New Visitor
DeeDeek68

Remote Not Changing Channels

We can't get out remote to change channels on the cable box.  It does it sometimes but not always.  We have unpluged everything and plugged it back in changed batteries in the remote.  It was working just fine yesterday afternoon and then late last night it stopped working.  Anyone had this problem?  Or any suggestions?

Thanks!!

New Visitor
kaitlynarsenaul

Re: Remote Not Changing Channels

I have this same problem. You have to push the channel buttons numerous times in order for it to do anything.  Changed the batteries, thats not it and it was working fine yesterday.Haven't figured it out yet... has anyone else...

Email Expert
CCCarole

i can't help, other then to say you can exchange your remote at a Comcast office.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Recognized Contributor

Are the cable boxes in question Motorola DVRs?  DeeDeek68, you mentioned unplugging everything.  Did that include unplugging the power cord from the cable box for 10-15 seconds?  I ask because this sounds a lot like a known problem with Moto DVRs running the latest guide software becoming non-responsive to remote and probably other commands.  This has been discussed previously in multiple threads.  If this is the problem, rebooting the DVR (power off the DVR, unplug the power cord for 10-15 seconds, then plug in the power cord again) will probably resolve the issue, at least temporarily.  Note that it may take a couple days for the DVR to fully repopulate the guide data after a reboot.

New Visitor

Im having the same problem- and it is with Motorola cable boxes.

I was having the same remote issues (just started two days ago), changed batteries, then exchanged the remote at Comcast.

Came back and realized it was the cable box that was having issues. Unplugged, rebooted- no change.

Exchanged the box and recieved another Motorola. Now nothing is working correctly. Only shows 4 channels in the guide (1 through 4) and only one channel actually is showing a tv channel (Tv Land for some reason).

And the remote is not recognizing the box at all.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

After you bring home a exchanged box, you still need to call in to activate it on your account.

Please call Comcast and get the box activated, that will get your channels back.  Did the remote get swapped out also?

New Visitor

Thanks! I will do that now. I would think they would have told me- but I blame myself.

And no, I still have the new remote. I will see if it works with the box. Thanks again- I will report how it goes.

Regular Contributor

Our remote just quit functioning tonight.  I would like to try disconnecting and rebooting the cable box.  Will I lose the programs that are recorded on my DVR?  

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Normally your recordings would be safe.  Some rare times, if the database is corrupted, the box will wipe it and the recordings out when the database gets rebuilt on the power up.

Regular Contributor

And this is at best a temporary fix if I understand correctly?  The only solution is to get a new cable box?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

cdwall13451 wrote:

And this is at best a temporary fix if I understand correctly?  The only solution is to get a new cable box?

It seems on the Motorola boxes with the A28 guide which was rolled out in 2010, has created a few new issues, including boxes seemingly slowing down and eventually being unresponsive.  Powering down and powering up the box does return it to normal. 

Because all the Motorola boxes run the same version guide software, so replacing the box might not help.  You certainly can exchange the DVR for another one if you wish.

New Visitor
FiddleF

Every two or three months the DVR becomes slow or unresponsive to the remote. The remote works fine with the TV. We go in and change the DVR it works fine for a few months and then it starts again. We have a Motorola DCH 3416 is there a better one from Comcast I should exchange this one for? Comcast always acts surprised that we have this problem, however, I see that others have the same problem. Every time we have to take the box in we lose all our recordings. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

FiddleF

Next time try unplugging the power to the box for a few seconds then plug it back in. That resets the box and should fix the slow response. If that works then you can save your recordings.