Contributor
mwarney

Save video from DVR

I recorded a television show on our DVR that featured an interview with my son.  Is there any way I can get that video on to my computer or some other external storage device?

Thanks!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Save video from DVR

The only way to do it is to play it back and record it in real time on a permanent storage device.  You might also try contacting the TV station to see if they can provide you with a copy of the video.

Contributor
mwarney

Bummer...  I was hoping there was some way to get at it over the network.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

If the DVR has a firewire connection, you can at least get a digital copy with a firewire connection on a computer, although it may not work if copy protection keys are set.

You cannot directly access the data. You can only 'play' it as normal, and record on the computer, but at least it will be a digital copy.

Contributor
mwarney

[ Edited ]

Thanks andyross...  So basically, it sounds like I would need to connect my PC in-line with the DVR some how, and play back the video while capturing it on my PC? (Basically what "WarEagle" said)

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Yes, just as I stated.  Here are the firewire instructions:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Firewire

Contributor
mwarney

[ Edited ]

I am revisiting this issue because I still have the recording saved on my Comcast DVR and I need to transfer it to my PC.  My plan was to purchase a video capture device for my PC, play back the recorded episode from my Comcast DVR, (through the video capture device) and save it to disk.  But when I started researching, I got very confused about whether any of these devices will recognize the playback signals coming from the Comcast DVR.  Does anyone know if this will work?  If my television can play back content from the DVR then is there a PC device that can do the same?  OR... Can I play back the DVR content to my television and connect an output from the TV to a recording device?

Any suggestions on what brand, type, technology etc will work?

Thanks!       

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

It depends on the quality you want. For SD, most any video capture card that supports composite should work. Even a tuner card will work if it supports analog tuning (some don't) and if you tune it to channel 3 and use the RF output, although this is worst-cast.

Basically, the video output is just standard video. That said, it is possible for MacroVision signals to be encoded, and many digital recorders and input cards may block the signal if they detect it.

New Visitor
Rawrrawr

Buy a Dazzle, they work on ANY device, you can record it right to pc without any additional cables.