Visitor
kreed987

Programming Comcast remote to tv and PS3

Hi everyone,

I just got a DVR box for my room and installed it with no problem and got the remote to program to turn the cable box on, but I couldn't and still can't get the remote to program it for the actual tv and the tv/video mode. Can someone PLEASE help me? I have a Symphonic tv, not LCD, just standard. I tried talking to the Live Agent, but she was unable to help me with it.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

Re: Programming Comcast remote to tv and PS3

Your description is a little vague and we lose you in reference to your equipment, what piece of equipment specifically you can NOT program with the remote?

I'm guessing, from what little you've said, that you ran coax from the wall to the STB, from the STB to the DVR and then from the DVR to the TV.

The STB only tunes one channel and then send it out as one channel over the coax.  So your DVR only see the signal coming in as one channel.  You need to read up in the manual of the DVR on how to make it work with a STB.  You need to use an "IR Blaster" to act like a remote control being controlled by the DVR to tell the STB to channel, this will require the DVR is setup differently as well, it needs to know that its connected to a STB and it has to use its IR blaster to make the STB channel, so that it can get more than one channel.

Once the DVR figures out how many channels it can make the STB pump over the COAX to it, then you'll probably be able to setup your channels and guide.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

[ Edited ]

Mongo53e wrote:

I'm guessing, from what little you've said, that you ran coax from the wall to the STB, from the STB to the DVR and then from the DVR to the TV.

There was no mention of any cable box other than the DVR.  Don't unnecessarily confuse the issue.

New Visitor
BillyFremont

Check out my post of a few minutes ago and see if it helps you, providing your TV manufacturer has a website.  Good Luck.

Billy Fremont

Visitor
kreed987

I have a standard DVR. I ran was able to get the Comcast remote programmed to the DVR, but, I cannot program the remote to turn the volume up. I can only use the remote to change the channels. I cannot get it to program the remote so that I can switch over to video or to turn up the volume.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

[ Edited ]

WarEagle57 wrote:

Mongo53e wrote:

There was no mention of any cable box other than the DVR.  Don't unnecessarily confuse the issue.

kreed987 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just got a DVR box for my room and installed it with no problem and got the remote to program to turn the cable box on, but I couldn't and still can't get the remote to program it for the actual tv and the tv/video mode. Can someone PLEASE help me? I have a Symphonic tv, not LCD, just standard. I tried talking to the Live Agent, but she was unable to help me with it.

___________________________________________________________________________________

If anything, your post unnecessarily confused the isssue.

Creed, sounds like you want to program the remote so that the Volume buttons are global, i.e. no matter what mode the remote is in, i.e. what device is selected on the remote for it to control, the volume buttons will always change the volume on the tv.  You need to find the documentation for the remote, and look for global settings in the documentation.

Buttons doing the wrong thing, sounds like getting a code that is close, but NOT the right one, again the documentation will explain how to "search" for codes to finally get the right one. Its basically setting up the remote so that you point it at the device and press a button until the device responds, then you hit enter to save the code that worked.  It should be described in the documentation.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The cable box he referred to is the DVR.