Contributor
Accepted Solution

Remote - powers TV on and controls sound but won't change channels

Hi - I picked up a digital cable box and adapter for 2nd tv yesterday.  Setup went fine except on the primary tv the remote will power on/off the tv and will adjust volumn but will not change the channel.  I changed the batteries in the remote.  I also unplugged the box for 10 minutes and powered back on and still have the same problem.  I went through the remote setup process again with the same results.  The TV is a Philips Magnavox model TS2556 and the code used was 10054.  Any ideas?  There's a Celtics game on tonight so I consider this an emergency!  :smileyhappy:

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Remote - powers TV on and controls sound but won't change channels

No setup should be required in order for the remote to change the channel on the cable box.  You need to press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to send commands to the cable box.  What box do you have?  Are you able to view the output from the box on the TV?

Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  The box is a Cisco RNG100.  I pressed "Cable" at the top of the remote and nothing happens.  Can't even turn the TV on

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

What remote do you have?  see below for remotes and codes.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpNFC.aspx?print=false&id=remotes

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the silver remote with the red OK button.  I followed the procedures to enter the code last night but did it again just to make sure I did it correctly.  I got the double blink indicating the proper code was entered.  I can still power on/off the TV and adjust volume but cannot change the channel. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

For a RNG100 it must be a platnium remote and not the older sliver remotes. They might have given you the wrong remote.

Contributor

Hmmm, well that could explain it.  I'll have to make the 80 min round trip trek to the Comcast office tomorrow to try to exchange it.  Bummer.  Thanks for your help.  I'll report back tomorrow as to whether that did the trick. 

Contributor

Hi - just had a chance today to exchange my silver remote for the platinum and - voila! - it works perfectly.  Thank you JayINAlg for for the heads up on this.