Contributor
Contributor
LZR
Accepted Solution

Problems with Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD

Earlier today, my SA Explorer 8300HD died:  it kept turning itself off an on and wouldn't sustain any programming. So, I exchanged it at my local Comcast office. I received a *refurbished* 8300HD, not a new one as I requested.

When I connected the new DVR and programmed the Xfinity remote, I had picture but no sound. I called Comcast and spent an hour on the phone with a helpful rep who could not fix the problem. She did have me unlock the volume control on the Xfinity remote. No, the Xfinity remote did not mute the sound, nor did the TV's remote. (FYI, this is a Samsung plasma TV.)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have a service appointment tomorrow, but I'd like to figure this out now if possible.

BTW, Comcast's refurbished equipment is truly horrible. I am convinced no one does quality control on that equipment.

TIA.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Problems with Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD

The 8300's are all refurb's, they haven't made them in years.

If the tech can't get you fixed up, then post back afterward to get it escalated.

Regular Contributor

Not sure if this appllies to your problem, but after getting the new Guide I had a similar problem with my TVs.  Both DVRs are connected via coax S/PDIF OUT to AV receivers, and HDMI through switches (one standalone, one built into the AVR) to the TVs.  It is necessary to do the following:

Menu-Menu

Setup

Audio Setup

HDMI Audio Output = OFF

You could also say No Compression, leave Stereo Output at "Matrix" and Optimize Audio, though these settings shouldn't affect audio being sent through S/PDIF OUT.  That got sound going for me.  This procedure is documented in the new SA Guide FAQ.

OTOH, if you're not using S/PDIF OUT to an AVR, those three steps might solve your problem.

HTH.

Contributor
Contributor
LZR

Well, if the 8300s are no longer made, then why on Earth is Comcast still issuing them? Looks I should demand a brand new DVR unit. Thanks.

Contributor
Contributor
LZR

My TV is not connected to stand-alone AV receivers, but I am going to try navigating the menu to see if that solves the problem. I'll be back. Thanks for the instructions.

Regular Contributor

re: 8300HDs... gotta figure it was pure cost/benefit analysis.  Cheaper to stick a new HDD in 'em and click a few buttons/type a few commands to install the latest image (well, reverse those steps, actually).  That's a cheap setup, and buying HDDs in bulk is cheap, too.  'dd' is their (free) friend ;-)  I never wanted to be switched to a Moto box, and I'm hoping some functionality will be restored.  I don't expect to ever see the newer Cisco versions of the 8300HD.  Well, maybe in five years.  Living in a virtual forest in the middle of VA, my options are limited to... Comcast ;-)

re: instructions, NP.  Hope you get it sorted.  Do post a follow-up.

Contributor
Contributor
LZR

Sancho12,

You're instructions were perfect. For some dumb reason, the DVR set the HDMI audio output to off. Dumbest. Thing. Ever.

TV is fine now, and I get to cancel my appt for tomorrow. ::clapping:: 

Thanks so much! :smileygrin:

Regular Contributor

Excellent!  Glad to have helped.  Odd, since mine was set to ON and had to be turned off.  I reckon there's a bit of a learning curve/adjustment period with this new Guide.  Canceling Comcast appts is always a good thing :-)

Now if I could just remember the name of that awesome 4-tuner PC card that works with a multistream cable card to turn a PC into the ultimate DVR.... no, I'm not joking.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Possibly this one?

Ceton Infinitv4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card

Regular Contributor

Ceton!  yep, that's the one.  Drooled over that months ago.  Just built a new Windows 7 rig, so the drooling has recommenced ;-)

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Your welcome

New Visitor
Bjmonvineyard

I just want to say thank you. Two weeks ago I purchased a new Samsung plasma TV, upgraded my Comcast cable box and had no audio. I first exchanged the cabe box but the problem continued. I have been on the phone with Samsung since then trying to get a technician to my remote location.
Tonight I went online and found the advice you gave someone a year ago, and my problem was resolved. You saved me quite a bit of aggregation. Thanks again.
New Visitor
charleswalthall

I wanted to add my 2 cents about the Explorer 8300 HD. I added Infinity HD about 3 years ago and I have had problems with my Explorer 8300 HD ever since. I knew from the beat up looks that the box was definitely used and not refurbished. When I changed channels the picture would distort and sometimes the system would freeze up. Finally, the Explorer DVR stopped recording and I lost all of my saved DVR programs.

I called and the box was replaced with a refurbished Cisco RNG200N. The difference in the two boxes (besides the problems) was immediately seen. The color, and clarity was 10 times better than the     Explorer 8300 HD. What's annoying about this is that I've been stuck with the problems and poor quality of the Explorer 8300 HD without even knowing (or more importantly) informed that a superior DVR was available. I had to wait until it quit working.

Now I know that I should have complained but as I stated I wasn't aware that a superior box was available to me. The service representative said that the Explorer 8300 HD was the first generation DVR boxes.

So.... if you have a Explorer 8300 HD call and get it replaced with one of the new generation DVR Boxes, you'll appreciate the improvement.