any commend I give via the remote yields no results except for a clock icon which flashes then disappears from the display on the box.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Please Help (Motorola DCH3200)

This is the time of night updates come down to the boxes, especially if your in eastern time.  Give it to morning.  There are area's getting A28 guide updates, so you might be one of them.

Don't unplug it, or it might turn into a brick, then you will need to swap it out.

Regular Contributor

Wow thanks for the prompt reply!  See my post above for an update on the situation.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

*Update* (1:07AM):

I'm in the central time zone.  I'm sure glad I didn't brick it by unplugging the unit's power cord!  :smileywink:

Things seem to be back to normal now!  I can even access my guide!  When I try to access the guide it says: "To be anounced" in all time slots on all channels.  When I try to access my favorites I get a message stating "No Listings Available"  Does this mean that my favorites list has been lost?  When I try to access the menu it says, "One Moment Please This Feature is being restored and will be available shortly.  Thank you for your patience."  The time is also once again displayed on the unit's display which is what I originally had it set to do.

Finally, what is an "A28 guide update"?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Hopefully it will fully return to normal, I forgot you were in MN.  The du1 is really supposed to mean DVI which is the HDMI handshaking message.  I am figuring you really have a DCX3200 HD set top box with the black front bezel.

When it is downloading, it usually shows dl or some form of it.

It certainly must have rebooted.  If you got A28, you will get the "watch in HD" prompt with the new guide features once the listings restore.

Regular Contributor

JayInAlg wrote:

Hopefully it will fully return to normal, I forgot you were in MN.  The du1 is really supposed to mean DVI which is the HDMI handshaking message.  I am figuring you really have a DCX3200 HD set top box with the black front bezel.

When it is downloading, it usually shows dl or some form of it.

It could be but I just now checked the unit again and it says "DCH3200" on the front of the unit.  It's definately an HD receiver though.  The box is plugged into my HDTV via HDMI cable.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

OK on the DCH3200, a rare box indeed.

Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot for the very prompt help and replies!  So nice to get the help and most of all see that someone cares to help others out!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Ask anytime, plenty of us here to help.

Regular Contributor

Well my favorites list last night seemed to be messed up so I deleted it and re-made it.  Today when I turned on the TV there was duplicate channels in the favorites list.  The channels were the same channel however they had different channel numbers (channels in the 200s and the same channel in the 800s).  Any idea what casused this?  Also, the total amount of favorites in my favorite list is incorrect.  It says I have 37 however I have over 60.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

In many markets Comcast is moving channel's around, some area's HD are going into the 800's.  The duplication is only tempoary, probably for a few months while subscribers get used to the new channel locations.  The original postions will go away eventually, so if you are setting up favorites, use the new channels.

Regular Contributor

I figured that the new channel numbers would be in the 800s based off the letter I received from Comcast about my HD service.  I just don't understand why my favorites would have been messed up and why the duplicate channels would have been seemingly added automatcally nor can I figure out why my favorites list says it contains 37 channels when it has over 60 in it as I just counted them all.

Contributor

Not sure if its just the 3200, I have 3 of them here, and sadly the A28 guide software is garbage to be nice.  I've traded out for RNG110's and actually had more issues with those units, and finally got new 3200's.  When they upgraded the software, I lost all my favs and had to reset them on all the boxes.  I've noticed quirks in looking for program information too. 

For example, channel 2, 5, 7, 12, 56, 516 are all in my favs.  so I pull up favs, and scroll down to say 56, pull up info on it, in returning to the listing, the guide will place me at either channel 2, the channel I was watching or a random channel in the fav list, never putting me back to the channel I pulled up the info on.  

Also, if I go to channel 516 in my favs, then hit the fav button to come out of my favs to view the programs around it, the guide now resets me to the first channel in the guide.

Remotes are having alot of issues, where they don't seem to be communicating with the box as easily as they did prior to A28.  Even with brand new batteries, sometimes it takes multiple tries to get a response between the remote and STB.

Honestly, it sounds like a full reset of the unit might be the only way to clear the memory, if that doesnt help, you may have to have the unit(s) replaced.

Good luck, I just hope you don't experience the same issues I have.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

sporati

The original A28 had the issues you mentioned.  Comcast is now rolling out a service release of A28 that fixes many of those issues.  Area's that never got A28 recently are getting the new version.  My box with A28 upgraded in April hasn't gotten the service release yet.

I'd like to know what A28 version you have, and if your 3200 is a DCH3200 or a DCX3200.

You can find your version by pressing these on your Comcast remote.

menu

menu

setup

cable box setup

scroll down to configuration and press OK

the s/w version line will show what's on the box.

The one that ends in r-8 is the latest service release.

Contributor

dch 3200

78.44 a28p0-2.0908.r-4

It's good to hear that they are actually rolling out a revision.  I just hope that the roll out comes soon and actually corrects the issues, finding a show to watch has become rather tedious.

Thanks for the info

Regular Contributor

"OK on the DCH3200, a rare box indeed."

I have the same box. Why is it rare, and is that good or bad? I believe every time an update is sent, it could possibly mess up your favorites list. I have the same problem of occasionally finding my favorites list messed up when I first turn everything on for the day. I only put HD channels from the 800 section on my list but sometimes find channels from the 200 section added and some channels removed.

Regular Contributor

This morning I find that there is a single " - " on the display and the unit will not turn on.  When I try to turn the TV on the display indicates that it's trying to handshake with the TV but the TV displays "No Signal" and the box is unresponsive.  What should I do?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Many HDMI handshaking issues can be resolved by unplugging all the equipment including the TV, set top box and any other equipment in the HDMI chain.

Give it a few minutes, power up the TV first, then the other devices, and finally the set top box.

Regular Contributor

After reading about people inadvertently bricking their boxes I was a bit worried about just unplugging everything.  I utilized the Live Chat feature and was instructed to first check all connections and then I was told to unplug the box and wait 10 seconds.  After waiting at least 10 seconds I plugged the box back in and a dot started to blink towards the top of the display.  Shortly after that the dash reappeared for a short time and then the time from the clock was incorrectly displayed on the display.  Shortly after that the time automatically adjusted itself to the correct time and I was able to power up the cable box and the picture worked perfectly as it has always done since receiving this box with my upgraded service back in May 2010.

I thought maybe there were some updates trying to download or install since this issue started sometime overnight?  Any idea what was going on?  The rep did not seem to know or did not choose to share what he thought had happened because I received some sort of generic response when I asked about it.  Anyway, it seems to be working just fine again now.