New Visitor
KrakenGreyjoy
Accepted Solution

RNG200 Box won't boot/Stay on

So I'm on my second box in two days, after 9 months of uninterrupted happy service. I have a scheduled appt Sunday morning, but I'm checking to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Thursday my cable box shut off on it's own. It wouldn't turn on with the remote or power button. So I unplugged it and replugged it. I got this message everytime in order:

"bSTr"

"----"

"-:-"

then the power icon (the circle with a line through the top) blinked 8-9 times. Then a "click" as if it shut off. But I still hear the hum of electronics. This would happen every time. I called support, the gentleman said he couldn't read a signal and I should replace it.

Ok, no big deal.

Today after work I went to a Comcast center and exchanged the box for a new RNG200.

Took it home, happy and hopeful. Boosh, same thing. Just as described above. Even tried new outlets. Called help desk. She tried everything she could.

So someone is coming Sunday. We'll see what happens

Anyone experience this?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Re: RNG200 Box won't boot/Stay on

I'd like to know what happened. I'm having the same issue and about to get my 3rd one of these boxes. I can't figure it out. Don't know if a weak signal is the culprit, no way to read that. Gonna move the box to another outlet and see what happens.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

edit

Regular Contributor

Well I took the box to another room and it worked without a problem. So that pretty much tells me that I have a weak signal on the original line. By the way, if I plug the weak signal cable directly into my digital TV it will work just fine. I don't know why a degraded signal would cause rebooting but apparently it does. My next move is to take my old reliable SA8300 HD upstairs and see if it's more tolerant of a weak signal. I've pretty much eliminated everything connected to the TV except the HDMI cable. Come to think of it perhaps I should go back to the original setup without HDMI. Fun, fun.............

Regular Contributor

Well I did manage to get the box to work back in it's original location once I got rid of the HDMI connection and I don't quite understand that. The end result is that the RNG200 box and my DVD player swapped their output connections. Now I use composite cables for the RNG200 while the DVR now uses HDMI. I wish I knew how many others with this problem are using HDMI cables from the cable box.

Visitor
cremartin

Sorry to drag up an old topic but this exact issue happened to me today, but customer service were able to send a new signal to the box after a power cycle and all is well again. I'll update if the problem reoccurs

New Visitor
cornbread82985

This problem is caused by hooking your cable box up incorrectly. Make sure the cable wire is not plugged into the cable out jack on your dvr. This will cause your box to act in the ways mentioned above. The cable wire should be plugged into the cable in box on the back of the the dvr

New Visitor
tttdk

I too would like to know what happened.   We are experiencing the same issue.  On our third box and still nothing.   Its been 5 days without my TV working unless I take the regular box my the other room.  We are scheduled for Thursday

New Visitor
janet56__

Having this problem for over a week or so.  Just keeps saying boot, no power light. Really confulsed and upset !

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

janet56__ wrote:

Having this problem for over a week or so.  Just keeps saying boot, no power light. Really confulsed and upset !

Have you double-checked all the connections and followed what the solution above in this thread mentions?

Regular Contributor

This problem almost always comes down to a weakened signal which could be caused by many things such as splitters, cables, loose connectors, etc. If the box could be moved to another connection and it works its definitely a signal problem.