Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Recording Cancelled By The System

Sunday I programmed my dvr to record Undercover Boss at 8pm. In the past, Amazing Race has run over it's hour time slot which makes Undercover Boss start later.

Because of that, I modified the setting to Stop Recording an hour later. My intention was to watch the episode later Sunday night. However, Undercover Boss did NOT show up in MY DVR.

This morning I found out why. I went to Manage My DVR/DVR History. I found this:

"Undercover Boss NOT RECORDED DUE TO A CANCELLATION BY THE SYSTEM"

I had nothing else set up to record during that time period.

Here's the kicker. The same show was set up to record on another DVR, the one used by my daughter. Only difference was, she set it to Stop Recording 30 minutes later. Unfortunately, she only got half of Undercover Boss.

So WHY did it record on one dvr but not the other one? WHAT system cancelled the recording?

I set something up to record, I expect it to do just that.

Fortunately, Undercover Boss is availabe via On Demand. I finally had time to watch it through On Demand yesterday.

System: please leave me alone and don't cancel any more of my recordings.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Recording Cancelled By The System

Evie

Did you have 2 shows starting at the same time on 2 different channels, both HD?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

No Jay. My recording schedule for Sunday night:

7-8 Extreme Makeover Home Edition ABC channel 5

7-7:30 Sweat Equity DIY Network channel 121

8-10 Undercover Boss (as stated I adjusted the stop time because I wanted to get all of it) CBS, channel 9

9-9:30 Over The Limit Tru TV channel 73 (I had forgotten about this until a moment ago when I looked at the history so my statement that nothing else was set up to record during that time period was inaccurate)

I received no conflict messages when setting up Over The Limit to record.

10-12 Into The Lost Crystal Caves  National Geographic channel 109

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor
nwbeardave

I had 4 recordings on Thursday night (2 at 8pm and 2 at 9pm) that I record each week that were both cancelled by the system and also a single program on Friday night with no other programs scheduled to record.  This is really annoying.

Regular Visitor

I have the same issue.  Very frustrating.  Two programs were cancelled by the system.  What does that mean?  There was no conflict.  I realized a program was not recording shortly after it started.  Manually hit the record button and NOTHING HAPPENED.  It would not record even with a manual record selection. 

Calling support is a joke.  I could take calls I know the whole routine.  Give the serial number located on the back of the dvr, then they sent out a signal which resets the dvr which take 10 - 60 minutes, and if the issue is not resolved you should call back. 

Sick and tired of this.

Bronze Star Contributor
schimmy

This happens to me too. It's suppose to record top gears new episode on Monday on the first run. Cancels the recording and will record the later episode in the night. No conflicts.

It also does it for other shows too. It will also show multiple showings set of one show in the scheduled recordings with most of them canceled by the system and only one set to record and never on the first run showing and never any conflicts. No rhyme or reason for it. Comcast techs were at my house last week for another issue and I showed them the DVR and they were puzzled too and didn't know why it was doing it.

I just caulk it up to more of the Comcast quirks that seem to keep adding up and never fixed.

New Visitor
catfan927

Just hqappend to me and basically ruined all the "good feelings I had from my vacation.  I come home to find 11+ hours of weeked "live" sports recordings "cancelled by system".

And you are right....Call up assistance is a freaking joke......So no one seems to know why this oocured.

Maybe i should switch to DISH!

Regular Contributor
Tario70

[ Edited ]

Queen-Evie,

Just had this happen to me tonight with "The Walking Dead" on AMC HD. Thanks Comcast, now I have to wait until Thursday to watch this episode.

The worst part of this is that earlier in the day I checked to ensure that it was set to record & it was! Of course the show replays immediately after the first run of the episode, but since I have my series recording set to only record new episodes, it skipped the "repeat" (As it should).

This has royally p!ssed me off & it further angers me that there is a thread about this already with ZERO answers as to why this happened.

I noticed the first 2 episodes were "On Demand" for this show, but who knows if the 3rd will show up. I am seriously ticked off right now because Comcast can't get their DVR to work properly.

~Tario70

PS: In case someone tries to troubleshoot this, I had NOTHING else set to record on Sunday. "The Walking Dead" was and is the ONLY show I record on Sundays.

Visitor
nwbeardave

I was able to get my DVR to stop acting up by finding a day when nothing was set to record and then unplugging the DVR for about 2 minutes and the reconnecting the power.  Since doing that I have not had any problems.  This is a trick I learned for when "On Demand" is returning an error.  The only other option would be to take the DVR in and swap it out but then you have to reprogram all your scheduled recordings.  Of course anything in the memory of the machine can not be moved either. 

The plus side is there are work arounds it is just a matter of how many shows have you lost before finding the problem.

Regular Contributor
Tario70

nwbeardave,

I have already done this & will see if the problem repeats. I do try to do my own troubleshooting before I come here and this was one of the things I tried before posting.

Luckily, "The Walking Dead" is available On Demand, Today, so I luckily only had to wait one day to watch it instead of having to wait until it was replayed on Thursday.

~Tario70

Contributor

I've had the same exact problem happen on and off for close to a year.  At first, I tried swapping boxes.  Now that I'm on my 3rd (or is it 4th?) box -- and it's the newest Motorola model -- it still happens, so I just reset it when necessary by unplugging it.  Last week it did it for a few shows before I realized they didn't record.  So I reset it.  All was fine until last night when it didn't record a show set for midnight.  So I reset it again this morning.  We'll see what happens to the shows I set for today.....

Regular Contributor
carmichalski01

this post below is from a different thread located here:

http://forums.comcast.net/t5/HDTV/i-had-4-recordings-on-my-DVR-today-that-were-cancelled-by-the/m-p/...

so after i posted the previous message about writing Rick germano i received a call from Comcast asking me what happened with my DVR and the agent said that they have no idea about any of this, never heard about this problem but will look into it. HOW CAN THEY NOT HAVE HEARD ABOUT IT??? dont they read their own help forum? maybe that would be step #1 and then you can be on top of issues like this.

i guess we wait and see of this continues to happen. i did the unplug and reset and i am also watching everything on my DVR to clear it all out.

anyone else have issues or suggestions please post them.

New Visitor
badsign13

I think the reps have a standard reply of we don't know and have no reports.

I noticed this a few weeks ago, programs somhow changing to not record, so I have been checking everyday to be sure nothing has changed to not record.

I also started having a problem when the reminder comes up that a program is set to start recording on a different channel if I respond to it by selecting change channel when it begins - it never changes and never starts recording.

Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

Add me to the list. Just found out my box cancelled three days of recordings. It did not start recording again until I turned the box on tonight. Half the shows are not online. I have the dct 3416.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Tek wrote:
Add me to the list. Just found out my box cancelled three days of recordings. It did not start recording again until I turned the box on tonight. Half the shows are not online. I have the dct 3416.

I wonder if there's a bug that no longer allows the box to turn itself on to record.  I always leave mine on, and I haven't seen this problem.  Just a thought, although I'd think there would be a lot more complaints if this were true.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

FWIW, my box is always on.

Contributor

have a ? how many of the outputs in the back of the dvr are u using also to is it the black dvr or the silver one

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

edju232zx wrote:

have a ? how many of the outputs in the back of the dvr are u using also to is it the black dvr or the silver one

edju232zx

No one knows who you are responding to or what you are asking.

Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

I am using just the hdmi and my box is silver.
New Visitor

I have the same issue and it's friggin annoying! I noticed the box wasn't recording so I recorded my show, the only one set to record tonight, and it started 10 minutes in. This is ridiculous because it's happened before but no one's been able to tell me why.

Bronze Star Contributor

This just started happening to me. I have a DCX3400 box , trying to record House and Chuck, both scheduled for 8PM. Neither one recorded, second week in a row. I tried setting one to record one minute early, but that didn't help. Just thought I'd let it known....as of Feb 21, 2011, it's still happening.

Bronze Star Contributor

Probably not related, but -

I just posted a separate question about the online mydvr vs the real dvr schedules not matching, in particular not seeming to handle conflicts, such as more than 2 programs scheduled for the same time period.  That prompted me to look at the dvr's history. I discovered that in the case of shows that were not recorded due to a priority problem on the real dvr those shows are showing up as "canceled by system". I could have sworn that preiviously they showed up as being canceled due to user preference or something similar.

Like I said, probably not related, but it might be worth looking at the online mydvr and seeing if maybe it has somehow erroneously listed some sort of conflict for the timeslots of the missing shows. It might just be another piece of the puzzle.

New Visitor
reeves7691

I've never had this problem on the silver box - only on the black box.  Also, it only affects shows I want to record on Thur.  Very weird.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Dear System,    

STOP CANCELLING RECORDINGS I HAVE SET UP!!!! I SET UP RECORDINGS FOR A REASON, AND YOU DECIDE, FOR WHATEVER REASON, TO CANCEL THE RECORDING.

Tonight, I had something set up to record at 8pm. At 8:01, I wanted to watch a previously recorded program, and I noticed that the 8pm show had not started to record. Fortunately, I was able to hit the record button for the program. After I did that, I checked DVR History and found out you cancelled the recording.

Now the big question: What system are you and why do you cancel recordings?

Contributor

Can you tell me which model DVR you have. I have been having the same problem for many weeks and I have been in touch with technicians at comcast. They have not been able to determine what the problem is and I would like to give them as much information as possible. Have you been in touch with anyone at comcast and, if not, I suggest you do so. The more people make them aware and complain the more likely the problem will be solved. Thanks.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Motorola DCT6412 III

I have not called Comcast about it. If I did, whoever I talk to would not be able to tell me anything about why this happens.

He/she may tell me that it will be reported to someone who can look into the issue, but I have my doubts that it would be reported.

I do have a tech scheduled for tomorrow to run a line to another part of a room (I don't have time or inclination to do it myself) and if I think about it, I will ask the tech if he has heard of system cancelling the recording.

Bronze Star Contributor

I talked to Comcast corporate. He said the field techs don't know about it, but it is a known, unresolved issue they are working with Motorila. It also happens on my DCX3400.
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

But wait, there's more.

I always set up the dvr to stop recording 1 minute late on a few channels. I like to see ALL of a show, and some channels cut off the recording 30-40 seconds early.

After I hit record, I forgot to set it up to end 1 minute late. No problem, I could set up the episode to record at 2:30am. Which I did.

About half an hour ago, I was looking at My DVR recorded shows.  The 8pm episode was there, but not the 2:30am episode. A peek at DVR History told me the 2:30am airing was not recorded due to a fatal hardware error.

I've seen this error once before. That time, I had 2 shows set to record at the same time. Only one recorded, the other one did not due to fatal hardware error. It was suggested it could be due to a faulty tuner. That may be the case this time, even though only one show was set to record at 2:30am.

In addition to these errors, a different box has something screwy going on, which I will mention in a new thread.

Bronze Star Contributor
schimmy

Well I'm use to this issue happening on BBC or MTV but luckly on those channels they are always repeating the episodes. Well, this past week I've been traveling for work, haven't had a chance to review the DVR until late last night and I know on Tuesday night, there were only suppose to be two shows recording that night, V and one show on MTV, both were at different times, well the show on MTV recorded but V says it was canceled by the system. There should have been no reason for it to be canceled, My parents flew to CO today and they are both really into V like I am and we wanted to watch the season finale tonight but guess what, we have to watch it on my small laptop so we can see how it ends. Good job comcast, this issue has been known on the board for 5 months now, and the issue has probably been around for much longer then that, still can't find a way to fix it?

One other thing I notice, there are times that after some shows, it will record the next half hour of the show right after it. I've tripled checked all my settings and nothing seems out of place. What's weird about it is that while viewing the show that was suppose to record, as you fast forward, it will say the name of the show, but as soon as it's over, and you go past the one hour and one min mark, the name will change, but when you look at your recorded programs, it will show only the original show that was suppose to record. Has anyone else run into this?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Dear System, Apparently you did not take me seriously when I told you to stop cancelling my recordings.

Last night, I was looking at DVR history and I noticed you had done it again.

What I saw boggled my mind. There it was, the very first thing in the History: Name of the show, the time, and a notice that you cancelled it.

Right under that, in the 2nd spot, was the name of the same show, the same time as the first one, and a notice that you cancelled the recording.

How can you cancel one show twice? You really did want to make sure it was not recorded.

You have become a thorn in my side. Go away, leave me and my dvr alone. I'm not pleased that you keep doing this to me.

Bronze Star Contributor
schimmy

My system is now playing games with me. Tonight Shameless on SHO was recording just fine. That was until the system decieded to stop recording for no reason at the 45 min mark. there was no other recording going on at the time, no power surge, or anything else that would make it stop recording.

Has this happened to anyone else? As for my previous post about V not recording, ABC does not do OnDemand, and for some reason, they don't even have it online. So now I can't watch it probably until summer now.

Can someone from Comcast please update everyone on the status of this? Why is it taking so long to fix?

Contributor

I think we are wasting our time posting on this forum. The people who run comcast don't seem to be interested in our little problems, because they are busy building a communications empire, so they can eliminate the competition. Once they do that they may be able to eliminate customer support altogether and not have to bother with these annoying complaints. The only way to deal with comcast is to leave them as soon as possible. If I am wrong, can someone from comcast respond? That is, if they even bother reading this forum.

Bronze Star Contributor

Happenend again last night. Had HOUSE scheduled to record and nothing else. Came home to find out it didn't record and got the now infamous CANCELLED BY SYSTEM message.   You can email here: 

We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com.   You will likely get a response from someone at corporate who will forward your info to a regional rep who will call you.  Not that the problem will get fixed, but you'll likely get to talk to

someone who will admit there is a problem.   I did.  They gave me a $5 / mo. credit for the next 12 mos. for 'hanging in there'.   Doesn't help  though, does it ?   :smileyhappy:

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

That's $5 that will stay in your pocket, at least until you need it to pay someone else.

Or put the $5 in a jar each month and in 12 months you will have a windfall of $60. Treat yourself to a nice dinner out or a tank of gas with it.

Bronze Star Contributor

i wish they'd hurry up and resolve it.  we lost another program Monday night - House - and I can't get Brothers and Sisters to record ever on the local ABC channel only on the HD channel.

we have two DVRs and are having the problem on both.   Comcast is good when they're good but when they're bad..........they're very bad.

Bronze Star Contributor

That's very interesting and suspicious...HOUSE is the program we lose most often. Something about Monday night and Fox maybe ?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

My daughter records House on her dvr every week, and so far it hasn't been cancelled for any reason.

Bronze Star Contributor

Scanning through my DVR history, the following have been "canceled by system":

Harry's Law (3/21); Greta Van S (3/21), Celebrity Apprentice (3/20), Craig Ferguson (3/12), Greta Van S (3/11), Greta van S (3/8), Geraldo (3/6), Greta Van S (2/28), Greta Van S (2/25), Greta van S (2/24), Greta van S (2/23)

HImmm, large proportion of FNC programs in that list.

Bronze Star Contributor

the channels are random i believe.  i can record Brothers & Sisters on the ABC HD channel and it works but if i do it on the local ABC channel it gets cancelled.

also i sent email to that address listed in one of the posts here and did get a call last night from a Rodney who i had spoken with before on another problem.  i let it go to the answering machine. 

Bronze Star Contributor

i don't know about Fox.  This was the first time we lost House.   Usually it's ABC and they are no OnDemand which is another thing I don't understand.  What's wrong with them?  Are they too good for OnDemand?

Bronze Star Contributor

well now that you're the expert here you can explain the problem to her when it happens

Bronze Star Contributor

I did send email to that address and was called back by someone in Corporate help who I had spoken to before.  He said they queried the computer programmers and the "experts" that write the software for the DVRs and none knew of any problems with programs not recording or indeed the error message that "the program was canceled by the system".  He wants to send someone out here to check the programming on the DVRs we have.   We have replaced them before for other reasons.

I am in Pennsylvania and i would like to know where anyone else is that's having the same problem since my guys in PA. are either sitting on their hands or they refuse to acknowledge that the problem is widespread.

If you please you can also email me at Bunella@comcast.net and put "Recording Canceled" in the subject.

Thank you.

Bronze Star Contributor

It's happening to me in Northern Calfornia, and the rep that called me, said they are aware of the problem and it is on the Moto DCX3400 as well as the Moto 3416 . He also said that there is no fix in the horizon but they are working on it.  So, either my contact is just saying that or your contact isn't aware of it. Who knows ? It's typical of Comcast though.  You get different answers depending on who/where you talk to them.

Bronze Star Contributor

thanks for your response.  I am passing all this info over to my contact.  Yours was the 2nd response i got from an area other than my own.

Bronze Star Contributor

Tonight, NO. ONE show in the country, AMERICAN IDOL, on FOX, did NOT record. Due to system failure. It was the ONLY program for the entire night scheduled to record. These DVR's are  Unreliable.  And this program is not ON DEMAND and it is not streamed after on Fox website.

Bronze Star Contributor

To make matters more confusing,  these are the latest "canceled by system" on my dvr for the past week:

3/30 Greta van S, 3/29 Greta van S, 3/28 Greta van S

BUT I think at least two of these were conflict/priority related? OTOH there are other occasions where soething isn't recorded because of a conflict and I don't get that message.

FWIW, it somewhat reminds me of this issue I had last year: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Service-and-Equipment/DVR-refuses-to-record-specific-program-Fixed/m-p/...

Bronze Star Contributor

i'm so sorry Ghoofie. Can you tell me where you live so I can add you to my ever growing list to give to my contact here in Pa. Thanks.
Bronze Star Contributor
schimmy

For my post above, all of that happened just south of Denver CO. I emailed my tech contact a week ago and he has yet to respond on this problem.

Bronze Star Contributor

thank you.   i have a good contact - dunno if that helps much but at least he responds by the next business day or his back up does.

Bronze Star Contributor

I am in Northern California, Pittsburg.