Contributor
Accepted Solution

Remote not working with HD Box

I've had a major struggle the past few days adding an HD Box to my new HD TV. I first went to the store and picked up one of the small, black models and a new dark gray remote. It does not show any lights when plugged in and my remote would not turn it on. I assumed it was a bad box so it went back to the store the next day.

The store is out of the small, black ones so I get a bigger gray one. I take it home and the remote can't turn it on though I can do it manually. Since the dark gray remote turns my TV on and off, I had assumed it was the box up to this point but, just to test, grab my light gray remote from another unit and find it works perfectly.

So I know something it wrong with this dark gray remote. I go back today and get a second dark gray remote. I get home and it too won't turn on or off the box though works perfectly with my TV.

What is going on here? Is Comcast giving me the wrong remote or am I supposed to do something in order for the unit to recognize the remote? Thanks.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Remote not working with HD Box

The DCT and DCH silver boxes need the older silver remote, the darker platnium remotes only work on a DCX or RNG box.

Contributor

Does Comcast not tell their stores what remote goes with what? For a company which seems to be wanting to promote their customer service, this is the kind of avoidable issue they could remedy easily.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

The gray remotes should work, but will need the Cable device code changed, probably to 01376. I think they default to another code.

Contributor

Are you referring to doing something to the box or remote? Is there a way I can do this?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found a solution and I'm posting it in hope that others may benefit.

If your remote does not work with your cable box, find the manufacturer and model number of your box (mine was on the bottom of the box).

Visit this site and pick your remote:

http://www.urcsupport.com/index.php?mso_id=65

My new remote was the top left. You can go in there, enter the manufacturer and model number and it gives you a code. In my case, it was 01376 as suggested earlier in this thread. I believe that is the most common code.

Codes are also included on the little instruction sheet which comes from Comcast.

Here's how to re-program the cable button:

Turn on your box.
Press the "cable" button.
Press and hold the "setup" button until the cable button light blinks twice.
Enter "01376"
You should see two blinks on the cable button.

When I did this originally, it still did not work so I had to de-program the remote first. So, if the above does not get it done, try this:

Turn on your box.
Press the "cable" button.
Enter "982"
You should see the cable button blink four times.
Enter "01376"
You should see two blinks on the cable button.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

TitanJeff wrote: ... You will see a single, longer blink on the cable button.

Something wrong here. The programming instructions say:

If you perform this procedure correctly, the selected mode key will blink twice.

If you enter an invalid code, the selected mode key will display one long blink

and exit the programming mode.

New Visitor
OWL55423

Thanks to Jeff for posting the solution - it worked for my new HD cable box and new remote (Comcast telephone help is pitiful).

Problem I have now is that "exit" used to get me out of guide mode but doesn't work now - I have to switch channels and return to the one I want to exit guide mode.

I and still waiting for channel 97 (assume CBS HD) " to be avaible shortly"

All in all, this service is way behind DirecTV.

Contributor

Bruce,

I believe you are correct and I got mixed up with an earlier attempt. I'll see if I can edit my post.

Thanks.

Visitor
jroc869

IF you didnt do the 982 then 01376(sometimes you need to do this process twice in a row) I would recommend trying that. If you did that then Im not sure why the exit button isnt working. As far as one moment pls you either have a loose fitting or a signal issue. Check the connection behind the box and at the wall and everything in between. Also if you are running your coax cable through a surge protector you may want to try to go directly to the box because sometimes those will cause issues with the signal

New Visitor
charome420

thank you thank you "titanjeff" its works!!! all the info you posted  should be suggested by comcast customer service first before making a customer drive to a comcast store and ask for another remote control!!

Contributor

How do I turn on the RNG 110 to try this? There seems to be no power switch anywhere on it. 

When I plug the box in, should lights blink to show the power is connected? I'm getting nothing, suspect I have a dud box.

Thanks. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

There is no power switch on a RNG110.  If it doesn't power up with the Power adapter connected, then check the power adapter that is is 5 volts.  It will not operate properly if the office gave you a 12 volt power adapter.

Contributor

Thanks. It's a 5V. Sound like a dud box? 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Yep

New Visitor
erinmksmith

this fixed my remote!! thanks!!!!!!