New Visitor

Scrambled and pixeled on channels I use most

I noticed over the last 24 hours most of the channels I frequent have turned into pixel messes or have a message that says "REF Code soaoo One Moment Please.  This Channel will be available shortly".

This is happening to all my frequent stations and not to the garbage stations. I checked my other tv's (they only have the digital converter box) and the stations are fine on them. My tv is fine and has no picture problem on the junk channels. How do I fix this?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Scrambled and pixeled on channels I use most

[ Edited ]

The error is caused by weak signal levels to your set top box.

If it's one set, check that the coax connectors are snug at the outlet, and back of  the box.  Make sure you are not routing your coax through any AC surge protector strip coax ports.  Check the condition of your coax jumper cable, and check that all connectors are snug at any accessable splitters.

If it just started, the issue can also be outside, with damaged drop, loose / corrorded / wet fittings or upstream into Comcast's RF portion of the plant.  Please call Comcast support and insist on a tech to come out to find and fix the signal issues.  It could be as simple as one loose F connector or damaged drop cable from animals.

Finally it can be the set top box failing.  If the tech comes out, he will determine if the signal levels are proper and decide if it's the equipment.

If you have had Comcast techs out recently and it hasn't gotten fixed, then post back and it will b escalated.

Contributor

I've been having the problem as well.  On the channels I watch most frequently I simply get a message that says channel should be available shortly.

New Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I do have a powered booster on my line. It was put on when the put all these stupid digital boxes on all my tv's. It is obvious when it is off because all tv pictures go out on all sets.

I got rid of the cable box and put one of the other digital boxes on and evrerything works. Bad cable box? I really don't want comcast in my house billing me for their broken garbage. They try to get money from you anyway they can. If I take it in will they exchange it?

Thanks
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If you have a drop amp in the home, you might be overdriving your outlets too.  Digital boxes are easily overdriven by too much signal.

Did a Comcast tech install the drop amp or was a do-it-yourself installation?  Without knowing the signal levels at coming into the house, and knowing the splitter arrangement, there is no way to really know the signal levels, if they are low or hi.

Sometimes a drop amp is put in as a "band-aid" and once  the initial signal issue is corrected, then having the amp inline will supply too much signal and overdrive the digital boxes.

You are welcome to swap the box, but the signal levels are a guess at this point, and digital equipment will only operate in a certain RF level, usually around -10 to +10db of signal at the outlets. 

Without knowing the signal levels, and correcting them if they are off, you will continue to have issues for years.

Visitor

Not only are stations pixelated but service is down 4 hours a day.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

askmrhp

Since your apparently having signal issues to your outlet, you need to contact Comcast support to get out a tech to find and fix your signal issue.

it won't fix itself, and can be caused by a damaged drop cable, loose / corrorded / wet fittings, issues upstream into Comcast's RF portion of the plant, or inside wiring issues with excessive splitting, damaged, poor workmanship or loose fittings.

Check that all F connectors are snug at the TV outlet, back of the box & at any accessable splitters.  Make sure you are not routing your coax cables through any AC surge protector strip coax ports.

Otherwise a tech needs to come out.

Contributor
KD365

We had this problem last fall. The Comcast tech said it was because the cable in our house was 30 years old and did not have the capacity to handle the digital signal. He replaced some of the connectors and added an amplifier. Our picture has been much better since then; although I see some pixelation occasionally. We really need to have the whole cable inside our house replaced. Sometimes Comcast does do things right.