New Visitor
Ridel

Resetting Cable Box after extended disconnect

When the cable box is off for an extended period of time, it requires a reset/reboot. I called Comcast and was helped by a live person who simply did something and it reset my cable box. He said that I could have done this on my own using phone prompts.

I will be leaving again and wold like to know how to do this in any other way.

Does anyone know the telephone prompts for this or is there an internet method of resetting the cable box?

I have an Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 but I don't think the model makes a difference.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Resetting Cable Box after extended disconnect

First of all turning the box off does not turn it off, it uses the same power on or off so your not saving anything.  What the person was talking about is if you go into the auto attendant by pressing the prompts for cable not working after a few minutes on hold it will say if you would like to send an auto reset signal to your box press 2.  do that and it will be there quickly.

New Visitor
Xfiniteer

i suggest you try a power cycle first before calling.To do this, unplug the cable box from the power outlet for 30 seconds then plug it back in. This will force the box to reboot/reset and usually after about 5 minutes it will be okay again. This way you can avoid the call prompts or the wait for an agent.

New Visitor
Ridel

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions. The box will be unplugged for sure and it will be about 5 months. I know I will need to reset it or reboot it. I suppose I will test the calling method and in order to know which cable box has to be reset, I will need my account number etc.

I was hoping for a web based reset which I use at our other home when we are away for a long time.

I will post my results of testing.

New Visitor
richobi

I've found you have to go through the prompts over the phone so Comcast can send a signal to the cable box to be recognized as an active box. I've looked but can no way to do it online.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Try comcast.com/activate to hit the box.