New Visitor
msturtle

Remote replacement

My remote is going out.  Is there a way to get a new one without standing in line an hour at the service center?

Contributor
kross112

Re: Remote replacement

You can buy them through ebay.  I've just looked and they have all different types.  Just be certain that if you're replacing one for a DVR, that you get the darker gray looking ones as the lighter ones don't work on the DVR.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Remotes are the property of Comcast. Comcast does not sell them to customers.

If you buy one from Ebay or any other online source you will be buying stolen property.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor
robob50

[ Edited ]

Oy Vey!   So if I would buy a remote similar in design to the Comcast remote from Ebay or any other online sourceA Comcast representative or the cops will be pounding on my door to see if it's legal or not? Apparently its not a high issue with Comcast since there are over 300 of them on Ebay? Not that I would do anything illegal that is. :smileydevil:

Regular Problem Solver

You should be able to call 1-800-XFINITY and get a new one shipped to you.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

[ Edited ]

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
Magagoo

I programmed my remote (that came with the digital converter box) and it seems that the only buttons that do not work are the power and volume. I can change the channel, and the number keys work. Does this mean the remote is faulty, and I need a new one?

Bronze Star Contributor
robob50

[ Edited ]

ComcastKeisha said it I didn't. :smileyhappy:

I would stay away from buying Comcast equipment offline.

Where would I go to buy Comcast equipment Offline? A street corner in Southwest Philly? I'll take my chances calling Comcast for a replacement of course,or online. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
kross112

I've read on Comcast's site that you can use a universal remote with their converters.  Of course, like all universal remotes, one won't be able to utilize every function and some buttons will have markings different from the original.  This said, it's so easy to just stop by an office or call them to obtain one that I don't understand what all of the fuss is about!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Whatever you do, get the same remote as you have.

Silver remote with the red OK button for the older SA 8300's, SA 4250's and Motorola DCT and DCH series.

Platnium remote (dark gray) for the all the RNG's and Motorola DCX's.

Contributor
kross112

Wow!  I didn't realize that I would be opening such a flood gate!!  As a former cable (and sat) technician, I would never suggest that anyone do anything illegal.  Sorry but not so long ago, one could purchase their own equipment.  This used to be the norm with Sat TV.  In fact, it was required.  We have to remember that it is much more profitable for a company to rent equipment rather than allow their customers to make a one time purchase.  Depending on how long you're with a provider, you may pay for the cost of the equipment many times over.  (Remember that providers buy in bulk so they get the equipment much cheaper than a customer may obtain it though retail outlets).  Yes, yes, yes . . . just call Comcast and they will send you one.  This is the easiest way and will ensure that you get the correct remote.  You can even rent extras; I do.