New Visitor
td_127

RNG100 Set Top Box Issues "Initializing Operating System..."

This morning I went to UPS at about 9am to get my new cable box so I could set up my new Comcast service. Right when I plugged it in and hooked it up according to the directions, it went to a white screen that says "Cisco" in large red letters and underneath that it says "Initializing Operating System". The box itself does not have a light on at all, saying it's turned on.

I've chatted with multiple Comcast representatives who could not help me at all with the problem. They had me go through all the basic troubleshooting things you can do. Such as power cycling the device, checking cable connections, plugging it into another outlet and not in a powerstrip, ect.

None of them have been able to help. I have found in different forums that people have been experiencing this issue also, but none of them posted a solution. They did mention it still happened after exchanging the equipment.

I wanted to see if anyone has found a solution to this issue. I have a technician coming on Saturday, but from what I hear, they don't fix the issue.

Any solutions? 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: RNG100 Set Top Box Issues "Initializing Operating System..."

Please share if this is completly new service, or an upgrade to a limited basic or HSI service.

New Visitor
td_127

This is completely new service. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Since there is no guarantee that your cable service was physically connected to the network, and that your TV jacks in the house are actually active, then the tech visit would be needed to confirm the signal is connected and at a good level at each TV outlet you have in the home.

You can connect the TV directly to the cable TV outlet, do a scan for channels and see if anyting shows up.

Sorry, you will need to wait for the tech to get there.

New Visitor
td_127

Alright, I just wanted to see.

If I connect the cable directly to my TV, bypassing the box, I can pick up local channels.

I guess I'll just wait and see. 

New Visitor
Mrbello

Exact very same problem here. Will love to see a reply with a solution
New Visitor
B3ltran

We FINALLY got our cable box after attempting for a whole month to get cable service...long story but this process was not off to a good start lets just say. 

Anyways...we finally got our box and new modem from comcast and went to set it up and have the same issue. Called the service center and no one was able to help. Have to wait 4 days until someone can come out and HOPEFULLY fix it for us. 

Let me know what they told you if you got an answer.......

New Visitor
happyending

Hi everyone, i have the same issue; it is stuck at the initializing. I chatted and talked to many representatives; none of them was able to resolve the issue. Does anyone have the solution? I have internet and cable TV. A splitter is used to split the signal; one goes to TV; the other goes to modem. Thanks.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Best thing would to take the cable box to the local office for a swap.  You would also be welcome to call support and they can send out a tech if you want to wait.

Take the remote with.

New Visitor
Arthuuur

Exact same issue here. After 3 days straight of calling different cust. serv. rep. it's getting frustrating. hopefully the technician will solve this issue.

New Visitor
mc1408

Have the same issues here, I was told the top Box was probably defective, wrong. After driving to Comcast and exchanging the top box for another, the STITUATION forren worse. The exchanged top box was a used or recondition and this time the only light worked was the Remote indicator light. This was on Saturday and a technician will be here Friday coming. Great ideal for a delayed Mothers Day gift. Thanks alot. If not working when technician leaves, I will be cancelling the service.