Contributor
mgkbull

RNG 150N has audio drop

I just had my older moto box replaced this last weekend with the newer moto RNG 150N. I have it connected to my Yamaha RX-V467 reciever and I'm having severe audio dropping with both HDMI and optical/toslink connections. Video is fine. If I use the standard component cables that Comcast provides, everything works fine but the audio is definitely lackluster. At this point, I'm actually thinking of going back to the older box to get the better audio experience back.

Anyone else having this issue?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: RNG 150N has audio drop

with the box OFF and the tv on press the menu button.  In that screen you will see some audio options, try selecting different ones to see they make any difference.  I think most select PCM.  

Contributor
mgkbull

Will this be adjusting the audio options for the cable box or the TV?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

The cable box, you will be in the box setting, your chaning the audio out from the box, that has nothing to do with the tv.

Contributor
mgkbull

Thanks, I'll check the settings tonight. i was unaware that I could access the cable box setting with it turned off. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can fix my audio woes...

Contributor
AudioDropper

My HD box is doing the same thing.

The audio drops and skips are unbearable on all channels and on the VOD as well.

I tried every audio setting in the "hidden menu." 

Pass Through, AUTO and L-PCM all have horrible skips but the audio itself is as CLEAR as day.

I've been able to use the Optical Out on other HD boxes without a problem, but not this box.

Contributor
AudioDropper

I have noticed the audio drops are much worse during the actual show I'm watching and not the commercials.

Contributor
mgkbull

After a little fussing last night, i was able to get everything up and running. I had to run everything through HDMI, which I'm a little bummed about because I had to fork out the additional cost for cables. I ended up using the "PCM" setting on the cable boxes audio menu, "Pass Through" was a no-go as I still had the dropping. So far so good. It's a bit frustration that the tech basically left it up to me to figure out what the problem was and had no suggestions for me, and I had to come to an on-line forum to get answers. Thanks for your help guys, I'll post again if anything else comes up.

Contributor
AudioDropper

I gave up on the RNG 150 with my setup because every setting for me had awful audio skipping.

I went back to the RNG 110 HD Box and the audio works fine with the Optical Out.

I've noticed every box has it's own individual glitches.

Contributor
mgkbull

Now I'm having issues with the box not saving my audio settings from the hidden menu. I have it set for PCM and it keeps switching back to Auto. Any thoughts?

Contributor
AudioDropper

How are you exiting the "hidden menu" after you made the selections you want for the Audio?

The "Power" button is supposed to save any changes made.

Contributor
AudioDropper

I gave up on the RNG150N STB.

The audio is much better for my Optical out setup using the RNG 110 HD STB.

There is an ever-so-slight audio skip every once in awhile but not the constant pull-your-hair-out skipping.

My only real issue is the video/picture initially being displayed in VGA each time I initially turn on the RNG110.

The picture is zoomed in and streched out abnormally.

I've tried every setting on my TV such as AUTO-DETECT and RGB but the picture wants to display in VGA mode and not the 1080, 720, or 480 resolution it should be depending on the channel.

I've tried turning on the TV first and the STB first but that doesn't make a difference.

The only simple fix is to leave the STB powered on ALL OF THE TIME or to power the box ON, then OFF, then back ON. 

Contributor
BostonSnowboard

Hi,

any followup on this? did your audio drops stop?  did the menu settings get saved?

I am having the same issue - about to try changing the menu setting to PCM as you did.

Contributor
mgkbull

Menu settings still don't save. Every time I turn on the tv/cabe box/reciever, I need to set the cable box back to the L-PCM audio setting. Once set, everything works fine. Incredibly annoying but I have other Comcast issues regarding my internet that I'm dealing with at the moment. Seems like I've been on a constant rotation with cable, internet and billing issues for the last 3 months now. Thank god I don't have Comcast phone service...

Contributor
AudioDropper

No matter what audio setting I tried, the audio skipped unbearably!

So I exchanged it at the local office for a different HD only box (RNG110 model). The audio is better but I have to power ON and OFF and back ON the box because the picture initally displays in VGA mode (all stretched and zoomed in).

In my opinion, every box has it's glitches whether it's from a software or hardware standpoint.

Contributor
BostonSnowboard

for my RNG 150N, all i had to do was change to PCM.  it seems to be working. no need to call them and check on the nodes.  also, so far, it seems to remember the setting.

My only further question concern is that, now my home theater says the sound is "LPCM 2.0" for everything. So i dont know if the cable box is translating surround sound into PCM, and so am I truly getting surround sound.  or, ...am I just getting stereo.  I'm not sure yet. I'll have to try a good surround movie to be sure (my home theater can create faux surround so Im not sure yet what exactly is going on).

Contributor
AudioDropper

I have noticed the audio will change in real-time through my Yamaha surround sound receiver.  For example, during a show when a commercial comes on with different audio detected my receiver changes to a different type of audio output.  This seems allright but for those people out there that are really picky you can tell when the audio changes.

Under the HDMI Settings menu on the Comcast STB I have mine set at L-PCM and the AUTO DETECT is disabled.

Does anyone know if the AUTO DETECT is for just AUDIO or VIDEO as well?

All of the settings under HDMI Settings seem the same to me.

Contributor
BostonSnowboard

before i changed mine, it was certainly switching the listing of audio type based on channel (eg. Dolby digital 5.1; dolby digital 2.0).   Now, since i changed it to PCM it just shows  "LPCM 2.0" for every channel.  But i think it is still varying from channel to channel, just that my home theater does'nt show the change now.

On mine, I believe it was within the HDMI audio menu that I switched off autodetect, so it should'nt affect video at all.  actually, the switching between HD video 1080i to SD it appears to still be switching fine.

so far so good for me, I think - i'll report back if anything still is wrong.