Contributor
Kramerbus

Remote code for Sylvania TV?

I have a Sylvania HD TV, model LC195SLX, received new as a Christmas gift in December, 2009.  It worked fine using the Comcast Digital to Analog converter box and associated remote, with remote code 11864.  Yesterday we upgraded our service including a Comcast HD/DVR and its remote, a Comcast On Demand Custom DVR, 3 device remote.

That remote controls the DVR OK, but it does not control the TV (power on/off, volume/mute).  I have tried all the codes for Sylvania TVs in the online document for that remote.  (The installer did not leave us with the document for the remote, so i had to go onto the web for it.)   None work.  The code from the old remote, 11864, is rejected by the new remote.  I tried the new remote with an older Toshiba TV, and it works with that TV's code, 11156.

So what remote code should i use for the almost new Sylvania TV???  (I tried having it scan for a code, and that process didn't work.  I will try it again if that is my only choice.)

Note: The installer was unable to make it work, and he left suggesting that I look on the Comcast website.  Not very customer friendly!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Remote code for Sylvania TV?

In 2007 I inherited a less than 6 month old Polaroid tv from my father. Got a dvr, hooked it up to the tv, and none of the Polaroid codes worked for the dvr remote.

After 3 years of off and on looking for a code to make the remote work with the tv, I finally found one that worked.

My mom's tv in her bedroom is the only one tv in the house which is not connected to a dvr. The digital transition is set to be complete in my area in October. In July, I had to return something to Comcast and while there I decided to go ahead and get a dta.

As I looked at the tv codes so I could program the adapter remote for her tv, I looked at the Polaroid codes.

There were more codes listed for the dta than there were for the dvr remote. The light bulb came on over my head. Why not try the DTA codes on the dvr remote?

Somewhere in those numbers was one that worked for the Polaroid tv. After 3 years, we were finally able to use the dvr remote for the tv functions. At some point along the way, the tv remote had ceased to work, so in order to turn the tv off/on we had to walk over to the tv and do it from the power button. (we bought a few remotes but couldn't find the correct codes for them)

This might be an option if none of the codes with the dvr work for you. DTA's are newer than dvr's so the codes may be more updated for DTA's. You can compare codes for the 2 devices, and if there are some that are listed for the dta but not for the DVR try them to see if they work.

You can find the list of DTA codes HERE  Choose View Manual for  Comcast Digital Adapter Remote (DTA)

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
Kramerbus

Sorry, I already tried the equivalent.  When the conversion to digital hit our area, I got two DTAs and associated remotes.  We had been running our Sylvania TV successfully on one of the DTAs, using a TV code that worked on its remote.  But the DTA did not exercise any of the HD capability available on the Sylvania TV.

So with the upgrade offer, I got a DTR and had it installed on our newer, Sylvania HD TV.  After I tried all the Sylvania codes listed for the Universal remote that came with the new DTR none of them worked.  So I then tried the code that works for the DTA, but the DTR remote rejected that code as invalid (single long light flash instead of the two short ones).  And the old DTA remote doesn't work with the Comcast DTA. 

So I am still looking for a solution....  Meantime, we have to use two remotes, one for the TV and one for the DTR that feeds it.

Contributor
Kramerbus

Oops, I meant DVR, not DTR in the prior response.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Try these, found them on the Comcast remote site. If you have tried them already my apologies for sending them to you again.

Slvania 011, 013, 015, 017, 027, 031, 072, 073

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

I have the same tv you do and a DVR. Go to this web address, and find your DVR remote, it will have a red or gray OK button, try all the Sylvania codes, I forgot which one it is but I promise you one will work, it did for me.

http://www.comcast.com/corporate/customers/customer_support/remotes.html?INTCMP=ILCCOMCOMAL20642&fss...

Also if you go to this website there are firmware updates for your tv, I already applied the updates to my tv.

http://sites.google.com/site/sylvaniasoftware/home

Contributor
Kramerbus

[ Edited ]

To corgi11:

I have the same remote as you described, and I tried all the codes in the accompanying document.  I would appreciate it if you would find out which code you have installed in your remote that works for your Sylvania TV.  Here is the process for determining a current code, from the Comcast document.  And unlike some documentation, this seems to work for my remote:

CHECKING THE CODES

1. Turn on your TV

2. a  On the remote, press TV once.  That button should flash. 

2. b. Then press and hold Setup until the TV key flashes twice, then release Setup.  (It flashes once when you first press it. Continue holding it down until it flashes twice.)

3. Enter 9 - 9 - 0.  The TV key will blink twice.  (Do that carefully.  There are other codes that may change your settings, which you don't want.)

4. View the codes for each digit, one at a time:

Digit 1 - Press 1 once.  Wait 3 seconds and count the number of times the TV key blinks (e.g., 3 blinks = 3)  and write down the number as the first digit of the TV code.  For this remote, all TV codes should start with a "1".

NOTE:  If a code digit is "0" the TV key will not blink.

5. Repeat step 4 four more times for the remaining digits.  Use 2 for the second digit, 3 for the third digit, etc.

I split Step 2 into two parts.  If you are already working with the TV functions, you can go back to Step 2b rather than having to repeat step 2a.  If you want to find out what the codes are for AUX or Cable, then you must go all the way back to Step 1.

Note:  I have not yet explored downloading new TV software.  The TV seems to work OK, and I hate to "fix" something that "ain't broke" yet.  But that will be a next step if nothing else works.

Thanks for your help and the links.  They have helped me understand this new world of remotes and other devices.

Contributor
Kramerbus

[ Edited ]

To Commanguy

My Comcast remote takes 5-digit codes, of which the first is a "1" for a TV.  So I  guess that the second digit should be a "0" since elsewhere I have read that remotes using 3-digit codes predated codes above 1000.  Given that, none of the codes you provided are in my Comcast documentation for the remote I have.  When I tried them, prefaced with "10", the remote rejected all except for 10017.  With that code, I tried to power-cycle the TV, and like all the others, nothing happened.

Thanks for trying, but so far I am still stumped.

Regular Problem Solver

Don't program the remote  the way you are doing it. Enter the codes manually one set of codes at a time all five digits. Try each set, one set will work

Contributor
Kramerbus

Corgi11, I have entered all the codes documented for the DVR remote for Sylvania TVs manually, one at a time, all five digits.  None of those worked with my TV.

I then tried entering the code from my DTA remote that does work.  It was rejected by the DVR remote.  When the DVR remote rejects a new code, it just retains the code last entered, which in this case is one of the Sylvania codes that does not work.

My latest was a call to the local Comcast Service people.  The best they could do was set up the remote to control volume via the DVR, rather than via the TV.  That allows me to control channels, volume and mute from the Comcast remote.  They suggested that I plug the TV into the DVR power-out socket on the back of the DVR, so that the DVR would also power the TV on and off.  I did, but my version of the DVR apparently does not switch the power out socket, so the DVR does not turn the TV off.

So now we still have to use the Sylvania remote for power on/off of the TV, but everything else can be controlled from the DVR remote, an improvement.

A warning:  The TV remote still also controls volume.  If someone has mistakenly lowered or muted the TV volume using its own remote, the Comcast volume and mute controls have no effect.  So it still is not fully fool-proof (translated as wife-, mother-in-law-, and kid-proof).

Corgi11, were you able to determine what 5-digit code works in your Comcast remote to control your Sylvania TV, model LC195SLX?

Regular Problem Solver

http://sitesearch.comcast.com/?q=remote+control+codes&cat=ccentral 

If you go to the above page you will see 4 remotes, the first one is for a DTA, the last 3 are for DVR Remotes. I have the one with the the GRAY   OK select button .If you use the drop down list and find Sylvania it gives you this

Comcast Universal
Remote - Gray
OK/Select Button

Brand: Sylvania

Most likely code: 0054

Others to try:
0171, 0030, 0186

The other two DVR Remotes  shown have different codes for Sylvania please make sure you are using the codes for the correct DVR remote, remember there are 3 different  DVR remotes with 3 different sets of codes for Sylvania. One of the above codes worked with my specific remote and TV.

Comcast Universal
Remote - Red
OK/Select Button

Most likely code: 10054

Others to try:
10171, 11963, 11271, 10187, 10030, 11314, 10587

Comcast Universal
Remote - Platinum/
Dark Silver

Most likely code: 10054