Contributor
fastfrontier17

RGN110: Ref code S0A00

So they finally got around to doing the digital transition in my area this week and I didn't like the boxes they provided so I decided to go ahead and put another HD box on my TV in my room (Even thought I dont really use it much). Anyways I received a RGN110 box and plugged it up...I had a guide and the correct time but for 2 hours all I had was ref code s0a00...I called comcast and waited for 30 minutes and all they did was reset the signal and ask me to cycle the power etc and they tried resetting the signal again...I tried the box on another cable outlet that has a motorolla box normally hooked up to it and it was throwing the same code there as well (The Silver HD Motorolla box works fine on any outlet). Could the box be bad? 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: RGN110: Ref code S0A00

Yes, the box can be bad, but first, check that the power supply on the RNG110 is a 5 volt adapter and not 12 volts.  Make sure you are not running your coax through any AC surge protector strips coax ports.

The RNG110 has better diag than the Moto boxes, to get into the diag screen, with the Comcast remote turn off the box, and within 2 seconds press the OK button.  The diag menu will come up, and should show green good as in this example on the dashboard.

Check both the diag dashboard and the D04 inband status page, as the inband status page will show true RF signal levels which should hopefully be +10 to -10 or so.

If you getting anything other than good green conditions, you have signal issues or a bad box that needs to be addressed.  I haven't seen any indication that the sensitivity of these boxes are any worse than a Moto box in general, but again the box might be bad.

P3060687.JPG

P3060691.jpg

Contributor
fastfrontier17

[ Edited ]

sorry for the quality...i disconnected the hd box and put the old box back in my room and didn't feel like reconnecting everything again so i hooked the box up to a crt in my kitchen...i've tried the box on every outlet in the house and i'm getting the same results

http://i53.tinypic.com/1410h9x.jpg

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If you have confirmed that power supply is 5 volts, then I'd next either swap the box at your local office, or call support and insist on a tech visit and the tech can determine the exact issue if with the box, or a signal issue.

The tuner might just be fried, especially since you tried it on all outlets when the Moto box works.

Contributor
fastfrontier17

Yes it's 5 volts. I'm pretty sure my signal is fine as I'm watching TOOND in 1080i right now with no probs on my moto box! I can't believe they would give me a bad box, not sure how often it happens. My mom insists that they just give out bad boxes that people bring in and state "dont work" lol. Not sure what could be bad in a box that just deals with RF unless some surge fried something!

Regular Contributor
hyatis

[ Edited ]

Go down to IB1 tuner and hit the right arrow so we can see your signal (if it shows). If its really low like -15 or something. then signal issues.

Make sure the box is on a channel, like channel 2 or something and not sitting on channel 1(the ondemand).

It wasnt showing a FREQ(mhz) on your screen shot, so I think you left it on 1. We were trying to determine signal strength on a channel(Freq) you had the message on that is the bottom part of the screen and his second screen shot.

Contributor
fastfrontier17

went and picked up a new "refurbished" box and its throwing the same code... here are some numbers

http://i53.tinypic.com/29olkya.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/rmk3sy.jpg

Contributor
fastfrontier17

was on channel 6 or 7

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I want to confirm that you did call in to Comcast to get the new box activated once you got it home and connected, right?

Regular Contributor
hyatis

[ Edited ]

Even when not activated the IB tuner should show a freq and the time should be correct.

Make sure the time is right. If it says 12:00 either something is not hooked up right or you have the input on the TV out. sounds silly but check plz!

If still bad, then you need a tech out

Contributor
fastfrontier17

I called in on the last box and they never stated anything about activating it...I figured when they scanned the UPC when I received the box today that they were activating it... when I did call all they did was reset the signal and told me to cycle the power... I'll give them a call 2nite after dinner and see if theres anything else I need to do....maybe my comcast tech was a newb....

Regular Contributor
hyatis

[ Edited ]

They scan it to put it on the account. After you get home and it hooked up they usually give you a  1-800 numb to call to activate.

Make sure the time is showing correctly and maybe your guide is downloaded if you have had it hooked up this long. They can't activate the new box until it has signal. Which we were trying to determine and cant tell right now, well good signal anyways because it does show something for upstream and OOB tuner

Contributor
fastfrontier17

Via Live Chat I talked to a comcast tech and had them activate the box, they asked for the serial number and all of the account info and it took a few minutes before I heard back them and now I'm waiting for the picture/sound to appear....they said it can take up to 45 minutes but usually is a lot less than that...been about 7 mins now and nothings changed yet

Contributor
fastfrontier17

still no change so far

Contributor
fastfrontier17

hours later, they state that the box serial number isnt listed on my account...so i call them up and go through the whole activation process and they state that the box isnt activating and that a tech will be out to check it out

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Glad they are sending out a tech to find out what's really going on.

Please post back the findings if you can.

Contributor
fastfrontier17

Since they had so many problems they're trying to get out here sooner....really curious why the box won't authorize. My signal strength is fine I placed an older motorolla HD box on the same cable line through the same component connection and it worked fine...switched back to the RGN110 and the same dialog box comes back up with the same ref code