Contributor
fredschultz1956

Remote stopped working

The remote was working perfectly, and then I wake up this morning and it no longer works. I have changed the batterys powered on and off the box. Ive tried holding down the cable button but nothing happens. The lights will blink on the top bottons but nothing happens when you hold them down. Any ideas of the problem?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Remote stopped working

You can exchange the remote for a new one.  Comcast has no problem doing that for you.

Contributor
fredschultz1956

Really, no hope? So I have to wait until I have time to drive to the comcast office in order to change the channel. Weak.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

It's either the remote or the cable box.  Does the box have buttons on it allowing you to change the channel without the remote?

Contributor
fredschultz1956

Nope, just a little motorola box. I found it hard to believe that a remote control would just stop working for no reason but after doing some research, comcast readily admits that they have terrible equipment. But to not be able to change the channel using the box is a  joke to me.

Contributor
fredschultz1956

So if I am able to press cable/hold down setup. Cable blinks twice/ put in code. cable blinks 4 times, Does this rule out the remote as the problem, or could it still be the remote?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

It could still be the problem, if the IR emitter has gone bad (I had that happen on a couple of remotes).   Is there any indication that the remote signal is getting to the cable box?

Contributor
fredschultz1956

none

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Does the box have any means of indicating if it receives a remote signal?  (My DCX3400 has a light on the front that blinks on when anything is sent from the remote.)

Contributor
fredschultz1956

I havent noticed. It certainly isnt blinking to indicate anything right now. I guess I have tried just about everything. Ill just get a new remote and hope that works. Thanks

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

What cable box do you have?

Do you have another Comcast remote on another box you could try?

If you have a DTA, you can try the remote IR receiver that comes with the DTA to plug in the back of the box and see if that helps, either to test or a permanent solution.

See if it responds with the TV off.  It could be light polution from a CFL lamp or the backlighting on the TV.

(Just things to try.)

Contributor
jff6791

Sunlight can also swamp out the IR receiver on these boxes so close shades/blinds or try at nite.

Visitor

Thanks for the advice about checking the "backlight" setting on the television screen.  It appears that my brightness was interfering with the IR of the remote.  I wish I had come here first, rather then Comcast's "ONLINE LIVE CHAT" since after over an HOUR AND A HALF and thier only solution to send out a tech, as I certainly wouldn't be up at 4 am.  Your solution fixed my problem in less then TWO MINUTES...... Cudo's to you.  I hope that Comcast will add "checking the television monitors' settings" to their trouble-shooting checklist......The highlighted in blue below really would have saved all involved both hassle and time.

WarEagle57 wrote:

What cable box do you have?

Do you have another Comcast remote on another box you could try?

If you have a DTA, you can try the remote IR receiver that comes with the DTA to plug in the back of the box and see if that helps, either to test or a permanent solution.

See if it responds with the TV off.  It could be light polution from a CFL lamp or the backlighting on the TV.

(Just things to try.)